Forum Settings
Forums
Persona 3
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 30, 2014 10:09 PM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is a great movie adaptation! Even though I played the game , by knowing the real story I still enjoy the movie , it has amazing arts and of course the bgm as well.

I hope the sequel turns out to be much more amazing ,
(I;m happy to know the sequel will be aired this year)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2014 3:50 PM

May 2013
Sebastian333 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
This is a great movie adaptation! Even though I played the game , by knowing the real story I still enjoy the movie , it has amazing arts and of course the bgm as well.

Just wondering where did you watch the movie? Because i'd really like to have dome idea when subs comes out.
Apr 13, 2014 9:33 AM

Feb 2011
tslayer102 said:
Sebastian333 said:

Just wondering where did you watch the movie? Because i'd really like to have dome idea when subs comes out.

The movie will be released on DVD/Bluray in Japan on May 14, 2014, and May 20 for an Aniplex(US) release.
【=◈︿◈=】セックス大好き... What can I say? 【=◈︿◈=】
Apr 16, 2014 9:34 AM

May 2013
KoyoNEET said:
tslayer102 said:
Sebastian333 said:

The movie will be released on DVD/Bluray in Japan on May 14, 2014, and May 20 for an Aniplex(US) release.

Ah thanks for that! :)
May 6, 2014 10:02 AM

Nov 2007
The use off gun to get persona out, huh.

And that assistant of that old guy is different. Sawashiro-san instead Oohara-san... lol Toriumi-san's character is such a show off.

Main characters from 3 and 4 are so lucky for being able to control multiple personas, and they are emotionless. Hat little guy called Phallus, whose voice is also Ishida-san, is he another one of main guy's persona?

Shadows appearing at full moon are strong. I cannot wait for the sequel.
tsubasaloverMay 6, 2014 10:34 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 6, 2014 6:19 PM
Feb 2013
Just watched it. So awesome. They made a good decision adapting this in movie format, it works a whole lot better. The fights are epic. they actually use their weapons!! Unlike the P4 anime where they introduce the idea but they never once use them. The best thing about the movie though IMO is Makoto's development as a character. Prefer him to Yuu actually.
May 6, 2014 11:45 PM

Mar 2013
Felt good to hear the protag's "doudemoii" again.
And I actually like Fuuka more now because of the movie whatthehell
May 9, 2014 9:38 PM
Jul 2010
Oh boy, I really love this adaptation! It melts the Social Links nicely as an introduction, and the pace of the story is really nice too! It's not too fast, but it's not too slow either! I'm really waiting for the next movie now!

And when Makoto smiled at the end is just.... HNGGGGG!!!
May 10, 2014 10:06 PM

Jul 2012
tsubasalover said:
Hat little guy called Phallus

Not going to lie, I had to pause the video just to laugh at that =P

the highlight for me was at the very end though
me: aw what? no Aigis? fail--OMG IT'S AIGIS!!!!!! XD
May 11, 2014 11:03 AM

May 2012
*fapfapfapfapfap* *AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*
It was pretty decent... Looks fucking beautiful too.
May 13, 2014 12:37 AM
Mar 2014
I Heart It.
May 13, 2014 9:41 AM

May 2012
I watched it raw and thanks to having played the game I understood nearly everything.
And I agree that it's a good adaption. For being only the first part and also only the beginning of this amazing story, I really hope for the sequels to keep up the tension and quality :)
I liked how the mainly (if not, only) used the game BGMs, it gave me a nostalgic feeling AND I just loved how they used the same way to show the time line >w<
Next up is Aegis :D I hope her entrance will be just as funny as in the game (if I remember correctly XD).

That's it for me ^^
beep
May 13, 2014 5:25 PM
Feb 2013
Ziafung said:
I watched it raw and thanks to having played the game I understood nearly everything.
And I agree that it's a good adaption. For being only the first part and also only the beginning of this amazing story, I really hope for the sequels to keep up the tension and quality :)
I liked how the mainly (if not, only) used the game BGMs, it gave me a nostalgic feeling AND I just loved how they used the same way to show the time line >w<
Next up is Aegis :D I hope her entrance will be just as funny as in the game (if I remember correctly XD).

