Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2009 6:40 AM

Oct 2007
Well considering it saids the mid 30s somewhere in the first episode (to lazy to look back), id assume it was WW2 or at least the beginnings of it, however since everyones using semi-auto rifles, and i haven't seen any SMGs, or MGs, I kinda though it was WW1 now

I know its majority fiction, but what do you guys think, ww1 or ww2?
Apr 7, 2009 7:03 AM

Jan 2008
This is just a superficial analysis, but considering that the persecution of the Darcsens plays a major role in the game and consequently the anime, I'd say WWII, to parallel the persecution of the Jews.
Apr 7, 2009 7:49 AM

Jul 2007
It's more of a fantasy/historical hybrid kinda paralleling WWII.
Apr 7, 2009 9:06 AM

Jan 2008
The whole anti-darscen thing does parallel the persecution of jews.

I'd say it's early WW2. The focus on using tanks as center of assault forces already surpasses WW1 infantry-based military doctrine, not to mention shocktroopers were only introduced late during WW1 (first used by Russians in Brusilov Offensive, adapted by Germans, then adapted by Westerners). Personal anti-tank weapons were also introduced pretty late. Not to mention the tank designs themselves, closer to single-turreted WW2 tanks than the too-many-turrets WW1 designs.

The only difference is that Prince Maximilion and his Generals are nowhere near as skilled as famous generalfeldmarschall like Manstein or Rommel. Introduce a Gespenster-7th-Panzer-Division and our heroes will be dead within 2eps.
Apr 7, 2009 3:36 PM

Aug 2008
zanaikin said:
The only difference is that Prince Maximilion and his Generals are nowhere near as skilled as famous generalfeldmarschall like Manstein or Rommel. Introduce a Gespenster-7th-Panzer-Division and our heroes will be dead within 2eps.

But anyways, it's EW2, and basically WW2 in everyone's case. Darcsen - Jews, and such to such. However, there's no bombing at Pearl Harbor or something. They just took some elements from WW2 and improvised a little. Looks like someone did their homework.
Apr 7, 2009 3:51 PM

Aug 2008
darkninja_loki said:

A rack indeed....

Apr 8, 2009 3:05 AM

May 2008
WW2 with WW1 technology
Apr 11, 2009 6:00 PM

Jan 2009
Need see ships and planes to see. I think WW2 because of tanks.
Apr 11, 2009 8:29 PM

Apr 2008
Soulstrider said:
WW2 with WW1 technology

Pretty much. The events are very parallel to actual events that took place during WWII. However, as others mentioned, the weapons, such as the bolt-action rifle, are from WWI. However, they also have antiquated tanks, which were introduced (but were very ineffective) in WWI.
Apr 11, 2009 9:37 PM
Mar 2009
gdavge2003 said:
Soulstrider said:
WW2 with WW1 technology

Pretty much. The events are very parallel to actual events that took place during WWII. However, as others mentioned, the weapons, such as the bolt-action rifle, are from WWI. However, they also have antiquated tanks, which were introduced (but were very ineffective) in WWI.

Some of the technology is WW1 and some WW2, The tanks are very much WW2 style tanks. (The Edelweiss is basically a King Tiger and the imperials are using T-35's) They aren't bolt action rifles either as they are semi automatic carbines. (those are just the scout weapons the shocktroopers who you will see later have submachine guns and some of the soldiers have Personal AT weapons.
Apr 16, 2009 3:26 AM

Jun 2008
Icy-nee-san said:
Well considering it saids the mid 30s somewhere in the first episode (to lazy to look back), id assume it was WW2 or at least the beginnings of it, however since everyones using semi-auto rifles, and i haven't seen any SMGs, or MGs, I kinda though it was WW1 now

I know its majority fiction, but what do you guys think, ww1 or ww2?
If you played the game, they actually have a glossary of all the events of the fictitious world. the combat is somewhat like in WWII, since they say that EW1 was fought with mostly trench warfare (WWI much?). the Edelweiss is reminiscent of late WWII tanks with its sloped armor, and the Shamrock is more like a panzer chassis with the flexibility of a sherman. in all, I say EWII(the war in the game/anime) is much more similar to WWII than WWI, where the combat is mobile and not restricted to trenches.
"I only have two modes... At war with something, or having sex with it! There is no middle ground." -Colbert

Apr 16, 2009 2:30 PM

Jan 2009
Me confirmed with pic is WW2. Check posting in episode 2.
Apr 17, 2009 4:45 PM

Jun 2008
japanme32 said:
another thing to note, there are no planes in Valkyria Chronicles
GAME/ANIME SPOILER! FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE PLAYED THE GAME ALL THE WAY THROUGH ONLY!

that might be noted, but the overall feel of the combat is like a simplified WWII.
"I only have two modes... At war with something, or having sex with it! There is no middle ground." -Colbert

Apr 19, 2009 1:12 AM

Jan 2009
elc1247 said:
japanme32 said:
another thing to note, there are no planes in Valkyria Chronicles
GAME/ANIME SPOILER! FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE PLAYED THE GAME ALL THE WAY THROUGH ONLY!

that might be noted, but the overall feel of the combat is like a simplified WWII.

