Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 22, 2021 8:55 PM

Jan 2020
For me it is but a lot of people like it

Apr 5, 2021 2:54 PM
Jan 2021
I would say out of all Ghibli films, apart from Mononoke, this is deserving of the most praise. This film was a lot of fun for me with characters and with how well the story flowed. Apart from theses two other ghibli movies are just okay for me.
Apr 6, 2021 6:26 PM

Jul 2020
Spirited Away, to me, isn't overrated
Apr 15, 2021 4:21 PM

Jan 2021
Overrated, the whole love thing was dumb.
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Apr 17, 2021 2:48 PM

Aug 2013
All of Miyazaki's works are pretty overrated in terms of anime, the whole style, pacing and direction are so western in its core that it's just a cartoon made by Japanese without actual Japanese spirit which we can see even in worst anime. Specific visuals and classical music look like Disney just has a local studio in Japan and adapt western cartoons to locals just like McDonalds adapted to Japan with its exclusive Japanese menu. In terms of western cartoons though Miyazaki's works are pretty good for a family watch like classical cartoons from Pixar or Disney.
Apr 17, 2021 2:57 PM

Nov 2019
Well its hard to call a ghibli movie a overrated because of its style and nostalgic value for a lot of people.
I didn't like it as much as other people maybe because the style was new to me but it was a still a very entertaining watch nonetheless

Apr 27, 2021 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
Not at all. I think it deserves its praise. Very beautiful film.
May 2, 2021 5:54 PM
Mar 2021
is this even a debate?
May 23, 2021 8:15 AM
Mar 2021
It being in the top 30 is maybe too much but it still definitely deserves to be in the top 100
May 25, 2021 3:45 AM

Apr 2021
No because everything on movie is amazing. Overall 10/10
Aug 14, 2021 3:38 PM
Aug 2021
I came around anime pretty late like I started Naruto when it was about to end. I wanted to know about best anime movie and series so i got many recommendations and only was disappointed by none. That's when i came around movies like silent voice and kimi no nawa, let me eat your pancreas, colourful, etc. Even Naruto the last. I heard about spirited away too and i was recommended a ton by everyone who gas seen it, my friends, anime community on Facebook everyone i follow a channel on YouTube that reviews animated movies and their analysis and explanation is extremely convincing they also recommend this movie in at least two to three videos now that i saw this movie it was not that great. I have seen much better underrated anime movies i was not moved, i was not connected to even one character in the movie, i am not inspired, I didn't learn anything new like it moved people it didn't even touch me. I like the movie its beautiful its enjoyable but there is nothing that special to it extremely straight forward, basic Moral lesson and nothing new tbh. I loved watching colourful it moved me to the point of no comeback im not comparing them but that's much underated for the hype that is created for spirited away. I can definitely rewatch spirited away but not because i will re live an emotional attachment just because its animation was great and haku was hot.
Aug 21, 2021 12:30 AM
Jun 2021
Honestly This Is One Of The Worst Movies I Have Ever Seen
The Story Has No proper Direction
They Were Trying So Hard To Make it a "Family" movie , they literally forgot to give the story a proper narrative.
Most Stuff comes out of nowhere
There is no proper explanation for the spirit realm.
Since I am not japanese , I cannot know this until and unless the movie tells me but sadly it doesn't
This is obviously a subjective matter and not a fact
Personally i would give it a 3/10
Aug 21, 2021 12:33 AM

Jun 2020
didnt really understand the whole movie considering how I didn't see where the story was going but i still gave it an 8 since it was pretty soothing and fun to watch so idrk but id say it is pretty overrated since mononoke hime is better imo
Sep 13, 2021 2:42 AM
Jul 2021
Ya it’s overrated
I think it is -_-
Sep 13, 2021 9:49 AM

Feb 2021
Yes, I also think so, it's overrated. But still pretty fine
Sep 13, 2021 10:10 AM

Aug 2020
i think it's really overrated, especially for a ghibli movie.

so sleepy...

did you need something?

Sep 14, 2021 10:30 PM

Jun 2019
Pycha said:
i think it's really overrated, especially for a ghibli movie.

Spirited Away/Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi is one of the very few near-perfect anime I've seen, but everything about the reactions to it whether it's critics' reviews in print and online for the past 20 years as well as casual viewers reporting their subjective experience on forums like these indicates that it's very much an experience which either clicks or resonates with you on a level which almost transcends itself or it doesn't. To an extent, every piece of media can be said to have that factor, some moreso than others (and thus often more divisive), but this film is the very epitome of that. If you can't extract a certain feeling and meaning from its scenes then its scenes will feel dull and meaningless, individually and as a single collective experience. Oftentimes films like these are so powerful because they speak to pre-existing sentiments of members of the audience.

When supporters of its masterpiece status and those who fiercely criticize it (or at least scratch their heads in perplexity over its high rating and legacy) discuss and debate this movie, it's like they're discussing two different films. That's super relevant. What can move a person to tears, have them tremble in their seat or become lost in thought and feelings of nostalgia, longing, and lamenting the passage of time can have zero emotional impact on another person. Of course if a film like this has zero or minimal emotional impact on someone because they evidently weren't the proper target audience then it will appear lifeless, dull, shallow, and superficial to them.
Oct 21, 2021 6:21 AM
Jul 2018
it's basically alice in wonderland anime version
Nov 7, 2021 2:31 AM
Oct 2021
Yes It's overrated i think top 70 suits this scores so well.
Nov 9, 2021 12:49 AM

Aug 2020
This movie is one of the most magical experiences a kid can have with a film.

