Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 14, 2009 7:33 PM

May 2008
Did anyone notice the drop in overall quality?
Apr 14, 2009 7:53 PM
Apr 2008
The episode was alright. Starting to see the story of Squad 7 coming together nicely. Alicia is just so cute!

Also, some of you guys are getting way too serious about the "impossible for a tank to do that, etc, etc" thing. Just enjoy the show.
Apr 14, 2009 8:39 PM

Sep 2008
i'm enjoying this show, i've only played the start of the game but they changed it a decent bit, guess this works a lot better for the anime though. Welkin is even more clueless than he is in the game though, guess it's a good laugh though :p well after seeing this episode i just hope that alicia and welkin aren't going to be too strong and just destroy everyone without trying much. i hate when main characters are either too strong or too weak.
Apr 14, 2009 10:43 PM
Jul 2018
what the hell
why is edelweiss so over powered.
if that piece of junk is like that in the actual game, it would have made the thing a lot easier. i mean, wth, drifting tanks? it drives me nuts just to turn that thing around in the game!

other than that, it was a satisfying episode, im loving the allusion they are making with suzie, who falls in battle so much just like in the anime (she faints like, every 3 minutes)

they better have more edy coming out or im gonna go very mad.
Apr 15, 2009 1:09 AM
Mar 2009
zanaikin said:

Gallia of the Roman Empire is modern France/Belgium (not to mention the flashy blue uniforms reminds me of French troops). But Ayako's explanation of Gallian military & political policy (I haven't played the game, yet) makes them seem far closer to the Dutch than France, especially that whole poor-country-stuck-in-the-middle approach.

Thats because Gallia of the Roman Empire also includes Parts of the Netherlands and Germany Along the River Rhine. You will notice a lot of Dutch and German names as the series progresses.
TheTallestApr 15, 2009 1:15 AM
Apr 15, 2009 1:19 AM

Dec 2007
snoopycamel said:
Funny Story:

The T-34 was an American design that was sold to the Soviets and in the end built the, but smaller M3 Shermans.

Close, but missing a few steps.
The T-34 was an enlarged BT-7 chassis incorporating a heavier gun and sloped armor. It's origins are one of the reasons it's pretty much the fastest medium tank of the war - the BT was the fastest light tank. The BT-7 was the third production variant of the BT-2, which was basically a copy of the US-designed Christie M1931.
But furthermore, the T-54/55 was a development of the T-34, and with the exception of the T-64 and T-80, all future Soviet/Russian tanks were derived from that.

So, if you trace it back, the T-90 is actually descended from an American design :p

Of course, this is a standard method of Soviet R&D. More often than not, Soviet advances were based on copying, and maybe improving, foreign technologies and designs. The PPSh-41 submachine gun for example, arguably the best such weapon in WWII, was the result of mating a Finnish magazine and feed mechanism with a German firing one.
Apr 15, 2009 7:34 AM
Sep 2008
Well having played the game, if the anime can keep up with my expectations (fan) its done well :p

Must say the animation in the game is much nicer but ohwell,though I noticed many soundtracks fromt her game are now in the anime :D

Also looking forward to the characters that were only minor squadmates in the game. Seeing Suzie although how useless she is in action (ratehr than the same 3 lines) was good and looking forward to the rest. Noticed in the endings that 'Largo's male Lover' has been included. Expecting many lol's to follow :D
Apr 15, 2009 12:50 PM

Mar 2009
This was a pretty satisfying episode. I'm not sure what's more annoying though, Suzie's constant fainting or the fact that we'll be seeing more of her.

I'm enjoying this take on World War II, and I'm curios to see how the story progresses. I'll probably stick with this show until the end, unless it falls apart along the way. Considering how highly rated the game is I'm sure the anime won't disappoint. If I ever save enough to buy a PS3 I'll probably try the game out.
Apr 15, 2009 2:13 PM

Sep 2007
Susie needs to get off the show, no matter how it's done.
Apr 15, 2009 3:32 PM

Apr 2008
Despite my complaints about the density of some characters (though there was some improvement this episode), I'm enjoying this. Who knows, maybe joining a real army will cause Susie to grow a backbone. I'm certainly not objecting to their choice of having all the women sport some zettai ryouiki. :D
Apr 15, 2009 7:36 PM

Feb 2009
I liked the episode
not more than the first
it seems like its only going to get better though ^.^
~May you continue being the Messiah....
Apr 15, 2009 7:38 PM

Jan 2009
ErwinJA said:
snoopycamel said:
Funny Story:

The T-34 was an American design that was sold to the Soviets and in the end built the, but smaller M3 Shermans.

