Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2009 9:25 PM

Jul 2008
Genix said:
Still I don't quite get it...
Why are they going through with this anime again? And how far was the 2003 FMA alike from the manga? I ended up with the impression that they had an original ending in the anime after watching the last episode. Yea that sure was a weird ending... I'm still a little confused about even now.
I probably won't know until info on the episode length of this anime comes out.

The older anime-- at least the second half, was completely different from the manga. That's why they're redoing it.

If you never saw the movie, it helped to end the series with a little bit more closure...
Apr 5, 2009 9:44 PM

Apr 2008
As soon as i heard Roy, i was like "Holy crap, it's Lockon!"

..It was probably the only thing i payed attention to xD
My Blog: Oasis Crossing ~The Book of Friends~

Forum Avatar: Fram Nara from Gundam AGE
Apr 5, 2009 9:45 PM

Feb 2009
I liked this episode but I felt that the quality of the animation and character design is not as amazing as the first series I wonder if it's because of the new director?!?!; Although it's been a while since I watched "Fullmetal Alchemist", I might be wrong. I hope this new adaptation of the manga would be as amazing as the first series cause I really loved it.

Apr 5, 2009 10:05 PM

Aug 2007
totally different than season one. x3

+1 for hard work without personal info.
Apr 5, 2009 10:19 PM

Nov 2008
Hmm... I'm on the fence about this one right now. I'll give it a few episodes before I make a thoughtful decision, but I have to say it's likable so far.

I just wonder if Winry will get screwed over again like in the original...
Apr 5, 2009 10:30 PM

Feb 2009
I love both art and music in new version <3

...but i don't want some kind of stupid fillers, i want to see Lin! Dx
Apr 5, 2009 10:55 PM

Jul 2008
This was goddamn awful. Despite being made six years later on a much higher budget, everything from animation to the music is noticeably worse.

The story makes me shake my head. The thing that made the original so great was that it was like a detective novel, with constant revelations and twists at every turn. In this particular instance, even though the stories between the manga and anime are different, the audience still knows at least sixty percent of this information. What's the attraction anymore?

This episode was sloppy and cliched. Constantly switching back and forth between serious action and chibi comedy, in the same scene, mere seconds apart, completely disengages the viewer, and makes him realize he's watching a shitty cartoon for kids, nothing more.

Also, did anyone notice that there were more unfunny "jokes" about Ed being short in the first eight minutes than in the first twenty episodes of the first season combined?

I'll give it a few more episodes, but so far, this is looking really bad.
YoungVagabondApr 5, 2009 11:05 PM
Apr 5, 2009 11:17 PM
Oct 2007
I honestly felt that they should have followed the same beginning if they were claiming to do a "faithful" adaptation. It's not always good to be different. Seriously, if people watching this episode had not seen or read FMA before, they'd be so lost with all the faces popping out at them and wouldn't even know what the gist of the story is supposed to be about other than using alchemy to do a boom here and a bam there. The episode was obviously targeted at "old" fans but whatever, I'm a new old fan so I'll stop complaining.

And YES! Welcome back to HUGHES! I missed him so much. XD

@ ShaolinRibiero, I agree, they overused the jokes. I did miss the chibi jokes and the mistaking Al as the FMA instead of Ed scenes but that was indeed a bit much for the first 25 minutes. I still laughed, hehe.
Apr 5, 2009 11:28 PM

Jan 2009
Simply loved, a beautiful op and end. The story seems much more exciting, I was happy to see the old faces. I love, perfect xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2009 11:29 PM

Oct 2007
Though the beginning wasn't perfect, they made up for it..hopefully if they keep it up like this it will easily top the older FMA
wat
Apr 5, 2009 11:31 PM

Apr 2007
With the obvious feelings of deja vu aside, this was an enjoyable first episode.
Apr 5, 2009 11:47 PM

Jan 2008
For this particular episode, i felt that everything was rushed, and out of place... If i hadn't watched the first FMA series, it would be really hard for me to understand what was going on. This episode sucked in terms of direction and the animation was a little bit of a disappointment, OP and ED have nothing to do with the general atmosphere, and yeah its personal and i really didn't like it. At first i laughed whenever Ed was exposed to being confused with his brother but it was used too much after all and it lost its charm ;) . Anyways, i may be harsh for this first episode, but i believe, once they start to follow the storyline of the original manga, most of the things will be back to where i want this potentially one of the best "things" to be^^. I still have high hopes for the rest, and looking forward to the second episode with hungry eyes ;)
Apr 6, 2009 12:00 AM

Sep 2008
I really didn't find the animation to be worse. It's not as clean cut as the first but it was a hell of lot smoother (if that makes sense -_-). I didn't get the feeling it was rushed, then again, I guess it may have been due to already knowing the characters. Either way, loved it. With Soul Eater and Gundam 00 just ending I was looking for a new action anime, and it looks like I've found it.

