Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 25, 2008 11:44 AM

Jan 2007
kei-clone said:
...i hate being the guy who has to disagree with everyone especially when we're talking about a romantic drama of eroge roots like ef since I'm the type of guy who likes this kind of show but...

This episode came out across to me as fake more than anything. I really hate to say it and I really tried to "get" this show, and I do get it and what it's trying to get across. I dunno though I think something may have been lost in adaptation from the game but anyway...

the most serious gripe I have is Miyako's breakdown. I agree that SHAFT did do a great job of getting the desperation across, and actually created quite a chilly tone showing that entire scene. However, here's the problem. We STILL don't have much of a background on Miyako other than the fact that she's somehow "disappeared" before. We don't know why it's happening, or why it happened. As far as Hirono standing her up, it's not like he didn't do it to Kei before either but Kei didn't exactly go berserk. And jeez come on, I can't believe people are saying they can actually relate to Miyako's situation! Who the hell leaves 99 messages?! If you call someone a few times and they don't pick up, who in their right mind would keep on calling them in a span of a few hours (and it was a few hours, how long could it have taken to pick up Kei anyway?). Any reasonable person would just assume the other guy turned his phone off or left it lying around somewhere, no one would be like "you're ignoring me! ZOMG!" so yea, seriously I don't know what Miyako's situation is but I can't exactly sympathize because THEY HAVEN'T SHOWED WHAT THE DEAL IS! You can't just inject a desperate situation here where desperation was not called for like ef did and expect me to sympathize with Miyako (oh, how sad...no wait, this is stupid, it's a voicemail box dammit). And yea, that was really lame of Kei to delete the messages, but I really don't hate Kei as much as everyone else seems to be because I think what she does is understandable in her situation for the most part. (...)

THANKS for that post, really.

kasumisama said:
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Worst mental breakdown ever. This show manages to get worse and worse with each episode. Terrible, emotionally unrealistic otakubait.

and thank you too XD

For real. This episode was so bad. Miyako pissed me off. I only thought STFU BIATCH for the last part. I liked Miyako at the beginning but this changed with this episode. I wouldn't date a crazy bitch like Miyako. She may become a killerloli >_>
Dec 5, 2008 12:14 PM

Nov 2007
i think this is one of the strongest episodes I've ever seen in anime.
first the chihiro\renji scene that was so intense, and then miyako`s messeges...
it was just.. mind blowing.
Dec 9, 2008 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
Ophelia said:
kei-clone said:
...i hate being the guy who has to disagree with everyone especially when we're talking about a romantic drama of eroge roots like ef since I'm the type of guy who likes this kind of show but...

This episode came out across to me as fake more than anything. I really hate to say it and I really tried to "get" this show, and I do get it and what it's trying to get across. I dunno though I think something may have been lost in adaptation from the game but anyway...

the most serious gripe I have is Miyako's breakdown. I agree that SHAFT did do a great job of getting the desperation across, and actually created quite a chilly tone showing that entire scene. However, here's the problem. We STILL don't have much of a background on Miyako other than the fact that she's somehow "disappeared" before. We don't know why it's happening, or why it happened. As far as Hirono standing her up, it's not like he didn't do it to Kei before either but Kei didn't exactly go berserk. And jeez come on, I can't believe people are saying they can actually relate to Miyako's situation! Who the hell leaves 99 messages?! If you call someone a few times and they don't pick up, who in their right mind would keep on calling them in a span of a few hours (and it was a few hours, how long could it have taken to pick up Kei anyway?). Any reasonable person would just assume the other guy turned his phone off or left it lying around somewhere, no one would be like "you're ignoring me! ZOMG!" so yea, seriously I don't know what Miyako's situation is but I can't exactly sympathize because THEY HAVEN'T SHOWED WHAT THE DEAL IS! You can't just inject a desperate situation here where desperation was not called for like ef did and expect me to sympathize with Miyako (oh, how sad...no wait, this is stupid, it's a voicemail box dammit). And yea, that was really lame of Kei to delete the messages, but I really don't hate Kei as much as everyone else seems to be because I think what she does is understandable in her situation for the most part. (...)

THANKS for that post, really.

kasumisama said:
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Worst mental breakdown ever. This show manages to get worse and worse with each episode. Terrible, emotionally unrealistic otakubait.

and thank you too XD

For real. This episode was so bad. Miyako pissed me off. I only thought STFU BIATCH for the last part. I liked Miyako at the beginning but this changed with this episode. I wouldn't date a crazy bitch like Miyako. She may become a killerloli >_>

DITTO EVERYTHING. Miyako's backstory came out too fast, too late, and now she just seems like a psycho bitch. I actually found this episode really unintentionally hilarious because of how bad it is. It's a shame since I'm enjoying their experimentation with the visuals (despite how distracting they are).
Dec 16, 2008 7:06 AM

Mar 2008
Wow.
This was just.
Intense.

