Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 26, 2009 6:43 PM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm not sure anyone can make these discussion topics, but ill just make one since no one else made one yet

So, as a hardcore Valkyria Chronicles fan, i have to say this episode was almost blasphemous.

To those who played the game, it was like a severly toned down version of what it used to be. It seems like we are gettng Johann (or Karl in Japanese), and hopefully that will make some changes.

To those who havent played the game yet, this episode might be entertaining, but I still can't believe they did this with Chapter 7 part of the game. Maybe it's just me, but i still can't believe they did this.
May 28, 2009 1:31 AM

Jan 2009
Oh my, this episode was simply <33

Alicia x Welkin moments made my day happy :3 But I guess that's not all. I'm still lol-ing at how weird yet still amazing, Welkin can be. Is he a natural airhead or what?

Animanga Blog: -ALPHANoX- PROJECT
Like anime, manga, otome games or other fandom? Then why not join me in -A-P and be one of the co-authors? ;D PM me if interested xDD♥

Love me, Hate me, I don't care as long as you're with me
May 28, 2009 1:48 AM

Jan 2009
The anime is based upon the manga.

A game straight to anime wouldn't work as well because your controlling the characters.

Also all anime will have time slots, if you wanted extended, etc, you should wait for the dvd.

In regards to the episode, I like the backstory concerning Welkin and his past and this odd Alicia/Welkin relationship.
May 28, 2009 2:34 AM

Nov 2007
Nice episode, nice to find out a bit about Welkin's past and yay finally an episode that seems to centre around the other side "azure witch" interesting =D
May 28, 2009 5:14 AM

Apr 2008
lols Welkin is only interested in lizards

May 28, 2009 5:19 AM

Mar 2008
To be honest, i find the episode interesting. Of course, we lost some important part, and a great battle too. But maybe that was too hard to make it into anime. That was nice to see some scenes about Welkin and Faldio's past in university, even if that doesn't really help the story.

Next episode looks weird, it doesn't seem related to any part of the game... I think they're heading a completely different way now. (Especially since the Barious Ruins are not destroyed, Faldio will not be able to read the scriptures again. And probably, that "event" will not occur)
May 28, 2009 5:19 AM

Jul 2008
kitari said:
Oh my, this episode was simply <33

Alicia x Welkin moments made my day happy :3 But I guess that's not all. I'm still lol-ing at how weird yet still amazing, Welkin can be. Is he a natural airhead or what?

I know what you mean. It's like Welkin is so clueless and so together and in charge all at the same time. And Faldio's lieutenant is so annoying.
May 28, 2009 8:03 AM

Dec 2008
Welkin should have srsly went out with the hot girl from uni
May 28, 2009 8:40 AM

Dec 2007
akuma2002 said:
To be honest, i find the episode interesting. Of course, we lost some important part, and a great battle too. But maybe that was too hard to make it into anime. That was nice to see some scenes about Welkin and Faldio's past in university, even if that doesn't really help the story.

I completely agree with this. I like how they give more background story to the characters in the anime.

akuma2002 said:
T
Next episode looks weird, it doesn't seem related to any part of the game... I think they're heading a completely different way now. (Especially since the Barious Ruins are not destroyed, Faldio will not be able to read the scriptures again. And probably, that "event" will not occur)

It's probably based on the DLC. Also, as far as I know it was stated by the producers that they'd be adding some anime only Faldio and Selvaria scenes.
As for the "event", I think it still will occur. Faldio already has some suspicions and he'll most likely get some more info somehow.
If it doesn't though I'm going to be (probably...it might still turn out good) severly dissapointed. I don't mind them skipping the battles, but changing the plot that much would just be meh. :/
May 28, 2009 9:53 AM

Mar 2009
AlliedG said:

A game straight to anime wouldn't work as well because your controlling the characters.

No it's not. Both The manga & the anime of Valkyria Chronicles tells the game story differently.

PS. Vol 1 of Valkyria Chronicles manga has been scanlated. Go & read it. It's much more better than the anime in terms of the battles they show like the Battle of Vasel bridge.
May 28, 2009 11:10 AM

Jul 2008
was also pretty ok, not too exciting. and next time more from selvaria. lets see how this will turn out.

May 28, 2009 12:40 PM

Feb 2009
I didn't like this anime much at first, but this is the first episode of this anime that I truly liked. Welkin is awesome! And I love Maximilians voice because it reminds me of Lelouch.
May 28, 2009 1:08 PM
Mar 2009
it was cool how they went and gave more important details about each character even that descendant of the valkyrur... temporarily forgot name...

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
May 28, 2009 1:32 PM
Dec 2007
First really good episode of the series, it was quite nice character-wise and had a good atmosphere overall. Interesting, I wish more episodes were like that.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 28, 2009 1:43 PM

Jul 2008
wow
pretty good episode and was nice to see that bullet block in the beginning
looking forward to next episode in seeing Selvaria's powers =D
May 28, 2009 1:52 PM

Feb 2008
Aaaaw~ Baby Lizards. :3
Well, good episode. Need more Salveria though.
May 28, 2009 3:45 PM
Jul 2018
AlliedG said:

Also all anime will have time slots, if you wanted extended, etc, you should wait for the dvd.

