Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 13, 2009 12:02 AM

Apr 2008
Still not liking it that much but I'll keep watching. Hopefully, it gets different from the original soon. I don't like things exactly the same. It's why I don't like mangas and anime to be identical. No point for me to watch and read if they are. T_T
Apr 13, 2009 12:13 AM

Feb 2009
duotrouble said:
Still not liking it that much but I'll keep watching. Hopefully, it gets different from the original soon. I don't like things exactly the same. It's why I don't like mangas and anime to be identical. No point for me to watch and read if they are. T_T

I agree, I was a bit bored by this episode since I remembered what the previous FMA season 1 was like. Maybe if I had not watch the 1st season, this would appeal more to me. But they did add some humor and nice scenes that made me take interest.
Apr 13, 2009 12:19 AM
Jul 2018
That was fine, not as good as the first version but still fine. it still gave me the goosebumps. the scene with the gate wasn't as creepy as i hoped it would be. and i would've liked to see ed in pain while getting automail. oh well, at least it's a tad different from the other version.
Apr 13, 2009 12:29 AM
Jul 2008
Great ep. Add humor to the seriousness to the anime.
The "God" character was funny.
Great episode explaining what happens, although they left some parts I would have liked to have watched.
Apr 13, 2009 1:05 AM

Oct 2007
It's really difficult to judge the new series when there's so little information on it as of yet and even more difficult to have an unbiased view of it when one has watched the entire first series plus OVAs and movie as well as read the manga.

As it stands, I'm pleased with the content so far, with the art quality, and of course, with the Truth. He's just such an adorable Pillsbury Doughboy. ^_~
Apr 13, 2009 1:33 AM

Aug 2007
Needs moar Winry!
Apr 13, 2009 2:30 AM

Mar 2008
I really liked this episode!

The first episode was little disappointing but this episode was just great and that's because it followed the original manga version! That made me really really happy! :D

Only thing I didn't like was animation... I guess I just need to get used to it :P
Apr 13, 2009 2:55 AM

Jan 2009
Just a thought but do you wonder that perhaps they are "speeding" through the early stages of the story purely because it has been told before in the first series, thus they are planning on using the bulk of the episodes in this series to concentrate on the Manga material not covered in the first series?

It would certainly go some way to explaining why they appear to be taking the approach that the audience is already familiar with the story.
Apr 13, 2009 3:34 AM

Jun 2007
(Still can't get used to the soulless opening...)

Honestly, I didn't quite like this episode. At points it felt rushed (like the part about Winry's parents dying in the war), at points it felt that they were focusing on irrelevant things (they kept showing Ed and Al in the train too often). First series depicted the Elric brothers' childhood much better. Plus, it sure is difficult to get used to the new voices (Mustang sounds too soft for his personality). Yeah, this may have good animation and a higher budget, but what's the point if everything feels like it's done only for the sake of being done?
Apr 13, 2009 3:56 AM

Dec 2007
ManInBlack said:
Just a thought but do you wonder that perhaps they are "speeding" through the early stages of the story purely because it has been told before in the first series, thus they are planning on using the bulk of the episodes in this series to concentrate on the Manga material not covered in the first series?

It would certainly go some way to explaining why they appear to be taking the approach that the audience is already familiar with the story.

second the first part, can't wait to see those awesome chapters animated.
but their approach is not only for those who've already seen the first adaptation, it's for newcomers too.

and I have to admit that they do a pretty amazing job, considering the fact that they have to satisfy people who've already seen the first FMA, people who've already read manga and people who've just turned on the show. just look at the comments made by people who's watching it for the first time, they all amazed.

and the second time won't be as great as the first one. ever. so for it's great show, and great pace, cause I want to see recant manga chapters animated.
Apr 13, 2009 4:31 AM

Oct 2007
awesome episode!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2009 4:40 AM

Nov 2008
Rorix said:
Oxu said:
It was goooooooood episode and it followed manga mostly...sigh they skipped the real entrance test and if i am remembering correctly they were living while taking the test on central in that one alchemist house where was that little girl right???sigh....well but episode was good, but i dont like skipping good parts.
I personaly LIKE mustangs new voice and Hawkeye was amazing :D.