I actually disliked Miyako quite a lot before this episode, her actions seemed unreasonable, and it all just looked as if she was selfishly stealing that dude from Kei...
But really, I can relate so much to her now. She is being hurt so much inside and she is just looking for love... Although her actions were a bit overdone, perhaps, it was so touching she would be so desperately trying to express her feeling, just for one simple word of the one she loves, I'm on the verge of crying now...

Also, hereby I officially hate Kei.
Dec 22, 2008 10:13 AM
Dec 2008
Teddy said:
Wow.
This was just.
Intense.

I actually disliked Miyako quite a lot before this episode, her actions seemed unreasonable, and it all just looked as if she was selfishly stealing that dude from Kei...
But really, I can relate so much to her now. She is being hurt so much inside and she is just looking for love... Although her actions were a bit overdone, perhaps, it was so touching she would be so desperately trying to express her feeling, just for one simple word of the one she loves, I'm on the verge of crying now...

Also, hereby I officially hate Kei.

Man I'm so torn. When I started watching ef I had immediately symphatized with Miyako. I just love her, but when she started acting arrogant towards Kei I switched sides.
I started relating more to Kei.. but after this episode it's all switched again.

I think both girls have their good reasons but they both behave so poorly sometimes.
Dec 25, 2008 12:27 PM

Dec 2008

Holy crap...I can't believe how many times I had to pause through Miyako's message scene, I didn't want to carry on watching, it was really painful.

Kei?
Die.
Now.

~Abs
Jan 4, 2009 6:52 PM

Dec 2008
Presentation. All I can say is wow. The screenplay, camera angles; all of it is making me feel so...attached to things more than I need to. I can't say who I'm siding for anymore. Seeing Miyako make her phone calls at the end just...well, it had me on the verge of tears. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. It just further goes to show that love is a cruel, relentless battlefield.

Er, my mistake. In Miyako's case, what with her history and her parents and the feeling of emptiness, Hiro would be the fill to the void. And by this episode we can see how desperately she needs it. Hah, I hope I'm not in a position like Miyako's any time in my life...looking forward to ep. 8.

Dango, dango, dango, dango, dango, daikazoku~

Jan 29, 2009 11:54 PM

Nov 2007
Woah this episode went dark, I mean Renji's sudden change in attitude, Chihiro's reaction, then to Miyako, I mean wow so many messages, she seemed almost unstable at some points.
Feb 3, 2009 4:45 AM

Nov 2008
The ending to that one was something fairly unique that I have not seen before, presentation wise lol. What really had me worried is that she sounded like she was on the verge of self harming towards the end. It is a scene that many people can relate to, and even shudder. I'm sure a few of you have even lost your cool to this degree when you have lost somebody and have learnt that it's hard to change somebodies mind afterward. You look back now and see how irrational it is but at the same time know what it feels like for her.
http://www.youtube.com/swiftstylez - My AMV's. I would really appreciate any comments and ratings :]

Mar 11, 2009 2:52 AM

Jan 2009
Chihiro wanted Renji to kiss her... but for the wrong reasons, she thinks nobody will be this close to her so she thinks "why not? After all im just a freak, and he is helping me so much... why not give him what he wants?", Renji couldn't do it because it wasn't right. She believes that she wont make anyone happy because of her amnesia... despite Renji wanting to be with her.

That was really deep.

And then the calls from Miyako's messages... beein deleted by Kei. Makes u want to kill urself with a black lipstick.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Mar 15, 2009 1:05 PM

Feb 2008
Wow, that was intense. I'm glad I got into this anime... o:

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, give it a thousand reasons to smile. =]
Mar 15, 2009 4:16 PM

Aug 2008
At Renji's struggle I was already holding my breath but the 99 messages squeezed my lounge. Meltdown to the core. The last scene was really the finishing touch. It was the most intense 20 minutes I had in a while (probably beats those Toradora moments).

I started to get interested in the show with the last 1 or 2 eps, but this.. I'm glad I could live to see this..
Mar 22, 2009 8:02 AM

Feb 2009
Wow, amazing episode! So sad and painful...
Apr 8, 2009 5:34 PM

Aug 2008
Ryou in ef.

