Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 29, 2009 2:36 AM

Jun 2008
fucking wait for it awesome.
Apr 29, 2009 4:26 AM

Jun 2007
I'm getting more and more disappointed with this.
It's not the pace, it's not the artwork, it's not how different this is from the first series that's bothering. What I really don't like is that FMA2 pretty much leaves you indifferent. Should this episode have been dramatic, emphasizing the idea of not playing with human life, reflecting Nina's story into Ed's story? Yes. Was it? No. I honestly didn't feel anything towards the end. They just presented Tucker's and Nina's story amongst the lines of "So there was this creepy scientist dude who transmuted his daughter, weird huh?", which, on top of being a major disappointment, was also unrighteous and pretty much irrelevant.
Apr 29, 2009 4:57 AM
Jul 2008
You know, I only just realised how sick of a story FMA is. It is really sickening. But this ep made me love FMA 2 more. I was about to tear up when Ed found out about Nina. Last series it had no effect on me.

I want more Nina and Alexander moments! They are just sooo cute!!!! x3
Apr 29, 2009 5:25 AM
Sep 2008
noteDhero and Capellabun both have very valid points.

IF Tucker is nothing more than a plot device to introduce Scar, as mentioned he was in the manga (i cant confirm, I didnt read it), then Cape's opinion is....more correct. The reasoning, is that you, as a writer, do not want people's thoughts lingering on a mere transitional plot device (aka Tucker), so you use the type of persona that will give people an inability to connect and recognize with him: insanity.

On the other hand, the pitiful and remorseful Tucker is far more emotion-invoking than someone who is insane. (This is a rule of story-telling, it is not up for debate).

Where the differences in opinions are, is whether you want Tucker to be an impact on the story. As a one-time character, the only way his influence stretches beyond his own episode, is if something in the future invokes the memory of him in the main characters mind.

The real question is, do you want that?
Apr 29, 2009 8:00 AM

Dec 2007
confused_kitsune said:
What I really don't like is that FMA2 pretty much leaves you indifferent. They just presented Tucker's and Nina's story amongst the lines of "So there was this creepy scientist dude who transmuted his daughter, weird huh?", which, on top of being a major disappointment, was also unrighteous and pretty much irrelevant.

That is exactly how I felt, strange that others are pointing this out as well. It doesn't feel like FMA2 is connecting the individual stories and making them relevant to the whole. Even though FMA1 has the same "episodic" style in a sense, it makes them relevant to the whole. The succession of each story feels nonsensical.
DunkyApr 29, 2009 10:13 AM
Apr 29, 2009 8:10 AM
Oct 2008
Honestly, I think everyone is just going to have different reactions to this episode. Some are going to feel that it did what it needed to do and was presented well or some are going to feel that it didn't and end up feeling indifferent and disappointed in the end.
Apr 29, 2009 9:15 AM

Aug 2008
I do agree with you, Capellabun, that this episode could have been used as an awakening to the adult world for Ed. A world in which he may have to dirty his hands even more in gray areas to remain a state alchemist. But with that said, what we still would have needed was still more pathos from Tucker instead of a childish disconnect from Ed where he just super hulks out on Tucker. I feel like there should have been more frustration on Ed's part rather than outright anger if it were going to be about that.
Apr 29, 2009 9:53 AM
Oct 2008
noteDhero said:
I do agree with you, Capellabun, that this episode could have been used as an awakening to the adult world for Ed. A world in which he may have to dirty his hands even more in gray areas to remain a state alchemist. But with that said, what we still would have needed was still more pathos from Tucker instead of a childish disconnect from Ed where he just super hulks out on Tucker. I feel like there should have been more frustration on Ed's part rather than outright anger if it were going to be about that.

Well, I can agree on that, I guess I still can't really see why more would have been needed from Tucker. This is probably due to the fact that Tucker doesn't really linger on as much past this episode as he did in the first series. I haven't read some of the chapters in awhile but I think anytime this arc is brought up later on its usually about Edwards frustration with not being able to save Nina and less about Tucker.

I will admit that some of the things you've mentioned where more effectively done in the first anime and where more memorable (such as Nina's death in the ally) but because this is an adaptation of the manga I kind of felt the main focus was more on Nina's death and what Ed would may to do to attain his goal then Tucker, his reactions, and how he was portrayed.

