Forum Settings
Forums
Persona 3
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 11, 2014 2:55 PM

Apr 2014
Could have been worse but it really could have been better. 7.5/10

Its greatest strength and weakness was focusing on Yuuki. They needed to establish his personality and jackassery apathy -- good -- but it seemed like half the time other characters would talk about him more than themselves. As if they were only tools to his character development.

Akihiko: A+ (as per usual)
And Fuuka's screwed-up friendship with Ganguro-chan (her name escapes me) was even sweeter than in the game. ♥

In conclusion: 'Whatever.' ((//ー ̄ )) ♪
Jul 27, 2014 5:34 PM

Jan 2010
Good adaptation and certainly better than P4's anime as far as pacing is concerned. However, I gotta say those were some incredibly uninspired fights. Like, really really boring. Strong enemy? Spam magic everywhere, that'll take care of it! At least they abused weaknesses in the last fight but it was still underwhelming as fuck for a "climax". It was literally like watching an animated turn-based battle. Take some creative liberties with the action sequences, you don't have to be THAT faithful to the source.

Also, Makoto (I'm still not used to this name) had what, 5 lines in the entire movie? Yuu was never that expressive in his adaptation either, but Makoto took the "silent protagonist" shtick to a whole new level. lol

I still believe Persona in general functions a lot better as a game because that's what it is intended to be, but for an animation this was good enough. 7/10.
Aug 3, 2014 2:54 AM

Feb 2010
I really liked how they adapted it from the game the pacing was alright, the Animation and Soundtrack were really good but the fights were somewhat lacking though.

Aegis at the end :D
Aug 22, 2014 6:42 PM

May 2013
Honestly I found this to be pretty good. Makoto actually has character to him compared to Narukami being a blank slate. It actually make me kinda think even lower of the average P4A. But all in all it's a video game adaptation and I wasn't expecting much to begin with.
Nov 18, 2014 8:10 AM

Apr 2014
BTTFDeacon said:
Honestly I found this to be pretty good. Makoto actually has character to him compared to Narukami being a blank slate. It actually make me kinda think even lower of the average P4A. But all in all it's a video game adaptation and I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

Narukami wasn't a blank state.

He's an average guy with a lot of swag and a weird sense of humor.

Nov 18, 2014 8:12 AM

Apr 2014
AironicallyHuman said:
I found it boring. Didn't like how they turned a silent JRPG lead into an uncaring, unfeeling suicidal psycho. And the lack of social links / downtime left the entire cast bland. Removing small things like the "DON'T... LOOK... UP!" part removed what made the cast likable in the game. Seeing the calender fly through months just served to highlight that it was rushed. The battles were lame, as well. Especially the last one, along with the Fuuka bullying yawndom--it seemed to go on FOREVER. Was just glad when it was over.

I liked that the game's soundtrack was re-used. That was a nostalgic plus. But movies will do no justice to such a lengthy JRPG. At least P4's anime had the time to try to cover the social links and not just jump from point to point.

Also: Miniskirt-chan's facial art and, to a lesser extent, Mitsuru's bugged me. Have heard people describe similar issues when watching the P4 anime but, I don't know... they just looked OFF.

He wasn't a psycho.

He just has a hard time caring for people/things.

Jan 1, 2015 11:26 AM

Apr 2011
Finally, an anime for Persona 3. A bit disappointed it was a movie instead of a tv series but that's okay...nah. It was great! I was happy that they announce an anime, when Persona Trinity Soul came out, I was disappointed. I thought I would never see an anime adaptation of the game.

Its great to know, that they still came out and make a movie of this. It followed the game storyline closer than I expected. All the characters are good. Makoto, maybe a silent MC like in the game, but he isn't boring. He was uncaring at first but at the end, he starts to care for his comrades. Battles are good, and the soundtrack takes me back when I first played the game. It feels good and nostalgic. I'm a bit disappointed it didn't cover much about the social links. I'm afraid they'll also skip the 'Hermit' social link which is my favorite.

