Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 2, 2021 3:23 PM

Feb 2012
More insight into who Lap and Jessica are to Yang with hints of a love triangle (the proposal scene at the spaceport with dialogue muted and only background music was brilliant).

Experiencing the battles in widescreen is a thrill, every bit is cinematic and flashier but that's not to say it's only prettier than the OVA version of the Battle of Astarte, a lot of the changes such as how Lap behaves to Moore and how he dies (no more impalement, just succumbing to the smoke & flames) gives way to a lot of meaning. He has the same ideas as Yang but sucked up to his superiors eventually when they were in the mess hall, which makes us think he might have succeeded like Yang did if he had been more confrontational. But he is more confrontational in this movie, yet just ends up getting arrested, utterly powerless. In the end, forces beyond their control take play and Yang gets his chance to save the surviving fleets from annihilation because Paetta's injured, whereas Moore was too proud and stubborn to surrender.

It does not replace, but complements to the OVA's first two episodes.

Also, Jessica playing Moonlight Sonata šŸ˜„

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 27, 2021 8:51 PM

Jun 2020
still kinda boring ngl lool
Jul 24, 2021 9:43 PM

Sep 2010
Lap's death portrayal here is more tragic as it showed his background along with Yang and Jessica. In the series I was like "meh he died". Here, I got to empathized with him. RIP Jean Robert.

And Reinhard's attitude feels out of character when they were visiting his sister. Didn't expect him to be someone doing upside down stunts then happily conversing with Lady Annerose and Kircheis totally different from his usual serious demeanor or is it his soft side ? I had only watched the 1st episode of the series before watching the 2 movies so idk.

I'm quite amused at the bgm during battle. Classical music playing while ships shoots lasers, fleets exploding, soldiers swallowed by the space... LOL @ the imperial commander who decided to face the enemies instead of advancing forward but died in the end. As Lohengramm said, "He deserves it." Lololol prideful dumbsh!ts

Overall, this movie is good. Gives more clear view of the main series' 1st episode.
SakuRainbowJul 24, 2021 9:51 PM
Apr 3, 2022 4:51 PM

Dec 2007
i'm glad i watched the first 5 episodes of the OVA, not only it ends more or less where these five episodes are, it makes great connections to unspoken plots in the first episodes. the whole triangle between jasseca jean and yang is explained. it's answering a lot by telling us that.
in the OVA the whole "fiancee of soldier" thingy made it looks very american-ish, but the whole background story made different approach from that.

there's also more points of view about each nation -
the empire military men are selfish, they aren't even thinking for the empire own good but themself.
the alliance's men on the other hand can be thinking only about dying in honour as we see with the 4th fleet's commander.
there's more political issues i can extract from this movie, but they are very clear to see.

really great movie that fleshes out the differences between each nations well for my taste.
9/10

(i also enjoyed very much watching remake for the first 2 episodes in widescreen and 1080p quality, it made my day0
User-NameApr 3, 2022 4:54 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» when do i watch this?

Hystique - Nov 3, 2019

16 by Strazdas »»
Feb 14, 2021 5:11 AM

» Can you identify the song towards the end?

aaronrray - Aug 21, 2017

5 by Comander-07 »»
Aug 24, 2017 11:56 AM

» Question

moush - Oct 30, 2008

5 by Alcoholicide »»
May 29, 2010 12:07 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.