I'm trying to see it from your point of view but I guess because I'm a bit biased (as I prefer the manga to the first series) it's hard for me to see how much more time with Tucker would have changed this episode as my reactions to this and the first series where pretty much the same.
Apr 29, 2009 10:02 AM

Aug 2008
I guess I didn't give what kind of more I wanted to see from Tucker. I wanted to see Ed bond with Tucker in a way so that it is that much more frustrating for Ed when he knows what he did to his daughter. I wanted Ed to feel betrayed by someone he respected and cared for, and not just be able to totally deatach himself and punch the living daylights out of Tucker. I wanted to see him struggle to with hurting him, if only to echo to the daddy isssues Ed has.
Apr 29, 2009 11:18 AM

Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
I guess I didn't give what kind of more I wanted to see from Tucker. I wanted to see Ed bond with Tucker in a way so that it is that much more frustrating for Ed when he knows what he did to his daughter. I wanted Ed to feel betrayed by someone he respected and cared for, and not just be able to totally deatach himself and punch the living daylights out of Tucker. I wanted to see him struggle to with hurting him, if only to echo to the daddy isssues Ed has.

Wow! to be quite honest, that sounds awesome. It'll be really quite contreversail if they pulled off the episode like that.

But, since the producers want to rush the series where the manga left off, they want to cover these episodes real quick. Even though I can't quite blame them for doing that.
Apr 29, 2009 11:21 AM

Jul 2007
noteDhero said:
I wanted Ed to feel betrayed by someone he respected and cared for, and not just be able to totally deatach himself and punch the living daylights out of Tucker. I wanted to see him struggle to with hurting him, if only to echo to the daddy isssues Ed has.

But, you see, from the very beginning he could NOT bond with him.

He formed an insta-bond with Nina and even the dog,but not with him.

Tucker, at least for me, shows just how much Ed hated his father.

Tucker, after chimera-nina stuff embodied everything Ed hates about Hohenheim. The extreme version of that person who, supposedly never cared for him.

In a sense, its what Ed would do to his own father, if his hatred, disrespect for him would not go away, if they would not get to reconcile peacefully.

The way I see it - Hughes and Tucker are two extremities covering the different ends of his memories about his father.
Apr 29, 2009 11:32 AM

Aug 2008
@Fai

Fai, in one of your previous posts you stated that you didn't like how they dealt with Basque Gran in FMA1. You know what, Even though I loved the original FMA series, this was one of its major flaws the series did. I mean they made him as the "big stupid evil guy" in the contrast, the manga managed to make him interseting especially during the Ishbal war.

In another note, I doubt this would a 50-ep. series, If they kept with the 1-chapter covering 1-episode it'll be like 60-70 eps. It's not like im complaining.
Apr 29, 2009 12:31 PM

Apr 2009
@Fai
That's a great analysis. I've never really thought about it too in-depth, but you're absolutely right about Hughes and Tucker.

Now I'm all pumped for Hohenheim to show up. Too bad it's going to be a while...
Apr 29, 2009 12:43 PM

Aug 2008
Fai said:

But, you see, from the very beginning he could NOT bond with him.

He formed an insta-bond with Nina and even the dog,but not with him.

Tucker, at least for me, shows just how much Ed hated his father.

Tucker, after chimera-nina stuff embodied everything Ed hates about Hohenheim. The extreme version of that person who, supposedly never cared for him.

In a sense, its what Ed would do to his own father, if his hatred, disrespect for him would not go away, if they would not get to reconcile peacefully.

The way I see it - Hughes and Tucker are two extremities covering the different ends of his memories about his father.

You make a good point, but again, then I have to wonder what the purpose of this episode was in the way that it was presented, and I can only guess that it was about Scar.
Apr 29, 2009 6:03 PM

Jul 2008
I guess this song doesn't apply as much anymore:

I found this episode much better than in FMA1 though. Nina was less annoying... Though I did cry when she died in FMA1. Probably because it was my first anime with dramatic character death like that. :x
Apr 29, 2009 6:30 PM

Aug 2008
Cool episode, Scar did the right thing putting Nina and Dog out of their misery even if it was kinda brutal. Ed was basically doing the same thing I wanted to do to Shou

Apr 29, 2009 6:36 PM

Jan 2008
Ahh, that was cruel. This ep can be emotional and the VAs are just awesome.
Apr 29, 2009 9:27 PM

Nov 2008
lol at the dog taking out Ed again and again.