That's it for me ^^

That's the brilliant thing about this movie. It's only the prologue. We haven't even got to the main issue yet and it's this impressive. The pacing makes me wonder how many movies we'll end up getting though. I reckon 4, if you played the game you can probably guess what each one will about. Maybe 5 if they decide to animate the FES incident.
May 15, 2014 5:46 PM

Oct 2013
My Life Completed #1.

One thing I noticed is that this movie titled 'Spring of Birth' yet around half of the movie they started wearing the summer uniform, kind of out of place if you ask me. Then again almost first half of the game (specifically the Journey) the story is kind of slow, so I could understand they want to go over to the main plot and twists quickly.

Social Links still not enough introduced (how the hell can you survive 3 months with only 3 Social Links Arcana!? And somehow MC CAN summon Sarasvati [level 27] when last time he just summoned Jack Frost [level 8]). Gaming mechanics rants aside, I love the conversation when after Mitsuru's speech Yukari mentions does Mitsuru even has any weakness and Makoto said maybe she is weak to fire. XD

I felt satisfied nonetheless. I guess next time I watch the second movie will be after I finished P4GA. I'll rewatch this again when english subs comes out with better quality than what I got right now.
May 16, 2014 12:10 AM
Jul 2013
I thought that Makoto's seiyuu was Murasakibara's seiyuu in Kuroko Basket.. They kinda sounds similar.
May 16, 2014 5:31 PM

Apr 2014
Really goo' first movie.
Lookin' forward to the rest.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

May 19, 2014 12:50 AM

Sep 2011
Thread Cleaned
Please don't ask where to get sub or saying for the subs to hurry out. This is about the movie, not the subs.
TyrelMay 19, 2014 11:03 AM
May 20, 2014 12:14 PM

Oct 2011
The pacing is really good. How I missed this OST. Also, the battle scenes are not bad. Loving everything about it!
May 21, 2014 1:54 AM

Apr 2013
My jawdrop the whole movie *my avatar*. That Persona 4 series? That's like crap now compare to this.
May 21, 2014 2:16 AM
Jul 2010
Am I the only one who was bored as hell for the entire 99 minutes of this movie?
I've tried to watch P4 - it was shit. Trinity Soul was boring too, so I dropped it after 2 episodes.
And now this... the animation was great but everything else was just horrible.
I kept watching, hoping that something interesting, like... actual plot, will come up. It didn't.
Lesson of the day: Don't let your story setting be your story's plot. It kills brain cells.
May 21, 2014 4:49 AM

Oct 2009
waterflame said:
Am I the only one who was bored as hell for the entire 99 minutes of this movie?
I've tried to watch P4 - it was shit. Trinity Soul was boring too, so I dropped it after 2 episodes.
And now this... the animation was great but everything else was just horrible.
I kept watching, hoping that something interesting, like... actual plot, will come up. It didn't.
Lesson of the day: Don't let your story setting be your story's plot. It kills brain cells.

If you never played a persona game, mainly 3, you'll never get the beauty of the anime.
May 21, 2014 6:14 AM

Jun 2012
Wow, that was actually really good! Visuals were amazing, fight scenes brutal yet flowed really nicely, the animation was great. Was still cliche but as it's an adaptation of the game I'll let it slide, it is what it is.

I loved the nice little touch of the side-scrolling calendar that gave easy-to-understand time skips throughout the movie.

Only complaint would be the music, which was really off-putting, but that's just me. Plot wasn't the best, and I got bored a few times, chiming in when action scenes came on, but for the action alone, this was enjoyable
May 21, 2014 7:10 AM

Feb 2013
That was really amazing. Almost perfect adaption of my top favorite game period.
Never thought the Soundtrack would fit that good for an animated Movie. Junpei is still the best Bro character ever created.
The Visuals were beautiful and I'm also pretty satisfied how they handled the Social Links.
My only complain would be that Makoto Yuki (Minato Arisato) was even more unsocial than he actually was in the original game.
But I would really recommend to have already played the original game before watching this movie.
-Bakemono-May 21, 2014 7:15 AM

May 21, 2014 7:28 AM

Aug 2007
Not bad at all! Burn My Bread Dread is finally back. xD I miss the games OST so much. I'm glad they kept some of the social link people in. Also great what they did with Yuki since it would be odd if he had a reason to fight right at the beginning. Well I'm sad some things were alter but they kept the whole pace perfectly. I'm excited for whenever the next movie finally comes out!

