Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think of the Akira live-action movie planned?

New
Akira movie: win or fail?
Mar 13, 2009 6:17 PM

Sep 2008
I'm optimistic about this movie, but that's mainly because I love DeCaprio.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 19, 2009 12:21 PM

Nov 2007
I only voted indifferent because I am unsure of how the "Romanization" of it will pan out. The past couple of adapted Japanese horror movies have been fair to bad. Maybe since it isn't in the horror genre it will not suffer the same problems. I would like to however find some material on Spielberg's vision of Akira and if he is a fan of it in the first place.

I wonder who would play as the colonel??
Mar 19, 2009 2:50 PM

Jun 2007
I'm skeptical as usual.
Mar 20, 2009 3:00 AM

Sep 2008
always skeptical of american adaptations of anime proporties. My greatest fear is that it'll be turned into some sci-fi horror film, focusing entirely on blood and gore, and lose all the things that make the anime great. But there's always hope...

at least until we start seeing trailers ;)

Mar 20, 2009 4:07 AM

Mar 2008
I don't know, I feel like the movies nowadays have the possibilities to reach the desired computer-graphics and effects that we demand but the problem is the execution in creating it.

This is my opinion but take this example; games turning into movies. We got decent movie such as Resident Evil, Silent hill, or Mortal Kombat; which were properly executed in my opinion. Then you have other movies such as Doom, Max Payne, or Street Fighter; which were horrible in my opinion.

There will be the "goods", such as Transformer; and the "bads", such as City Hunter or Speed Racer.

So im feeling indifferent for now, we'll see what happens...

The Bird of the Hermes is my name, Biting my wings to make me tame.
Mar 22, 2009 3:22 AM

Nov 2007
Wow I didn't know that City Hunter got a movie. I have heard that the Casshern movie was not that great either. I really didn't think that the visual style was appropriate in it myself.

I hope that they don't abuse it like they are Race to Witch Mountain. The original was not spectacular in the least, but they are making it into something it was never supposed to be. American cinema is going into a weird direction as far as the main stream titles are concerned.
Mar 22, 2009 3:40 AM

Jun 2007
City Hunter movie = The one with Jackie Chan? That SF scene was hilarious.
Jul 16, 2009 6:31 AM

May 2009
i think that if they keep it out of hollywood hands, the movie will be amazing, i hope they ask Ang Lee to direct.

Sep 16, 2009 12:35 AM

Nov 2007
Masuku, I agree completely!
Nov 9, 2009 8:47 AM
Jun 2008
I'm optimistic. I think, much like the Bebop film with Keanu Reeves, it COULD be very good. I just feel it's a shame someone like Ridley Scott (Blade Runner) or Peter Jackson isn't helming it. If they wanted to they could really do something with it. But they're not on that project.

Still, there is much to be said for no name directors.
Feb 7, 2010 5:20 AM

Feb 2010
I dunno what to think. It could turn out pretty well. But i thought that also for anime movie, and it turned horrible. I am a fan of manga, not the anime(regarding akira), so i really don't know how can you put 6 volumes(over 2000 pages) into one movie. So i think it would suck bad, but i dont know why, voted for win :S
They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search it to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, "Search for Paradise."
Mar 4, 2010 10:58 PM

Mar 2009
I think it is going to be garbage. There is no way any American director will be able to capture those wonderful visuals, moods, or environments without making it some construed piece of shit.

DiCaprio doesnt have what it takes to play an gang member in a post apocolypitic metropolis. He is way to fucking emo and pretty to play Kaneda
ATS
Mar 8, 2010 7:56 AM

Dec 2008
DiCaprio's too old (not pretty) to play Kaneda. Ten to fifteen years ago, sure, maybe. If he were Japanese.

Akira is a distinctly Japanese science fiction movie (and manga). Turning it into some generic post-apocalyptic cyberpunk flick will only strip it of its cultural context, turning it into a wannabe Blade Runner with aging Hollywood actors aping The Matrix. If they want so badly to make a live-action Akira, take it to Japan, hire younger Japanese actors, have a little respect. American culture likes to pillage and plunder from other cultures, always in the process "Americanizing" things and stripping them of their relevance...

I'll probably see it, but I'll expect it to piss me off. Maybe if they just call it something else and only say it's "based on" Akira (sort of like how The Departed did with Infernal Affairs), I won't find it so offensive.
Mar 11, 2010 5:00 AM
Mar 2010
I will see the movie when it comes out, but I'm certain it will suck. I just can't imagine Akira in the "western way". But, time will tell....
Apr 9, 2010 7:00 PM

Mar 2009
I am pretty sure it will not be good at all as an Akira remake...it might be good as a lone movie. For one one, DiCaprio is just to damn pretty to play a gang member in a post-apocalyptic future. Second I have trouble picturing how they will westernize certain themes that were more revelant in japan because of the nuclear bombs they were hit with. I still will see it though, thats for damn sure...AKIRA 3D...thats what its gonna be.
ATS
Nov 14, 2012 5:11 AM

Sep 2012
AKIRA could never be made live action by America or even Japan. It would just be an abomination. The film is too awesome to have that happen to its image
Dec 12, 2014 7:01 PM

Oct 2012
what the hell is the point of remaking masterpieces if you're not bringing anything new to the table. akiras not even very old. the only possible reason i could see to remake akira would be some kind of tv show so that they could really portray the complexity of the manga in its entirety.

also its so japanese and the art is so complex and beautiful and leo dicaprio is not 15 or japanese there are so many problems with this idea.
Dec 18, 2016 7:47 PM

Feb 2016
Won't happen
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Freedom

xMatronxMalicex - Oct 6, 2008

11 by atsarmo »»
Apr 14, 2010 11:33 PM

» Blu-ray?

yuta21 - Oct 10, 2008

5 by RobdeFR »»
Oct 4, 2009 10:18 AM

» Katsuhiro Otomo's Manga

Pierre_Bezukhov - Jul 7, 2009

1 by DESERT-SPIRIT »»
Aug 2, 2009 6:55 PM

» New Otomo Projects?

xMatronxMalicex - Oct 9, 2008

1 by tranceotaku »»
Oct 9, 2008 11:10 PM

» Mass Akira Rewatch

xMatronxMalicex - Oct 9, 2008

1 by tranceotaku »»
Oct 9, 2008 11:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.