That's about all the lol's you can get out of this episode... :(
Apr 30, 2009 12:38 AM

Jan 2008
Thought they were going to skip this arc. First season pulled this off better, just like all the arcs in the past few episodes.
Apr 30, 2009 1:06 AM

Jul 2007
aero said:
Thought they were going to skip this arc. First season pulled this off better, just like all the arcs in the past few episodes.

Well they could not skip this arc, nor the previous ones since FMA1 screwed them up by:

Apr 30, 2009 9:47 AM

Aug 2008
eternal_blue said:
lol at the dog taking out Ed again and again.

That's about all the lol's you can get out of this episode... :(

That was pretty funny.

But this episode was so sad. T__T

I'm loving Miki Shinchiro's job of Mustang though.
Apr 30, 2009 11:09 AM
Sep 2008
Fai said:

Well they could not skip this arc, nor the previous ones since FMA1 screwed them up by:
- Turning Rose and, well, everyone in Lior into brown guys.

Right......because people who LIVE and WORK OUTSIDE cannot POSSIBLY have dark/tanned skin. (not to mention the fact that its a GODDAMN DESERT)

You should be applauding FMA1 instead of patronizing it for trying to be more realistic.
Apr 30, 2009 12:30 PM

Feb 2009
I from my point of view thought the episode was paced on just the right amount needed for it to be quality and yet stil quantity. However the show is so emotional I am beginning to fall in love with this. People stop complaining they do this pacing because they want to get this bit over and done wih so they can move to new stuff which the previous anime apparently did not cover! P.S I did drop the predecessor because I thought it was inconsistent.
Apr 30, 2009 12:43 PM

Jul 2007
Kabyk said:
Right......because people who LIVE and WORK OUTSIDE cannot POSSIBLY have dark/tanned skin. (not to mention the fact that its a GODDAMN DESERT)

Lior is not in the desert, smartass.

Lior is in the middle of mountains just as seen in FMA2 ep3 and manga.
Apr 30, 2009 3:46 PM

Dec 2007
I can't believe how unreasonably ridiculous some people are being: "FMA1 screwed them (arcs) up: Turning Rose and, well, everyone in Lior into brown guys".

Lior was in the desert in FMA1, so it is only obvious that their residents would be brown.
They did what?!? They turned a town in the mountains into a town in the desert!?! Screw their creativity!
Apr 30, 2009 4:29 PM
Oct 2008
Deadpool135 said:
I can't believe how unreasonably ridiculous some people are being: "FMA1 screwed them (arcs) up: Turning Rose and, well, everyone in Lior into brown guys".

Lior was in the desert in FMA1, so it is only obvious that their residents would be brown.
They did what?!? They turned a town in the mountains into a town in the desert!?! Screw their creativity!

I don't think by screwed up he meant it was bad...I think it was just to explain why certain episodes are being repeated as the changes to these beginning arcs did change the direction of the series, not to insult the writers for making changes in the first series.

Though, that's basically how I interpreted it.
Apr 30, 2009 4:31 PM

Dec 2007
The pacing is still too fast for my liking but the way that Shou's deeds were revealed was done much better this time around. Having him not notice until Nina said "Big brother" made it much more depressing and a bit more of a sudden shock if this was your first exposure to Fullmetal Alchemist.

#NBHNC
Apr 30, 2009 5:54 PM
Jun 2008
Wow, though everyone says Fullmetall Alchemist: Brotherhood isn't as darker as the Fullmetal Aclhemist, I thought this episode was in someway...

Also, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a little too rushed for me...

Well, next episode seems to be interesting
rodrigohmuApr 30, 2009 5:58 PM
Apr 30, 2009 6:06 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
okay seriously, HOW IS THE PLOT ANY DIFFERENT SO FAR FROM FMA1?? WHY ARE THEY REDOING THIS SERIES IF IT'S JUST GOING TO BE THE SAME STORY ALL OVER AGAIN??
p r o f i l e 👀
Apr 30, 2009 6:33 PM

Aug 2008
Tucker didn't die, we didn't see The Truth, and we didn't get that ice alchemist. I am kind of on your side, but they really are in a hard place.
noteDheroApr 30, 2009 6:40 PM
Apr 30, 2009 6:37 PM
Oct 2008
Naruleach said:
okay seriously, HOW IS THE PLOT ANY DIFFERENT SO FAR FROM FMA1?? WHY ARE THEY REDOING THIS SERIES IF IT'S JUST GOING TO BE THE SAME STORY ALL OVER AGAIN??