How similar is that o.o
Jul 3, 2009 1:48 AM

Apr 2009
Maybe I'm alone in my opinion, but I really wasn't feeling it from this episode. I disliked the random and sudden animation sequences along with the whole change of art style. I especially hated the slow continuation of Miya's background. We get it, she's desperate, no need for a flipping five minutes of calls. I for one think the animators could have done a better job instead of text going across our screen.
Jul 19, 2009 3:17 AM
Apr 2009
Listening to those calls became increasingly painful.
Aug 10, 2009 11:06 PM

Jun 2009
Excellent episode.. Miyako's seiyuu should have gotten a freaking award of some type for her fantastic performance. Do you people understand how difficult that scene must have been to pull off?

As for comparing Clannad and ef? Clannad's attention to character development paid off in a BIG way IMO by the time it got to the latter stages.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 1, 2009 2:33 PM
Apr 2009
This episode was horrible. The ending was the best part of the episode.
Sep 9, 2009 8:57 PM

Jul 2009
This Episode Was Great But Damn I Couldn't Help But Feel Bad For Miyako
Oct 2, 2009 8:47 PM

Nov 2008
I don't know why but this episode has just made me lost my appetite.
Oct 19, 2009 5:08 PM
Oct 2009
episode sent chills down my spine a very powerful episode we got a good glimpse into miyakos mentality and how much she longs to be loved and not forgotten the way it was animated and told was brilliant! Renji's breakdown was not something i so coming but again a nice insight into his mentality.
Nov 14, 2009 1:51 AM

Dec 2008
Myako message box comments were so cruel it was so depressing.
If I imagine the lost cellphone would belong to me and I wasn't able to answer to her,I would have felt really bad.
FabienneDec 18, 2009 6:28 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2009 7:08 AM
Nov 2009
AngelLily said:
Oh my God. Everything just went wrong, in a way you can totally relate to, it's nothing incredibly out of this world. The ED sequence had me holding back my tears, really.

Where do I start? I see what pains Renji. The girl in the book is her. With every word she types, she gets farther from him, somewhere he can't reach. He talks about happy endings, but she talks about breaking down. And then she blurts out that he should kiss her, "This is where you kiss me", like it was some sort of story, like it should happen just to happen. It's just wrong. And the animation showing Renji's state of mind really touched me, it was so painful to watch.

And Miyako? There was nothing psycho about her. With every new message, she just broke down more and more. I think we all had moments like this, where you don't know if the person is listening, if the person cares, if you did something wrong, and then you apologize, take the whole blame just because you don't want to lose the person. The only difference is that she voiced all of her thoughts and feelings, in a desperate way to get him back. She didn't just wait for him, she kept reaching out her hand to catch him. And then the ED, the so perfect ED sequence showed exactly how Miyako felt inside, and it was powerful.

I definitely love this. And I wish Kei will cry and cry and just be miserable because the thing she did at the end was despicable.

I totally agree with you comment, this episode, all that stuff was way too intense for me, great episode, at the ending I just dont know anymore if Rei is the good girl o she turned to be the bad girl..
Jan 14, 2010 10:22 AM

Aug 2009
All I can say is: OH SHI-
-Fixing-
Feb 19, 2010 1:55 AM

Sep 2009
I guess I'm the only person who doesnt suddenly hate Kei and realize Miyako is made for Hirono?

Miyako's break down just freaked me to hell out. She needs some friends. I was getting up off that bench and taking my ass home after the 3rd call or so. If I was Hirono and I HAD listened to those 99 msgs, I was changing my locks. damn right bish.

And abt Kei, yes it Was mean. I admit that. but she SAID "I'm gonna erase you biotch" (oki minus the name calling) but she SAID IT. what you guys thought it was an empty threat? I for one feel proud of her living up to her one moment of badassness when she basically told Miyako.. IT'S ONNN BISH. Kei is not abt to give up such an important pillar in her life. and if she's willing to play dirty then you go girl! I aint watching this show for no pancy shit.
Feb 22, 2010 11:00 AM

Jan 2010
The ending was really touching.
Feb 24, 2010 11:09 PM

Dec 2009
I don't know why but after hearing about 3 mins of Miyako, it started to piss me off..
Mar 16, 2010 2:33 PM

Jan 2010
What kei did was wrong. Also, though I feel bad for Miyako, I still think she went atad overboard. I just don't like this side of the story (the side with hiro). Hiro's character sometimes seems to annoy me.
I realllyyyy like that guy who likes Kei, and I love the Renji x Chihiro story the most.

Davyu said:
I don't know why but after hearing about 3 mins of Miyako, it started to piss me off..

