Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 5, 2009 9:54 AM
May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought it was an excellent episode and rearranged some of the scenes pretty well (specifically the ending). I liked how they added more of an aura to this scene
though I think they could have used an extra 5 seconds with it.

But I really enjoyed how they also did Aoki's eyebrows, that was so hilarious.

And I also liked how the anime captures this scene.

I never expected it to be in the night time.

But I also enjoyed how Takamura gave his "boxing is the only thing I never lie about" speech.

judging by the previews for next episode, they're going to have both the weigh-ins and the press conference. this will define akio ohtsuka's performance as brian hawk.
ParaParaJMoMay 5, 2009 10:01 AM
May 5, 2009 4:52 PM
Apr 2008
i thought they did a considerably better job on handling this episode than they have been doing, i also liked the re-arrangement of a few scenes, particularly having kimura's analysis narrate over takamura's situation rather than 2 seperate things, however i still feel that they rush some of the more dramatic scenes and it loses the impact, i felt this happened during itagaki's reappearance where i felt they should have paused longer before having him grab the towel as having him just suddenly appear didn't feel right, i also thought the kamogawa speech could have used the same treatment, lastly they definitely need to use better montage music (BRB going to play hearts on fire over takamura's weight training)

besides these gripes, i thought this was a good episode 4/5
May 7, 2009 1:47 AM

Sep 2008
Kambare Takamura >O<
May 8, 2009 3:53 PM

Jan 2009
Dramatic situation ;/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 9, 2009 11:54 AM

Oct 2008
still havent see the episode cant find a stream or download with subs
May 9, 2009 9:00 PM
Nov 2008
Frostii just released their subs.
May 10, 2009 12:27 AM

Oct 2008
Excellent episode, they adapted it almost perfectly, poor Aoki by the way, it was even funnier than in the manga.
May 10, 2009 1:42 AM

Jul 2008
When it wants to be this anime can be extremely serious and hilarious. Hawk is making me crave some food now.
May 10, 2009 5:19 AM

Jun 2008
They are taking to much time with the "wight limit".
May 10, 2009 8:31 AM

May 2007
kie_ said:

Well considering Takamura has to go from a heavyweight to a juinor is a pretty steep drop. I thought an episode dedicated to that made sense, because of what exactly Takamura has to go through in order for his match.
May 10, 2009 9:05 AM

Jul 2008
awesome ep dann takamura went through so much cant wait for the next ep press conference yep this will define how serious this match is watch!!!!!!!!!
May 10, 2009 1:52 PM

Aug 2008
Well, I have a big question, and maybe it's answered in the manga.
20kg=45lbs.

Seeing as how Takamura just got off of a Boxing match, did he really gain all of that weight back before he went into the next weight loss? That's ridiculous beyond imagination since it's not like (going off of the animation) Takamura has 45 pounds of fat on him. Which means he's loosing muscle and water, which, I don't care who you are, he wouldn't be able to win fights like that.

You know, I never would have batted an eye at any of this until they tossed in these numbers. That seems damn near impossible, but more over, it would kill.

Then Itagaki showed his dumb face for no reason, and Hawk is back with his schtick.

Funny episode, not bad.
May 10, 2009 10:26 PM

May 2007
noteDhero said:
20kg=45lbs.

Seeing as how Takamura just got off of a Boxing match, did he really gain all of that weight back before he went into the next weight loss? That's ridiculous beyond imagination since it's not like (going off of the animation) Takamura has 45 pounds of fat on him. Which means he's loosing muscle and water, which, I don't care who you are, he wouldn't be able to win fights like that.

You know, I never would have batted an eye at any of this until they tossed in these numbers. That seems damn near impossible, but more over, it would kill.

Then Itagaki showed his dumb face for no reason, and Hawk is back with his schtick.

Funny episode, not bad.
Well that is extreme weight loss to the extreme. Any other man would die... but come on! This is TAKAMURA!!!
May 11, 2009 6:39 AM

Jan 2008
kie_ said:

Considering this episode is the equivalent of two chapters of the manga, I'd say they're doing perfect pacing. They could be like other anime and have nothing but filler in it, and only go one chapter an episode.