9/10 - for the first episode.

FMA2 has a lot of potential, well see what they do with it.
Apr 6, 2009 12:24 AM

Jul 2008
kikoushi said:
This episode sucked in terms of direction and the animation was a little bit of a disappointment, OP and ED have nothing to do with the general atmosphere, and yeah its personal and i really didn't like it.

I thought that perhaps the director's six year old son came up with the idea for the ED. Whoever greenlighted the decision deserves to be fired and never work in the industry ever again.

It's a faithful recreation of the first ED in FMA1...in a child's poorly animated scrawl. Besides being lazy and a ridiculous way of cutting corners, it clashes with the generally serious nature of the rest of the series.

It would be fine in a comedy anime...except FMA2 isn't one.

I did laugh once during the episode though; when Ed just suddenly starts beating the shit out of Isaac.

Apparently, Isaac killing a dozen alchemists, repeatedly trying to kill Ed, and attempting to destroy all of Central isn't a huge deal, but when he makes a completely valid, non-pejorative observation about how he lost his limbs, that's when Ed goes into Incredible Hulk mode and beats him up Popeye-style.

What. The. Fuck.

Oh, and did we really need the twenty thousandth flashback to when Ed and Al were children, as well as yet another episode devoted to this?

Everyone watching this has already seen Season 1 (or otherwise, they wouldn't have a freaking clue what was going on), so why are they beating a dead horse?
Apr 6, 2009 12:26 AM

Apr 2008
I felt like I was watching a Bleach or Naruto filler. ICK! There were some good moments. I did laugh at Roy being drenched. Overall though, I thought the episode was only okay. I hope it gets better but I don't have high hopes. T_T

I loved the animations for the OP and ED. I hated the music to them though. I've never liked Yui so as soon as I heard her I knew the OP was toast for me. T_T
Apr 6, 2009 1:21 AM

Apr 2009
Great first ep for a great anime
The OP is awesome ... one of the best I've seen so far
YUI is just the best ....
ED kinda sucked though
Apr 6, 2009 1:33 AM

Jul 2008
AWESOME!!! Iam so much more than glad they didn't bore me with the same stuff being repeated.That'd have been annoying. TOO good, I desperately want the next episode. <3
LOVED the OP! XD
Apr 6, 2009 2:05 AM

Jul 2007
HarryTram said:
I don't understand why ppl say this is suppose to follow the manga better. Where the fuck did the ice alchemist come from? Besides that, I actually loved this episode. And that ice alchemist was pretty badass. Favorite part though, hearing Kimblee talk.

There's mentions of Isaac in manga.:

Theoretically this is an introduction-premiere episode, to show off the characters and etc.

Next ep begins manga-faithful plot, while ep3 should be what this ep hinted at the end - that is
Apr 6, 2009 2:18 AM

Oct 2008
sujimichi said:
The episode was nice.
But for some reason, i feel like something is missing/wrong. I just can't really figure out what that is..

I can tell you what I think went wrong. It's an adaptation instead of a sequel or prequel. I would have much rather seen a new story that left off after Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shambala. But people who have followed the the manga will probably be happy if it follows that story arc. Personally I just feel a little sad that a new story arc was not developed. Instead they decided to give us more of the same, but told in a different way, using the same old tired humor that really wasn't that funny in the first place. Same villains, same hero's, boring. If this story doesn't develop a different plot in the next couple episodes, I'm writing this series off as just sad money making scheme to bring new viewers to an already played out franchise.

OP was nice! Art work was extraordinary, production execution was flawless, but ultimately it just didn't excite me at all.

I agree with....

ShaolinRibiero said:
Everyone watching this has already seen Season 1 (or otherwise, they wouldn't have a freaking clue what was going on), so why are they beating a dead horse?
Orion1Apr 6, 2009 2:32 AM
Apr 6, 2009 2:25 AM

Mar 2008
trontron said:
I liked it and can't wait for the next one. Feels kinda strange to look at this after watching FMA.

