Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 17, 2007 5:05 AM
Mar 2007
Searching for more information on interpretations of Gantz's Ending (the anime one, I don't read the manga), I came across this comment:
Can some please explain the ending to GANTZ for me. I consider myself a rather intelligent person who is able to discern strange endings, but I just don't get what they are doing with this ending!?

I find myself in this comment too. I don't usually have trouble understanding what's happening, even if the ending leaves almost everything to be interpreted by the viewer (NGE, without the movies, fe). But this ending's got me wondering about... well, everything.

Can someone tell me what the hell is meant by this final episode? Even if I think of an explanation that explains the ending and future, there's really nothing to go on when searching for clues for its probability. I can't see this ending making much sense, neither on a theoretical as a practical level.

Someone, enlighten me, please.

Edit: the above mentioned question was answered with:
Anyway, let me get to the point, the ending of the GANTZ anime is not canon. That was some filler cop-out ending Gonzo Studios made up.

Is that really it? Just some lame 'cop-out', written so badly even hints towards a certain ending (assuming the animators had one in mind) are non-existant?

EnnMar 17, 2007 5:09 AM
Mar 18, 2007 2:57 AM
Mar 2007
I guess noone has a clue. ;)
Mar 18, 2007 8:19 AM

Aug 2006
Well I've never seen the anime so I can't say for sure.....but most likely yes, it was just a 'cop-out' ending.

Wouldn't be the first time its happend, won't be the last.
Mar 18, 2007 10:23 AM
Mar 2007
I feel cheated.
Mar 18, 2007 11:21 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
The Gantz ending (or rather, the whole show) was just...weird. Things were really thrown around imo. I didn't read the manga so I can't say much, but I was very, very confused about this too.
Mar 19, 2007 12:35 AM

Mar 2007
Well to me the ending of gantz was just an arguement between two polar opposite beings who believed in their views so much that they were willing to kill. Forgive me but for some reason i cant remember the whole ending since the last time i saw it was in november or october of last year... damn gotta go watch it now... THANKS :P

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Mar 20, 2007 2:36 PM

Jan 2007

Explaining the ending could go on forever. People come up with weird ideas of why it ended the way it did. They even blame the cell phones taking pictures of Kei and Kato's death in episode 1 for creating the gun's lags.
Mar 26, 2007 5:55 PM

Jan 2007
The ending of the anime really was entirely made up by the Director of the animation. I think it was actually the last four that were his "artistic image" of what GANTZ was about. In my opinion, he pretty much destroyed everything that made the concept and the show kind of cool. Kei got completely character-raped -- even if he was gonna be a better person after the last storyline he wouldn't have been all knightly and crap.

Ugh, don't even get me started. Those last four episodes ruined the rest of that series for me. I am seriously repulsed at how horrible the end was in the anime.
bettynoireMar 27, 2007 8:49 AM
Mar 27, 2007 7:14 AM
Mar 2007
bettynoire said:
The ending of the anime really was entirely made up by the Director of the animation. I think it was actually the last four that were his "artistic image" of what GANTZ was about. In my opinion, he pretty much destroyed everything that made the concept and the show kind of cool. Kei got completely character-raped -- even if he was gonna be a better person after the last storyline he wouldn't have been all knightly and crap.

Ugh, don't even get me started. Those last four episodes ruined the rest of that series for me. I am seriously repulsed at horrible the end was in the anime.

I'm glad it's not just me then. I can't say I was a big Gantz fan, but I found the show at least interesting enough to watch all the episodes. In hindsight though, the ending makes me wish I didn't bother.
Jan 22, 2009 1:04 PM

Dec 2008
WOW, this anime was amazing, i didnt get the ending either, niether for Evangelion, but dont judge me
I feel the ending was kinda the fact where Kei, was willing to break all the rules Gantz was throwing at him. To this response, Gantz killed him. Also it shows that Even IF he were to get all the points, knowing abuout this whole thing, would make him liable to get secrets out that dont need to get out. so for doing Gantz bidding people people that they will get through it and go back to normal, when in all reality it was going to kill them in the end, which has a revolveing aspect to it. hence when i said rules
Jan 22, 2009 7:36 PM

Jan 2009
This was my take on the ending and the show itself

*taken from the gantz forums*

"None of you people seem to understand it. It made perfect sense, you cant just look at it so shallowly. Its a very deep and psychological show. Whether or not Kei lived is not the point. What was the point, in short, was that he proved to Gantz that humans arent all horrible beings - thus defeating eat. You could say that Gantz is a bitter nemesis that only sees evil in this universe. Kei, showing and proving in the end that thats not true for all beings, proves gantz wrong, even though he wants to be right. He doesnt want Kei to succeed, as you can tell from him trying to kill Kei with those insane guys. When the one with the bombs dies and Kei lives Gantz says "shit". As if he doesnt want to be proven wrong.

