Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 18, 2014 8:31 PM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Alright, just made it back from the theater so here goes!

I was happy to see that the movie wasn't basically a 90-minute rehashing of the tv series as has been done for several other shows previously. If I had to guess, I would say it was about 70/30 new material/material from the television series, and much of the footage that was repeated from the show was given additional background or was shown to the viewer from Menma's perspective, or what Menma was thinking during certain key scenes.

Regarding the promotional giveaway items, apparently only certain theaters were given the autograph prints and "letter from Menma", the latter of which was limited to just 20 copies (for the theaters that got them). The showing I attended was one of the few that had these goods, but unfortunately they had been set up inside the theater and people who just poked their heads in were able to grab them up (or so I was told), which I suppose is my fault for not being more nosy (on the bright side, I was at least able to get one of the auto prints).
Jan 18, 2014 11:31 PM

Aug 2009
I just finished watching from the theaters too Q u Q

Im so thankful that I was able to get both of the freebies! ^ o ^

It was... alright........ UNFORTUNATELY, I didnt cry like how I balled when I watched the original show. Mainly because I already knew what happened in the recap scenes. I wished I could feel more impact of emotion.. or maybe Im just a rock v_ v

Honestly, part of me just wished the movie could have just broken all the world's rules and just became a magical moment where Menma could come back to life and be with everyone again. Also at the end.. I just wished.. she could say something to them again..... even a sentence could be fine v.v //tear Truly.. I would have just loved that....

Overall the movie was just a recap... but in the end, I enjoy anything Anohana T w T I wish I could see these characters forever
Jan 19, 2014 12:26 AM

Dec 2012
Just got back here too! Got both of the freebies, letter and poster, and I can definitely say that the movie was worth it! The scene where they said "Menma, we found you!" hit me pretty hard (again). Feels refreshed. :,)

But...
:(
Jan 19, 2014 12:42 AM

Mar 2013
It's bearly an okay movie at best. The characterization feels bland compared to the series. Take Yukiatsu as an example. He's probably my favorite character, not because he's likeable or a role model. What I like about him is how broken, miserable and damaged he is, almost to the point of being disgusting. He's a very human character. In the movie, if you haven't watched the original series, I don't think you can empathize with him. We suddenly see him crossdressing instead of knowing beforehand why he acts that way. The same can be said for all the characters, although to different degree. At the end it's a matter of presentation.

That said, I liked that we could get more information and a new perspective of some events, and of course I can't deny there were very touching moments. I had two men literally shedding manly tears when the ending song burst at the climax -when all the guys are finally able to see Menma.

By the way, I got the letter from Menma and my poster signed.

The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Jan 19, 2014 8:07 AM

Aug 2013
I thought it was good. It provided a lot of closure. It just felt good to see all of them again and see what they were up to after "that day". I was hoping to get those letters from Menma like other theaters that were showing it but I got a mini poster instead.
Jan 19, 2014 9:47 PM
Mar 2012
Not going lie, I cried until I had no more tears, the film was very well made. I appreciate it much more knowing similar scenes that appeared in the TV series were completely redrawn. Though it was pretty much a recap, the movie provided the same story in different point of views. I was also able to have an interview with the film producer Hiroyuki Shimizu which made it even better, knowing what is going on behind the scenes and his personal feelings about it. The highlight though was that he said he had no plans on producing any more Anohana works. I would love to see the scene where Anaru confesses to Jintan, but unfortunately they didn't show it in the movie.

10/10
Jan 19, 2014 9:58 PM

Jan 2013
I liked how they skipped in between states in time, showing the "after" and "before". I felt if you didn't watch the series, you'd be a little lost and more importantly miss out on this nice touch. It catered nicely to the fans of the series. New ED was nice too. Kinda wish I'd gotten to the theater earlier so I could have gotten a signboard though. All in all it was exactly what I was expecting and a little more.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jan 25, 2014 1:13 PM

Jul 2013
It was awesome seeing this in theaters, I'm glad I got go. I only got one of the goodies from the theater but it was still nice to get something, although I wish the letters were translated... Regarding the film, it was nice to see all of the Super Peace Busters again, it felt refreshing to see how they are all doing, and their letters to Menma really shows how much they've changed. I wasn't surprised by the recaps but I feel that they might've been redone becaise they looked better than what I've seen from the TV show. Hearing Menma's sid.e of the story also helped clear some stuff up like specifically why she appeared before Jintan. Overall this was a good film despite it being mostly a recap film, and I do wish some things like Anaru's confession happened, but I guess that was just wishful thinking. I give it an 8/10, it was a very fun watch although if you haven't watched the show, you might not enjoy it as much.
Feb 2, 2014 6:24 PM

Oct 2012
Watched it yesterday at the theater. I liked the prologue, and loved how they summarized the whole thing in a movie, it was very well done in my opinion.

