Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
May 22, 2009 2:20 AM

Mar 2008
Very nice episode. I was already wondering what exactly happened there in Junior High, but now we know. ^__^
May 22, 2009 2:22 AM

Oct 2007
Lol it's ranked at #62 after just one episode? Haruhi fans are scary xD
May 22, 2009 2:26 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
Wow. 53 people on MAL are idiots for rating it already. FUCK YEAH LET'S RATE A SHOW AFTER ONE EPISODE. I bet the reviews will be coming soon.
I think my fucking record is broken cos I keep hearing the same shit every day. While I agree about the reviews, let em rate the anime. It's not like you can't change the ratings at any given time. In most cases the series all receive a little score drop when the final episode aired and people complete their entries. The system is not perfect.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 22, 2009 2:31 AM

Oct 2008
I had forgotten how great Haruhi is.
May 22, 2009 2:41 AM
Jan 2009
cyruz said:
It's not like you can't change the ratings at any given time. In most cases the series all receive a little score drop when the final episode aired and people complete their entries.

right, like i usually give a first impressions rating, then a mid way rating, then a final score once i've finished it

the world won't come to an end just because a bunch of people rated it upon euphoria over the new episode, that will change in due time

also i got to see the sub this morning and it's so nice having the series back, now my life is complete
May 22, 2009 2:44 AM

Jul 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Wow. 53 people on MAL are idiots for rating it already. FUCK YEAH LET'S RATE A SHOW AFTER ONE EPISODE. I bet the reviews will be coming soon.

Wow. People on MAL are idiots for caring. FAHSUHSKDASD
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
May 22, 2009 2:53 AM

Jan 2009
WOOT! >.<

I can't believe it! A 2nd season right before my very eyes!

Sucks there isn't a new Hare Hare Yukai though. :/
May 22, 2009 2:55 AM

Aug 2007
Hato-kun said:
Wow, I really don't like Drunk_Samurai....

Of course you do. Because you're another one of the idiots who rated it after only one episode.

Hikari-tan said:

Nah. Just stupid.
May 22, 2009 2:58 AM

Aug 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hato-kun said:

Of course you do. Because you're another one of the idiots who rated it after only one episode.

Well, you can't really talk. You watch Naruto, Bleach and you liked Code Geass.

May 22, 2009 3:04 AM

Jun 2008
i agree with the first too (naruto/bleach, not a big fan...or much of a fan at all), otherwise, i am so dissapointed in you. So so dissapointed...

First ep was good, a bit TL;DR, but good
May 22, 2009 3:05 AM

Apr 2007
I think reviewing a series after seeing just one episode is pretty stupid.

But anyway, the new episode seemed ok. Would've been better if I understood Japanese better.
May 22, 2009 3:06 AM

Jul 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hato-kun said:

Hikari-tan said:

Nah. Just stupid.

While I don't support rating after the first episode, I do think you're quite retarded for caring so much.
May 22, 2009 3:10 AM

Apr 2009
Hal Ail Suzumiya Haruhi-sama \o/
\°(> °__° <)°/ ~ Les chats E.T. domineront le monde~
May 22, 2009 3:12 AM

Aug 2008
Aeiou said:

While I don't support rating after the first episode, I do think you're quite retarded for caring so much.

Why are these people that haven't even watched the episode commenting here... I mean, you may not have updated your list yet, but still.

May 22, 2009 3:27 AM

Aug 2007
Hato-kun said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hato-kun said:

Well, you can't really talk. You watch Naruto, Bleach and you liked Code Geass.

Naruto sucks. So does Bleach. I don't drop anything. R1 was actually good and R2 killed it.

Aeiou said:

I don't really care too much. Just pointing out how stupid they are.

Hato-kun said:
Aeiou said:

Why are these people that haven't even watched the episode commenting here... I mean, you may not have updated your list yet, but still.

You don't need to watch something to know that only idiots rate something after 1 episode.
May 22, 2009 3:34 AM

Feb 2009
Wow 10 pages already.

So first of all I didn't like the first season (hence I gave it a 4/10, yeah you can burn me after this) so I wasn't expecting much for this new episode. The only reason I watched it was to see if the second season of an overhyped show can actually be entertaining, at least more than the first.

Well I must admit that I found it pretty good. The time traveling theme was well done, mikuru is still so moe, and young Haruhi bossing around was fun to see. Now I just hope they'll keep this up.
May 22, 2009 3:51 AM

Aug 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:

Naruto sucks. So does Bleach. I don't drop anything. R1 was actually good and R2 killed it.

They were both pretty Meh, but R2 was worse. I agree there.

Drunk_Samurai said:

You don't need to watch something to know that only idiots rate something after 1 episode.

Well, I'm a Haruhi / Yuki / Mikuru / Kyon fag. Cut me some slack.

May 22, 2009 4:10 AM

Jan 2008
I rated after one episode and I will get higher or get down with the rating while the show is going on. So where is the problem with that?