Sent with Mal Updater
May 21, 2014 7:57 AM

Dec 2009
Is it me or is Makoto playing a New Game + already? I thought Narukami was quite OP in the P4 Anime adaptation but Makoto is even more OP.

Anyways, this looks quite beautiful. And it feels so great seeing Persona 3 animated.
May 21, 2014 7:59 AM

Apr 2012
This was top notch. Can't wait for the second movie.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
May 21, 2014 8:52 AM

Mar 2014
Absolutely loved it, a must watch [not only] for P3 players :)
May 21, 2014 8:52 AM

Sep 2011
I love to watch the protagonist(Still will not accept his new name) is like "I don't give a fuck" the whole time until the end.

May 21, 2014 11:12 AM

Apr 2010
That was a great adaptation. Really surprised at how they handled Makoto's personality, but it wasn't bad at all.

Animation could've been better for a movie, but hey, it's AIC ASTA. Can't really expect that from them.
May 21, 2014 11:46 AM

Jul 2013
I too found it kind of boring for some reason. Like it's a well made adaptation and I dig Persona 3, but something about this was kinda meh. Fights were pretty boring for one, but at least the soundtrack was well used. Characters felt a bit bland too, oh well.

Maybe I'm just biased and will give the next one a 10 for having Aigis I dunno.
May 21, 2014 12:08 PM

May 2012
So far the adaption was fine. The only thing I thought that was a little bit strange was on how they decided to make the protagonist such an anti-social person who doesn't care about anything for almost the entire movie.

True, he didn't have any Social Links yet. Thus, the portrayal of him fits with the story. However, I think they went slightly too far. He didn't have such strong anti-social vibe in the game.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the first movie of the serie!
May 21, 2014 12:18 PM

Apr 2013
This was a great adaptation to one of my absolute favorite games of all time. It's been a little while since I played the game, but it was all starting to come back to me as I was watching this first movie. While I enjoyed P4 as a game more, P3 definitely has a better and darker story which is more suited to an anime adaptation like this. And I think that from the first movie alone, the P3 movies have shown to be better than P4 the Animation. Also, how can a movie with Mitsuru not be awesome?

I do think that Yuki Makoto (the name of the MC) was a bit too anti-social to start but I guess that it leaves a lot of room for him to develop in the next movies. We were beginning to see glimpses of it in the last quarter of the movie. The visuals were top-notch and I think that the battles played out pretty well and never got too repetitive. And the music... Wow. Shōji Meguro is a based god amongst men. When I started to hear the high school and the dorm theme music, I just about lost it. All I need to hear is "Living with Determination (Iowato Dormitory Arrangement)" and my life will be f'n complete. If you haven't heard it, play the link below on repeat for the next 2 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRYSk12SZvw

I am a complete Persona homer so I may overlooked some of the flaws of the movie. Still, I'm completely pumped for the next set of movies and I'm interested if the creators will still go with the same dark ending as in the game (perhaps with FES material added in) or make an anime-original ending. I'm kind of hoping for an original ending just to experience something different but the original ending is epic itself. Anyway, I can't wait for the next movie (and Persona 5!!) to come out and get some more Mitsuru action.
dankzelMay 21, 2014 5:08 PM
May 21, 2014 12:56 PM

Oct 2011
Persona 3 memories flashing back!!! So good!!!!!!!
May 21, 2014 12:57 PM

Jul 2010
Found it weird that they made the MC an emo IDGAF personality. It kinda makes sense due to his backstory and also the relationship between him an junpei was different since Junpei hates the MC (at least in the beginning)
May 21, 2014 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
Well, how they portrayed Makoto's personality was to be expected since he is actually supposed to be like that at the start. Forget how "I don't care." dialogue options appearing at the first few months then disappearing completely? Mainly when he starts learning about "Friendship".
May 21, 2014 1:18 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
OMFG it was glorious!!! Persona 3 just kicks ass anyway, but this adaption was so great. Oh how I wish we could get a Digital Devil Saga adaption after they finish these :)!!
May 21, 2014 3:56 PM

Nov 2011
Well that escalated a bit in the beginning there...

