Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 21, 2009 10:32 PM
Mar 2008
I'd love if someone can explain me in a detailed way what the fuck happened during the whole movie. I understand who was the killer but I really can't make a distinction between the "reality" and the "fantasy" in the movie itself.
Mar 22, 2009 6:07 AM
Feb 2009
Same here! Anyone?
Mar 22, 2009 5:44 PM
Feb 2008
I had really high expectations about this one, since I've heard so much good shite about it. Boy, was I disappointed or what? The story hopped between reality and fantasy to the point where I just stopped caring entirely.

Story wise, everything made perfect sense to me, except the fact that Mima was somehow linked with Rumi. It could be of supernatural nature or something, personalities jumping between bodies. Or it could just have been Mima put under a lot of stress and then being pumped in her sleep with Rumi's stories about her stabbing the shite out of people. The latter scenario is most likely imo, since Mima found the bloody pizza-clothes in her wardrobe, which could've been planted there by Rumi. And since Rumi often pays Mima visits as the 'real' Mima. And Mima swallowing everything could have just been caused by stress.

Sense. I might make as much as this movie. My apologies, I'm tired as heck. ^_^
Mar 23, 2009 11:10 AM
Feb 2009
Thanks for your explanation, Kibo-kun! Yeah, I didn't get the Mima/Rumi thing either, that's one place I get confused too.

One little thing I hadn't known before my Wikipedia trip five minutes ago- "Perfect Blue" was Satoshi Kon's first movie. Knowing that, I'm a lot more impressed! This was still pretty damn good for a first movie!
Jun 27, 2009 6:36 PM

Jul 2008
in the end, the last scene of the anime, everyone thought it was really Mima that appear in the car alone, or anyone thought Mima stayed in the hospital and rumi take his place??
dont know, i want to believe that it really Mima there in the car, but dont know, the anime is so confusing
Jul 13, 2009 8:46 PM
May 2009
@Alboretti
At the end, the two nurses can't believe that such a famous actress (that role turned into a big break) would come there. She overhears them, and now that she finally has sorted out all that crazy Rumi impersonating her shit, she's got her life back on track and a grip on her sanity, and can say with confidence, "No, I'm Real!"
Jul 16, 2009 5:40 AM

Jul 2008
Boeshango said:
@Alboretti
At the end, the two nurses can't believe that such a famous actress (that role turned into a big break) would come there. She overhears them, and now that she finally has sorted out all that crazy Rumi impersonating her shit, she's got her life back on track and a grip on her sanity, and can say with confidence, "No, I'm Real!"

that what i thought in the first time, but like i said, the naime is so confusing
thanks for the explanation
Oct 11, 2010 9:03 AM

May 2009
Just watched it... Thought about it for 10 minutes.
______
______|----X X---> MIND BLOWN
/ /` ----
Dec 14, 2013 9:48 PM

Apr 2012
Huh?

So this old, fat lady is impersonating the Mima's idol self the whole time?
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Feb 12, 2014 3:49 PM
Jul 2012
One confusing movie I ever saw that I can't think of a answer to the op.
Feb 14, 2014 1:16 AM
Feb 2014
To try and explain it:

The reality v. fantasy thing was to showcase what was happening in the TV show and parallel it to what Mima was going through while attempting to come to terms with leaving the pop-idol life. This manifested in her actually developing psychosis similar to that which was displayed by the character in the in-movie TV show "Double Bind". Mima appears to "lose" pockets of time which is shown in the movie as the time skips. This confusion for the view is magnified by Mima's own lack of understanding of what is and isn't real further compounding the effect of these time skips. This over-identification with a character for actors is something that happens pretty often, a more notable example of which is the development of depression in the late Heath Ledger who played The Joker in "The Dark Knight". If you pay close attention during the movie, you can notice where Rumi is conspicuously absent and where she is irrelevant to the appearance of the pop-idol mirage that Mima hallucinates.