I have a question though, I watched the MKV from Shinsen but what players did you guys use for it? It was a little bit choppy at places for me; I tried with VLC, SMPlayer and also MPlayer. SM was the best. I got it running on windows media player but it was extremely choppy. Any advice?

coreavc + cccp + mpc = smooth
Apr 6, 2009 2:31 AM

Jul 2007
Orion1 said:
. It's an adaptation instead of a sequel or prequel. I would have much rather seen a new story that left off after Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shambala.

oh! you mean more...Nazi(mutated_by_cosmic_horrors_from_beyond) in mecha invading alternate realities during WW I ? Oh that would have been sooo awesome |end of sarcasm|
Apr 6, 2009 2:36 AM

Jun 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. The original FMA was my first Anime, and while I tend to judge it harshly nowadays, your first is your first.

However, this episode did have two problems. First, it acted more like a 25 minute promo than a proper introduction to the series. They rushed in too many character introductions, concepts, and a couple other things felt shoehorned. This ties in with the second problem,that it assumes too much that the audience is already familiar with FMA. Yes, most of us are, but from an individual direction standpoint, that's a bad move. It loses some of the credibility to stand on its own legs, and I imagine a lot of newcomers to the series might be more baffled than intrigued (one of my friends certainly was). It tips its hand a little too early on a couple plot points that ideally it should have at least acted out the suspense of the reveal, even if 80% of the audience already knows what's coming.

That aside though, I'm anticipating the rest of the series. The art and animation are head and shoulders above the original, and the characters and story seem set to follow the Manga proper. Also I think the OP and ED are fantastic, though I can see why someone might not appreciate the later.
Apr 6, 2009 2:38 AM
Aug 2008
Don't know the manga or the previous anime. But I really liked this episode so far, had almost everything I want to see from a good anime. I'm excited to see how it will turn out ~
Apr 6, 2009 2:41 AM

Oct 2008
Fai said:
oh! you mean more...Nazi(mutated_by_cosmic_horrors_from_beyond) in mecha invading alternate realities during WW I ? Oh that would have been sooo awesome |end of sarcasm|

Lets see, tired fully developed plot vs. new and interesting material? Well yes Fai I would much rather see a Trans dimensional "Nazi(mutated_by_cosmic_horrors_from_beyond) in mecha invading alternate realities during WW I," than this washed out, played out story arc, that uses trivial humor to mask it deficiencies.
Orion1Apr 6, 2009 3:13 AM
Apr 6, 2009 2:44 AM

Jun 2007
Orion1 said:
Fai said:

Lets see, tired fully developed plot vs. new and interesting material? Well yes Fai I would much rather see a Trans dimensional "Nazi(mutated_by_cosmic_horrors_from_beyond) in mecha invading alternate realities during WW I," than this washed out, played out story arc.
I'm not sure what definition of "New Material" fits Nazis Doing Bad Things.
Apr 6, 2009 2:53 AM

Oct 2008
BadSeafood said:

"New material" denotes that another plot other than the original is used. I'm thinking if one pays attention to the first FMA series you would easily see comparisons between the state and the Nazi regime. One very obvious example would be the Führer President King Bradley.
Apr 6, 2009 2:57 AM

Jul 2007
Orion1 said:
BadSeafood said:

"New material" denotes that another plot other than the original is used. I'm thinking if one pays attention to the first FMA series you would easily see comparisons between the state and the Nazi regime. One very obvious example would be the Führer President King Bradley.

So even more...

I doubt anyone can see "Nazi doing bad things to Nazi_who_go_by_other_name" as "new plot".

Oh the epic final Ed/Al's fight against Hitler, who is revealed to be a female schoolgirl alien from future :P

But hey, if they went with that, at least I would not need to buy cheese, I woul dhave enough of it till the end of the days :P

Seriously if you want to see a sequel to THAT fma - it is released long time ago. Just read the history, baby.
Apr 6, 2009 3:00 AM

Nov 2007
It wasn't absolutely horrible, but this episode did come off as rather cliched. For a while, I was just thinking, "Was this the show I was so in love with before?" I suppose it's a weak episode because it's anime original so I'm still looking forward to the manga adaptation stuff that's coming up.

New Seiyuu:
Shinichiro Miki as Roy: No, just no. I don't think I'm going to be able to get used to it. Some lines were fine, but it just didn't have the arrogance of the original performance.
Fumiko Orikasa as Riza: She didn't say much, but I've got a feeling I'm going to like her performance. Not as awesome as the 2 below, however.
Hiroyuki Yoshino as Kimbley: WIN. That is all.
Kikuko Inoue as Lust: EVEN MORE WIN.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Apr 6, 2009 3:07 AM

Oct 2008
BadSeafood said:
Seriously if you want to see a sequel to THAT fma - it is released long time ago. Just read the history, baby.