Well, I'm looking forward to the 2nd part.

And I'm gonna play P3 and P4 again when I have time.
MagitoJan 2, 2015 12:32 AM
Jan 1, 2015 11:44 AM

Apr 2014
Very well done.
Makoto's backstory is utilized and explored well in the anime.
Just imagine the feels we will get in the last movie ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm so ready to cry.

Then the characters are actually well implemented as well to its anime counter part.

Jan 2, 2015 12:12 PM

Dec 2014
one word ... Amazing! This is how an adaptation of a great game should be like . Hope they can keep up the same performance in the sequels .
There’s no hope on the battlefield.
It has nothing but unspeakable despair.
Just a crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated.
Yet humanity has never recognized this truth.
And the reason for that is, in every era,
a dazzling hero has blinded people with their legends and prevented them from seeing the evil of bloodshed.
The true nature of humanity has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age!
Jan 11, 2015 5:49 PM

Jan 2013
After playing Persona Q for a a couple dozen hours, thought it was about time to actually dive into the P3 lore, disregarding the fact that I'm pretty familiar with it having read the manga. All in all it was pretty darn great, better than P4's anime imo. That's saying a lot too since this is a movie and achieved considerable more than P4 did in its 25 episode run, so just imagine what they could have done with a P3 anime. Persona 3's dark atmosphere and gritty environments, contrasting the fluffy feel of that of the morning at the same school is exciting for me to say the least, especially after seeing how light-hearted Persona 4 was most of the time .

The lack of character development, instead replaced with cuts of things the characters do in between that month period, is excusable since it does lack the appropriate time to present those accordingly. In addition, I have to say that the fight scenes were pretty freaking awesome, especially since they stay true to the rpg style of things and one individual isn't too over powered
Feb 26, 2015 7:06 AM

Nov 2013
Pretty good and accurate adaptation but they'll need to release like 6 more movies if they'll want to keep adapting it the same way and at same pace. So I feel like a rush job is coming if only 2 movies are left.
Mar 3, 2015 11:29 AM
Aug 2014
So I was just wondering... I've played the game like three times, but who was the jumper in the beginning? Well, no, better question would be why he was relevant? Is he supposed to be one of The Lost? Or am I missing something?
shinigami_meruMay 19, 2017 2:12 AM
Mar 11, 2015 12:31 PM

Oct 2007
AironicallyHuman said:
I found it boring. Didn't like how they turned a silent JRPG lead into an uncaring, unfeeling suicidal psycho. And the lack of social links / downtime left the entire cast bland. Removing small things like the "DON'T... LOOK... UP!" part removed what made the cast likable in the game. Seeing the calender fly through months just served to highlight that it was rushed. The battles were lame, as well. Especially the last one, along with the Fuuka bullying yawndom--it seemed to go on FOREVER. Was just glad when it was over.

I liked that the game's soundtrack was re-used. That was a nostalgic plus. But movies will do no justice to such a lengthy JRPG. At least P4's anime had the time to try to cover the social links and not just jump from point to point.

Also: Miniskirt-chan's facial art and, to a lesser extent, Mitsuru's bugged me. Have heard people describe similar issues when watching the P4 anime but, I don't know... they just looked OFF.

Possibly the only sensible post in this thread. I love Persona but I don't know how it's possible to look at this movie and call the animation up to movie quality standards let alone one of the most beautiful looking things ever? Are people just comparing it to the QUALITY filled Persona 4 animes or something? Also A-1 Pictures choices for personality for the MC....why am I not even even surprised, they love that bland kind of mean spirited MC to death lately. Honestly not at all what I envisioned for the MC but considering they kind of fucking up Yu Narukami too by trying to turn him into one of their perfect edgy douchebags I'm kind of not surprised.