In regards to the episode, I like the backstory concerning Welkin and his past and this odd Alicia/Welkin relationship.

.... u do know game was completely linear right?
May 28, 2009 8:01 PM

Apr 2009
lol @ Welkin breaking the mood with Alicia. Plus Fortress tank FTW!! lol
May 28, 2009 8:19 PM

Jan 2008
Lol at Alicia's face when Welkin asked about the lizards XD
May 28, 2009 9:05 PM

Sep 2007
Alicia x Faldio plz.

And Selvaria's awesome.
May 28, 2009 9:21 PM

Aug 2008
Really? Good?

Am I the only one who thought this was boring and cliched to hell? The place caving in, Welkin saving Alicia, Faldio getting hurt, Alicia saying, "Welkin will save us!"

Everything was absolutely predictable.
Also, I found Selvaria's proportions very off putting.

Not a bad episode, but very close.
May 28, 2009 10:34 PM
Aug 2008
Meh. Overall the anime feels pretty generic which is sad because the game is so damn good. Everything is pretty predictable in this anime.
May 29, 2009 12:11 AM

May 2008
but Alicia, she 's amazing ^^
May 29, 2009 2:54 AM

Sep 2008
I really enjoyed this episode, i think the way it was done was great. Yea some of the ideas were cliche but a ton of things are cliche or done before these days. I only mind if it's one of those 2 and not done very well. I personally thought this episode did it very well though. Some nice back story, some development between the characters, and look into what maximilian is like. Overall great episode. Really don't like the gay guy though, hes like a very bad comedy tool.
May 29, 2009 3:18 AM

Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
Really? Good?

Am I the only one who thought this was boring and cliched to hell? The place caving in, Welkin saving Alicia, Faldio getting hurt, Alicia saying, "Welkin will save us!"
Pretty much the same here. Wasn't especially bad, but quite slow and boring.
May 29, 2009 5:03 AM
Mar 2009
I thought it was a good episode. Much better than some of the others, and it was animated well as well.

I thought the characters portrayed what they were like in the game better in this episode aswell. Alicia's character is pretty much exactly like this episode, not like the tsundere version in the others.

I thought the back story was pretty cool. However, I'm hoping to see Welkin as a leader. It only implies that he's been a good leader in battle so far. Hopefully we can see him commanding his troops to take out that tank.
May 29, 2009 7:44 AM

Jan 2008
This episode wasn't that bad for me, 'cause I got to see more of Selvaria. Also, Loved Alicia's expression when Welkin suddenly broke the moment and started asking about the lizards. She's awesome.

I assume that huge tank is the Imperial's secret weapon. (never played the actual game). It'll be fun watching Welkin taking that down.

May 29, 2009 12:39 PM

Jul 2008
that was a huge tank! and he just destroyed the ruins like that! but thanks to welkins knowledge of animals they made it through, barely; and that military regular guy couldn't defend that place at all, leave it to the malitia
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
May 29, 2009 1:29 PM

Feb 2009
Selvaria : "Hi, my name's Raiden and I can cut bullets fired at me."

This was different from the game and it sucked. They didn't even destroy Maximilian's ridiculous tank n° 1.
May 29, 2009 2:58 PM

Feb 2009
that was my favorite episode so far, I just loved it :)!! Love the Alicia x Welkin parts and the part at the end when Welkin wants to know about the baby lizards XD!!
May 29, 2009 4:02 PM

Jan 2009
Welkin sure knows how to mess up a moment
Welkin is has to be one of the smartest people in the show yet he is still one of the most clueless people
so how were those babysitter lizards
May 29, 2009 5:08 PM

Mar 2009
Great ep...finally, they've taken this series a step further, and added the witch and the mega-tank. I've never played the game, but I knew there had to be more to this show. Now I'm really excited to see more. And, the Welkin/Faldio flashback was epic!! And, Alicia's reaction to seeing Welkin once she got free from the rubble was OMG so awesome...Urahara Out!!
Sent with Mal Updater
May 29, 2009 5:17 PM

Jul 2008
AlliedG said:

1: Like said the anime is not based upon the manga but upon the games.

2: There's a lot of adaptation of games to anime, I don't know what the fuck your argument are about? If I understood well an anime can't begood when based on a game because in a game you are controlling the character? Sorry sir/miss you did something wrong

3: Having time slot don't mean that they can't adapt the game to the number of episode they have at their disposition. It's the role of the studio to do it correctly hence why some are angry because they cutted what they thought was a good part to be animated. Plus I didn't heard about any DVD set featuring episode related to the story. It is most of the time filler episode ( often called X.5, X being the episode before the ova story unfold), last episode being DVD only or completely special features.

Well just don't jump to conclusion so hastly next time =/.

As for the episode itself I found it good. Was loling at Faldio's face when the girl cutted the bullet.
May 29, 2009 8:04 PM

May 2009
probably one of the best episodes in terms of character development. liked the welkin/alicia scenes :D
May 29, 2009 9:23 PM

Apr 2009
Kvakond said:
Pretty much the same here. Wasn't especially bad, but quite slow and boring.

