Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 23, 2009 5:27 PM

Aug 2008
I've watched the first 75 eps in dub now when I try watch NC in sub I just can't get used to it and its really annoying so I was wandering whether NC is ever gonna get dubbed?
Anyone know?

I will live on no matter what... so I can meet you once again.
Mar 23, 2009 9:39 PM
Jul 2018
Not unless someone (cough -FUNimations- cough) starts to redistribute the first season, which is HIGHLY unlikely, since the first season didn't even garner enough cash to break even in DVD sales. Most online stores still have a bunch of copies from the first season left in overstock, even though Geneon went under about a year ago and the DVD production has been halted. I bought the entire series (box sets) for $50. You can buy the entire single DVD lot for $75.
Mar 23, 2009 10:09 PM

Aug 2008
Wow... and I was under the impression that Hajime no Ippo was one of the most successful/popular animes of all time.

I will live on no matter what... so I can meet you once again.
Mar 24, 2009 7:24 AM
May 2007
well, i think funimation should try and give this series a chance. i think it could give it better marketing than geneon did and they are more of an influential distributor, and i think hajime no ippo being distributed under geneon was simply bad luck at the time.
Mar 24, 2009 11:22 AM
Apr 2008
if funimation did pick it up in the future, i hope they would try and get the same VA's which geneon used for the dub.
Mar 24, 2009 1:03 PM
May 2007
the wii game was able to get them to dub it
Mar 24, 2009 1:29 PM

Jul 2008
ParaParaJMo said:
the wii game was able to get them to dub it

Yeah, but it's not like they even left Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit in the title...

Anyhoo, the sports genre tends to flounder on this side of the Pacific. It's possible HnI may pick up steam which would revitalize it over here, but as Dark-Matter said, it's pretty much in ovestock and is extremely cheap due to low sales.

At the same time, you are right AK. HnI is a very successful franchise, but the catch is only in Japan. As I said earlier, the sports genre doesn't get a lot of love over here, which HnI obviously falls under. If Funimation decides to play around with it, there's a chance they can blow new life into the HnI franchise over here, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

If you're in any kind of rush, I'd just do what you could to adjust to the Japanese voices. Personally, I can't imagine them any other way now, though I'm sure it's just the same for you.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Mar 24, 2009 2:50 PM
May 2007
well if toonami or adult swim was in its prime back when it was the shit, i'm pretty sure funimation would find a home for it there.
Mar 24, 2009 3:41 PM

Jul 2008
I still think the biggest issue even after it finding a home, would be gaining/holding viewers as a sports anime. The interest just isn't there, the advertising would have to be fairly fierce, and topped with a handful of scenes from the fights. I'm not sure the story would stick with as many people here, as much as "ZOMG LIVER BLOW" would. Perhaps I just underestimate people who choose to watch dubbed anime on television ;p

Mar 24, 2009 7:26 PM
May 2007
well dubbed anime on tv is always a big help. that's what got dbz, gundam wing, ronin warriors, and yuu yuu hakusho big here. but then again, i think they'll have to make some edits for tv of course. i know the dub uses the "fuck" a few times which i thought felt weird.

and of course i don't think some people are fond of the idea that ippo is based on tyson.
Mar 24, 2009 7:28 PM

Jul 2008
Penis jokes may not go over too well either.

"Aoki was here."

Mar 25, 2009 4:45 AM
Jan 2009
Hajime No Ippo IS indeed one of the best animes out there. Explains why the mangas been running since '89.

They should never dub anime. Seriously =(
Mar 25, 2009 6:37 AM
May 2007
Bakayaro said:

"Aoki was here."

that was takamura

Xpace said:
Hajime No Ippo IS indeed one of the best animes out there. Explains why the mangas been running since '89.

They should never dub anime. Seriously =(

well dubbing anime is sometimes the way to go
Mar 25, 2009 11:10 AM

Jul 2008
ParaParaJMo said:
Bakayaro said:

"Aoki was here."

that was takamura

Meh, so my memory doesn't serve me correct. The entire hospital gag would have to get editted out, at any rate. Though in comparison to the manga, the anime is fairly tame on that front.

Mar 25, 2009 8:42 PM
May 2007
oh yeah, speaking of the wii game, i actually liked the guy who played miyata in that version, i thought he was way better than the anime version who sounded like he was a chain smoker
Apr 13, 2009 3:02 AM
Apr 2009
Well, the seed for Hajime no Ippo was planted at funimation through thier blog. it actually got some attention. Hopefully they do something about it. They're starting to try to market sports anime with Dubbing Big Winup and now partnering with Toei and offering Slam Dunk subbed.

Dubbing helps bridge the gap for licenser and everyone else. TV is still one of the greatest marketing tools along with the internet. I think with Big Windup they can get a younger audience interested in Sports anime, and branch out from there. They've got a strong business model and if they can get their hands on Hajime No Ippo, I think they could quite possibly turn it around. I would watch the success of Big Windup and Slam Dunk closely. I think it will make or break Hajime No Ippo for them. That is unless enough people have bombarded them through email , forum and the like asking for it.

my two paragraphs.
May 17, 2017 5:13 AM
May 2017
I wish the new challenger and champions road was dubbed.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

superjesus - Mar 9, 2009

65 by GingZ »»
May 27, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 30, 2009

127 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 12, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 16, 2009

140 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 11, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 17, 2009

66 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 22, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Apr 21, 2009

75 by Meritas »»
Mar 16, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.