It's been age since I've seen anything Persona related. Last time I watched Persona 4 was about two years ago. The action was okay in this movie I suppose. The OST was awesome though. As for Yuuki's Persona Orpheus, it was awesome. I'm not sure how I feel about the other Personas.

>You're making it sound like our lives are @ stake here.
No shit Sherlock.

Glad to see Moriyama being nicer though. The action and fighting with the Personas at Dark Hour was probably the highlight for me as well as the fight on railroad. 6/10. Was never really a big fan on the Persona franchise and I wasn't fond of the MC.
May 21, 2014 4:10 PM

Oct 2013
"I"ve been waiting for this!" Oh man that was amazing!. Been waiting for this adaptation for 6 years and it finally happened!

Other then a few small situation changes to help better flow the plot, this movie was super faithful to the game. So happy to finally see the P3 Protag talk. Love how little of a fuck he gives in some of these situations.

So "Personal space" is his official catchphrase now? Man some of these summoning scenes are a lot more brutal then in the game! Why is there knockback when you summon. I never got that, even in the games.

Kinda like the change of having Makoto meet Fuuka first to help develop her character, otherwise, she would have had barely any screen time other then towards the end.

Man I feel kinda screwed over not seeing Mitsuru summon Penthesilea. Was one of my favorite designs for the team personas.

Was alittle disappointed how little social links were in the movie but atleast they were sprinkled through and hinted towards (EX - When Makoto meets Fuuka for the second time, he is seen leaving the book store). I really hope we get to see the Sun Arcana social link with Akinari in the next movies. Was easily by far the best social link in the game and fits really well with the theme of Persona 3 and its plot.

Overall, this movie did not disappoint. Was alittle slow at first with some questionable pacing because they had to introduce everything, but that was the same in the game so I can't fault the movie for that. Now that most of the boring introduction is over, can't wait to see what the next couple of movies will be like and how they adapt "The End"... (Getting feels ready)

Movie by itself is easily a 9, but for me, finally after 6 year of waiting for a proper adaptation, (Screw you Trinity Souls) I can't give this thing anything but a 10. It was everything and more from what I expected and it can only get better from now on with all the introduction stuff out of the way. I know I'm super bias with this but I don't care! Love Persona 3 too much.

Now all I need is a dub to go along with this movie and I can die happy. Need my fix of Yuri Lowenthal to see how he is going to do Makoto.
KevWasHereMay 21, 2014 4:20 PM
"No one can escape time; it delivers us all to the same end."
May 21, 2014 5:42 PM

Jul 2010
A good adaption indeed ^^
I never fully grasped Makoto's personality in the game due to the options but was nice to see that he was meant to be this way.
Nice seeing the velvet room, that mysterious room! I like the music for it.
That Thanatos summoning though, I was like "I was level 64 when I made it" xD
Junpei's face when he did bad in the midterm.
Fuuka's development was done quite well. I can somewhat relate to her as I have been bullied before but then became friends with them.
The last fight, how everyone fought so Fuuka and Makoto could leave alive! But they stayed and fought together to defeat the shadows.

To see the lovable cast all moving ^^ Really happy to have seen this movie. The characters were done well, I like to say again that this is a good adaption. A pretty good place to stop too as Makoto smiled.
May 21, 2014 6:55 PM

Dec 2007
That was pretty good, looking forward to Makoto and Junpei's development in the next movie! Since Aegis and STREGA will show up!
May 21, 2014 8:39 PM

May 2009
quite faithful adaptation, surprisingly comfortable pacing, and MC's personality kinda fit with his character development
9/10 because i've been waiting too long for this
May 21, 2014 10:47 PM

Jan 2008
Pretty good. Looks like they're only going to be keeping the major plot points, and cutting the rest, hence the skipping of multiple days...as expected for a movie series.