I'm sure everyone is tired of explaining this but I'm going to do it anyways. This isn't redoing the same story.

Sorry if this post contains spoilers but there are significant differences between this series and the first. We're only 4 episodes in so you won't see the differences in the plot until later on in the series. The beginning episodes and chapters of the FMA manga are pretty much the same up to a certain point but there are a lot of differences if you compare this to the previous series.

If you watch this episode you should of noticed other differences too but since you haven't I will list a few starting from the first episode and hopefully I won't spoil too much.
- Lior is located in the mountains instead of the desert, Rose's character is no longer significant later on in this series (so far) as she previously was.
-The time line is obviously different, most of these events like Nina's episode take place after Edward has taken the state alchemy test.
-Unlike in the first series, General Gran and Tucker die in this episode. They will not be seen again throughout this series(except for Gran IF they cover a certain chapter) unlike the first series.
-Not sure if this would be a spoiler but characters such as Archer, Lyra, and Dante do not exist in this series so with these characters gone its pretty much a given that the plot is going to be different.

I would list more but that would require me to spoil the rest of these episodes so my only advise to you would be for you to just watch the rest and you'll see that this isn't just redoing the same story.
AvoideaApr 30, 2009 6:51 PM
Apr 30, 2009 8:30 PM

Apr 2009
Capellabun said:
Naruleach said:

I'm sure everyone is tired of explaining this but I'm going to do it anyways. This isn't redoing the same story.

Sorry if this post contains spoilers but there are significant differences between this series and the first. We're only 4 episodes in so you won't see the differences in the plot until later on in the series. The beginning episodes and chapters of the FMA manga are pretty much the same up to a certain point but there are a lot of differences if you compare this to the previous series.

If you watch this episode you should of noticed other differences too but since you haven't I will list a few starting from the first episode and hopefully I won't spoil too much.
- Lior is located in the mountains instead of the desert, Rose's character is no longer significant later on in this series (so far) as she previously was.
-The time line is obviously different, most of these events like Nina's episode take place after Edward has taken the state alchemy test.
-Unlike in the first series, General Gran and Tucker die in this episode. They will not be seen again throughout this series(except for Gran IF they cover a certain chapter) unlike the first series.
-Not sure if this would be a spoiler but characters such as Archer, Lyra, and Dante do not exist in this series so with these characters gone its pretty much a given that the plot is going to be different.

I would list more but that would require me to spoil the rest of these episodes so my only advise to you would be for you to just watch the rest and you'll see that this isn't just redoing the same story.

Seriously, This has to be a sticky or something, I think I explained nearly the same thing a few pages back and in the episode 1 post. People either need to learn to read an entire post(s) or just stop asking dumb questions. Its not a second season. Its a re-telling of the story based off of the manga's direction.

Need a hint where FMA1 breaks away from the original manga story? When Greed has Al kidnapped... the story is basically completely different and we are introduced to Dante as well as a few other other anime only characters. I would say give it up until maybe 20 or so episodes before things are "different" I think Bones might run this time around for 100+ episodes. Hopefully.
Apr 30, 2009 10:54 PM

Apr 2008
"Wittle big bwatha."
Yeah.

My mind wouldn't let me rest until I posted that.
Anyway, good episode.
There were obvious differences from the first series.
I haven't read the manga, but I'm sure that this srayed true to it.

I really hope they make this 100+ episodes.
I want to see the story without having to go finish it in the manga.
Apr 30, 2009 11:58 PM

Apr 2008
My heart aches....

I read that, in the first series during the scene where Ed realizes that Nina/Alex are the chimera, Romi Paku cried during the lines. I can feel it. Aren't actors awesome?
May 1, 2009 2:12 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
ah thanks for explaining to me the differences so far from the 1st FMA and this one. It's been such a long time since i've seen the original FMA so sorry I don't recognize the "obvious" differences between the two.

and yes, i think it's clear I don't read the manga. (though one day i plan to!)
p r o f i l e 👀
May 1, 2009 4:26 AM

Jul 2007
Cebola92 said:

Also, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a little too rushed for me...

Next thread will, most likely , have keyword count for "rushed" and "pacing", just to count all the clowns.

