Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
May 23, 2018 4:14 PM

Feb 2017
Wow this was an intense episode. Well done Shaft
Aug 31, 2018 10:11 AM

Feb 2018
This ep was amazingly directed, I loved it. Even felt bad for Miyako, a char I didn't even care about until now. Kei is still best girl, even if deleting the messages was a horrible act.
Mar 13, 2019 4:08 AM

May 2016
For real first half was intense but the next half was just insanely good, I was voting for Kei but after that I can't forgive her for doing that, my heart is broken into little shards after that delete button, and the fact that no one knows that except Kei and viewers ;-;
Jul 6, 2019 5:34 AM

Jan 2016
Best episode so far. Both of the two arcs had a major shake-up. Renji's breakdown was something to be expected as he got close to Chihiro, that even though her memory loss is the cause he refuses to say Chihiro is at fault. Superb visuals, with the TV static into when she said the same things before and the darkening of the background as she continued talking.

But the second half? Wow. With minimalist visuals and pastel colours, I love the visualisation that she feels seperate from the world she inhabits, the realisation as to why Hirono was always in Black and White from her perspective and gradually gained colour. The messages she left on the phone, though, I have no words to describe that entire scene. And then- Kei deletes the messages as if it was nothing...

I see a lot of hate on Kei and Hirono for how they've acted, but there's no way they would've known that their actions would have led to hugely disasterous consequences. From Kei's perspective, Miyako is just a bad influence on Hirono's attendance. She doesn't know the trauma Miyako went through. From Hirono's perspective, he's had an issue with connecting with others since childhood, so when he stood her down, he didn't realise the imporance he had on Miyako's life. He doesn't know the trauma Hirono went through.

I didn't quite expect to write a few paragraphs on just this episode but damn, this episode alone raised the anime up to a 9/10 for me.
Jul 25, 2019 7:12 PM

Jul 2016
Kei, you piece of shit
All you can hope for in your worldview is consistency
Sep 8, 2019 12:39 PM

Sep 2016
the chihoro and renji segment was retarded and i'm surprised to say i like the other romance plot more than chihoro and renji's. miyako's phone call to hirono was obviously great but the melodrama for this episode when it came to renji was almost laughable
Sep 28, 2019 9:18 PM

Feb 2014
Well, shit got real with the phone call segment, was not expecting anything like that.
Nov 3, 2019 8:14 AM

May 2019
In other words, Hirono is between 2 emotional instable and possessive girls.

Miyako reaction was very disturbed for any person, who, in a situation like this, simply would try to contact the person by other way, or going to see him at his home to know if something bad happened.

----

Renji was very imature and he revealed that even after the long time he and Chihiro are togheter, he still had not understand that for her, he ALWAYS will be a stranger she just was presented in the same day.

That is why she is unable the devenlop honest deep feelings for him, just in 1 day.

Rob7Nov 3, 2019 9:00 AM
Nov 13, 2019 5:43 PM

Feb 2018
At this point in the series, this has been by far the best episode 5/5
Jan 5, 2020 3:01 PM

Sep 2017
Wow, this episode was chilling. Shaft was killing it even back in 2007 huh.
Mar 28, 2020 2:16 AM

Aug 2017
What the hell, how did this take such a sudden, dark and disturbing turn

Hirono is an asshole flaking like that. Miyamura should kill his ass like school days

Renji is a wimp, i want him to die too now
May 4, 2020 3:31 AM

Jun 2017
seeing people shit on kei is interesting

that ending sequence though, wow, really well done. right when think it just might be over, another line...another line...another line...

ia cycle of optimism, anger, a cry of help, selfless concern, and self-blame
Nov 18, 2020 12:38 PM

Nov 2018
The phone call scene physically hurt to watch. Emotional shit.
Dec 14, 2020 9:43 AM

Aug 2018
Definitely one of the more out there episodes. Loved the directing of this one.
_______I like rocks__
Dec 18, 2020 3:13 PM

Feb 2020
Ow. That was hard to watch. That was very, very hard to watch. I could feel Miyako's panic, so strongly... It's been a while since a show managed to make me feel such a feeling of anxiety. I don't even know what to say actually, it felt so real, so close to home, I'm legit shaking right now.
Welp, I don't think I'll be able to sleep either now.
May 6, 2021 6:07 AM

Nov 2018
OH MY GOD , THIS WAS SO POWERFUL AND UNCOMFORTABLE
I hate everyone equally
Jul 9, 2021 7:22 AM