Lol, yeah. She kind of got annoying... there was A LOT of messages.
Mar 30, 2010 6:57 PM

Feb 2010
Wow. Such an amazing episode.
Poor Miyako. Before this episode I didn't really like her character, but I love a girl who can fall to pieces like that.
The quality and style of the animation blows me away! When Renji & Chihiro were on the beach and Chihiro asks him to kiss her, my mind was blown. The slow fade to red, and the scene of him in his own mind stumbling around and then falling to the ground, really moved me.

Soooo good.
Mar 31, 2010 7:55 PM

Jun 2009
The best episode yet.

Miyako's voice message part was superb, I was stunned in front of my monitor with my mouth hanging a bit open the whole time.

Seeing how she got from joking, to annoyed, to frustration, to worrying, to desperate, and anger cause by desperation, then sad, then hatred cause by sadness, then despair...

Wow...

I can somewhat relate a bit to Miyako, but ultimately, I don't think I know half of what she's going through.

I kinda understand, and at the same time confuse about Chihiro's side of the story... Maybe I need to re-think/watch this series before I'll fully get it...

Chihiro's basically writing about herself, and her relationship with Renji is just the same as a book she read. She live her life everyday reading a story that she don't remember... she's basically reading a story about Renji and a character who suppose to be "herself" "This should be the part you kiss me" That part is just full of wrong...

I love this show.
AirStylesMar 31, 2010 7:59 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2010 7:00 AM

Aug 2009
Shit, that was amazing!! I just.... Wow....

I feel so sorry for MiyaMiya,
May 7, 2010 7:12 AM

Nov 2009
OMG I loved this one, Miya's phone calls had me feeling really bad for her.

Also seeing the end has completely alienated me from Kei, I cant stand the fact that she did that. Hiro at least deserved to hear what Miya really thinks and feels.
May 23, 2010 12:05 AM

Feb 2010
selective_yellow said:
I think everyone said pretty much what I would have to say...

Just, 2 things.

AngelLily: About you saying miya is NOT psycho, I agree. You take a look at kotonoha from school days, she was (at least in my opinion) not very likable, weak, and really psycho. In conrast, Miya has much more depth, and shaft does a really good job at not alienating viewers from her, and instead brings us closer. Then again, school days fails :P
and
Yes, kyoani definitely cannot beat out Ef, which is a shame. Because Clannad is full of so much win. I already had ef at 10/10, but after seeing this, I almost want to lower Clannad to 9/10... :O Even though I think in the end, Clannad will be better than air and kanon (unless the fuko arc never dies :P)

Poor chihiro. How can she really stay in love with him. All she can do is read about her love.. so it makes sense it's become their book.

the first thing i thought of when i saw the cell phone calling was Kotonoha from school days. part of me was dieing just like when i watched that mental scaring school days series
Jun 1, 2010 9:49 AM

Nov 2008
This episode made me think of School Days. I don't see how they can rebuild their relationship.
Jul 8, 2010 5:58 PM

Jul 2008
Poor Miyako. This episode made me dislike Kei even more.
Jul 13, 2010 12:14 AM

Mar 2010
all i have to say is keep all sharp objects out of miyako's reach.....miyako's phone calls were kind of creepy, i felt sorry for her at first but then i felt like she took it a little too far lol.
Jul 23, 2010 11:39 PM

Apr 2009
I'm shaking right now. this episode holds a powerful message of loving someone, but not knowing if they show the same affection. The phonecall, to me; was one of the most disturbing scenes I've seen in an anime so far, along with the perspective of Renji to Chihiro's "request" to kiss her. But with the scenes being the most disturbing I've seen, I can truly say that this anime is starting to become something of a masterpiece to me. I can see some scenes in this anime relating to the infamous: "School Days" and the beloved "Clannad". I'm definitely going to enjoy this emotional rollercoaster of Ef.
sunshineeJul 23, 2010 11:51 PM
Jul 26, 2010 6:20 PM

Oct 2009
I can see this turning into a yandere anime <3
Aug 26, 2010 5:58 AM

Dec 2009
In my "TOP-5 episodes ever".

I don't really care about Renji x Chihiro, but Miyako's calling was more than awesome.
Sep 3, 2010 8:55 AM
Jul 2018
MM805 said:
I only have two words to say...

Holy, shit. O_O

Seconding, this was............
Sep 21, 2010 11:10 PM

Jan 2010
MM805 said:
I only have two words to say...