This is just what I've come up with after watching it again recently and by no means Satoshi Kon's actual intention. But its an explanation that I think makes sense.Hope I helped!
Mar 10, 2014 3:01 AM

Feb 2013
So, where was the otaku character actually in all of this? Was the okatu Mima's vision of what the creator of her website actually was, even though it was Rumi? Or are the otaku and Rumi actually different characters all-together?

That's where I'm stumped on the whole thing. Great movie though~
Mar 23, 2014 6:07 PM

Nov 2010
@piegoose I think where her fan/otaku falls in is that both he and Rumi wanted to 'preserve' Mima-rin and they were working together, which I think would explain all the personal information on the website coming from Rumi since Rumi was close to Mima and would know that kind of stuff. Having said that I don't understand the sequence toward the latter half of them movie where Mima kills her fan but then he appears to have been killed by different means (stabbing instead of the head injury) when his body is shown along with Mimas other agents (?) corpse. The stab wounds would imply that Rumi did it but Mimas visibly dishevelled after the encounter.

If many of you didn't enjoy how confusing the story was I wouldn't suggest any of Satoshi Kons other works because non of them are straightforward. I don't think that's a bad thing and I'm a huge fan of his work, especially Perfect Blue and I've re watched it a handful of times.
Mar 27, 2014 5:43 AM

Feb 2013
@DaliPuff I think when it shows the otaku at the computer isn't sufficient evidence of him existing. It flashes Rumi at the computer at one scene of the movie, and before it likely shows the otaku because that is Mima's vision of what he/she looks like.

I actually thought about it a bit more, and I think the otaku did exist in a way, but not exactly how he is shown in the movie. I think he existed in the scene where he was a body guard for the concert. In that scene he gained attention from Mima by arguing with a bunch of delinquents. Mima notices the otaku guy at that scene, and that is probably where she returns to see an image of this creepy person she imagines.

At one scene Mima looks over frantically, seeing the otaku stand there watching her. Yet, at a second glance he is gone. You could say that he legitimately disappeared, but I see it as a mirage she is creating as she slowly becomes more and more paranoid.

Rumi was collecting information on Mima, but I don't see why she couldn't have also been the one entering in the text on the website.
Aug 3, 2014 2:52 AM

Dec 2013
Piegoose said:
@DaliPuff I think when it shows the otaku at the computer isn't sufficient evidence of him existing. It flashes Rumi at the computer at one scene of the movie, and before it likely shows the otaku because that is Mima's vision of what he/she looks like.

I actually thought about it a bit more, and I think the otaku did exist in a way, but not exactly how he is shown in the movie. I think he existed in the scene where he was a body guard for the concert. In that scene he gained attention from Mima by arguing with a bunch of delinquents. Mima notices the otaku guy at that scene, and that is probably where she returns to see an image of this creepy person she imagines.

At one scene Mima looks over frantically, seeing the otaku stand there watching her. Yet, at a second glance he is gone. You could say that he legitimately disappeared, but I see it as a mirage she is creating as she slowly becomes more and more paranoid.

Rumi was collecting information on Mima, but I don't see why she couldn't have also been the one entering in the text on the website.

otaku is a creepy stalker.
rumi is running the mima website.
rumi emails back and forth with otaku pretending to be the REAL mima, and convincing him to kill people.
when he gets knocked out by mima and fails to kill her rumi finishes him off.

the only part i'm not fairly certain of is whether rumi killed that other agent guy or if otaku did it before attacking mima? i would assume his body's placement would imply rumi killed him? i guess it doesn't matter much in the long run though.

i'm pretty sure that otaku was meant to be interpreted as actually existing in all scenes he appears in.

also, while the "mami in psychward" theory to the ending is a pretty interesting idea, i just can't imagine that the ugly overweight rumi somehow successfully became a famous movie star impersonating mima... even if that last scene is a bit cheesy i think its meant to be interpreted straight. and fuck if mima doesn't deserve a happy ending after the nonstop traumatic shitfest she spends the entire movie going through.
Aug 13, 2014 8:56 PM
Jul 2018
thedryness said:
also, while the "mami in psychward" theory to the ending is a pretty interesting idea, i just can't imagine that the ugly overweight rumi somehow successfully became a famous movie star impersonating mima... even if that last scene is a bit cheesy i think its meant to be interpreted straight. and fuck if mima doesn't deserve a happy ending after the nonstop traumatic shitfest she spends the entire movie going through.