I only wish they had kept the little scene right before the boarded the train, where

Oh well. I'm just glad to see this get animated. I wonder if they'll consider doing the same for Persona 2 as well after they're done with these Persona 3 movies, or even the first Devil Survivor.

I hope Elizabeth gets more screen time and character development throughout the later movies.

Although I wish they had kept his manga name because it sounds cooler, Makoto's name change seems to be coinciding with Persona 4's protagonist. Think about it; they're both named Yuu/Yu(ki)...You, as in the player protagonist. That's just my conjecture.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Makoto's personality in his character done well. He's normally a blank slate in the games, and explaining his silent nature by making him merely a sleepy and hungry guy in the manga to a comedic level.
But by giving him some back story; no friends due to constant transferring of schools, and flashbacks of his dead parents whenever death is mentioned...could explain why he's cold, silent, and apathetic at first, not really caring for anyone else until he finds friends to warm up to, whose hands he learns to trusts and put his life in.

Was also super excited to see Aigis in the post credits.

Edit:
By looking up the name changes, I just found out there are live stage performances of both Persona 3 and 4. And they look pretty good too...the costumes at least.
Estoy_GordoMay 21, 2014 11:17 PM
May 22, 2014 12:00 AM

Aug 2013
9/10 for me but one of my favorite games, sucks will need to wait until like November for the second one as left me wanting more but will probably replay P3 now.
May 22, 2014 2:24 AM

Jan 2012
Great Movie! so good!
Made a dual monitor background! USE IT IF YOU LIKE!
http://i.imgur.com/b8Ozc0x.jpg
May 22, 2014 7:09 AM

Nov 2008
Thanks for the background, Oguri! Anyway the movie itself was very good. I'm eagerly waiting for the second one too.
May 22, 2014 8:42 AM

Aug 2013
This movie adaptation man!
It's so nostalgic especially those BGM!
Minato speaks in this movie!!
well it would be really awkward if he remain silent throughout the entire movie :P
I'm fanboying so much right now >_>
Can't wait for part 2 of the movie
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2014 9:16 AM

Jul 2010
Can't wait for the second movie, I wonder if they will do more movies, adapting the whole game.
May 22, 2014 10:48 AM

Nov 2013
First 20 minutes or so were sooo boring, but it started to pick up albeit slowly. Mostly becus of how they use their personas (P3 fan; nostalgia glasses on). Really liked the production value on this.

Good adaption overall. Looking forward to 2nd movie.
May 22, 2014 12:04 PM

May 2013
The animation looked really good in this movie. Watching this is making me want to play the game again lol. Looking forward to the second movie.
May 22, 2014 2:30 PM

Apr 2013
Decent enough adaptation thus far overall. The art/animation was great as expected from seeing the PVs.

The main problem for me though was the fact that the climactic battle in this movie alone was only like a halfway point in the game, it sort of seemed like the movie struggled to make it overly dramatic and epic as, so I felt that it fell a bit flat.

I enjoyed it, it's true to the game and it looked really good, but since the main bulk of the story is in the latter half of the game anyway, I really expect the second movie to be a lot better.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » YOUR ideal MC pairing

SophiafrmAustria - Oct 23, 2013

23 by inebriated »»
Feb 27, 2:06 AM

» Would someone who hasn't played P3 like these?

PyonPyonPierrot - Aug 21, 2020

7 by ishowhatred »»
Feb 10, 2022 12:05 AM

» Should this be watched first in Persona genre?

Tarable - Apr 14, 2018

2 by removed-user »»
Apr 14, 2019 11:53 AM

» Little Help Please

AccountDeleted12 - Oct 15, 2015

3 by ExplodingGirl »»
Apr 10, 2017 12:22 AM

» Persona anime order to watch

luisdwt - Mar 5, 2017

3 by Brandon »»
Mar 6, 2017 3:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.