Keep in mind, it was made as a kid's movie, and it's still a great watch a decade later as you notice even more of the nuances woven into the movie and pick up on the larger themes.

It has a compelling story, imaginative and lifelike animation, a beautiful soundtrack, and realistic and believable characterization start to finish. More importantly, though, it emotionally resonated with me when I watched it in my childhood, and that kind of feeling from a movie this well-constructed doesn't go away even when you're an adult. Obviously, whether a work emotionally connects with you or not is going to have the biggest influence on how much you get out of it.

Whichever Ghibli movie is your favorite is a matter of taste, but every show or movie in the top 50 or even 100 is rated this high up for a reason. It clearly deserves its spot, and there's dozens of arguments you can make that literally top 50 show is overrated in some capacity.

For a lot of people, this was a part of their childhood, and it was somewhat of a cultural phenomenon that introduced a lot of people to anime. Just because you didn't vibe with it doesn't mean it's undeserving of its spot. After all, the MAL scoring system is indicative of how much the average person likes the anime.

Nov 10, 2021 12:24 PM

Nov 2013
It deserves all the praise it gets. IMO this is better than silent voice or Your name. Atmosphere is unlike any other movie IMO (Ghibli included... maybe Moving castle is the strongest challenger). Just like MC, you feel spirited away while watching the movie. Unique experience.
Nov 12, 2021 9:44 AM

Apr 2017
thotbatrol said:
This movie is one of the most magical experiences a kid can have with a film.

Adults as well tbh. It's a film for all ages.
Jan 9, 2022 7:22 PM

Dec 2020
A little for me. But most people like it so good for them.
Jan 9, 2022 7:34 PM
Jun 2020
I don't think Spirited Away is overrated, however its not my favorite Ghibli film that either goes to howls moving castle or princess monoke
Jan 11, 2022 4:35 PM

Feb 2019
Just watched it and I can confidently say that you're wrong OP. This movie is f'n awesome! Will watch the other films right away!
Apr 2, 2023 12:26 AM

Dec 2009
Surprisingly, yeah. It's nonsensical with its variety of plots and neglect of murder, etc. and odd forced ideas.

Very disappointed.
Jun 8, 2023 4:39 AM
May 2021
deactivated30325 said:
Do you think Spirited away is an overrated movie?

I had this conversation with my sister and I want to know what you guys think :P

Mod Note: Moved from General Anime Discussion.

It is overrated af. Watched it today, there was nothing special and worth remembering lol. Story was meh af, it was just a Disney movie for kids lmao
Feb 21, 12:36 PM

Apr 2011
It is definitely overrated. I know its main target audience is kids as Miyazaki himself states (10 year old girls according to him. Weirdly specific), but, that’s almost always the case with Miyazaki, so I was expecting something more well-written. The story is all over the place and doesn’t make a lot of sense. There are a lot of stereotypical tropes and I don’t think he gives them a new spin at all. The world is vibrant and the usage of imagery against the backdrop of Japanese mythology and folklore is great, and the fluidity of the animation and the attention to detail is astounding; however, I don’t think they are enough to ignore the lackluster storytelling and consider this a satisfactory movie. Movies, in the end, are narrative forms and even if one creates a more sensual experience that relies on abstract concepts to make it more avant-garde, it should be coherent with the general structure of the narrative as a whole. Miyazaki doesn’t try to make an experimental arthouse, the story of the film follow a very traditional narrative model, and when you make your assessment within this perspective, the underwhelming presence of the story turns this movie to a big disappointment for me. The world of Spirited Away is definitely rich and one can easily write a few distinct dissertations about the symbolism and subtle social commentary; nevertheless, this richness of content doesn’t necessarily make this movie an enjoyable or impressive narrative. In fact, it was one of the worst Studio Ghibli movies I’ve ever watched. Totoro, which I have been expecting to be very childish with its premise, felt like a much more grounded story with its minimalist and well planned plot structure.
Apr 2, 1:09 AM
May 2023
Reply to Infinite
I like Ghibli movies well enough, like they are all good. Notice how I use the word "good" though. I give pretty much all of them around the 7 mark. This is the top 33% of anime I've watched, which is good and all, but I keep seeing people rating their stuff 10 all the time. I don't get that.

I never really got the full appeal of Ghibli movies, it's like, ok, that was good, but nothing extraordinary. Kinda average in a sense.
@Infinite what about princess Mononoke. It was well deserving to be rated as a 10
Apr 20, 8:15 PM

May 2014
If you dig deeply you can find plot holes and stuff vaguely explained in every movie/series. But I judge movies from a simple view, not an analytic view. So in short, no I don't think it's overrated.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aaronluis26 - Aug 3, 2009

194 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:17 AM

» More movie/shows with this plot?

_txhsin__ - Mar 30, 2023

14 by Zoldra0 »»
May 13, 2023 3:16 PM

» Movies as great as this one

Kondyaedus - Feb 11, 2022

31 by tamashinochi »»
Mar 15, 2023 1:36 AM

» What is so great with this movie

Kintoki37 - Oct 23, 2022

39 by YoungVagabond »»
Nov 25, 2022 9:53 AM

» How can I convince my brother to watch Spirited Away with me?

LoudyKaizoku - Jul 21, 2022

39 by J3_Omega »»
Sep 23, 2022 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.