Close, but missing a few steps.
The T-34 was an enlarged BT-7 chassis incorporating a heavier gun and sloped armor. It's origins are one of the reasons it's pretty much the fastest medium tank of the war - the BT was the fastest light tank. The BT-7 was the third production variant of the BT-2, which was basically a copy of the US-designed Christie M1931.
But furthermore, the T-54/55 was a development of the T-34, and with the exception of the T-64 and T-80, all future Soviet/Russian tanks were derived from that.

So, if you trace it back, the T-90 is actually descended from an American design :p

Of course, this is a standard method of Soviet R&D. More often than not, Soviet advances were based on copying, and maybe improving, foreign technologies and designs. The PPSh-41 submachine gun for example, arguably the best such weapon in WWII, was the result of mating a Finnish magazine and feed mechanism with a German firing one.

Me think is T-90 was T-80 with Leopard tank design.
Apr 15, 2009 8:04 PM

Sep 2008
lol super tank FTW!!! Although I hope that tank doesn't make things to easy for them.

Apr 15, 2009 11:55 PM

Jan 2009
I wanted to say me watch episodes more than 3 times sometimes. I noticed the saying of first war......with pic, can we suppose all this WW2?

Apr 16, 2009 2:41 AM

Apr 2009
that tank was fucking awesome!

♥ MakaAlbarn is my wife, and I really love her ♥
Apr 16, 2009 2:46 AM

Nov 2008
Whoa...didn't know this even had an anime.

Gonna start watching this.
Apr 16, 2009 5:55 AM

Mar 2009
I really enjoyed this episode, the tank fights were nice. The preview makes the next ep look like it's gonna be awesome. I thought the Town Watch uniform was hot on Alicia, but the Malitia Uniform is much hotter...Thigh high boots FTW!!! Urahara Out!!
Apr 16, 2009 6:33 AM

Feb 2008
japanme32 said:

T-90 is a T-64 modification, just like T-72, T-80 and every Russian or Ukrainian design in between. The main difference between all those models is the tower and weaponry plus electronics. The basic chassis remains the same. All those models (except 64, 90 has it by standard) have ERA as well (explosive reactive armor, those brick-like things on its armour) so yeah. Generally Russian designs aren't affected by western ones.

And even if Russians did copy some elements, which is extremely unlikely, they certainly were unable to improve them or even retain the original quality of those elements. That has always been the case, or at least since WWII.
Led_WaylineApr 16, 2009 6:38 AM
Apr 16, 2009 6:41 AM

Jan 2009
TheCorruptedOne said:
japanme32 said:

T-90 is a T-64 modification, just like T-72, T-80 and every Russian or Ukrainian design in between. The main difference between all those models is the tower and weaponry plus electronics. The basic chassis remains the same. All those models (except 64, 90 has it by standard) have ERA as well (explosive reactive armor, those brick-like things on its armour) so yeah. Generally Russian designs aren't affected by western ones.

And even if Russians did copy some elements, which is extremely unlikely, they certainly were unable to improve them or even retain the original quality of those elements. That has always been the case, or at least since WWII.

All I heard is that T-90 have better plates for armor than other tanks. The rest I ok with what you say.
Apr 16, 2009 7:34 AM

Feb 2008
japanme32 said:

All I heard is that T-90 have better plates for armor than other tanks. The rest I ok with what you say.

At least it provides superb protection from RPGs. It is highly questionable if the ERA system is also able to protect it from tank rounds (Leopard 2 can withstand several 125 mm tank cannon direct hits by the way).
Apr 16, 2009 7:50 AM

Jul 2007
japanme32 said:
I wanted to say me watch episodes more than 3 times sometimes. I noticed the saying of first war......with pic, can we suppose all this WW2?

