Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
May 21, 2009 9:09 PM
May 2009
noteDhero said:
I liked the episode, especially the chess metaphor at the end and a lot of the little details that Kyon explained in the tail-end.

I also like the ED song. It's like a re-mix of the old ending with different(?) lyrics. It's a good move for those fanboys who can't let go of the past.

hmm really? so it's still hare hare yukai but different lyrics?
May 21, 2009 9:13 PM

Nov 2008
This first episode was definitely worthy of a 10/10 in my book. I'm sure many with me adjust their ratings while watching new episodes so it isn't wrong or bad to give it an initially high rating. I think I must go read that first Haruhi novel now. I'm too hyper from watching the episode. <.<; I sense there will be a rewatch when a new version is out with better image quality.

My only worry now is that it might take long until the next new episode is out... I hope I worry for nothing.

noteDhero said:
I also like the ED song. It's like a re-mix of the old ending with different(?) lyrics. It's a good move for those fanboys who can't let go of the past.

I like the ED, too. It definitely reminded me of the old theme song. *goes to listen to the old themes*
Hi! My name is yama. I am niced to meet you.
May 21, 2009 9:18 PM
May 2009
wait....what is the ED like and was there a op?
May 21, 2009 9:19 PM

Aug 2008
zeroexia said:
noteDhero said:
I liked the episode, especially the chess metaphor at the end and a lot of the little details that Kyon explained in the tail-end.

I'm not really sure. I never knew the lyrics, but this seems different, but because the music is the same (if a bit in diminution) I got a little confused.
May 21, 2009 9:20 PM

Mar 2008
maybe it's just me or the art has changed just slightly. they've taken a bit of the art style from haruhi-chan (the good art style bits) and a bit of K-ON (spesh the moeness for mikuru), butof course the heart of it all is still haruhi goodness.
May 21, 2009 9:21 PM
May 2009
noteDhero said:
zeroexia said:
noteDhero said:

I'm not really sure. I never knew the lyrics, but this seems different, but because the music is the same (if a bit in diminution) I got a little confused.

so the music is the same but the lyrics are different. Hmm oh well, i'm sure that at the end of S2, they'll probably have the original Hare Hare Yukai dance for the fans.
May 21, 2009 9:23 PM

Apr 2008
YadGadge said:
Dattebayo released episode 1. Are there any other groups working on this, that might be more worth waiting for? Think I watched AFK's releases for Season 1.

Watched the raw but for fansubs i would wait for Yuki Fansubs .
May 21, 2009 9:24 PM
May 2009
co_flame said:
maybe it's just me or the art has changed just slightly. they've taken a bit of the art style from haruhi-chan (the good art style bits) and a bit of K-ON (spesh the moeness for mikuru), butof course the heart of it all is still haruhi goodness.

so there's different animation for this episode?
May 21, 2009 9:27 PM

Aug 2008
I think it's just KyoAni polishing their production. I liked seeing the Kyon expressions from Haruhi-chan because it matches the Japanese va's interpretation of Kyon, though not so much the english va's, but he'll adapt. I didn't see anything really K-On in what Mikuru did though. And I hope it stays that way.
May 21, 2009 9:31 PM

May 2009
Crap... Can somebody tell me where I can DL or watch this online? D:

May 21, 2009 9:31 PM
May 2009
well
noteDhero said:
I think it's just KyoAni polishing their production. I liked seeing the Kyon expressions from Haruhi-chan because it matches the Japanese va's interpretation of Kyon, though not so much the english va's, but he'll adapt. I didn't see anything really K-On in what Mikuru did though. And I hope it stays that way.

well i can't wait to watch it. i'm sure that it'll be good no matter what. Oh yea, i'm thinking of Higurashi Rei where the animation is updated and looks much better. Although i haven't seen the gory parts if any yet lol
May 21, 2009 9:33 PM
May 2009
Tobi-sama said:
Crap... Can somebody tell me where I can DL or watch this online? D:

Animeseason, Zomganime, Maybe even youtube. ANY ANIME WEBSITE SHOULD BE SHOWING THIS.
May 21, 2009 9:34 PM

Jul 2008
Whaaa, I missed Mikuru sooo much ! *---------------*
And Haruhi didn't feel that annoying anymore, don't know why.

