Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2009 1:19 AM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So...

- Ep starts with Scar introduction (on how he killed Basque), filling the thing that manga never shown brilliantly
- A Small reference to Coal Town and Yoki.
- Manga faithful redirect to Shou Tucker.
- The basement Chimera are more creepy this time.
- LOLDOG...*cough* After reading newest Dresden Files book, the LOLDOG moment is a LOT more hilarious...
- Waz it short flashback i saw thar? :>
- Nina....Nina... >_<
- Realisation was awesome.
- Beatdown animated awesomely :>
- Stairs Scene! <3
- Scar Intro - Awesome

- Next ep -

Loved episode.
AhenshihaelApr 26, 2009 1:24 AM
Apr 26, 2009 1:31 AM

Jul 2008
- Nina dying is still freaking sad. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY T______T
- Shou is such a jerkface and his lab is super creepy. DDDDDD:
- Look like next week is Scar stuff. Meh. I'm not too interested in that.

BEGINNER
Apr 26, 2009 1:39 AM

Dec 2007
Teeeheee, the best episode so far...Still I watched it with terrible quality so I'll just wait for subs or at least good raw to say something more...But I felt like crying and it's good, it means that FMA:B is getting better and soon it will be made of awesomeness^^ Nah, I hate Tucker...Alexander is amazing, luv him~!

Could it be, next ep=useless comment :D
Apr 26, 2009 2:35 AM
Jul 2018
That was a strong arc in the manga and I really like the adaption of it.
Apr 26, 2009 7:56 AM
Mar 2008
Subs are up. They're pretty good.
Apr 26, 2009 9:32 AM
Mar 2008
really good adaptation ...was touched by the depiction of the chimera ..and it repeat"asobu" was awesome!!!!
Apr 26, 2009 10:11 AM

Jun 2008
*sniff*
Nina-chan...
TTT___TTT

I'm happy Ed punched him for me.
Apr 26, 2009 11:03 AM

Aug 2008
Ok...I just didn't like this episode. I have been holding a lot of my criticism of this show, and defending it against my own standard in anticipation of this particular story. I was just disappointed. Dramatically, it was too much for one episode to be pulled off well, then you add in the comedy (which thankfully didn't consist of Ed getting mad at someone calling him small) and I'm left with an empty, indifferent response to the very end.

The stuff with Scar in the beginning was fine, but at the end he was already redundant, reminding me why I never really cared for him as a character.

I can't put words into how saddened that I am that this just got trodden over.
Apr 26, 2009 11:29 AM
Apr 2008
I always hate this episode... cause nina died but i agree the pacing felt way off.
Apr 26, 2009 11:47 AM

Jul 2007
chaostrik3r said:
agree the pacing felt way off.

lol? How much should they have covered? Half of chapter? two pages?

Well, now I feel that noobs who loved the craptastic fillers of fma1 will complain about pacing forever.
Apr 26, 2009 12:02 PM
Mar 2008
did they skip the mining town chapter?
Apr 26, 2009 12:02 PM
Dec 2007
noteDhero said:
Dramatically, it was too much for one episode to be pulled off well, then you add in the comedy (which thankfully didn't consist of Ed getting mad at someone calling him small) and I'm left with an empty, indifferent response to the very end.

Yep, the pacing was very bad and even if the idea of putting and developping just one theme ("What is a State Alchemist?") in the episode was good, but it was by no mean well executed on the screen. Disapointing one, just like the third episode, but I guess it still has a lot of potential and can improve a lot.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 26, 2009 12:06 PM

Feb 2008
noteDhero said:
I can't put words into how saddened that I am that this just got trodden over.
I'm kind of with you but still, I want to see the new material ASAP.
I'm curious to see what people that haven't seen the original think of this episode, which was one of the best arcs from the original, imo.
Apr 26, 2009 12:11 PM

Aug 2008
I totally called what was going to happen in this episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2009 12:21 PM

Mar 2009
I really liked this episode. I was amazed that it still managed to have the same emotional impact even though you've only seen Shou and Nina through this episode.
Comedic scenes with the dog were handled nicely as well.
The only thing which bothered me a little was the fact that some characters don't seem to be developed enough (for example Basque Gran), but this might be caused by the first anime given them an unnecessary amount of character development.
The filler stuff in the first anime only became really apparant to me after half the series, so I'm willing to stick with this and see how they'll improve on that.
Apr 26, 2009 12:26 PM

Jul 2008
even if i knew that nina was going to die, it was still a sad episode. at least they changed the end a bit.