I totally agree.
It wouldn't make any sense if Rumi suddenly lost a lot of weight and became pretty, and looked EXACTLY like Mima, while Mima became overweight and ugly, looking EXACTLY like Rumi. That just wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. The "Mima in a psychward" theory is total BS.
The ending is exactly what it appears to be. Mima finally became successful in life. A happy and satisfying ending after a traumatic experience. Not every horror film needs an unhappy ending.
Sep 21, 2014 1:45 AM
Mar 2011
Another thing that helps understand a little better is being familiar with Satoshi Kon's directing

He always does this kind of unclear narrative where the perspective of the main character and the people around that person kinda blends together (paranoia agent and paprica REALLY confused me until I just understood that it's his "thing")
Sep 29, 2014 12:16 PM

Nov 2011
It kinda felt as if the otaku waas just a means of distraction from the real culprit. And this sort of plot artifice doesn't really come to my liking. Otherwise I would like to understand what was his actual role in the story. For a while, after the ending, I felt sorry for him and thought of what about he was actually just an innocent fan and what if he actually tried to kill Rumi and not Mima? I think I remember him accusing Mima of not being the real one so maybe he was talking to Rumi instead?
May 17, 2015 7:27 AM

Nov 2013
Wishy said:
I really can't make a distinction between the "reality" and the "fantasy" in the movie itself.

That´s kinda the point.
You all need to watch Nami.

Nov 10, 2015 2:12 PM

Sep 2013
I think I saw somewhere Rumi giving a glass of water with a drug dissolving in it, maybe she gave her some hallucinogenic so she could make her believe her distinction from reality.

Also in the end the nurse stated that the psych-ward Rumi sometimes regains her persona as Rumi, so the visitor was real Mima-rin....err actress Mima.
Nov 19, 2015 12:11 PM

Dec 2014
the movie was great made my day
Nov 19, 2015 2:12 PM

Apr 2013
amazing movie, that ending damn, amazing directing and surrealism
Nov 21, 2015 2:08 PM

Nov 2014
Really weird movie, made me think of Beautiful Mind

Mar 16, 2016 9:42 PM
Jan 2011
Sorry to necropost but I had a different idea. Satoshi Kon was quoted as saying that he wants the audience to come to their own conclusion on what happened. Wikipedia explains it as a foige-a-duis or a "shared psychological experience" and that Rumi was impersonating the old Mima, but I think that that is too convenient of an answer. You can't really expect your audience to draw the conclusion that Mima has a condition that most people never even know existed. The over dependence of the ending on Rumi serves to downplay the role that Me-Mania served throughout the film, and his scenes and subsequent death in the second act of the movie were disappointingly anti-climactic. It was as if Kon rewrote Rumi as the big-bad and didn't know what to do with Me-Mania. Obviously I am just speculating here, but I stand by my original analysis given how shaky the ground in which the widely accepted analysis stands on.

My opinion is that Rumi and Me-Mania were facets of Mima's split personality, which makes sense given their shared experiences with Mima's idol illusion. As the narrator from Fight Club says "If you wake up in a different time zone, or in a different city, do you wake up as a different person?" There are several times in the movie where Mima claims to see both her idol and Me-Mania. They appear and disappear to her as if they were phantoms, and Mima sees them everywhere. Her subconscious mind is split between music and acting, and her psychosis is driven by her comparisons of her deflowering as an actress to the unprecedented success her friends in CHAM! are experiencing without her. Deep down inside, she wishes to return to idol life, simply because it was security, and represented a time before the psychosis. If she returned to being an idol, then maybe all of the bad stuff happening to her would stop. That would also help to explain why the people responsible for her deflowering as an actress were killed. Tadokoro, Shibuya, and the Photographer, all with their eyes gouged. I'd love to know what kind of symbolism the screwdriver represented. She was still extremely crazy, and her constant psychosis jumping from scenes to cars to her bed make it hard for me to believe that all these killings were just chalked up to Rumi. How could you just say "Oh yeah Me-Mania was whatever. It was all Rumi, but every things cool, she's in a mental hospital and Mima is now a famous actress hooray!". My opinion, though much more jarring, is something akin to Shudder Island. Mima was allowed to live out her fantasy in an effort to find out who she truly is for her treatment. Now that that is done, she is ready and willing for a lobotomy. If you ask me, that makes far more sense and is much more logical a conclusion for this story. Still a tour-de-force though.
Dec 13, 2017 7:40 AM