In that line of reasoning I should just stop reading, writing and watching any material. Because it's all been done before. Sweety Pie!

All I was basically trying to say was that I wanted to see a new series. Not a retelling of the original. That just basically means that I would have liked to have seen a prequel or a sequel to the original story. I'm still holding out hope though that this series will be able to effectively add a new perspective to original series. Particularly a lot more elaboration on the philosophers stone and Shambala. If they can manage to effectively give us interesting new side stories that complement the original then I think this series could still be worth watching. If this series follows this first episode as it's archetype then it will be a shame.
Orion1Apr 6, 2009 3:21 AM
Apr 6, 2009 3:55 AM

Jul 2007
Orion1 said:

All I was basically trying to say was that I wanted to see a new series. Not a retelling of the original. That just basically means that I would have liked to have seen a prequel or a sequel to the original story.

I think you completely failed to notice the point that FMA1 and FMA manga(on which FMAv2 is based on) have almost nothing in common?

The storyline is different, character backgrounds are different, villains are different. Its not just "fma1" inserted into pwetty new HD, its a whole new storyline, ala Hellsing Ultimate to Hellsing.
Apr 6, 2009 4:13 AM

Apr 2009
Considering this is supposed to be a new "faithful retelling" of the manga, I'm interested to see how fast the Lior arc and beyond will go, before they start delving into the content that was left out of the anime.
Apr 6, 2009 4:19 AM

Oct 2007
Awesome episode! been ages since i saw the first season but glad to see its back
it was a great opening episode with alot of reference to Ed's height, lol!
also liked the OP
looking forward to more
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2009 4:32 AM

Nov 2007
Finally saw it.

HOLY. BUSTER WOLFING. WOW.

Awesome~

Just, SHIN SHORYUKEN AWESOME. I think i'll watch it again! XDDD<3<3
Apr 6, 2009 4:41 AM
Nov 2007
Alright episode preferred the original as far as introducing Ed and Al goes though. Loved the multiple jibes at Ed's height, always win.
But seriously its already ranked #58 and theres only been one episode!
Apr 6, 2009 5:10 AM

Feb 2008
Oh. My. God.

That was amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed that. Love both the OP and the ED. Animation quality was fucking amazing.

Although I'm only 3/4 of the way done with the first series I'm still looking forward to how this deviates from the original. So far this has got serious potential.
Apr 6, 2009 5:53 AM

Apr 2009
Just wondering if anyone noticed but...
Has anyone realised that Edward doesn't have a black outline with his hair?
Same goes for Hohenheim

Kinda liking Mustang's new seiyuu ....
Seem's most laidback but not as arrogant.
IMO it suits him better
Apr 6, 2009 5:55 AM

Feb 2008
iMaim said:
Same goes for Hohenheim
Yup, noticed it. Thought it was going to annoy me but I got used to it quickly.

I'm on the fence about Mustang's seiyuu. I preferred him being arrogant, gave him more personality.
Apr 6, 2009 6:05 AM

Dec 2008
I've been bouncing around all week waiting for this to come out, finally watched it last night and I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. I was so engrossed with it to the point that I didn't notice how my brain is immune to kimblee's evil laugh....only to surprisingly find out that the reason behind that is because his seiryuu is the same for allelujah/hallelujah from gundam 00.

This of course does not apply to roy =_=. This was the only thing that bothered me, to all those gundam 00 fans (the only one I can think of is fai-san, btw fai-san...have you noticed that we like the same animes? I swear I see you in every thread I go to)....please don't tell me you guys weren't bothered by the voice acting here. I was so distracted...I hear lockon but I see roy. I can't seem to connect those two together, his voice is just too distinctive :( I've never had that much problem with any other seiryuu except maybe miyano mamoru...but even I can get past that sometimes.

Besides roy, I loved everything else. I'm really excited to see how everything goes since I've never read the manga, only watched the first fma.