Even my friend that never watched the series but told him to watch it, and he cried... and a lot. He loved the movie so much. Even the whole people were crying their eyes out. The '''Are you ready?'' It's what most people get feels at.

Glad I was able to watch it in theaters. Anyone got a menma card? They ran out so fast over here. And what did it contained anyway?
MaurokiFeb 2, 2014 6:28 PM
Feb 9, 2014 1:09 PM

Jul 2013
That was meh. The main series is better. Then again that's just my opinion.
Feb 9, 2014 3:14 PM

Sep 2012
LittleInori said:
Just got back here too! Got both of the freebies, letter and poster, and I can definitely say that the movie was worth it! The scene where they said "Menma, we found you!" hit me pretty hard (again). Feels refreshed. :,)

But...
No freebees for me but it hit me hard again.

And I agree with your spoiler. It would have been even better.
Feb 9, 2014 5:55 PM

Jul 2007
Luckily I got freebies! There were no more when I left the movie.

Thankfully, I watched this series when it aired and my memory of it was extremely limited - everything felt partially "new" to me so the impact was more strong.

My friend on the other hand watched the whole series 2 days before, impact was not as strong due to the recaps.
Feb 12, 2014 7:15 PM

May 2012
I just washed my face with my tears in the theatres. Enough said.
Feb 12, 2014 8:22 PM

May 2012
Those man tears nearly came on to me at the end...

So disappointed that I didn't get any freebies like the signboard. I went to the second screening since I couldn't make the first and I guess they were only giving them out during the first screening.....bah first world problems.....
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Feb 12, 2014 9:47 PM

Feb 2012
Just came back from the theater 2hrs ago.

The tears at the end omg..

Really good story with different point of view then the anime.

I'm sad though, couldn't grab any freebies, they only handed 4 and made a quiz for 4 others...
Feb 23, 2014 7:40 PM
May 2010
Excellent movie, I cried twice.

But why isn't listed as sequel, 'cause this after the events of the main story, it's set one year after all the events.

Nice freebies I get from the movie.
Feb 24, 2014 12:57 AM

Sep 2012
I agree, it is more a sequel than a recap with some new scenes. It is a sequel with flashbacks.
Feb 26, 2014 9:33 PM
May 2010
hpulley said:
I agree, it is more a sequel than a recap with some new scenes. It is a sequel with flashbacks.

Yeah I think the same, I was hoping for a very big recap...but then I found out the story takes place ONE YEAR after the original one. So I think some moderator might want list it as a sequel.
Mar 1, 2014 11:22 PM

Nov 2007
It's not completely in Menma's point of view, which is just when she first became friends with them and the final part. Letters to Menma part (sequel) came out earlier than I thought. The TV series parts show up in important snaps and that final, touching part. I actually like the art Tsuruko drew, even though the faces are not so pretty. Oh, that's the secret to the cake. lol~ It's nice to know her feelings behind why she has such wish. This shows that Menma is still in everyone's heart even though everyone's life moves.
tsubasaloverMar 2, 2014 2:37 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 3, 2014 1:23 AM

Dec 2013
Wow this movie was amazing, it made me shed some tears again with the whole "Secret Base" song playing again at the farewell scene at the top of the mountain.
We got to see more of a clarification of Menma's wish and how she felt about each group member too.

The best thing about the movie though is how the viewers finally got to see more of a sequel to the anime series with the relationship of the group finally restored completely and how they were calling Jintan "leader" again which i truly liked.
( the fact that Yukiatsu made the group make sure to meet each other at the secret base once a year from now on was also great to see)

Also I was hoping for a confession from Anaru but I guess that can wait since that would've seriously ruined the movie's whole entire atmosphere.
(We can also pretty much foresee that Anaru will someday confess to Jintan in the future because she was finally able to tell Menma the truth about how she feels about Jintan)

All in all, 10/10 movie just like the series.
HyuseMar 3, 2014 1:26 AM

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Mar 5, 2014 8:17 AM

Dec 2011
It's a sequel, damn "Menma's point of view".