Nice episode, very calm and dialog'ish.
May 22, 2009 4:12 AM

Jul 2008
Great episode. I have a good feeling about this, that was awesome. Glad to have Kyon's sarcasm and Haruhi's absurd ideas back into my life. That was every bit as good as the first series.
May 22, 2009 4:27 AM
Feb 2008
Pretty good episode. I approve.

Kyon's narration was as great as ever.
May 22, 2009 4:38 AM

Jan 2008
I liked it, I wonder how long will it be :p
May 22, 2009 4:43 AM

Apr 2009
Wow. Didn't expect this.
May 22, 2009 4:51 AM

Jun 2008
Ya'll can have Mio. But Mikuru is mine.
May 22, 2009 5:12 AM

Mar 2008
What the fuck is with the animation compared to season 1 it felt like i was watching Haruhi (that kiddie thing thats airing) and ive only seen one preview of it...
May 22, 2009 5:36 AM

Dec 2008
WTF?! Haruhi S2, not Haruhi Chan?
for me this came out of nowhere
WTF XD
must watch now!

see ya
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2009 5:46 AM

May 2008
Boring episode. The first season was pretty hit or miss so I'll keep watching for now probably, but if KyoAni keeps up with this, "we don't even have to try and it will sell like hotcakes" attitude similar to the one Sunrise has I'll be dropping this shortly.
May 22, 2009 5:56 AM

Jul 2008
Hato-kun said:
Aeiou said:

If you look at my list & history, you'll see I only update once in a blue moon and I can't be bothered to rate stuff either.

(I've watched it.)
May 22, 2009 6:12 AM

Oct 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hikari-tan said:

Nah. Just stupid.

I'm starting to agree with that now.. I have nothing against Haruhi, in fact its a good series, but come on; it's now rated at #22. It's gone up by 40 places in just a few hours when only one episode has aired. Now to me, that seems stupid and overhyped. How can that one episode be better than the whole of the first series? That's what the ranking system is saying, basically.
May 22, 2009 6:12 AM

Feb 2008
It's ranked 22 now? That's just ridiculous.
May 22, 2009 6:17 AM

Dec 2008
Ok i've got a question...the fansubbers that are picking up S2...are they only posting the new episodes? Like http://coalguys.com/, they are showing Season 2 Ep. 1 But that is really the eighth Ep. of this season?

Holy Jebus Haruhi confuses me...

May 22, 2009 6:18 AM

Nov 2007
Hikari-tan said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hikari-tan said:

Nah. Just stupid.

I'm starting to agree with that now.. I have nothing against Haruhi, in fact its a good series, but come on; it's now rated at #22. It's gone up by 40 places in just a few hours when only one episode has aired. Now to me, that seems stupid and overhyped. How can that one episode be better than the whole of the first series? That's what the ranking system is saying, basically.

its no different from R2 after 2 episodes it was already top 5
May 22, 2009 6:19 AM

Feb 2008
seeker1458 said:
Ok i've got a question...the fansubbers that are picking up S2...are they only posting the new episodes? Like [url=http://coalguys.com/]http://coalguys.com/, they are showing Season 2 Ep. 1 But that is really the eighth Ep. of this season?

The other episodes that have aired have been from season 1. No point subbing something that's already been subbed.
May 22, 2009 6:43 AM

Apr 2008
Hraesvelgr said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
It doesn't matter if you're going to change your rating later. You're still an idiot for rating it after only 1 episode.
Don't call people idiots for doing what they want, bro.

well it is pretty dumb , almost as dumb as all those people writing reviews for full metal brotherhood after the first episode... idiots should be called idiots

seeker1458 said:
Ok i've got a question...the fansubbers that are picking up S2...are they only posting the new episodes? Like [url=http://coalguys.com/]http://coalguys.com/, they are showing Season 2 Ep. 1 But that is really the eighth Ep. of this season?

Yuki fansubs have been doing the whole reairing and imo even though coal guys is good gg is still fail so i'm staying away from it.
LvhinaMay 22, 2009 6:49 AM
May 22, 2009 7:03 AM

Oct 2007
game8910 said:
Hikari-tan said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hikari-tan said:

Nah. Just stupid.

its no different from R2 after 2 episodes it was already top 5

I know, and that was more than outrageously stupid.
May 22, 2009 7:12 AM

Feb 2008
Loverhina said:
imo even though coal guys is good gg is still fail so i'm staying away from it.
Good decision, retarded release. Mazui v2 is the best version so far by miles. Minus the video quality maybe.
May 22, 2009 7:14 AM
May 2008
Well, it finally aired and to be that start of a new season wasn't too bad. However isn't the next new episode supposed to be released in a month or so... that's too long of a wait.
Dead Account
Please Delete
May 22, 2009 8:03 AM

Feb 2009
haruhi haruhi haruhi haruhi haruhi haruhi
My pokemon bring all the boys to the yard...
May 22, 2009 8:07 AM

Apr 2008
wee ~ finally out xD haha john smith xD

May 22, 2009 8:08 AM
Dec 2008
haruhi haruhi haruhi haruhi haruhi haruhi
hell, yes!

Very nice epsiode, I'm glad it feels like season 1!