PS. I dont know did anybody else notice this, but WASNT Liar PLACE surrounded with DESERT!!!! There were forest and landscape were green...im getting worried...

Have you even read the manga? Those scenes were only in the original anime

Kidding right?? I can swear they where in manga -_-. Need to check that... i dont have first manga volumes...i lend those from library at start.
Apr 13, 2009 4:47 AM

Mar 2008
AngelLily said:
... And Paku Romi. Why are you so perfect as Edward?

"I'll give you my leg, my body, my soul! But please give me my brother back! He's my only brother!"

Tears. Simply... Made my heart race.

Exactly my thoughts XD
Apr 13, 2009 5:25 AM

Sep 2008
Really good episode. The part where Ed sees his "mother" after trying to bring her back is tough to see because it's so sad :'(

Alzea said:
Al’s face after Ed’s ‘cute comment’ to Winry – priceless.

Haha, yeah it was. That part made me laugh xD

Darkii said:
SUBS OUT-

lol

0 seeders
3 leechers

EDIT: xdcc = pure awesome

I second that xD

Apr 13, 2009 5:37 AM

Apr 2009
Loved it!
Apr 13, 2009 6:12 AM

Nov 2008
i am the only one that saw the "truth guy" in the shape of

nice ep, looks like this time trisha got a more deadly disease ^^(dies too fast O_O)
winly not afraid of ed transmuting a doll :( (lets hope that doll does not appears without the proper flashback ^^)
no ed`s surgery moment :(
yay! a more visible "kids mom" after the failed transmutation

ed attaking the king!!? wtf TRAITOR! send him to the jail ^^
king`s mind: i will giv that little kid a funny alchemist name to take revenge ^^

atleast ed when he got in the door didnt en up in
Apr 13, 2009 6:40 AM
Jun 2007
OK first of all I did like it very much.
They are following the manga story line, including truth, but...
First of all they are not following the manga story line, I mean, they are including all the manga parts just not in the correct order. I think that the way FMA started in the manga, first showing the human transmutation part then Lior city (the way it begun in the original, first, FMA ver anime series) was better.
Also, Trisha just died too fast ><
Ah, I have to reread the manga now.
Apr 13, 2009 6:42 AM

Nov 2008
darkglows said:
AngelLily said:
... And Paku Romi. Why are you so perfect as Edward?

"I'll give you my leg, my body, my soul! But please give me my brother back! He's my only brother!"

Tears. Simply... Made my heart race.

Exactly my thoughts XD

Same here ~
And the scene where Al was apologizing to Mustang almost brought me to tears too :(

Apr 13, 2009 7:30 AM

May 2008
Yata-sama said:
Bones failed completely with design and backgrounds, they're horrible. Story isn't great too, too rushed imo.

I really don't think so. Looked splendid in my eyes.
Apr 13, 2009 7:39 AM

Sep 2008
I find FMA: Brotherhood good. And I like how they didn't start in Lior this time. Rather that they are on their way there. And on the way we see their childhood. I find that good :D *but I dun like Ed's hair.. I miss the yellow color, and I like FMA better dubbed. But I still find Brotherhood very good. Can't wait for more episodes :D

Apr 13, 2009 7:47 AM

Nov 2007
Pretty damn good. Much better than the first episode. I'm glad they're going through scenes we've already seen quickly, plus all the manga stuff <3.

I still can't get used to Mustang's voice. Winry's was ok, not as good as the original, imo. Fiza's voice is great.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Apr 13, 2009 8:10 AM

Jan 2009
doblefilo said:

No you're not alone, I saw this too. :)
Apr 13, 2009 10:46 AM

May 2007
The absence of black lines outside the hair makes them look strange. Other than that, it's nice to see the most important part of FMA still exists: the funny moments. Always keeps me interested. Good to see all the flashback ending in one episode, because it would've been boring to watch them again.