Holy, shit. O_O

I didn't even manage that--this was all I had to say:

O_O
Sep 24, 2010 3:06 PM
Jan 2008
I don't understand why are people bashing this episode. To me, both Miyako and Kei seem an realistic character. Miyako coming from a background of her parents breaking up and leaving her all alone. As a result, she become insecure and extremely lonely, which led to 99 messages because Kei said she would erase her. Imagine if you were in that situation, wouldn't you feel the same way? Sure 99 messages is excessive. It's main purpose is to escalate the situation. Her background came up a little to fast but realizing this is a 12 episode anime. I think this is where most people forgot about. This isn't the usual 50+ or even 26 episode.The show has several characters and three main stories about three different style artists that don't have enough time to create fully detail character background. Considering this and the visually complex work, ef - a tale memories has to be the best drama and romance for shaft and prolly best ive seen. Oh and I forgot, Kei is reasonable character filled with jealousy, which we saw before between her sister and ended up with her sister's accident. Jealousy is a powerful emotion especially with girls with raging hormones.
batman3456Sep 24, 2010 3:17 PM
Sep 26, 2010 9:40 AM

Apr 2009
Aleluia, that b*tch was REALLY becoming annoying...so much win in the texts, she just got what she deserves. 4/5
Oct 15, 2010 9:53 AM

Jan 2010
did I just watch 5 minutes of a white board being colored in black by japanese letters?O.o

but seriously,what a psycho...and the same for this episode...wtf,though it was saved by the amazing psycho music =)

i don't know what to say...boat ending perhaps?:D

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Oct 15, 2010 9:54 AM

Jan 2010
selective_yellow said:
I think everyone said pretty much what I would have to say...

Just, 2 things.

AngelLily
Yes, kyoani definitely cannot beat out Ef, which is a shame. Because Clannad is full of so much win. I already had ef at 10/10, but after seeing this, I almost want to lower Clannad to 9/10... :O Even though I think in the end, Clannad will be better than air and kanon (unless the fuko arc never dies :P)

are you insane...how can this episode beat ANY episode from clannad :p
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Oct 24, 2010 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
the ending phone calls were a culmination of all the feelings she invested in kei. all those terrible memories from her parents breaking up

heart breaking to listen to it all :(
Nov 8, 2010 3:49 PM

Jul 2010
Wow, what a loaded episode...

Renji realizes that the girl in the novel is actually Chihiro, and while he proposes some sort of happy ending, she seems to want to write a tragedy. They really become more distanced as she continues to write more and more. And the beach scene. Holy hell. Well done...

Then, Miyako absolutely stole the last third of the episode. That call has got to be one of the most gripping moments ever in anime. Loved how as the writing on the screen got more and more jumbled, Miyako just completely and utterly broke down. And Kei's action at the end really was despicable.

I REALLY hope that everything can end without a bloodfest >.<
Dec 1, 2010 4:59 AM

Dec 2009
Chihiro scares me sometimes with all that thoughts >_>//
& damn, how can Kei be that sellfish? First was her sister, now Miya, i don't like her at all. T_T I know, Hiro is her childhood friend, but still. Is not like he belongs to her.
But WTF, so many messages, i wanted to count them to see if they showed all the 99 messages, but i got tired of listening to that girl talking o3o
LiinahDec 1, 2010 5:14 AM
Dec 10, 2010 10:11 PM

Dec 2009
Up until this episode I've been siding with Kei, I always believed Miyako needed to back off but this episode changed *all* of that for me.
First of all the scene with Miyako's messages was done brilliantly and I must admit the tone changes in her voice really got to me emotionally. And then at the end when Kei just erases ALL 99 messages without missing a heart beat, and how she does it so selfishly?! That just...made me so fed up with Kei.
I'm more on Miyako's side now. Hirono can do better than a heartless girl such as Kei.Plus, Miyako sounded completely honest, and truly heartbroken. Hirono seems to have really helped pull her out of a bad situation, for the better.
Jan 25, 2011 7:24 PM

Aug 2010
cyruz said:

I love this.

It was worth waiting for this episode. Loved Miyako's calls, and seeing the episode end with Kei deleting all those messages made me want to see more. I enjoyed the first half with Renji and Chihiro as well. For a minute I thought the girl in their story was Miyako.

Im getting school days vibes oooo chills down my spine. She put her face in the fire, thats pretty funny. Renji is half German? The hell? 99 messages thats a bit obsessive.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

radiantfire - Dec 22, 2007

332 by salarx »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:59 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

dancu - Dec 12, 2007

196 by AaronPvP »»
Aug 19, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

radiantfire - Dec 17, 2007

195 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:08 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Dec 4, 2007

185 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.