Love the opening, I watched it several times...it was just that awesome :P and the ending was really adorable

I dunno why some people are being negative about this....I'm so psyched up for this! :D can't wait till I see the next episode~
Apr 6, 2009 6:18 AM

Feb 2008
It's only been one episode and people are already writing reviews and giving this a 10... the hell? Nothing much has even really happened with the story yet either, so I just find that stupid as hell.
Apr 6, 2009 6:23 AM

Apr 2009
What floors me still is that people are giving it a 1 ..... WTF?
Seriously, this ep doesn't deserve a 1, the lowest possible score that is at least believable is 5. God damn trolls ......
Apr 6, 2009 6:24 AM
Apr 2009
Great start, even though I havnt watched the original :/
Apr 6, 2009 6:27 AM

Sep 2008
Awesome episode! Very good start although the art may take some getting used to.
Apr 6, 2009 6:53 AM

Sep 2008
Good episode but ... I didn't know what happend in it XD XD
Art is different and Al's and Ed's hair are brighter ^^''
Op is really good!~!
oxo.anime.xox.manga.oxo.
Apr 6, 2009 6:58 AM

Jan 2008
iMaim said:
What floors me still is that people are giving it a 1 ..... WTF?
Seriously, this ep doesn't deserve a 1, the lowest possible score that is at least believable is 5. God damn trolls ......

wtf indeed... haters xD
I totally enjoyed the episode and I'm sticking to this anime :D The art is great too! xD
StriderApr 6, 2009 7:11 AM
We're all insane
Apr 6, 2009 7:25 AM

Oct 2008
Great episode, tho I don't really like how they've drawn Mustang.
Apr 6, 2009 7:28 AM

Jul 2007
iMaim said:
Same goes for Hohenheim

Thats because their hair is not blonde, Elric siblings and Hohenheim have golden hair and golden eyes.

LolitaDecay said:

I'm on the fence about Mustang's seiyuu. I preferred him being arrogant, gave him more personality.

I think it quite fits manga Mustang. Still arrogant person, bu with quite a thick mask of sly person.

robbydesu said:

I dunno why some people are being negative about this....I'm so psyched up for this! :D can't wait till I see the next episode~

Because people are too nostalgic and melancholic about the previous series to admit that FMAv2 can be better than FMA1. :)
Apr 6, 2009 7:45 AM

Jan 2009
Basically a good start to a new FMA adaptation.
The following might have already been stated by most people but I can't just quote all of them in one post here. Seriously,this is the 1st forum that I actually saw more than 300 voters and more than 240 posts in just one episode of the series. This is just crazy.:P
1. The opening song and video is consider very good for me. However, there are some places that's just too strange IMO for both video and song.
2. The ending is cute and make me laugh.:D
3. The soundtrack is very good too,quite fix for the 1st series. Let's see how other episodes soundtrack gonna like.
4. The characters' design is normal for me. The 1st FMA design is more special IMO.
5. Edward's hair color kind of annoy time sometimes,think can get use to it.
6. The voice actor is very good too.
7. The atmosphere of the series is good as well.
8. This 1st episode is quite over IMO,like others stated-overused comedy,characters introduction,actions... This will kind of attract new viewer but at the same time confused them as well IMO. For old viewer or manga reader might probably be a recap of the concept of this series.
9. The quality of this episode is sometimes high but sometimes normal or plain IMO. Let's see how other episode's quality will be. But the last scene is pretty dark and awesome IMO.
Addition to the opening:It looks like Lust,Gluttony and Envy make a comeback for the FMA opening.:P Didn't expect Greed in the opening too,but when I saw him jump off the building,I immediately think of spiderman jumping off the building image.ahehe The action of the opening is cool.
Overall,a good start with some disappointment but still enjoy it. Looking forward for the next one.
Apr 6, 2009 7:45 AM
Oct 2007
Very fun episode, but I miss Touru Ohkawa as Roy... Miki's going to take a little bit of getting used to.
Apr 6, 2009 7:53 AM
Sep 2007
Shitty episode, I hope the rest will be better and actually follow the manga.

Also - gayest opening i have ever seen in my life.
Apr 6, 2009 7:57 AM

Apr 2009
It was good. And it was definitely different, but I'm not so sure that's a good thing...
Definitely feels like much more of an action series, the fighting was much flashier than anything that was seen in the original. I just hope that the plot is still of the same quality as the original.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

344 by CaviarSandwiches »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

971 by Angel_crush1 »»
May 14, 5:05 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Aug 9, 2009

359 by _Abdullah_ »»
May 14, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 27, 2010

376 by wretuo »»
May 12, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Ahenshihael - Aug 2, 2009

211 by TheBrokenBoyy »»
May 9, 5:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.