May 21, 2009 9:38 PM

Apr 2008
It was a very interesting episode. Little Haruhi looks cute ^^

May 21, 2009 9:39 PM

Aug 2007
takarayama said:
This first episode was definitely worthy of a 10/10 in my book. I'm sure many with me adjust their ratings while watching new episodes so it isn't wrong or bad to give it an initially high rating.

It doesn't matter if you're going to change your rating later. You're still an idiot for rating it after only 1 episode.
May 21, 2009 9:48 PM

Jul 2007
This thread gives me headaches. Review (RE-view, getit?) after one episode, people who hate it because too many people like it (I call it the windows/linux-syndrome), some sort of kiddy-wars about the ranking list here, and what not. I know it will never change, because common sense is long dead, and I guess it is a discussion thread after all.. but.. geez..

Anyway, I'm happy Haruhi is back on TV too. One way (flaws!) or the other (fanboyism!). Also, right "in-the-face" with an awesome arc.. altho I didn't find it as spectacular as in written form in the manga/novels.
In any case.. the video quality of what's currently available for watching is horrible. And I didn't really pay attention to the ED somehow -_- Maybe because I was still mezmerized and in disbelief mode.. so, this will definitely need rewatching!
May 21, 2009 9:50 PM

Oct 2007
good ep
good start
can't wait for more
May 21, 2009 9:51 PM
Sep 2007
... kawaii.
May 21, 2009 9:55 PM
Jun 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
It doesn't matter if you're going to change your rating later. You're still an idiot for rating it after only 1 episode.
Don't call people idiots for doing what they want, bro.
May 21, 2009 10:00 PM

Sep 2007
Despite all the time traveling, this season seems to make a lot more sense than the first one (at least the episodes are in order, I think). The character designs are better, too. I've always hated Haruhi, but hopefully season 2 will change my mind.

May 21, 2009 10:09 PM

Apr 2009
I expect to have a problem with reality after this series ends probably before.
Haruhi Forever
I am the light and the darkness tossed away by fate.
I am hope and despair needed by all and to none.
I am CuresDestiny.
Fear me or Not it is all the same to me.
<insert maniacal laughter here>

May 21, 2009 10:11 PM
Mar 2009
great ep, tis good to see them back :D
May 21, 2009 10:16 PM

Jan 2008
"John Smith" made me laugh XD
Pretty good episode. Time travelling is always a mind fuck.
May 21, 2009 10:21 PM
Apr 2009
Great episode I gotta say !
Its good to see that this series is back and it will kick ass once again :D

Unregistered00 written down this in his review,

and I fought it would be great if all the fan sees it..
its the full list of the episode(chronological order) that should complete the wonderful series of Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
but he stated the sources he used was various and unverified sources
(no I didnt intend to steal others research.. just want to share to everyone.)

01. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part I OLD
02. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part II OLD
03. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part III OLD
04. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part IV OLD
05. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part V OLD
06. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part VI OLD
07. The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya OLD
08. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody part I NEW
09. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody part II NEW
10. Mysterique Sign OLD
11. Endless Eight part I NEW
12. Endless Eight part II NEW
13. Remote Island Syndrome part I OLD
14. Remote Island Syndrome part II OLD
15. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part I NEW
16. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part II NEW
17. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part III NEW
18. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part IV NEW
19. The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 OLD
20. Live Alive OLD
21. The Day of Sagittarius OLD
22. Someday in the Rain OLD
23. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part I NEW
24. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part II NEW
25. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part III NEW
26. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part IV NEW
27. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part V NEW
28. The Disappearence of Haruhi Suzumiya part VI NEW

Vaplao : In other words, the new "season" is a series of 14 episodes,
it will include inserted episodes like this one^ and sequel eps.
but I seen somewhere that the new episodes will be show by chronological order
but the source is unclear so we will have to wait to see if they gonna go for a non linear broadcast which they should
cuz its an element that makes this anime unique ! or a chronological one O: anyways,
long livee Haruhi Suzumiya :D
May 21, 2009 10:30 PM