Well VC's version of WW2, which is Europan War II (EWII). As the "first war" he is referring to is Europan War I (EWI).
Apr 16, 2009 8:11 AM

Feb 2008
I could have sworn that this was an anime discussion board...

Lackness of Suzie and those brats really made this episode a whole lot better than the first episode.
Apr 16, 2009 8:20 AM

Jan 2009
Barbobot said:
japanme32 said:

Well VC's version of WW2, which is Europan War II (EWII). As the "first war" he is referring to is Europan War I (EWI).

Thank you for confirmation. Me feel mind at ease more.

TheCorruptedOne said:
japanme32 said:

At least it provides superb protection from RPGs. It is highly questionable if the ERA system is also able to protect it from tank rounds (Leopard 2 can withstand several 125 mm tank cannon direct hits by the way).

Yes, heard same too.
Apr 16, 2009 12:59 PM
Cool Story Bro

Dec 2007
Pretty good ep
Felt quite happy when the reunion occured
then I realized, why did the town guard go defend and risk their lives (which some died)
why didn't they just use the ubertank in the beginning and easily wipe out the enemy forces? >_>
Apr 16, 2009 6:24 PM

Apr 2009
Liked the episode. It seems to be shaping up to be a good series!
Apr 17, 2009 4:39 AM

Jan 2008
Awesome tanks was awesome. Great episode.
Apr 17, 2009 7:26 AM

Apr 2007
Allison + Lillia = Alicia
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2009 11:27 PM

Dec 2007
That tank is awesome for sure. I liked Valkyria Chronicles more than anymore, and the animation is amazing as always. Oh, Alicia is very cute. I am interested in Valkyria Chronicles now.
Apr 21, 2009 3:11 AM
Jul 2008
Isara has great tank driving skills, even though the tank itself was already rigged, bouncing off a tank fire...
Welkin's still seems pretty useless still, although he has a great sense of combat.
Great scenery after all the combat, not talking about the village, but everything else around it.
Funny how Welkin's joined the army, when he doesn't seem like that type of guy who likes to fight, and Alicia crashing into him.
QuickfoxApr 21, 2009 3:19 AM
Apr 22, 2009 11:14 AM

Dec 2007
TheCorruptedOne said:
japanme32 said:

1) The T-80 is a derivative of the T-64, which was derived from a parallel development to the T-55 and T-62, and a completely new design. It is not part of the T-55/62/72/90 lineage. Similarly, while the T-90 incorporates some things the T-80 had, it is nowhere near being a development of it. It's more along the lines of the Russians would have to be either crazy or stupid not to incorporate those features on ALL future designs.

2) The T-64 uses ERA too. Pictures speak louder than words.

3) Western developments are quite important to the Russians. Heck, they probably wouldn't even be using using their landmark ERA at all if not for western developments. They developed their own, and shelved the project, reviving it only after Israeli Blazer armor proved extremely effective in Lebanon.

4) The Russians are known to be exceptional at acquiring technology, reverse-engineering it, and improving it. That's one of their greatest strengths. It's what gave them most of their best equipment in WWII, kept up their armor and missile developments, and saved their submarines from becoming obsolete. They're very good at it. If they weren't, the Cold War would have ended a few decades earlier.

All that said, I love how the tank only needs two crew members. Most WWII ones needed 5-7, and even modern ones have yet to get below 3 (driver, commander, gunner).
ErwinJAApr 22, 2009 11:18 AM
Apr 23, 2009 11:03 PM

Jul 2008
This was a pretty good episode. It was a nice why to lead into them joining the Militia. I was glad when that guy in that crappy old tank got killed. He was so ignorant. It seems like things will get much more interesting now that they're in the Militia.
Apr 25, 2009 1:40 PM

Mar 2008
Clearly better than the 1st episode. The battles were pretty nice, and the story seems interesting.
May 3, 2009 9:11 AM

Oct 2008
Blue tank? Looks nice..

Aside from that, it was somewhat a boring episode..

Next episode.. Welkin will be joining the military along with Alicia and a few others to fight a war that ends all wars. In other words..