Apr 26, 2009 12:41 PM

Jul 2008
sigh more and more deaths , other than that great episode
gatta feel bad for the dog XD
Apr 26, 2009 12:45 PM

May 2007
NIIIIIIIIIINA! ;_______; It was as depressing the second time around, i think mainly b/c when she died she wasn't splattered all over a wall o.o But still....very depressing.

DRAGON EGGS!!!!
Help them hatch:
Apr 26, 2009 12:49 PM

Nov 2007
that was quite intense. the comedy thrown in was done just right. it wasn't over the top or ridiculous and they didn't make much use of the funny animation style in this episode which was a good decision.
Apr 26, 2009 12:59 PM

Dec 2007
nice pace. looks like they will make it in 10 or so episodes and then we'll finally will be able to see some manga action. and everyone who complains about rushing, people, Nina appears only at 5th chapter of manga, extending means fillers and so on.
second part of the episode was hilarious, especially that stair scene. and Yoki introduction was quite a smart move. they can tell his story as a flash back without slowing down the story.
can't wait for the next ep ^___^
Apr 26, 2009 1:13 PM

Dec 2007
This arc always gets me, it's so sad and disturbing ;_;

And the pacing is fine, stop complaining already >_<
Apr 26, 2009 1:19 PM

Jun 2008
Good episode. I'm liking the pacing.
Apr 26, 2009 1:34 PM

Sep 2008
Best episode so far... that dude is so creepy I can't put into words O_O

Apr 26, 2009 1:36 PM

Mar 2009
kie_ said:
Good episode. I'm liking the pacing.

I guess ppl don't realize they're only trying to catch us up on the first series, so they can get on to the new un-animated manga canon. If you want to see all this in full go watch the first series or read the manga. This anime is said to focus on the manga more and keep the story going after the first series, not to completely remake the first series, If you haven't seen the first series or read the manga, then don't watch this series until after you've done so, and then there will be no pacing issues...Urahara Out!!
Apr 26, 2009 1:39 PM

Apr 2009
Hey- I was wondering which sub version I'm watching... th font is square and fatter than arial, but very similar in all other respects, and they don't have special effects for the song lyrics or anything. Thanks!
MAL Book Club join if you like reading

Apr 26, 2009 1:40 PM

Feb 2008
That was so sad. T____T

Tucker got what he deserved, but Nina and Alexander... D: Sigh~

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, give it a thousand reasons to smile. =]
Apr 26, 2009 1:43 PM

Apr 2007
Great episode. I forgot Scar killed Tucker in the manga so that was a nice surprise. He really deserved it.
Can't wait for the next episode~
Apr 26, 2009 1:47 PM

Apr 2009
I liked it. I cant wait for the next episode. And i also cant help but fell depressed about poor Nina and Alexander. >:(
Apr 26, 2009 1:58 PM

Jul 2007
MrHatandClogs said:
If you want to see all this in full go watch the first series or read the manga.

This was in full, exactly how manga went, minus one sentence from Al.
Apr 26, 2009 2:15 PM

Dec 2008
I really love the touker died... =D
In the other anime he stayed alive which i hate!
Changing for the Sake of the future
Apr 26, 2009 2:17 PM

May 2008
This is by far the best episode so far.

I loved the fact that they made a brief note about Yoki and the mines and not making it into a full episode.

It's still so sad what happened to Nina. Shou got what was coming to him

Apr 26, 2009 2:54 PM

Apr 2008
Wow, this is actually looking up. :)
Ed's freak out was intenseee!

...when's Envy coming? :<
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2009 3:00 PM

Oct 2008
it was disgusting how he used his wife and daughter....

Apr 26, 2009 3:10 PM

Jul 2008
poor nina damn scar killed her too so looks like the scar arc starts next ep so cant wait
Apr 26, 2009 3:18 PM

May 2008
The music near the end is hauntingly powerful...
Apr 26, 2009 3:39 PM

Aug 2007
I cried. Poor Nina. I dreaded this episode, but at least the scumbag got beaten and killed, so there. Poor Nina. =( And calling Edward and Al like him is just wrong - they were children desperate to bring back their mother - not people obsessed with trying things 'because they could'.
Usotsuki. 
Apr 26, 2009 3:40 PM

Apr 2008
Hey, 2 state alchemists out in one episode. Good job Scar. I personally don't care about these episodes too much... still waiting for them to get to the manga parts...
Apr 26, 2009 3:46 PM

Sep 2008
Kiseki said:
even if i knew that nina was going to die, it was still a sad episode. at least they changed the end a bit.