Good enough, 8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2014 5:21 AM

Sep 2013
The movie gave me a BITTER END!
DIDN'T GIVE ME ANY TEARS LIKE THE TV SERIES DID BUT
DAYUM, I WANT AN OVA WHERE JINTA REALIZES ANARU'S FEELING AND START A RELATIONSHIP OR SOMETHING. GODDAMIT JINTA WHY WONT YOU REALIZE ANARU'S FEELING JEEEEZE, JUST FORGET ABOUT MENMA.

Mar 11, 2014 2:55 PM
Apr 2013
yeah i just saw the movie , dont know why they couldn't add romance in somewhere, ruined the movie for me
Mar 22, 2014 1:32 PM
Dec 2012
Best film I've seen this year!
Mar 25, 2014 9:44 AM

Nov 2012
ahh, it's been a while since i watched the series, so it was nice to refresh the memories. nice way to do a recap! 7/10 from me
Mar 25, 2014 11:44 AM

Apr 2013
Mhm... even though I love this series... and remember most of what happens...
The beginning of the movie still managed to piss me off a little ._.
The frantic shouting and all >.<

Omg and what fansub group did you guys use >.<
I tried two of different subs and the translation was just terrible
duderusMar 25, 2014 12:04 PM

Mar 29, 2014 6:26 AM

Feb 2013
Glad to see they are still together even after Menma left, hopefully someday Analu will be able to confess to Jintan, and as always, third time that I saw that scene and still cried 9/10
Mar 30, 2014 6:46 PM
Jan 2013
trabeus1 said:
The movie gave me a BITTER END!
DIDN'T GIVE ME ANY TEARS LIKE THE TV SERIES DID BUT
DAYUM, I WANT AN OVA WHERE JINTA REALIZES ANARU'S FEELING AND START A RELATIONSHIP OR SOMETHING. GODDAMIT JINTA WHY WONT YOU REALIZE ANARU'S FEELING JEEEEZE, JUST FORGET ABOUT MENMA.
this,really hard
Apr 4, 2014 8:58 PM

Oct 2010
I knew Anaru and Tsuruko wouldn't have the spine to pursue relationships with Jinta and Yukiatsu, so irritatingly predictable on their part. That was enough to lower my score. And then Anaru even hides behind the excuse that she feels the same way for Menma, sure.

Aside from Anaru and Tsuruko's continued lack of resolve, it was a good movie. 8/10
Madara31Apr 4, 2014 9:01 PM
Apr 4, 2014 9:17 PM

Jun 2013
Anaru and Tsuruko not confessing was breaking my heart yet again...

Aside from that, great movie.

9/10.
Apr 4, 2014 9:20 PM

Jan 2013
How are people watching it, if it's not in sub yet?
Apr 4, 2014 9:40 PM
Mar 2014
insanity- said:

Its in sub on AnimeSeason.com
Apr 4, 2014 9:42 PM

Jan 2013
KouhaRen0 said:
insanity- said:

Its in sub on AnimeSeason.com

Thank you! I don't know why, but when I searched for it in sub there were just discussions about when it's coming out in sub.
Apr 4, 2014 10:42 PM

Oct 2011
Gosh, I still cried.
Nice to see them back :)

8/10
Apr 4, 2014 11:02 PM

Feb 2013
Recaps, recaps and more god damn recaps. They should have just done a special/ova with the new content instead.
Apr 4, 2014 11:04 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow, it still hit me hard the second time around. I cried throughout the whole movie, especially the ending. My eyes are so dry right now ;_;

Like the OP mentioned, it was nice to see that it was mainly new content and then flashbacks. Definitely wasn't as the synopsis said, from Menma's pov though. I like how we get to see everyone's perspectives, that was nicely done. Beautiful movie, but probably won't have as much of a impact for people who haven't seen the series.
Apr 5, 2014 12:30 AM
Dec 2013
Tengoku_no_hakai said:

9/10.