Apr 2016
Answer guy coming through beep beep

Rumi is Mima's "original" personality's id (id not identification). After she got raped in the nightclub, she created the personality Rumi who dreamed of being an idol so much that she created the character Mima. Rumi is a manifestation of the desire of the original Yoko to escape her life. Eventually the idol story stops making sense in Yoko's mind, when coupled with the doctor visits so Mima has to become an actor to remedy this cognitive dissonance.
The otaku stalker guy is the violent personality created to kill those who raped her at the club scene, once all of them die, with the director being last, she can kill off the personality. Who also dies in the club, though not with a screw driver as her other kills. She wacks him in the side of the head with a hammer, and no blood is shown. Later he is shown to be missing an eye next to the directors dead corpse. I think this lack of continuity is a clue that otaku is not real.
Lastly after killing her rapists and her killer personality she decides to kill off Rumi which is her link to her original identity. In the end she decides that Mima is the real person with her words "I'm the real thing."

Throughout the movie the MC is told to stop dreaming. Even post shooting of her drama, in a somewhat random scene. The scenes are disjointed and unexplainable, much of what happens is illogical, and the way the rape scene is shot makes it look as though it would be real.

Well that's my two cents which are worth 100x anyone else's.
May 11, 2018 1:23 AM
Sep 2017
I thought I would pop in and say DAMN THIS MOVIE IS GOOD.

In Layman's terms, Rumi was impersonating Mima on the website and saying that the actress Mima (Which is the real one) is a fake and needs to be gotten rid of, so of course he starts attacking her with the mail bomb and etc. After everything happens, Mima finds out that Rumi was psychologically screwed-up and Rumi tries to kill her so she can destroy the actress Mima and keep the pop idol Mima alive (by taking up the job or something? Idk"
Aug 27, 2018 6:00 AM
Nov 2013
Just watched the movie a while ago and another while to thought careful about the anime plot. At first,I actually believed that Mima got mental breakdown and having split personality that one is an actress while another is an idol that controlling the obsessed fan (the creep guy). It was true that she suffered some mental problem during the flash back between reality and fantasy images scene to some point. However, I believe that those things were just a summary of the movie making process, while going through with the casting, she still thinking that she had killed Shibuya (director) and the photographer. To the scene where the movie revealed that Rumi was the one who behind all the tragedy, Mami has finally realized the reality and back to her sane to claim her identity and face off the lunatic Rumi who was imitates her all along. In the final sence, when she looks in the mirror and says "it is me, Mima", that is when her mind had been clear.
A55CH33KS 10V3R 69
Feb 6, 2021 7:47 AM
Dec 2018
There is a difference between fucked up and confusing. This movie just mixed both lol. The only thing that I liked was probably the conclusion. I thought mima had split personality disorder while it was actually rumi.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Perfect Blue Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aero - Jul 18, 2009

349 by TeeDeeHeeHee »»
May 11, 12:32 PM

» Few confusing that i don't understand HELP ME, if you didn't watched it plz go away I'm sure it be fully spoilers

MadSonic - Feb 18

22 by watsym »»
Apr 30, 7:14 AM

» Great movie... but suffered through the entire thing

BustedBayou - Jan 4

17 by Feitan_exe »»
Mar 1, 10:29 PM

» Confused

R1NN_ - Jul 4, 2023

22 by HansDevX »»
Dec 13, 2023 7:20 PM

» Recommendations like this movie with THOSE scenes

SadikTD - Apr 30, 2023

8 by arrianne311 »»
Sep 20, 2023 12:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.