To obtain world peace, people must be prepared to fight and die.
May 5, 2009 4:35 PM

Jun 2008
Great episode, pretty moving. So Alicia is already a Sergent, I guess a little bit of time has passed since they last saw each other. I am looking forward to the next episode!
Aug 12, 2009 6:28 PM

Aug 2008
Gee I wish the edelweiss could move THAT FAST and one shot tanks in the game! :D

And.. did I just see it drift? on tank treads? woooo!

Jun 16, 2010 1:19 AM

Sep 2008
Liked the episode -- I can easily see now how it's based off of a game! Definitely had that sort of feel to it (or so I thought, at least!). I'm liking Alicia and the two Gunthers, but not Susie so much... She seems sort of useless, and seems like she's just one of those who follows others (such as following Alicia into the militia). Alicia's promising though~ Looking forward to seeing how the relationships develop between some of these characters. :)
Jul 27, 2010 10:42 PM
Apr 2009
The Edelweiss never goes that fast in the game! D=

The visuals look so good! Welkin's lines are very funny =]
Aug 21, 2010 6:53 AM

Jun 2009
Imba tank, but good..
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Sep 26, 2010 4:07 PM
Mar 2010
It's looking good! The tank is amazing xD
Mar 19, 2011 5:18 PM

May 2010
Meh
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 5, 2011 7:20 PM

Apr 2009
I didn't expect the Edelweiss to be that fast but what the heck, right? They went to the Militia but what happened to the tank? Was it confiscated by the army or what?
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 8, 2011 7:02 AM

Oct 2010
woah, that tank is strong!!!! XD
good second episode!!!
Aug 2, 2011 3:16 AM

Apr 2009
So, they ended up joining the regular forces after all. I hope they keep the tank, it's a shame if the army were to take it away or something for research or reassignment to a veteran tank crew.
Aug 21, 2011 11:56 AM

Aug 2010
kie_ said:
Badass tank.
Oct 31, 2012 3:06 PM

Sep 2012
That armor deflection.
Good episode.
Mar 25, 2013 8:29 AM

Jun 2011
kie_ said:
Badass tank.

+ 180 degree turn. 'nuff said.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 15, 2015 10:44 AM

Oct 2012
Nonononono Eidelweiss can't deflect the bullets
Well...
Too badass in anime, in the game it's so slow like other tanks

W-wait operation cloudburst already?
Too fast, the story progression too fast xD

Next time
Rosie, Largo, and other 7th squad member!! :)
"Signature removed"
Jun 22, 2015 8:29 PM

Aug 2013
The general death was damn hilarious. But hey, he did destroyed one tank, I guess that's better than nothing.

Welkin seemed more involved in the game... On the other hand, I can understand that he wanted to get the fuck out of there. They were clearly outnumbered, if it wasn't of the Edelweiss surprising them. Had they a more careful general, they could have won against the Edelweiss.

It's interesting that they give story to the minor character. It will be nice to see some of the characters backstory.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 28, 2016 4:21 AM

Mar 2014
So .. that flower is a Lion's Paw . Beautiful as well as the view atop ~ .
Our cast starts their progress here ~ .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2017 10:46 AM

Jun 2011
Back after 4 years to complete this series.. It started well but imo they didn't develop Alicia's and Wlekin's relationship very well. Even though there should be animosity or doubt between Alicia and Welkin, they played it off way too easily, they bonded way too quick, she carelessly got close to them, etc. If Welkin was truly a spy, she would have been dead a long time ago.

I know they are suppose to bond over time, but that doesn't mean that you can be lazy and skip over the "development phase" and go straight to the point.

Alicia also bonded way too quickly with the sister, that even Welkin questioned if that was really their first meeting. The sister was threatened by a gun, yet when she managed to snatch the gun away, she gave it back to Alicia. If she was still in doubt, the sister would regret doing that. :/

The show played off trust issue way too simple.

Ego will be your downfall, RIP (but not really, rot in hell), captain.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» is the story complete in anime form?

NaughtySempai - Feb 2

8 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 3, 3:29 AM

» Never got dubbed?

searingdark - Sep 15, 2023

3 by Levo »»
Oct 26, 2023 4:12 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

daniking79 - Jul 4, 2009

76 by SSGHOKAGE »»
May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hazelnutman - Apr 4, 2009

156 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:18 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Sep 26, 2009

195 by Playcool »»
Feb 13, 2023 5:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.