ManInBlack said:
doblefilo said:

Oh, the irony of "the truth" being the seven deadly sins.
Apr 13, 2009 11:11 AM

Jan 2008
I expected much more drama from this episode. I think it could have been better. Nevertheless, the story progresses pretty fast, the OST is amazing and the art is quite decent. I hope we'll get to see the new episodes soon.
Apr 13, 2009 11:17 AM
Jul 2007
I don't want to read the full topic, but my face was like "EPIC FAIL YOU @SSHOLE!" when I saw this:

and what the hell is wrong with ed's ear?! his left ear is bigger than the right!
kraireApr 13, 2009 11:27 AM
Apr 13, 2009 12:21 PM

May 2008
A decent episode, even if it was a bit rushed. Then again, nothing really new here. Ed's talk with "Truth" was awesome though.

Orion1 said:
Definitely watch the original FMA, it is much better then this alternate retelling. This episode pretty much recapped the beginning of the series pretty well though. As others have said, they crammed a lot of info into one episode. The next episode does look like it is going to introduce something new. At least there is hope.

Except it's not an alternate retelling, it's suppose to be following the manga. The first series is considered an alternate storyline. Besides they need get through a lot of the stuff already shown in the previous series so that we can get to the new stuff.

I do hope they don't rush though Hughes death though. That would make me sad.

Apr 13, 2009 12:23 PM

Dec 2007
DaBigD said:
The absence of black lines outside the hair makes them look strange. Other than that, it's nice to see the most important part of FMA still exists: the funny moments. Always keeps me interested. Good to see all the flashback ending in one episode, because it would've been boring to watch them again.

ManInBlack said:
doblefilo said:

I'm glad someone else noticed it too! Because I forgot what he was saying, but when the "truth" was talking to Ed towards the end of the whole "truth" scene, his face looked EXACTLY like gluttony's. And wrath before that as well, if I remember correctly.

On a different note, I really liked this episode as well. It's nice seeing how it's different from the original FMA anime, too. I LOVED the whole "truth" scene though. Loved loved loved it.

And was anyone else like "HELL YEAAAAH" when Mustang mentioned Xing?! I got so pumped.

Apr 13, 2009 2:11 PM
Oct 2008
iiMNOTOKAY said:
DaBigD said:

ManInBlack said:
doblefilo said:

I'm glad someone else noticed it too! Because I forgot what he was saying, but when the "truth" was talking to Ed towards the end of the whole "truth" scene, his face looked EXACTLY like gluttony's. And wrath before that as well, if I remember correctly.

On a different note, I really liked this episode as well. It's nice seeing how it's different from the original FMA anime, too. I LOVED the whole "truth" scene though. Loved loved loved it.

And was anyone else like "HELL YEAAAAH" when Mustang mentioned Xing?! I got so pumped.

The truth does look like Gluttony but I don't believe it looked like Wrath before if you are referring to the manga version of Wrath. The first series's version of Wrath was not included in the manga. The body shape of "truth" and the Wrath from the first series may look similar in body shape but I believe "truth" has always looked like that in the manga.
Apr 13, 2009 3:57 PM
Aug 2007
I liked how they incorporated the truth bit earlier, but a little out of place. still awesome
Apr 13, 2009 5:21 PM

Dec 2007
kraire said:
I don't want to read the full topic, but my face was like "EPIC FAIL YOU @SSHOLE!" when I saw this:

and what the hell is wrong with ed's ear?! his left ear is bigger than the right!

it's QUALITY my friend.
but it seems that they put so much "effort" in this title because they plan to run it for a long time (I do hope they'll end up animating a whole manga) or just their budget was cut due to this crisis.
Apr 13, 2009 6:25 PM

Jul 2008
NoBadsign said:
On another note; I always heard people complain that FMA1 got way too dark by the time the second half began but, it seems to me that this new series isn't dark enough. From these last two episodes, I have seen blatant abuse of chibi, super-deformation, and sweat drops. Seriously, it's like the second half of GetBackers all over again.

