Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 9, 2009 3:31 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
ahh.. everyone else's posts got wiped by the crash ToT

but yes, an awesome episode - we get to learn more about Sebastian's past and how a demon exists and how different he is and poor poor Aberlin.. ;______; I was so sad!!! love the bit where Ciel slaps Sebastian for not saving him -- but I guess a demon wouldn't think twice about letting a human be a shield for his master..

and wow. wasn't expecting that kind of character twist in Lau.. don't know whether that follows/is better set up in the manga but that was unexpected and I was really shocked when he died too.. can't wait for next ep - am kind of glad that I left it a week to watch this one xD
Mar 10, 2009 3:35 PM

Feb 2009
Has anyone seen episode 21? It seems to be missing. Is it really this late being subbed or am I just not finding it?
LegendaryBandit A.K.A. Elbee

Mar 10, 2009 10:04 PM

Nov 2008
wasn't there like, pages of discussion for this episode before? I could have sworn I had already posted about episode 20...
Mar 12, 2009 3:29 PM
Jan 2009
Xephia said:
wasn't there like, pages of discussion for this episode before? I could have sworn I had already posted about episode 20...

Servers crashed so all the messages disappeared... Mine too. D:

Gosh, I can't even remember what I wrote previously. Sad episode and it really made me feel like the end is comingn near. Aberlin... Well, I think many of us knew how that would end up, in a anime like this for someone to get to live happily ever after is not likely.

I like the dark moments of Sebastian. I want to see more of them :D Not always being so falsely polite...
Mar 13, 2009 6:56 AM

Jul 2007
I definitely wrote here before also. Anyway. This episode really makes me question how the hell they plan on ending it, since it's so far away from manga already.. Poor Aberline. Well at least we got to hear Ranmao's voice in anime, it's a plus. X3
Need to make new sig. Soon. Maybe.
Mar 16, 2009 6:51 PM

Feb 2008
Geez, I cringe everytime Ciel slaps Sebastian. I just think it's so wrong to B-slap a demon.
Mar 22, 2009 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
God, all I had were goosebumps while watching this >< I especially loved the torture scenes xD

Anyways, this was pretty good. Never thought Lau'd be such a villain. Didn't understand the things he uttered about the butterfly though -__- And tears for Aberlin... twas good to see Ciel actually mourn. lol @ scowling Sebastian.
May 26, 2009 5:46 PM

Feb 2009
Hinata020 said:
Geez, I cringe everytime Ciel slaps Sebastian. I just think it's so wrong to B-slap a demon.

lol I think its funny XD

Good episode but Poor Aberlin I wish he didn't have to die D:!
Jun 2, 2009 6:33 PM

Jan 2008
Poor Aberlin I was about to cry but I was in the Library so I couldn't but I thought this was a good episode

I give it a 8/10 still feel bad for Aberlin though.
Jun 25, 2009 8:24 PM

Oct 2008
Aw, that was sad with Aberlin.

I can't help but laugh when Ciel slaps Sebastian.

Jul 10, 2009 4:50 PM

Aug 2008
Aberlin ;_;

Oh, I also enjoyed the torture scenes xDD

Jul 16, 2009 7:54 AM

Apr 2009
Stupid filler is stupid.
Still, I feel bad for Abby Dx He was so cool.
And was I the only one who didn't enjoy the torturing? o.O Angela is so stupid. And the anti-climax panties...>.>

But lastly...what the FUCK did they do to Lau? I hope he doesn't end like that in the manga cause he's my favourite character of Kuroshitsuji...
I think the best way to enjoy this (though without Lau it seems nearly impossible.) is to separate the anime and the manga completely. God, if I've known, I would've waited with reading the manga till I finished the anime x__X

I didn't get the butterfly crap AT ALL xD
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 16, 2009 1:31 PM

Jun 2009
When Sebastian said : ''I'm tired of my previous life, only knowing to eat. I only want my young master. I don't want anything besides him.'' he looked so handsome. I was like : awwww! ^__^
And watched that like 10 times. *goes to watch it again* :D
And I love this whole episode :3 it seemed that Sebastian was envious at the end, ne?
''Even if your throne crumbles and your shiny crown turns to rust. Even if the bodies pile up endlessly. Above the bottomless piles of corpses beside you as you lay softly down I will be, until I hear the words, check mate'' Sebastian Michaelis.
Aug 11, 2009 11:35 AM

Jan 2009
Fumiko said:
Aberlin ;_;

for me, this was like FMA all over again...

Aug 27, 2009 11:52 AM

Aug 2007
That butler, skating on a cannon ball.

Wow, suddenly there is character development for Sebastian? Totally surprised at his words there for a moment. If he ends up like that in the manga, I think I'd like this series even more.