This episode really showed just how powerful Takamura is, and how much he's going to get revenge on Hawk for making him have to go through all this.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
May 11, 2009 7:01 AM
May 2007
Former UFC Champion Forrest Griffin cuts as much weight as Takamura. Ricky Hatton bloats up between fights and so did Toney when he fought at 160. And what's scarier this time is that Takamura has to cut 6 more pounds than usual since he's fighting for a 154 title and he always fights at 160
May 11, 2009 12:14 PM
Dec 2007
Fantastic episode and a great tension builder as well. The second season is finally taking the glory of the first season back and I'm pretty sure the championship match will be EPIC.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 11, 2009 12:27 PM
Apr 2008
Jacut said:
Fantastic episode and a great tension builder as well. The second season is finally taking the glory of the first season back and I'm pretty sure the championship match will be EPIC.

in order for it to be epic they would need to use inner light or eternal loop towards the end, but that will never happen.
May 11, 2009 3:52 PM

Feb 2009
noteDhero said:
20kg=45lbs.

Funny episode, not bad.

About the weight, he didn't gain the weight back but its maintaining that weight that's so difficult and him losing 45 lbs is absolutely ridiculous but its an anime.

Good Episode Can't Wait for what's comin up.

May 11, 2009 9:05 PM

Aug 2008
Then why was he trying to lose "his last 5 kilos?" I think they were inferring that in this small 3 month period that he has gained and lost 45lbs.
May 12, 2009 4:19 AM

Nov 2007
I LOL'd so hard at Aoki's eyebrows and I didn't know that weight management was this cruel. Good episode all up.

May 15, 2009 5:50 PM
Mar 2009
The eyebrows scene had me LoL'in pretty hardcore as well
Aug 27, 2009 6:02 AM

Feb 2008
I guess this season is for the side characters. at this point it looks like all the foreshadowing about Ippo's future fights isn't going to come to anything till a later season :(
Oct 30, 2009 8:18 PM

Nov 2007
Man things are getting pretty crazy O_O but that is some crazy weight management going on there =O
May 26, 2010 3:58 PM

Oct 2009
i don't really get it, how is he supposed to fight in this state? i mean, this whole weight control thing is robbing him of all his energy and strength. and if he eats before the fight to regain his strength, he would just gain all the weight in no time and fail at the weight exam, or am i just misunderstanding this whole weight thing?

oh and yeah, i lol'd extremely hard at aoki ^^
Jul 18, 2010 4:15 PM

Apr 2009
noteDhero said:
Then why was he trying to lose "his last 5 kilos?" I think they were inferring that in this small 3 month period that he has gained and lost 45lbs.

Judging by how accurate to life some of the fights are (this and first series), I think it's safe to say that Ippo has never been extremely realistic in any terms. I'd imagine that this weight loss would have been no different in terms of realism. Personally, I would have thought by that point your body would have collapsed because of either de-hydration or thinning of the blood from lack of water, but as someone said earlier, this is anime after all.
Jan 5, 2011 7:37 PM

Aug 2008
Jacut said:

Bingo. I thought the weight management episode from the first season was intense, but with the title on the line raising the tension of everything else, this is much better. I just want him to win this title so hopefully he'll be able to move up in weight class and stop killing himself before his matches.

Jul 19, 2011 9:54 AM

May 2010
Excellent episode! haha Poor Aoki in this one.. haha I really feel sorry for him somethings.. he's the joker in the group and always being picked on XD I love it how in each episode there's always some form of comedy even though the main importance is Takamura's weight management.. For sure he'll be able to work something out.. didn't really understand the dried Shitake mushrooms.. supposedly to drain saliva fluids? hehe
Aug 2, 2013 1:03 PM
Aug 2013
HAHAHA.. I loved the part where they all laugh at Aoki's eyebrows! I couldn't help but laugh along with them!
Sep 1, 2013 6:49 PM

Jul 2013
Damn, weight management looks really stuff, I would suffer if I was in Takamura's situation, I hope this all turns out well for him in the end.
Oct 19, 2013 7:37 AM

Aug 2009
reinwald said:
Excellent episode! haha Poor Aoki in this one.. haha I really feel sorry for him somethings.. he's the joker in the group and always being picked on XD I love it how in each episode there's always some form of comedy even though the main importance is Takamura's weight management.. For sure he'll be able to work something out.. didn't really understand the dried Shitake mushrooms.. supposedly to drain saliva fluids? hehe

it's suppose to help drain his liquids while simultaneously making it feel like he ate something
Oct 19, 2013 3:46 PM

Jul 2009
hahahahaha this episode made my day !!
this is my first time seeing something like this !
Oct 28, 2013 10:42 AM

Mar 2012
That's some intense dieting D:
Jan 24, 2014 9:08 AM

Jun 2009
Takamura looks like he is about to drop dead.
Aug 13, 2014 12:36 PM

May 2012
Oh wow he really looks like he's suffering! This really doesn't look good and I do hope he'll be alright for the big match. That said that hilarious moment with aoki's eyebrows was just too great!
Aug 21, 2014 4:23 PM

Jul 2014
noteDhero said:
20kg=45lbs.