The deformations and sweat drops happen in the manga, so to be more accurate I guess BONES decided it was best to include them. Better get used to it. ;)

Though I do admit that they do seem more extreme in the anime; I guess that because in the manga they didn't feel so out of place in a non-animated panel. Oh well.

doblefilo said:
yay! a more visible "kids mom" after the failed transmutation

atleast ed when he got in the door didnt en up in

These are all anime themes that don't apply to the manga or FMAB. :P

I liked this episode, though I'm still anxiously awaiting a couple of things to come. If only we weren't on an-episode-a-week schedule... xP
Apr 13, 2009 6:51 PM

Jul 2008
so this time we get a more in depth look at how the transmutation went; anyone else think the giant eye is like the rinnegan from naruto? but now the story is about to pick up where the first series began
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 13, 2009 7:20 PM

Mar 2008
I find myself vaguely bored by this, though I know it's done very well. I suppose watching the first anime and reading the manga repeatedly has sort of ruined the excitement for me. I guess I'm glad that they've changed very little, though. I like the original too much.
Apr 13, 2009 8:29 PM

Jan 2009
Why is this show SO freaking awesome!?
Apr 13, 2009 8:41 PM

Oct 2008
What happened to Riza's ponytail type thing? D:

I didn't know she had short hair back then.. I coulda swore she had her normal hair style
Apr 13, 2009 8:58 PM

Aug 2008
Having not watched the previous FMA and only reading a few chapters of the manga, I'm enjoying this quite a bit. Although I have little to nothing to compare this to, it seems like it's being presented well with no confusion.

I will definitely be watching the first series though, no doubt about that.
Apr 13, 2009 9:34 PM

Jan 2009
Loved how they sped through the Elric bros backstory (where as the original took 8 episodes) so we can get straight to the main plot.

Found myself on the verge of tears several times throughout this ep. Not from sadness, but on how true theanime is towards the manga. Ed in a wheelchair and Winry and Riza's chat particularly stand out as the highlights of this ep.

Apr 13, 2009 10:45 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
umm i dont see how this story is any different so far with the first FMA. i do see that the art isn't as good and the characters are drawn differently (in a bad way) ...
p r o f i l e 👀
Apr 13, 2009 11:23 PM

Jul 2007
Naruleach said:
umm i dont see how this story is any different so far with the first FMA.

i do see that the art isn't as good and

the characters are drawn differently (in a bad way) ...

Short attention spans much? Considering half of this episode was entirely different(and better) than first anime.

FMA1 = SD hand-painted stuff. FMA2 = hd computer-animated stuff. Not to mention that FMA2 animations looks a lot more vivid and breathtaking. No surprise, considering technology advancement from "moving mouths" time when FMA1 was created.

And Character designs are closer to manga, thus no. Its different in a GOOD way :)
Apr 14, 2009 12:43 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Fai said:
Naruleach said:
umm i dont see how this story is any different so far with the first FMA.

i do see that the art isn't as good and

the characters are drawn differently (in a bad way) ...

Short attention spans much? Considering half of this episode was entirely different(and better) than first anime.

FMA1 = SD hand-painted stuff. FMA2 = hd computer-animated stuff. Not to mention that FMA2 animations looks a lot more vivid and breathtaking. No surprise, considering technology advancement from "moving mouths" time when FMA1 was created.

And Character designs are closer to manga, thus no. Its different in a GOOD way :)
everyone has their own opinion. i do like the way they use "hd computer-animated stuff" but i just really prefer the character designs of the first one :)
p r o f i l e 👀
Apr 14, 2009 2:02 AM
Jan 2009
Quite average. Compared to the first episode and series as pacing was off, the first episode contained alot of information also that could have been spread over more than one episode instead of crammed into one, yet unlike this episode it was done well.
It seemed they just wanted to quickly move past there childhood, throwing in all the information that was spread out through the first season very well into one episode.
So far this new series isn't as captivating as the first and im hoping it will pick up soon and slow down the story a bit as i really want to see this series as its own series instead of always referring to the first to understand things better that are just quickly brought up in the second series.
michaelkosi13Apr 14, 2009 2:11 AM
Apr 14, 2009 2:07 AM

Nov 2008
Good times.
Apr 14, 2009 2:22 AM
Jul 2008
I just wanna get this out.

I know I'm comparing it to the previous FMA anime but oh well.

I know that they don't want to repeat scenes in the new series but it's just going too fast for me.

Yes the character design is similar to that of the manga and I kinda like that but does that mean they have to change the colours?? Ed's hair is way pale and Rose's skin colour is paler as well. Her hair looks even black from the preview. Guess I have to watch ep 3 to find out eh?