There is however a lot more depth in the show that goes overlooked. I think in these ways its similar to FLCL. When people watch it, they expect it all to be told to them at face value without having to think. So the people who dont or want to do that or simply cant grasp the complexity's of the shows say they "suck". Which is fine, since it's your opinion and you have a "right" to it. However, i disagree, Gantz does not suck, its one of the best."
Jan 23, 2009 8:12 AM

Mar 2005
*moves to gantz board*
Apr 20, 2009 1:07 AM

Apr 2009
the anime is a pile of dog excrement compared to manga.
Sep 8, 2009 9:10 PM

Apr 2009
I love gantz,,hahah,,satisfied...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2009 8:27 PM
Sep 2009
I wrote about my take on Gantz' ending and how I felt about it in the general discussion thread. As for my interpretation about it, I thought it would be quite obvious that Kei disappeared.

Logically speaking, those who were brought there were solely by Gantz's power, whatever it may be. The ending showed that Gantz disappeared from the room- the sphere was gone and everything went back to being empty and you DID NOT see Kei being transported back. So the ONLY logical conclusion one can think of is that: Kei did not 'survive' and that Gantz played him out. Even if you see it from a different perspective, i.e. 'could Kei have survived because we didn't actually see him die from the train?' we have to go back to the fact that Gantz was not there. Technically Kei is already dead in the real world, and what is left of him is, err.. a carbon copy of him, which is at the complete disposal of Gantz. Also, bear in mind Gantz wanted Kei dead and it is quite plausible that a consequence of failure to eradicate a target could lead to the elimination of all the players, which in this case was made almost true since they all killed each other with the exception of the target himself, and with Gantz' character being portrayed as a delightfully cruel, sadistic and somewhat omnipotent being with the ability to recreate and control, it would be rational to assume that this very sadistic character could have changed places and eradicated his existence near the Tokyo Towers because he was defeated at his game of human character manipulation by the ironic twist of well, human character (this is the one thing that made me most amused about), and thus deleted Kei off anyway (because he can and because he most likely would be too egoistical NOT to- all of which are human traits btw) and probably shifted off somewhere else to, well, maybe start a new human manipulation game. Or maybe he got tired of humanity and went to experiment on lemurs. Who knows, eh?
anumericalevilOct 4, 2009 8:51 PM
Dec 1, 2009 3:52 AM

Apr 2009
lol just read the manga guys -_-
he was transfered back in the room..alone..
Dec 19, 2009 6:58 PM
Dec 2009
*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

I have come down to the conclusion that he lives. Sure the ending was rather confusing... If you didn't wait till after the credits. It shows the subway and a train going by. NO ONE was in front of the train, thus me making my conclusion. There was a lot more to the ending then whether he lives or dies though, but that's not the point. Maybe Gantz was trying to find a true worthy human who was capable of surviving if he had to, who knows. Gantz is still my favorite anime, wheter Kei lives or dies.
Jan 3, 2010 5:15 AM

Apr 2009
Kei is alive -_-
and so is his friend..
read the manga
Jan 3, 2010 6:55 AM

Jan 2008
READ THE MANGA. The anime is shit, READ.THE.MANGA.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 15, 2011 6:19 PM

Mar 2011
Rail_Man said:
This was my take on the ending and the show itself

*taken from the gantz forums*

"None of you people seem to understand it. It made perfect sense, you cant just look at it so shallowly. Its a very deep and psychological show. Whether or not Kei lived is not the point. What was the point, in short, was that he proved to Gantz that humans arent all horrible beings - thus defeating eat. You could say that Gantz is a bitter nemesis that only sees evil in this universe. Kei, showing and proving in the end that thats not true for all beings, proves gantz wrong, even though he wants to be right. He doesnt want Kei to succeed, as you can tell from him trying to kill Kei with those insane guys. When the one with the bombs dies and Kei lives Gantz says "shit". As if he doesnt want to be proven wrong.

There is however a lot more depth in the show that goes overlooked. I think in these ways its similar to FLCL. When people watch it, they expect it all to be told to them at face value without having to think. So the people who dont or want to do that or simply cant grasp the complexity's of the shows say they "suck". Which is fine, since it's your opinion and you have a "right" to it. However, i disagree, Gantz does not suck, its one of the best."
OH I fucking agree with you, now i am off to read the manga!
Aug 10, 2012 10:43 PM

Jul 2008
For all those acting like the ending was rushed or made up, I point to the very first episode of the anime. The director had this planned since the very beginning. He just didn't want to tell anyone until a ways in. He also left massive hints. People in the fourth and final game of the anime are there on day one with Kei at the station, watching him try and help the drunk guy up with Kato.