Agreed is simplified.
Apr 20, 2009 9:46 AM
Apr 2009
I'm pretty sure its geared to a WW2 background, based solely on the mechanical designs of the tanks and weapons. Early WW1 tanks were slower and more primitive.
Apr 20, 2009 10:12 AM

Dec 2007
Most of the technology parallels early WWII, as stated.

And this may come as a shock to everyone, but, as of 1940, exactly TWO notable participants had employed semi-automatic rifles on any appreciable scale: The US and USSR. In the latter, the weapon was produced only in modest numbers and eventually phased out because it couldn't be produced in enough numbers.
AFAIK, Germany is the only other nation that eventually produced its own semi-automatic rifles during the war, and only towards the end (delayed because Hitler had a personal thing for the 98K). All other users of semiautomatic rifles in WWII either got them as donations from friends, or captured from enemies.

In other words, extensive use of semiautomatic weapons represents a higher tech level than most of the rest. Lack of them represents equal.

Oh, and for the record, the Sherman was not really that flexible. It was designed primarily as an infantry support tank, and not originally intended to engage heavy armor. US doctrine dictated the Sherman be equipped with a lower-velocity gun better for engaging soft targets, while high-velocity antitank guns were on tank destroyers like the M10 and M18. Later upgrades with heavier armor and high-velocity guns were partially an admission that the doctrine didn't translate very well to practice. It was quickly rectified in models for foreign use (such as the UK's Firefly), and for US use in 1944.
Still, there was a notion of mutual exclusivity in Western tank designs that held true until just recently, that dictated that antiarmor and infantry support roles could not be reconciled. Tanks like the M4A3E8 and Firefly were worthless against infantry, while the basic M4 and M4A3(105) were hopeless against armor.
Germans and Russians got flexibility down pretty well. The other Allied powers never really did.
May 1, 2009 1:34 AM

Jun 2008
um... remember this is a fictional game universe we are talking about...

btw...
SPOILER! FOR THOSE WHO HAVE PLAYED THE GAME!

and if you really want to talk WWII tech and strategy, the sherman wasnt very powerful or armored, but the UK and US had TONS of them, they didnt stand too much of a chance against Panzers, but they were extremely useful in pushing through enemy lines with the assistance of infantry since its 3inch armor is enough to stop almost all non-AT weapons. what the Sherman lacked in sheer power and armor, it made up with in versatility, being used for a variety of roles, from the calliope version launching missiles, to a crab-flail sherman to clear out minefields, to a dozer sherman to knock down hedges, to a flamethrower sherman for burning out entrenched positions. A standard sherman couldnt do too much against the armor of panzers/tiger tanks, but they sure as hell can clear the way through infantry. the US used infantry against heavy armor like panzers and tigers, getting close and killing the crew, or they just use their artillery. if theres one thing that the US troops are good at, it is improvising(the higher ups dont really care if they are the best equipped or not, even today).

but that was then, now, tanks are not very useful at all in modern warfare, they cost too much to make and maintain, and they can be destroyed relatively easily with a single well placed AT rocket.

but remember, we are really talking about Valkyria Chronicles, it has similar technologies and ideas to our own, but there are also stark differences... NO PLANES*, NO Bazookas or anything of that sort(they use "lances"), Ragnite is the primary resource for everything, and women are allowed to be drafted.

*well... its kinda complicated... watch/play the game to really understand whats going on.

May 10, 2009 4:46 PM

Feb 2009
darkninja_loki said:

Sep 15, 2009 10:23 AM

Mar 2009
If your wondering if there are planes in Valkyria Chronicles, read the spoiler below.

More topics from this board

» is the story complete in anime form?

NaughtySempai - Feb 2

8 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 3, 3:29 AM

» Never got dubbed?

searingdark - Sep 15, 2023

3 by Levo »»
Oct 26, 2023 4:12 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

daniking79 - Jul 4, 2009

76 by SSGHOKAGE »»
May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

japanme32 - Apr 11, 2009

101 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:26 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hazelnutman - Apr 4, 2009

156 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.