Bones also exaggerate things, use chibi at the wrong times.

I never thought I'd get teary for FMA but I actually did when Al was saying sorry to Roy.

I am hating the art so much and the pace of the story but I must say, I do love the moments that were brought from the manga. So much more touching.

Man, I feel like a picky old hag =="
Apr 14, 2009 3:29 AM

Jul 2007
ChibiHime said:
Ed's hair is way pale and Rose's skin colour is paler as well. Her hair looks even black from the preview.

Bones also exaggerate things, use chibi at the wrong times.

I never thought I'd get teary for FMA but I actually did when Al was saying sorry to Roy.

Ed's hair has no black lines and is "paler" to create the "golden hair" effect, considering that and golden eyes is what differs Elric family from everything else.

As for Rose - well, she was never intended to be "tanned" and it would not make sense, since Lior is in the middle of mountains and not some desert. Actually I like this design a lot more, as the hair feels more "natural".

As for chibi, well they are in those places in manga too, its just that its harder to actually "notice" them being chibi stuff in manga, due to the whole black-and-white-panels-thing.

And yes. This episode had a lot of great moments. Gate scene was terrific(in a good sense), Ed's VA acted her heart(and lungs...) out and even Roy's VA stepped up when compared to previous episode.
Apr 14, 2009 6:16 AM
Sep 2008
They really went through a lot of things in ep2. More than most shows stuff into 3 seperate episodes! It's clear they're really trying hard not to repeat scenes, and the few scenes they have to repeat, they do from different angles, character placements, etc.
(re-watched part of ep1 of original series yesterday for comparison)

This show clearly isnt for the newcomer. To understand what the hell happened in ep1 and 2, you'd need some general knowledge ahead of time.
Apr 14, 2009 6:26 AM

Jul 2007
Kabyk said:

This show clearly isnt for the newcomer. To understand what the hell happened in ep1 and 2, you'd need some general knowledge ahead of time.

Actually this is the case where knowledge from fma1 is a bad thing, considering almost everything will be different from previous series.

While the flashback was short overall, we will get a lot more flashbacks along the way, completing the full puzzle, so no worries.

Its just the different kind of show than FMA1.

In FMA1 you got the backstory handed to you in first ~8 episodes, in one huge flashback, and then some casual mystery stuff would appear. It gives you a huge picture and then just adds some details there and there.

FMA2 follows manga, thus there are more flashbacks, covering various parts of story. It will give you only parts of picture and those parts will combine after some time to make a complete view.
Apr 14, 2009 6:28 AM

Feb 2008
Rail_Man said:
Qft.

I'm enjoying this so much more than the first series.
Please tell me I'm not the only one.
Apr 14, 2009 6:30 AM

May 2008
LolitaDecay said:
Rail_Man said:
Qft.

I'm enjoying this so much more than the first series.
Please tell me I'm not the only one.

You're not the only one.
Apr 14, 2009 6:31 AM

Feb 2008
canephalanx said:

You're not the only one.
Good to know <3
Apr 14, 2009 7:52 AM

Dec 2007
Naruleach said:
umm i dont see how this story is any different so far with the first FMA. i do see that the art isn't as good and the characters are drawn differently (in a bad way) ...

There isn't much in terms of plot that is different from FMA1 yet (excluding ep.1 of course), because FMA1 followed pretty closely to the manga for a while. The only major plot difference I've noticed in this episode was Al's location during the State Alchemy Exams. They did change some minor details in this one though, such as Ed in a wheelchair and the addition of "The Truth", but you'll have to wait a bit longer to see changes in the plot. Not much is different from the first FMA yet in terms of the main story (excluding ep.1) except for the order in which they present it, and maybe the addition of some minor details. And to some, the order they present the story in is a very important aspect.

I also prefer FMA1 when it comes to art and animation, but not by much. Gotta love those classic character designs.
DunkyApr 14, 2009 7:57 AM
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

344 by CaviarSandwiches »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

971 by Angel_crush1 »»
May 14, 5:05 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Aug 9, 2009

359 by _Abdullah_ »»
May 14, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 27, 2010

376 by wretuo »»
May 12, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 5, 2009

620 by guikenshin »»
May 11, 9:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.