Mar 2016
the phone call was really stressful to listen, damn...
Oct 27, 2021 2:19 AM
Mar 2020
Omg that was some intense stuff .. kei being a bitc* ,really good episode.. Lookin forward for the next one..
Jan 1, 2022 3:09 PM

Jan 2010
That was a fantastic episode. Normally we've have a straight-faced showing of people being driven into madness with little to no subtlety, but ef, with great assistance from being a Shaft anime, manages to portray normalized civility breaking slowly by internal corruption through stark, brutal, and creative visuals. My favorite moment was Miyako's phone calls, where we're unable to see her face, but we can only see her figure slowly disappear into the white background, get covered up by black text, then get completely wiped away by the black screen transition. We can only hear her cute one-sided bantering turn into confusion, anger, depression, and finally full on desperation.

I was unsure of what to expect from ef going in, but rather than being just about multiple intertwined lives experiencing friction with one another, it's also about internalized and externalized struggles trying to cope with one's identities and purpose in life, primarily through their memories. Some of the characters have painful memories, some are struggling to create memories, and we even have Chihiro who has no memories to speak of. The theme runs deep, and while I've seen hints of it being built up the past few episodes, I think the previous episodes were somewhat bogged down by introductions and establishing character relationships. If anything, I think this episode is where the anime truly began pushing the limits of its cast.

Okay, now I'm paying attention.
Sep 3, 2022 3:02 PM

May 2018
ok I completely changed my mind about Kei. What a bitch but I should have expected that :(

I never expected Miyano to be this clingy though
Sep 16, 2022 2:27 PM

Jan 2013
Well fck, that was disturbing, for both stories.
But the phone call segment especially, super intense, definitely seeing the Shaft signature in this episode, fantastic directing.

Feels like we're heading into "Doki Doki Lterature Club" vibe.
PrOxAntoSep 16, 2022 2:34 PM
Oct 25, 2022 3:48 PM

Apr 2022
The episode ends in a really dramatic way! Shaft always hit with their animation! Love it!
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Nov 11, 2022 2:47 PM

Aug 2011
it's funny to see old posts talking about this vs clannad, before people knew what after story would end up doing to the anime world.
Nov 21, 2022 3:08 AM

Jul 2022
Aaaamm... Perfect episode, there is no mistake no matter how much I see it, I don't know how I thought of dropping the anime at the beginning.
Renji's situation, how he is insecure about taking a step with Chihiro, since as the days go by he realizes how hard it would be to be with her if he keeps getting closer and thinking about what she wants to represent the characters in his novel regarding what the priest told him once

And the great interpretation of Miyako's Seiyuu, combined with the soundtrack set in each situation of the chapter, which only required a blank screen writing the dialogue over and over again until everything was overwritten and it was impossible to read.

I am not a person who knows how to make opinions, since I never write everything I want to say or imply something different, but surely there is a very well structured opinion somewhere. But let it be clear, that this episode seemed perfect, incredible.

I know that for some it is difficult to hate Kei for what happened to his sister when they were children, since they were only children. But not now, so now I can justify myself for her attitude towards Miyako
Dec 2, 2022 1:53 AM

Oct 2021
HOLY SHIT!!! that phone call scene was INSANE!! Getting some serious yandere vibe there.....
Mar 2, 2023 10:56 AM

Oct 2018
Rinatsu said:
Strangely enough, I found myself comparing ef to the later episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion (and The End of Evangelion).

As for what I think of the ef series so far/this episode: Wow.

Wow, i think so too. I always compare this to Evangelion in the beginning of the series
May 4, 2023 6:05 PM

Jul 2016
Looks like Renji finally realized what it means to be together with someone with Chihiro's illness.

The Miyako phone call scene got progressively more uneasy was something else. I know Kei's had it rough lately but that move was cold af.
May 20, 2023 3:39 PM
Jan 2016
I dont know how many times I have watched the ending of this episode. Its been years since I first saw it. I use this for acting whenever I need to cry.
I dont know why, but it triggers something in me, that gets me more emotional then anything ever could.
May 28, 2023 12:54 AM
Jul 2018
The Renji breakdown and delete message scenes were fucking awesome. I urge to know who is responsible for that breakdown scene, it's really something. The music was also really good, especially the scene where Miyako's voicemails layered over each other. Perfectly simple.
Feb 3, 4:46 PM

Jul 2019
Dammit dude, this episode was so real. I have no words.

5/5
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

radiantfire - Dec 22, 2007

332 by salarx »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:59 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

dancu - Dec 12, 2007

196 by AaronPvP »»
Aug 19, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

radiantfire - Dec 17, 2007

195 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:08 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Dec 4, 2007

185 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.