Other parts were okay and they hit up most of the important plot points but honestly still not good enough and I'm just kind of reminded of how I'd rather be playing the game. Pure 6/10 mediocre stuff but still the best of the Persona adaptations to date....not that it means much cause the bar is low.
PeacingOutMar 11, 2015 12:38 PM
Apr 25, 2015 8:18 PM

Mar 2014
Not bad. Pretty enjoyable watch. Now on to movie 2.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Aug 7, 2015 10:28 AM

Jan 2009
Unsatisfied with fabulous protag's name. Arisato Minato ftw.
Sep 4, 2015 10:37 AM

Jul 2014
The story's pretty interesting, though the fights really lacked dynamics.
Oct 13, 2016 10:02 PM

Jul 2016
I liked the movie but still feel so much potential was wasted.

I really loved the P4 Animation as it is and the duo of chapters about the Social Links (old lady, nurse, stepmother and student) were one of my favorite things of that. And I haven't played Persona4.

So I came here already being in August of P3P and it hurt me that there was not even a mention of the Social Links. I think that a montage between date skips and a mention of Igor and Elizabeth would be good enough. The classmate, treasurer and manager are cool social links at the begginngs and I didn't see any mention here.

Still I loved this Protaagonist, kinda dissconectd with the world and with good reasons. Summer is going to be cool! I am waiting for that bath scene hahahaha
Nov 28, 2016 11:16 PM

Mar 2012
I loved the irony of Takeba telling Yuuki not to go because he does things without regard to his own life, considering that without Yuuki's interference, she almost got herself and everyone else killed without knowing it.

Never played the games, but I've tried to watch Persona in the past, attempted trinity, only got 3 eps in, attempted P4 and only got 4 eps in and on hold for 3 months now. But...Im surprisingly enjoying P3 quite a lot, I feel like this is done pretty damn well in comparison to the others.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Apr 16, 2017 6:37 PM

Sep 2011
So nostalgic. Maybe I'm a bit biased, since Persona it's my favourite franchise, but I loved the Movie, really well adapted. And the soundtrack was soo good, I really liked to see the game's song being used.

But the protagonist personality was a little strange, he was too much anti-social.
Aug 18, 2017 3:40 PM

Jan 2015
Well, that's what I'd call sticking too close to the source material .Lots of game mechanics and references were a bit forced and jarring. Still enjoyable to watch though.
Oct 13, 2017 4:39 AM

Oct 2015
This was very good and the sequel seems like will be interesting. I still need to see more of Yuuki's
persona powers. 8/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 2, 2018 8:29 AM

Nov 2014
Battles aren't the best part, but the story is retold well imo.

Mar 22, 2018 4:44 AM

Mar 2015
Wow it's been so long since I played the game! I remember the characters and the Shadows, and when certain scenes were on, they brought memories back too!

9/10, onto movie 2!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 18, 2018 10:19 AM
Jan 2014
I think it followed the game too closely. Movies and Turn-Based JRPGs are obviously very different things, and what works in one might not work well in the other. The action scenes in particular felt really slow and silly how people would just stand there doing nothing because that's what happens in turn based JRPGs I guess. Visuals were nice though, and the soundtrack was nostalgic.
Apr 25, 2018 10:55 PM

Jan 2017
"Impressive. You chained your nose to your face so you wouldn't lose it."

^^^lmfao I literally died at this point.

Oct 25, 2018 11:40 PM

Jan 2010
Experiencing Persona 3 without the FeMC is going to be weird. I played the Portable version of the game, where the FeMC was a bubbly, tomboyish, gluttonous, slightly sarcastic, mostly dependable big sis character (and I totally hard shipped her with Shinji). Going into the films with the Male MC, I'm immediately taken back by how nonchalant he is, walking through the streets full of death, screaming, blood and coffins underneath a discolored sky. I knew he was a stark contrast from the FeMC, but I've never seen how stark that difference was.