^ it woulda been nice if this was more of a sequel than a recap, but it still had the same effect as the series.
Apr 5, 2014 2:35 AM

May 2013
Subbed version is out! Im glad that even this movie is only a recap at some points, they pointed out here all their personal feelings and the ED theme is too refreshing. 8/10
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 5, 2014 4:12 AM

Aug 2012
Oh gosh every time when that song plays :(
Apr 5, 2014 7:08 AM

Nov 2009
The flashbacks plus narrations were good. It was nice to see things from everyone's point-of-views. I think the anime was better though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2014 9:13 AM

Apr 2013
mylesperhour said:
Tengoku_no_hakai said:

9/10.

^ it woulda been nice if this was more of a sequel than a recap, but it still had the same effect as the series.

I agree, I loved Anohana but the recap parts were tiresome after a while.
Apr 5, 2014 10:14 AM

Jul 2013
I won't complain about the recap part, sure it just reused scenes from the series but it fits the flow of the story and gives more insight to the characters feelings, which made the recapped scenes even more meaningful and more powerful than when I watched it the first time.

Everything about this movie is just as beautiful as, if not more than, the series. Of course I'm a little disappointed that the romance have barely moved on since the last time we saw them but to me, romance was never Ano Hana's main point so I'm okay with what's being implied (Anaru waiting and Tsuruko planning to confess).

10/10
MoeGodApr 5, 2014 10:31 AM
Apr 5, 2014 10:52 AM

Aug 2011
I cried even more than during the Tv version. It was very nice to be reminded how lovely Ano Hana is^^
Apr 5, 2014 5:45 PM

May 2012
Biggest regret of my life that i watch this movie..
I tears too much than tv series, too much feels..
I live when Secret base play and tears much..
I love that ED song too..
I miss Menma already, shes really cute and awesome..
Its been a long time i watched the tv series so the recap part is not a bother to me..
Definitely 10/10

Apr 5, 2014 7:02 PM

Aug 2013
That was a nice little recap :) was able to hold most tears trying to escape from my eyes this time unlike the tv series. 8/10
Apr 6, 2014 12:04 AM

May 2010
The feels are back, damn it! I nearly cried when they were reading the letters (I rarely cry, watching anime. I don't even remember the last time I cried)

This was so beautiful... Don't know why some people hate/dislike anohana. It's so amazing...

10/10

If only this got a sequel. Though, I admit it wouldn't be as good, some stories are better off without a sequel but still... gah
Apr 6, 2014 6:03 AM

Aug 2011
I was so dumb to watch this before attending to school. God damnit the feels omg. I think there was maybe too much flashbacks so we kept seeing things we already knew but well it still was great <3 Dat ed song tho hehe.
Apr 6, 2014 10:10 PM

Oct 2012
No tears, but LOTS of goosebumps. Watching this again was so nostalgic. Plus, Jintan looks so much better with the new haircut ^_^ It was a nice little add-on to the series.

Really wish there would've been more development with Jintan and Anaru >3>

Apr 6, 2014 10:21 PM

Oct 2013
watching this anime before went to work: Bad Decision
"Burn the heretics"
Apr 7, 2014 1:24 AM

Sep 2011
I've just watched the movie and it was great :) I really liked it.

Anyways, I have a question and I was hoping someone would be able to answer me :)
Where does the name of the anime come from? "We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day." I thought that after watching the movie I would understand (maybe) but I didn't :P
So... Anyone has any ideas?
Thanks ^.^
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» whats better? Anohana the movie or the series?

alpha20100 - Sep 18, 2014

31 by STSayeb »»
May 4, 2023 3:16 AM

» Where in the UK can I watch this

Winners84 - Jul 3, 2021

14 by quercifolia »»
Jul 15, 2021 11:22 AM

» Is it better to watch the movie or the series?

Javyer - Aug 23, 2014

6 by Laio_Oliveira2 »»
Jan 9, 2018 12:10 PM

» Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai. Movie plot

ryuushi - Oct 18, 2016

6 by ghostorc »»
Oct 18, 2016 1:12 PM

» Anohana 2nd Movie 2015!!

Seda1307 - Oct 20, 2014

9 by ibraheem234 »»
Aug 18, 2016 7:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.