Jul 2008
time traveling... it hurts my brain >_<
the whole going to sleep together was funny, but it wasn't like they were in the same bed, but still lol, pl;us sleeping for 3 years and knowing you were in the other room at one in point in time has to be pretty trippy.
and also no signature dance?
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
May 21, 2009 10:39 PM

Feb 2009
awesome episode i have to say i've enjoyed it ^^ and the mikuru time traveling thing was great and i didn't even know that there were two kyons in the same time plain back when i watched the first one... o_o
May 21, 2009 10:42 PM

Feb 2009
lol, 8 pages of comments already :D Can't argue with the popularity and hype around Haruhi. Great episode with hilarious moments and crazy time traveling... vintage Haruhi. Can't wait to see more new episodes.
May 21, 2009 10:55 PM
Jan 2008
ZoiQ said:
lol impatient ppl

The wait started 3 years ago. :P
May 21, 2009 10:59 PM

Apr 2008
A good fun episode, great to see Haruhi back. My only problem is the way their doing it. Sure it makes sense with it now all being in chronological order but it's almost 3 years after the fact the first series started and now their intertwining it with the first season that's being re-aired. It's kind of a headache is all but overall no complaints with the new episode. It was fun, funny, enjoyable, and the in-depthness of time traveling was cool.
May 21, 2009 11:11 PM

Feb 2009
Invisiblemoose said:
ZoiQ said:
lol impatient ppl

The wait started 3 years ago. :P

it sure seems that way for those who were planning on watching it ^^
May 21, 2009 11:11 PM

Nov 2007
I really loved this part in the novels and I loved it now too. Young Haruhi, ftw. I still don't get Yuki's explanations though...

ED was great.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
May 21, 2009 11:14 PM

Aug 2008
Vaplao said:
01. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part I OLD
02. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part II OLD
03. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part III OLD
04. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part IV OLD
05. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part V OLD
06. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part VI OLD
07. The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya OLD
08. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody part I NEW
09. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody part II NEW
10. Mysterique Sign OLD
11. Endless Eight part I NEW
12. Endless Eight part II NEW
13. Remote Island Syndrome part I OLD
14. Remote Island Syndrome part II OLD
15. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part I NEW
16. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part II NEW
17. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part III NEW
18. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part IV NEW
19. The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 OLD
20. Live Alive OLD
21. The Day of Sagittarius OLD
22. Someday in the Rain OLD
23. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part I NEW
24. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part II NEW
25. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part III NEW
26. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part IV NEW
27. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part V NEW
28. The Disappearence of Haruhi Suzumiya part VI NEW
Crossed Number 9 'cause we already had watched everything that happens within that event....

Lol the hype is incredible... I gotta confess I'm on the hyper mode along with some others.... But damn I totally agree with you Avarice and you my dear Drunk_Samurai.... It's totally lame an anime is rated just after one episode... by the way can anyone tell which's the rank of K-ON!?? I suppose is overrated already right? No worries this will get better for sure.... But please people keep calm and objectively rate the show.... As for me it's impossible to say something about it for just one episode... Say past half of the whole episode count of the series... but just one? NO impossible :P

As far this episode is the clear mirror of its novel counterpart.... I gotta admit I loved that Mikuru... the total epitome of a Hentai XD... It was cool to see Haruhi as a child... And see that Kyon back with his internal monologues :P And man Haruhi was great!!! I totally love her n_n

And oh the ED was nice... Kinda like a remix of the old ED... Will miss the dance thou :P Hope new eps come soon... Sooner than in one month :P So keep the posts coming!

Signs,
Green
rebwatersMay 21, 2009 11:18 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2009 11:47 PM

Apr 2009
dang it you guys are fast! i really dont want a sequel but its ok though
PM me and let's be friends.
May 21, 2009 11:47 PM

Mar 2009
I just saw it again on Youtube (yes youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1WSvEJE4s
May 21, 2009 11:51 PM

Dec 2007
It's great to see Haruhi back, even though the hype is ridiculous. Mikuru is so damn cute.
Little Haruhi is awesome :D
Oh and John Smith is the most original name ever!
[color=#3399CC]All credit goes to Daika-san.
[/color]
May 22, 2009 12:04 AM

May 2008
CurseDestiny said:
I expect to have a problem with reality after this series ends probably before.
Haruhi Forever
Same here XD
Awesome Episode will be rewatching it again. XD
May 22, 2009 12:08 AM

Jan 2009
This was just freaking awesome, i never expected to see Haruhi again at least in... 5-8 months again since Kyo is a darn troll.