The fourth game, while made up (I like to use the term original when compared to the manga), is quite honestly the best of the bunch. There are a lot of themes running around throughout the show: philosophy, psychology, sociology (good versus evil, objectivity versus relativity, nature versus nurture, the unconscious versus conscious mind, nihilism versus existential enlightenment, apathy versus empathy, isolation versus inner-connectedness) -- most of which, believe it or not, were answered in the final scene. So it's not this vague sort of ending like some are making it out to be.

Throughout the series, Gantz looks down on humanity, and during the first couple episodes we can see why. A completely nihilistic atmosphere is used to convey the characters' attitudes and emotions, with the sole exception of Kato. We are brought into their lives during their final moments.

In the beginning we can hear everyone's thoughts. This again was used to portray the nihilistic attitudes of our current generation, but in addition to that it served as the opening argument to the idea of independent thought and inner-connectedness. While the beginning weighs heavily toward individualized thought patterns (much of the explicit action), one can't help but notice the director's stance with his choice to use those very same strangers when Kei and Kato pass the station the first time. They run through several tunnels, but at each station it's the same characters with a continuous thought pattern.

I believe he chose this direction to illustrate how similar societies' attitudes are under nihilism. It's not nearly as individualized as the philosophy makes it out to be. Those guys and girls could have been anybody. There are numerous amounts of people who'd be thinking the same thing. The intention was to make those characters blur and become a group: nihilism as a whole. According to nihilism there is no meaning in life lest the individual recognize it as thus--their thoughts are completely separate and isolated. By showing them here as a group, we begin to see how that's not the case. By expressing their individuality, they become a big blur, a single organism of conscious thought. They're acknowledging collectively the whims of society as it pertains to one another however unaware. This connection they all share in common, and like I said is the opening volley on the argument or idea of inner-connectedness.

Now fast-forward to the third game--I'm going to try and breeze through this because I didn't mean for this to become an essay. The characters find themselves taking on "Buddha." Unlike Neon Genesis Evangelion, they were actually referencing the philosophy rather than the spiritual aspects associated with the symbol. In Buddhism, the pursuit to one's self is the ultimate goal: that realization or enlightenment. Kei denies this through his personal outbursts of violence toward the aliens for using these symbols as vessels: he wants to live. It's not enough to achieve enlightenment. He's fighting to protect others. What the director did here was brilliant. Using the deaths of all his comrades, he was able to wipe the slate clean and pose the question: if you're here fighting to live or to protect someone or otherwise acknowledge some form of reality that your existence seeks to hold for yourself or for others, than is that drive still there when everything is taken away from you.

After the third game, he knew there was no going back. Gantz wouldn't let him. Didn't matter if he found a way, Gantz was in control. Gantz was trying to show to him how meaningless his life truly was (existential nihilism). There was no one to protect. There was just him; frozen in this state between death and life with no possible way of returning. Gantz was trying to show him that this was all there was for him. He could choose death or "live" in this half-existence with nothing to go back to. Kei showed to him that he was wrong. Despite how much he took away, he still found a reason through the vague concept of humanity.

In the fourth game, he acknowledged the existence of a universal truth. He found it in Mika Kanda. He saw everything that was good in life in her. For once, he didn't see her as an object or woman of desire. He saw her for who she truly was, an honest to God good person, and he sought to protect that. To him, she stood as a symbol of the greatness of humanity. The final argument to Gantz. He'd fight to his very last breath defending what she stood for/who she was, even knowing that Mika would not be able to return to her old life either; that she'd continue to live this half-existence with Kei... theoretically (Gantz wouldn't let her, it wanted all of them to die). Kei was fighting for an idea, showing to Gantz that as long as he still drew breath, life was worth living. Mika served as his answer as to why there was meaning to life; a reason to have a reality. Living meant something to them because it meant reaching for that natural inner peace that one can only find in a reality where their person can be expressed. Without that peace and goodwill for one's self/others there was no reason for a person or the collection of ideas they represent to persist. The meaning and answers to an individual's ideas and philosophies lie in the reality they can effect. Otherwise no substance would be needed. -- Sidenote: Mika Kanda was shown in the first episode during the train scene as well as the homeless basher.

/ long explanatation <----- start below if you don't want to read blob of text

This will probably go over most people's heads because it grapples with a lot of abstract theories, ideas, and philosophies that represent us as individuals. But if you had to take one thing away from all this, know that the director was trying to show that Kei beat Gantz at his own game. In order to get across its point, it'd first have to snuff out the ideas Kei and Mika represented, but by killing them it was also acknowledging a truth in itself: the scary notion that life had meaning--so scary that it felt it had to stamp it out in order for it to feel better, that the world would be a better place for it without them; thereby providing meaning to an existence (it was scared of a reality with Kei and Mika in it). So not only did Kei get Gantz to acknowledge objectivism but also its own existential enlightenment. It became aware that it too sought its own answers to its own being.