Young Haruhi moe.
May 22, 2009 8:19 AM

Feb 2009
I watched the ep and it almost feels like there's nothing going on in my head. I mean, after soooo long, here it is. It's like being handed a million dollars, you don't know how to react.

haruhi, tho :3
My pokemon bring all the boys to the yard...
May 22, 2009 8:31 AM
Jan 2009
Wow,finally came out!!
That was a pretty awesome episodes. I love how everything with the past and present ties up like that. Too bad I already read the novels though. The art seems different,cuter. But I like it better. Younger Haruhi was so cute. Mikuru was so cute too, x3 and of course Yuki was cool. I miss her with her glasses!
May 22, 2009 8:35 AM

Apr 2009
I liked it :3
May 22, 2009 8:43 AM

Dec 2008
Bakayaro said:
first + What's with the new ED and no awesome dancing?

very ture buit the first ending is better than the 2.
May 22, 2009 9:30 AM

Aug 2007
narutojapan64 said:
Bakayaro said:
first + What's with the new ED and no awesome dancing?

very ture buit the first ending is better than the 2.

Who said that's the real ED? That could be the OP and they just put it as the ED that ep. I wouldn't put it past them...
May 22, 2009 9:38 AM

Feb 2009
that episode was like a breath of fresh air!
was good to see it hasnt changed and has the exact same feel as the previous season.
May 22, 2009 9:48 AM

Jun 2008
Absolutely loved it! I was worried that the well might be running dry when compared to season 1. But judging form this episode alone, it still has that entertaining/creepy/humor from the first season. I hope all the episodes are this good!
May 22, 2009 10:00 AM

Dec 2008
Im really happy that haruhi is finally back

For me it's a little complicated when they refer to the order of the episodes of Season 1.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2009 10:17 AM
Dec 2007
Interesting episode but I expected something more after having read the novels way back, since this chapter was my favourite of the whole series (let alone the very foundation of the story). And unfortunately, the animation and art are exactly like those of the first season, which is not really good 3 years later. But well, my expectations were too high, guess I was too greedy.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 22, 2009 11:32 AM
Jan 2009
After re-watching the episode with better subs, I can say that this episode made me more interested than all of season 1 managed. Season 1 didn't have a great impression on me, but the characters kept it going for me, but I think they're going to do a great job with this season if this episode is any indicator. But geez, they really played up Asahina's crying this episode, but, what else can you expect?

I just hope there isn't a dance.
May 22, 2009 12:11 PM
Dec 2007
Adore several of the new music pieces~ in particular, the one that plays when Haruhi is looking outside the window in a melancholic fashion. And the one that plays in Nagato's apartment. It's nice to hear some old pieces, too, like the one that played at the start of the episode when everyone was in school. Mikuru saying 'shhhh!' was just far too adorable~ I was suddenly reminded of Ichigo Mashimaro's Matsuri when she did that, too.

Meeting younger!Haruhi seemed more dramatic reading then watching, actually. Seemed pretty frivolous, although I liked the distance between Haruhi and Kyon during the conversation. Still don't like the ending, at all. Like the visuals towards the end, but I don't like the song at all, and I doubt that it will grow on me. Oh, well. I'm still hoping that with the next new episode, a new opening will come with it.

Yeah, I'm pretty worried about the animation style the studio is taking recently. Sure, they've improved quite a lot since three years ago, but it's getting far too simplistic. The original Haruhi anime had beautiful animation, although the faces did look off at times. I'm looking at several Haruhi posters now from that time, and the eyes, mouth, and nose are looking rather odd. Reminiscent of that, 'am I cute, uguu?' meme where there's a shopped image of Kanon's Ayu's face.

You can mainly tell the difference here.

In the former images, the characters are drawn in a sharper fashion, while the latter has all soft, rounded edges, with a softer palette to match. Everyone looks far younger, and Nagato looks completely different. She is supposed to a be stoic character, with a poker face on at all times. However, in the newer artwork, she seems to have a look of wonder, or mild interest. I preferred the sharper, older Nagato. I completely despise the new Nagato's hair. Far too stylized. The older Nagato's hair is just... there. But this one's is all tousled. I wouldn't say that KyoAni are trying to up her appeal, since really, they don't need to, but it still feels like they're trying to change her. Perhaps this is all in anticipation of the shy Nagato in Disappearance, since the new Nagato certainly suits her more.

Even the boys don't escape this treatment. They too look even more childish, and next to Nagato, I hate what they've done to Kyon the most. Kyon is supposed to be a painfully average looking character, but, it's also like KyoAni are trying to up his appeal, too.

The only new design I like is Mikuru's. Although she looks far younger, it's a part of her character, and she is supposed to be all soft. And I quite like the eyes too, I suppose. More expression.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Sign here if you watch all eight episodes of Endless Eight. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shuffleair - Aug 13, 2009

1538 by Rhae »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

536 by Zucned »»
May 7, 2:46 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

292 by Generose »»
Apr 12, 11:11 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 30, 2009

276 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:45 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jul 23, 2009

360 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.