Kyon/Asahina scene on the park was just hilarious, the mood when he talks so fast is... bleh, can't find a word for it. So; does this means that Haruhi -probably- thinks that the Aliens, ESPers and time travelers exists because of Kyon? Or... Maybe Asahina and Nagato asked Kyon to travel to the past in order for them to exist?

The animation was kinda choppy, something was missing. The ending is growing on me and I'm going to go insane; 4 weeks until the next new episode?
I went on messenger and i got spam about it, some of them got o'rgasms with this episode.

EDIT: Da-da-da... Dattebayo? Dattebayo subbing it? WHAT THE HELL?

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
May 22, 2009 12:15 AM

Aug 2008
moe!
can't wait for more, and aya's ED song was good...well im guessing it was aya
anywho, great episode!!
yay haruhi!!
May 22, 2009 12:15 AM

Sep 2008
Finally!!..........

Mikuru, moeh!
May 22, 2009 1:01 AM

Sep 2008
Cool episode. Was very let down with the torrent I downloaded though. I missed half of the words being said because the frame kept freezing/jumping. Luckily I've read the novels so I knew roughly what was going on. Definitely downloading a higher quality one for a re-watch. xD

"Give Me Money" lol
May 22, 2009 1:04 AM

Jul 2008
Wow I feel like I returned to school from a long break...
Haha Yuki was awesome
Kyon was Kyon
I missed Itsuki
Mikuru was kawaii
I liked middle school Haruhi alot haha
good ep
May 22, 2009 1:10 AM

Nov 2008
Finally... It's Back!!!
*excitment*
Great Episode and I can't wait for the rest!!! Weeee~

May 22, 2009 1:18 AM

Oct 2007
I approve!
May 22, 2009 1:26 AM

Sep 2008
As usual, Yuki saves the day again.
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
May 22, 2009 1:30 AM

Nov 2008
Perfect!!!! YUKII <3 Suzumiya <3 Hare hare yukai <3... Wait... There's no Hare Hare yukai ;___; WTF? I WANT HARE HARE YUKAIIII <_<
Butway, the new ending rox <3

And.... Where's the opening?
VIVA O BIBSCESAR
May 22, 2009 1:46 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Not a bad episode, just wondering what's happened to the Kyon in the time Nagato just unfroze the Kyon that went into the past in. The ED is nice, but I expected something slightly better. Enjoyable episode nonetheless.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 22, 2009 1:54 AM

Sep 2008
well it's been '3 years' and haruhi has returned. Well i liked this episode, i haven't read the novels but i had already been kinda spoiled about some of the stuff that was gonna happen. The first 5 mins were meh though, luckily the rest of the episode was entertaining.

The character designs seemed slightly different to me and in a weird way. Maybe it's just me. Good to see kyon again though (and with his monologues). Bad to see Yuki though, hate her so much.

Well at least i should be able to call a kyoani series good again, because since the first haruhi all they have released is crap.
May 22, 2009 1:58 AM

Aug 2008
Wow, I really don't like Drunk_Samurai....

karmarei said:
dang it you guys are fast! i really dont want a sequel but its ok though

And lolwhut? The sequel was inevitable. Seriously, a ten book series, and there had only been 14 episodes so far.

This episode was great, it's so good to be watching Haruhi again. Kyon narrating is always amazing.

May 22, 2009 1:59 AM

Feb 2009
OMG it was great, i love the show soo much!

cant wait for more! :-D

EDIT: anyone else notice that the SOS Brigades computer uses Windows XP, lol!
Anime makes me smile!

:-)
May 22, 2009 2:16 AM

Nov 2007
About time, an okay episode, easing me back into the atmosphere of the season.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

536 by Zucned »»
May 7, 2:46 AM

» Sign here if you watch all eight episodes of Endless Eight. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shuffleair - Aug 13, 2009

1535 by Zucned »»
May 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

292 by Generose »»
Apr 12, 11:11 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 30, 2009

276 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:45 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jul 23, 2009

360 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.