The director chose to illustrate this scene rather simply, by showing Gantz manipulate the environment to try and kill Kei and Mika, and Kei confronting it and making the gesture of firing a gun (that he beat it). Kei was now in control of him. The idea he represented had an effect on Gantz. The director also chose to illustrate the scene the way he did in order to pay homage to Cowboy Bebop. Can't remember where I heard it: possibly a commentary.

Anyways, sorry for the ridiculously long explanation, but I thought it was needed. There were more parallels and subtext throughout the show, but this one in particular explains the last scene, which I'm sure is the reason a lot of people came here. Excuse my grammar and writing, please. I'm typing this really really fast and haven't proofread anything. I'm kind of tired after 30 minutes of typing, researching, and thinking.

...SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz -_-
NeoBaschAug 10, 2012 10:51 PM
Aug 11, 2012 3:22 AM
Aug 2012
I totally agree with the comment above , and thank you for taking the time to type all of this , but my take on the final episode was as follows :

If you have noticed the hint the blonde guy said right before dying : "it's not gantz that's the cruelest around here , it's the humans" which could be referring to a couple of things being : the plain normal explanation , or the one that I'd most likely prefer , which is that gantz puts the victims to the test and gets out the worst in them .. it's not necessary that they will die after the time's up , it's just taken as a fact , and dealt with as such .. but the psychological effect on them forces them to kill the "aliens" and do as gantz commands .. if you recall in the Buddha arc the golden statue asked him just why are they killing them , they have done them no harm , just because gantz ordered them to ..

To put it short gantz is just a psychedelic mind game and it actually does not force any one to kill or to harm , yet under circumstances you will for your own survival , as you perceive that the rules are a matter of fact.

And maybe what happened in the end , was kei finally being the first person to spend the whole time without killing the target (assuming that kei survived the train ) and succeeding at the game , putting gantz's raison d'etre to an end ..

Assuming that kei did not survive the train , (which is the ending I'd most likely to prefer) , - since kei's character development in the last few episodes led him to be an embodiment of good will and purity , and how he is wondering how he's going to set a change on his own - i think the director of the anime wants to show that even people like kato and futurima exist , and that even that they can influence others with their ideas , the path to utopia is crushed by realism , as there is nothing as the good will prevail , nor the evil .. and not even a balance between the two .. they just keep pushing at each other like a see-saw .. letting kei live would resemble that the victor would be the good , and honestly that sounds too cliche from a very deep anime with all the themes in real life it discusses , but "Neo - the comment above " already went through them .

And oh on a side note : i don't think that kei survived anyway , as kei was an unreal creature brought back by gantz for gantz's personal pleasure , gantz disappearing means that all the subjects he brought back would go away with him in my opinion.
Aug 20, 2013 1:38 AM
Jan 2011
The anime ending WAS a steaming pile of excrement. Almost negating how the anime did everything but the filler very well for this manga's first ~90 chapters.

BUUUUT, ANYWAYS... all the questions take a side line to the MANGA'S ending.

...did YOU notice? DID THEY LIVE(*)? Did ANYONE??!

* if that question surprises you, throw away the "ugh, Oku, c'mon, what's with the happy saccharine ending?!" attitude for a bit and very slowly and thoroughly re-read the manga's last chapter, paying special attention to what's actually going depicted in the art, especially little details, and avoid jumping to conclusions (hint: unreliable narrator/s)
Aug 18, 2015 6:12 PM
May 2015
So tired of hearing that the animes ending was shit... Even after its been explained to you by people who actually get it, u still talk shit... So what if the manga is better? If youre confused read the longest explanation on here, he did an excellent EXCELLENT job of explaining it and making me better understand the ending myself...

What if the people who ended up dying in the 5th game were brought into gantz game to see if they changed? Because they all just watched as Kato and Kei tried to rescue the homeless man.... Why did Gantz think that neither of them would beat his game if when they died they were trying to save someones life??? I thought maybe the other people were supposed to die, so that Gantz could try to see if they change their attitude when their life is in danger? Why didnt the blonde dude at least help them when they were at the train? I think because he DIDNT help them, thats why he decided to help the womans kid from the river.... maybe... and why he took the bullet for Kai, because he knew Kai was a hero and deserved to be saved....

Wow theres just so much to think about... LOVE this Anime... and ill probably read the manga just so i can get more gantz :)
HippyAmandaAug 18, 2015 6:18 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gantz Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Oct 5, 2008

69 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:44 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 12 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 5, 2008

43 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:36 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 11 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 4, 2008

49 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:27 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 10 Discussion

B25Mitch - Sep 27, 2008

37 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 9 Discussion

B25Mitch - Sep 26, 2008

38 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.