I'm not too keen on using game assets and visuals in the anime, as they come off as a bit cheeky at times. They're fine maybe once or twice for the fan service, and I truly like the soundtrack, but stuff like the change in days was weird to see. I had similar qualms with the anime version of Danganronpa and the Phoenix Wright anime, the former of which Seiji Kishi also directed. If I wanted to see the game-like quirks in play, I would have replayed the game itself. I'm much more interested in seeing how the game mechanics are adapted into the anime, rather than having it straight copy/pasted.

Also, the film totally had a flashback sequence against the Emperor/Empress bosses. Damn.
Dec 17, 2018 10:23 PM

Jun 2012
Coming from someone who has never played a persona game, I liked it. Protagonist was pretty boring but I guess that was going to be a given.
Jan 8, 2019 11:50 AM

Apr 2018
Started pretty good then became meh

Everything but the first 25 minutes or so felt like i was watching some random anime ep and not a movie
5-6/10
AkerakaiJan 8, 2019 11:54 AM
Feb 13, 2019 1:33 AM

May 2016
Having only played Persona 5 and the possibility of playing both 3 and 4 being pretty much nonexistent for now because of my PS2 missing stuff and me not knowing how to emulate games even if it'll save my life, this movie was the only lead I have towards getting familiar with Persona 3 and I came to the realization that I would definitely enjoy it a hundred times more if I start playing the game instead right after watching it. A game movie adaptation can only do so much after all~

The character and Persona designs looked really good and movie's art in general is great but there was too little background context provided for many of the plot elements which could've been easily put into detail if it was the game. As much as I like seeing Igor in the Velvet Room with its iconic theme playing, it would've been iffy as well if he appeared to explain every single thing as it popped up more than he already did. I wish SEES talked about this a little more. I absolutely love the combat gameplay of the Persona series but I'm not really into it when I watched it in animation because it was a little repetitive I guess. I really want to play it now ;-;

Of course, I liked the characters, especially pure little Fuuka~ This movie's okay but it's just the first in four so I'm definitely looking forward to it being a lot better as the plot picks up later on

Jul 28, 2020 10:07 AM

Jul 2015
Never played any of the Persona games but this was a pretty good movie. Already like Makoto because of his don't give a shit attitude and the way his persona is strong but not overpowering strong. 'Hotshot' Junpei is quite the idiot for initially thinking this was all a game lol. Those last two enemies were pretty OP if not for Fuuka's detection skills.

Dec 13, 2020 11:58 PM

Jan 2017
How did makoto already summon thanatos in his 1st battle? That was quite the asspull xD. it's also pretty strange how he never used him again and he probably won't until they reach The final boss.
dusty22Dec 18, 2020 1:58 PM
Jan 23, 2023 2:31 AM

Mar 2021
everything's good but the last battle was boring, sure it matches with the game but

and i guess i'll see the mc's character development more since it was mostly self-insert in the game and it's nice :)
Oct 26, 2023 1:36 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Nice! That's some positive P3 adaptation, I think the game aspect works well in anime format with how the Tartarus is, and regarding the animation they did a good job while also keeping the (incredible) OST from the game, good! can't wait to see the remaining movies
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » YOUR ideal MC pairing

SophiafrmAustria - Oct 23, 2013

23 by inebriated »»
Feb 27, 2:06 AM

» Would someone who hasn't played P3 like these?

PyonPyonPierrot - Aug 21, 2020

7 by ishowhatred »»
Feb 10, 2022 12:05 AM

» Should this be watched first in Persona genre?

Tarable - Apr 14, 2018

2 by removed-user »»
Apr 14, 2019 11:53 AM

» Little Help Please

AccountDeleted12 - Oct 15, 2015

3 by ExplodingGirl »»
Apr 10, 2017 12:22 AM

» Persona anime order to watch

luisdwt - Mar 5, 2017

3 by Brandon »»
Mar 6, 2017 3:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.