Funny episode, not bad.

It's incredible how someone can watch a series for nearly 100 episodes and still not know something so basic about one of the main characters. Takamura's natural weight is between 198-200 lbs, which would allow him to fight in the cruiserweight or heavyweight class, but he's never been at that class. For the entire series, he's fought at middleweight, which has a 160 lb limit; the fight with Morris West, like all of his fights have been, was at middleweight. He's been lighter than his natural weight for the entire series, he does weight management to stay at or below 160 lbs, gains a slight amount of weight when his matches are over, then does it again before his next match. Takamura was at middleweight for his fight with West, then of course he had to gain a slight amount of weight because he would have been hospitalized or died if he continued not eating or drinking, but he didn't gain over 40 lbs. That's why they were so upset about the match with Hawk being scheduled in December. Fighting at junior middleweight means he has to lose even more weight than he normally does with no time to relax and eat/drink normally between matches.
Mar 15, 2015 12:57 PM

Jul 2012
Damn, Aoki lost his eyebrows LOL. You can never trust Takamura haha.
Takamura had a pretty nice moment with Kamogawa there.
This extreme weight loss is pretty intense. Two more kilos! This match is gonna be epic.
Nov 1, 2015 2:40 AM
Nov 2014
Damn, this episode was hard to watch.
Feb 24, 2016 2:25 AM

Jan 2016
That was a depressing episode. i hate seeing Takamura like that.
Mar 3, 2016 10:15 PM
Jun 2013
Greatest episode of this series I have seen so far!

In the first season, I felt like weight management was an important topic that should have come up and in more depth, and here it is. WOW.
Mar 28, 2016 8:29 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, this was probably more intense than any fight. That montage was just painful to watch.

Looks like next ep is more weight management and training. I'm hoping we get more backstory and character development from Hawk before the fight. Right now he's just a generic pimp dickhead
Jul 2, 2016 7:09 PM

Jan 2013
Scary episode. Can't believe Takamuraa hasn't gone to the hospital.
May 15, 2017 12:13 PM

May 2016
That was intense damn I can't imagine how he feels.
Dec 18, 2017 10:27 PM

Feb 2016
felix-kun said:
i don't really get it, how is he supposed to fight in this state? i mean, this whole weight control thing is robbing him of all his energy and strength. and if he eats before the fight to regain his strength, he would just gain all the weight in no time and fail at the weight exam, or am i just misunderstanding this whole weight thing?

The weight-in takes place around 30 hours before the fight, he needs to be below 154 pounds at that moment, after that, he can eat, drink and all that, so he will come at the fight maybe around 170-175 pounds since he lost so much weight. Sometimes there are second weight-in arranged in the contract for someone to don't go up too much in weight after the first weight-in. In this case Takamura needs to go to the next division after this fight, because it's too low for him.
TerajimaDec 18, 2017 10:31 PM
Dec 22, 2017 6:02 PM

Jun 2015
What a pair of consecutive eps !! I was crying out of laughing at aoki's eyebrows work lmaooo Haven't seen a genuinely funny series since Slam Dunk and prison school.
In another note, Takamura's weight down training is totally hell. Wondering if he will be able to be in great form for his title world fight against Hawk. This is gonna be good. First season didn't put attention in that matter with Takamura's battles, but I guess he had to do the same also, although maybe not to that extreme.
Feb 11, 2018 4:28 PM

Jul 2016
THAT LAST PART THO!!

FUCKING CHILLS!!

Cannot wait for Takamura to kick Hawk's ass
Nov 26, 2018 5:16 AM

Oct 2012
Did he really can live without water?
I thought human can't endure living without water

After seeing Takamura suffered like that
I really wish he can win the belt, also kick Bryan's asses until he can't boxing anymore
That'll be a big plus
"Signature removed"
Jun 17, 2019 10:09 AM

Jul 2015
Oh shit, Takamura is gonna turn into some demon that is more fearsome than Mashiba.

Mar 7, 2020 4:50 PM

Jan 2015
Poor Takamura. I'm looking forward for the match so much.
Mar 15, 2020 1:09 PM

May 2015
Rip aokis eyebrows
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 7, 2021 2:30 PM

Nov 2016
Aoki can't catch a break xD

Great build up episode. Takamura's determination is inspiring. I know how harsh a diet can be, tho, this is on another level.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

superjesus - Mar 9, 2009

65 by GingZ »»
May 27, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 30, 2009

127 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 12, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 16, 2009

140 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 11, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 17, 2009

66 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 22, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Apr 21, 2009

75 by Meritas »»
Mar 16, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.