Ditto. I felt the same.

Hopefully next episode would make up for it.
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
May 29, 2009 10:52 PM
Mar 2008
Just got to that tank battle in the game, Selvaria raeps.
May 30, 2009 6:12 PM

May 2008
Welkin should do something funny to Selvaria, that would be cool

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 30, 2009 8:47 PM

Jun 2007
I liked this episode. There wasn't a whole lot going on but it was entertaining :) I loved the ending. It was half predictable and half "omg you did not just ask about the lizards" XD

I've Been Watching Anime for 20 years now. Can you beat that?
May 30, 2009 11:12 PM

Dec 2007
Selvaria is so awesome that makes her amazing since she can deflect the bullet by using her sword. She is mysterious character; indeed, it makes her interesting character as well. Furthermore, I have an interest on learning about the history for Valkyria. I loved Alicia/Welkin scenes, and I totally loved Selvaria scenes. Welkin may be smart man, but he is so dense as always, and Alicia’s expression is priceless after he asked her about lizards. Faldio and Welkin’s flashback were nice. After I watched the preview, it makes me excited to watch it because there’s more Selvaria scenes in the next episode.
May 31, 2009 7:41 PM

Jan 2008
I am gradually pleased by this show in this episode. Quite predictable but it's okay. The show started so very cliche anyway. Compare to the slow progress of 07-Ghost, the story pacing up to now is just alright.
Jun 7, 2009 1:07 PM

Jan 2008
Incredible animation and interesting music of the huge tank! Nice episode.
Jul 12, 2009 12:41 AM

May 2008
I love Welkin's care-free attitude. Gonna try that sometime :D
Jul 24, 2009 12:39 PM

Jun 2008
I haven't played the game, so as for me I really loved this episode. Not really sure that the story really went anywhere, aside from the Valkyru still being alive. But it had some great tender moments and laughs.
Aug 29, 2009 5:53 PM

Aug 2008
Cmon now Welkin I KNOW you could have moved out of the way of that falling debris, but then again Faldio and Alicia wouldn't have their little moment of flashbacks. overall good episode.

And seriously how does Varrot not just SLAP Damon and say CMON MAN LOOK AT THE RESULTS THE REGULARS ARE DROPPING LIKE FLIES AND THEIR COMMANDERS ARE MORONS!

Before promptly readjusting her glasses and adding Sir

Feb 11, 2010 11:21 PM

Mar 2007
After seeing the tank from a different angle other than ground level from the game, that tank is rediculously inefficent. But its still awesome to see it in action.

And TC don't expect this to be exact replica of the game. Everything has an order and reason to it. It's trying to tell a story instead of being a band of brothers style war movie. It makes more sense having a hand full of people run into the emperor instead a platoon raiding the place. Someone would definitely take pot shots at him.

I was expecting Hans to sniff out welkin but that didnt happen :(
I do wish there there was more air time for the snipers of Squad 7

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Feb 11, 2010 11:33 PM

Mar 2007
Loved the episdoe and Quit crying about how its not faithful to the game... its a game, ment to consume time. Anime doesn't have that luxary of a 40 hours worth of anime (im sure its damn expensive) I was expecting Hans to find where they were buried but that didn't happen.

Good backstory, and why does Alicia/Yoko have to be so awesome.

And did anyone see the how crazy hot the manga draws Isara (as shown as the Ayako
fansub credit screen at the end)

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jun 24, 2010 12:54 AM

Sep 2008
orangehouse said:
lols Welkin is only interested in lizards

Not entirely true. :D Welkin was blushing a little bit when Alicia said how relieved she was that he was safe... Although... You may be right... Maybe his underlying objective in saving them was to find out from them how babysitter lizards feed their young, haha. I liked both the Alicia x Faldio moments (if you can even call them that) and the little Alicia x Welkin moment at the end. :)

Ramal is started to annoy me a little bit, too. And, for sure, I am the only one who is kind of indifferent about Selvaria. XD'' Shame on me?
Jul 3, 2010 8:30 PM

Aug 2007
dear god, what a terrible episode. Not only did they derail a great chapter in the desert, but the amount of OOCness just continues to grow exponentially. This is worse than seeing Jeager chase some skirts around. Almost. This isn't even about being faithful to the game anymore, it's just... completely different and offbase. So disappointing.

Also. Those impressed by Selvaria deflecting a simple bullet... in the game, she deflected a tank shell. Much more badass.
Sep 5, 2010 11:00 PM
Jul 2009
Ramal=annoying
Sep 29, 2010 6:42 PM

Jan 2010
I still can't get over how fricking huge Selvaria's rack is.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» is the story complete in anime form?

NaughtySempai - Feb 2

8 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 3, 3:29 AM

» Never got dubbed?

searingdark - Sep 15, 2023

3 by Levo »»
Oct 26, 2023 4:12 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

daniking79 - Jul 4, 2009

76 by SSGHOKAGE »»
May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

japanme32 - Apr 11, 2009

101 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:26 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hazelnutman - Apr 4, 2009

156 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.