I know :( It's so sad. It's hard to believe someone could just literally sacrifice their family to advance his own standing within society. It's just disgusting :(

Apr 26, 2009 3:47 PM

Oct 2008
kuroshiroi said:

I'm curious to see what people that haven't seen the original think of this episode, which was one of the best arcs from the original, imo.

I'm one of those people. I thought this episode's pacing was fine. It built up tension and future story by introducing the Scar character. It gave the audience enough background info and interaction to grow attached to Nina and Alexander. And then it excelled in making me depressed as to what Tucker did to them and their mother. Lastly, it did ok in showing Ed's inner turmoil and then book-ending it nicely with Scar getting another alchemist, along with the heart breaking (although messy) euthanasia of the chimera.

If this were two episodes or more, the only thing I could see them doing is have more Nina and dog screen time so that he viewer would be more attached, eventually creating a deeper depression after what happened to her. Maybe a longer Scar fight, but then he wouldn't seem so seemingly unstoppable as he is now. Or more Edward brooding which would just be more angst than needed.

I liked the way this was done, albeit I'm still depressed from sadness by it.
Apr 26, 2009 3:51 PM

Sep 2008
process of rereading the manga and i gotta say, the anime is truly going at the pace of the manga completely. there may be a few added scenes here and there to give us a more attached feeling to nina and alexander, but its a small amount compared to rest.
1 chapter per episode, so there will probably be 100 episodes, give or take 5 episodes for expansion/shortening. so the series should last for 2 years (104 episodes excluding holiday).
also made me realized how much the 1st series really separated itself from the manga so early on and added a bunch of material to drag it on o.o.

the thing that confused me was the scene where edward was punching tucker.
ed was unharmed and was repeatedly punching tucker. then suddenly his left eye looks like hes crying out blood. sure it couldve been blood being spewed from tucker, but thats a bit too close to the eyes, dont you think?
Apr 26, 2009 4:05 PM

Aug 2008
This reminded me of the first adaptation of this episode. It is still depressing as ever. It was executed very well considering the length.

I did notice that the violence is reduced to a smaller scale. However, I don't find it a huge factor on watching this. I also didn't feel anything wrong about the pacing on this episode as compared to the last.

Apr 26, 2009 4:15 PM

Jan 2008
i love how this series is darker... i was admiring the blood all over the episode. ^^; anyways. great episode as usual
Apr 26, 2009 4:22 PM

Jan 2009
man oh man, this is getting good. but i have to say that this is the darkest and most disturbing episode yet, those chimera things a bloody creepy and to know that nina got messed up like that, breaks me heart.
Apr 26, 2009 4:37 PM

Dec 2007
atruong18 said:
1 chapter per episode, so there will probably be 100 episodes, give or take 5 episodes for expansion/shortening. so the series should last for 2 years (104 episodes excluding holiday).
also made me realized how much the 1st series really separated itself from the manga so early on and added a bunch of material to drag it on o.o.

I really doubt Bones will make it a long-runner like NaruBlePiece. they hadn't produced anything bigger than 51 ep ever.
this thing is the most puzzling issue with this new FMA, cause I don't know what to wait. they really won't be able to put a whole story (even if manga will end soon) onto 50 episodes, but making it a long-time airing series is highly improbable thing. -_-"
Apr 26, 2009 4:38 PM

Oct 2007
good episode - though i have to say im not too sure about the new voice cast for Scar i still prefer Okiayu version from the first season XD
Apr 26, 2009 4:43 PM

May 2008
dam unfortunately nina died in both season sobs

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 26, 2009 4:43 PM
Nov 2007
don't see what was wrong with the pacing.
oh yeah. there *was* nothing wrong with the pacing =l
so hush.

i liked how they gave nina-chimera all those lines. was very sad. pulled at your little heart strings each time ;___; </3

well scar's finally in the picture, so we'll see how much we fit into next ep
Apr 26, 2009 4:52 PM

Jul 2008
T_T Nina n Alexander scar came in pimp as usual tucker is a fag i hate him
Apr 26, 2009 4:53 PM

Aug 2007
Scary shiny glasses of doom! Other than that, the scene in the rain on the steps was definitely emotionally moving.
Apr 26, 2009 4:54 PM
Oct 2008
The pacing was great in this episode, I actually thought they took their time with this because if they hadn't it probably wouldn't have been a sad as it was.

The only thing I dislike about FMA is the deaths, they are so depressing ;_;
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

344 by CaviarSandwiches »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

971 by Angel_crush1 »»
May 14, 5:05 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Aug 9, 2009

359 by _Abdullah_ »»
May 14, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 27, 2010

376 by wretuo »»
May 12, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 5, 2009

620 by guikenshin »»
May 11, 9:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.