Seriously.... IT WAS ONE CHAPTER...--.--
May 1, 2009 5:24 AM
Sep 2008
Fai said:
Kabyk said:

Lior is not in the desert, smartass.

Lior is in the middle of mountains just as seen in FMA2 ep3 and manga.

That's why I put the desert part in parenthesis. The first part is still correct, whether Lior is a desert, mountain, or island.
My issue is that they went out of their way to make them actually white and not the yellow-ish "anime white" like Ed and such.
May 1, 2009 5:44 AM

Nov 2007
Did not have that much of an effect to me (since I already knew what will happen). But still very greatly executed. I can say that if this was the first time I'll see this episode, I would have loved it tenfold. Looking forward to the next.
May 1, 2009 8:02 AM

Apr 2008
When Ed was punching Tuker I felt like It had no effect and then Al was all like stop it you'll kill him. That was kinda lol. Not very nicly done imo...

When Scar got nina & tucker i almost cried(for nina not tucker).
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
May 1, 2009 3:34 PM

Jun 2008
That was really sad even though I already knew what was going to happen!!! *cry* I hope the series stop repeating the old storyline of the anime soon, though.
Note: I decided not to accept random friend requests. Most of the ones I accept will be people I know from other sites unless I get to know some people here. (=^_^=)
May 1, 2009 5:00 PM

Feb 2009
The saddest episode of FMA:B so far
May 1, 2009 5:09 PM

May 2007
This episode was done much better in the first series. More emotion, imo.
May 2, 2009 1:06 PM

Apr 2009
I haven't read the manga, nor watched the first version of anime so I won't compare things xP
But this episode was heartbreaking ;___; I started crying the moment the chimera spoke just because it was so sad to see a magically created animal that understood it was an effect of experimenting... And it just got worse when Ed revealed that it's Nina and her dog (is it normal that I'm feeling bad mostly for the dog? D:)... Whoa, my eyes are getting wet again when I'm typing this x___X
I seriously wanted to kill Tucker.
Sorry for my bad English xP
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
May 2, 2009 5:36 PM

Apr 2009
I was pretty satisfied with this episode; best one they've released yet (though the first episode was great too). Followed exactly like the manga (hell, even Ed's expression was the same when he looked at Tucker after his realization), and we got to see Tucker dead. After reading the manga (I'd watched the anime first), it bugged me to no end that this detestable guy had lived in the anime, but had actually died in the manga. Seriously, did we really need that guy to live in the anime? He was just so..gah..so repulsive and annoying. Points to Scar for getting him out of the picture.

Erm, anyways, enough about annoying Tucker. I was really happy that they didn't use those stupid split screen effects like in the previous episode, and uh...Well, I don't know what else to say, really. It was good episode, that's all. Poor Nina and Alexander, too.
May 2, 2009 6:42 PM

Mar 2008
It gets me every time.

poor Nina.

May 3, 2009 12:21 AM

Sep 2008
Its a little sad.........
May 3, 2009 6:34 PM
Mar 2009
basque and his arrogant veteran self deserved to die even though he has ultra war techniques

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
May 4, 2009 4:56 AM
Jul 2008
This is the first episode in the series that didn't feel rushed to me, and the first episode that I felt really got it right. The slapstick humor was kept to a minimum, and even when it happened, there wasn't as much SD animation as usual. This series has been very good so far at doing the deep, emotional scenes, and there were no problems with the episode to draw the attention away from its strength.

The only thing that bothers me is that as the series gets darker and darker, the happy fluffy ending theme seems more and more inappropriate. Well, it's not exactly a major part of the show, so it's fine, but they should really change it at some point.
May 4, 2009 12:10 PM

Feb 2009
One of the few scenes anime that truly make me feel depressed.

May 4, 2009 5:23 PM

Jul 2007
NINAAAA~ ; O; I cried. :C And I'll cry for Hughes too. x_x; Again. >:C Damn you FMA. At least Nina's death wasn't all asplody and horrible like last time. Good lord. Dx
Like / Love KOS-MOS? Then join MAL's KOS-MOS Fanclub!

Signature by hikarisenshi.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

974 by Fortvne »»
Yesterday, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

adamantine - Jan 31, 2010

137 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 18, 7:43 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Jan 24, 2010

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 18, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

344 by CaviarSandwiches »»
May 17, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Aug 9, 2009

359 by _Abdullah_ »»
May 14, 11:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.