Jeez, why did Lau have to be such a louse. Poor Aberlin. I like how he kind of appeared out of nowhere. poor guy. :( Wonder why Sebastian reiterated Ciel's words of Abelin?
Sep 22, 2009 3:16 PM

Jun 2008
As soon as Aberlin started talking about making the world a better place a couple episodes back, I predicted he was gonna die at some point. Then they showed some back story. So when he got stabbed, I was like, "Dammit Aberlin! Why did you go on the boat!?"
Oct 12, 2009 6:56 PM

Aug 2009
Ciel be pimpin, yo! Dat's da way ta smackah bitch! xD

I would have given anything to be in Angela's place during Sebastian's torture scenes

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Oct 12, 2009 7:35 PM
Oct 2009
This episode was amazing. I never thought I'd see Ciel express that much emotion.
Nov 2, 2009 2:19 AM

May 2009
that was sad with Aberlin,
Cenedess said:

agree what was that?
Nov 29, 2009 3:21 AM
Jul 2008
Cenedess said:
Stupid filler is stupid.
And was I the only one who didn't enjoy the torturing? o.O Angela is so stupid. And the anti-climax panties...>.>

Lmao! Anti-climax panties XD
Who's unclean now, Angela?
Dec 8, 2009 9:19 AM

Jul 2009
Alberline~~~SOB sob...i'll definitely miss u!U'll one of my fav characters!
I loved how ciel slapped sebastian...twice!!!XD
Dec 24, 2009 12:06 PM

Apr 2009
T.T I liked Aberlin T.T
Renege said:
Cenedess said:
Stupid filler is stupid.

Lmao! Anti-climax panties XD
Who's unclean now, Angela?
lol, i second that!
Dec 29, 2009 6:09 AM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
did anyone else find the scene where Ciel was cannonballing the ship epic? The music kept it going too XD And then the riding on a cannonball across the water, that was awesome, and then he lands on the ship and stomps a dudes face XD

And when Sebastian finally broke out, he ripped a dude in half XD

epic episode, its one of my favorites
-renn-Dec 29, 2009 6:13 AM
Jan 23, 2010 2:25 PM

Aug 2009
What the fuck!? The police man died? What the fuck is going to happen to his wife man? Damnit why did he have to die? Fuckk., he could have just throw a barrel to Lau or something, not act as a shield literally.

Okay so Sebastian was awesome in this episode. That right eye of Ciel sure is interesting. Also, WTF ANGELA IS ALIVE AND WAS WEARING SOME KIND OF WEIRD DRESS, LOL. Damn, wtf is going on? Also, Sebastian got double bitch slapped by Ciel, LMFAO.

Sebastian said he only wants Ciel's soul. Aaaa Yaoi senses tingling again. :3 Also, it would seem to be that Lau and Lan mao lost. Plus, I didn't expect te queen to invade the other countries aswell. Imperialism huh?
Mar 26, 2010 4:27 PM

Aug 2009
OMG! Loved this episode soooo much and I need to say it! I don't know what is the most powerful thing that made me fall in love with this series, but I'm Seriously lovestruck here! The gothic feeling, the hints of old English legends, the dark, eerie, weeping atmosphere, the odd, queer but brilliant characters like Grell and Undertaker, the young and tortured protagonist, the overprotective loyal battler that takes the place of a father figure, but holds a very dark side, cause he's a demon afterall so we can't know what his real thoughts might be or what he'll do next. Or the undescribable with words, opening and ending songs which do this show soooo much justice! I don't know which is more powerful, even just one thing alone is awesome enough, so surely alltogether made this my favourite anime so far!!!!!! No matter the weird fillers, or the non existing consistency in the storyline in some parts, only for the feeling that this gives me each time I watch it, this is a 20/10 anime for me. I hope and pray I will find more like this in the future!

PS: I know it's late to say but I just Looove the animation in the new opening, especially when the chorus starts with Grell and Sebastian! ooooh myyy *drools* :PPP
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Mar 31, 2010 8:36 AM

May 2009
Hinata020 said:

More than that, I wonder how he can even reach that high. The height difference is suddenly not so big when Ciel needs to slap Sebastian.

I still find Sebastian's smirk disturbing. And not just the intent behind the smile, but the actual smile. It looks... disturbing, there's no other word for it.
Apr 26, 2010 10:42 PM

Dec 2009
Elainna said:
Aberlin... Well, I think many of us knew how that would end up, in a anime like this for someone to get to live happily ever after is not likely.

Yeah. It started with the sudden focus on his character, the talk of him getting married, expecting a child but that followed by him promising to be Ciel's ally & sprouting off how committed he was to making the world a better place--I was absolutely certain things weren't going to end well for him. Kinda bummed. I rather liked Aberlin. (Though, gotta say, I'll be happy to never have to hear him called Abby again; that grated my nerves.)

Athena said:
I still find Sebastian's smirk disturbing. And not just the intent behind the smile, but the actual smile. It looks... disturbing, there's no other word for it.

I love the closed mouth smirk, but I wish he'd not do that open mouth smile thing he does. It just looks weird to me.

JusticeUndone said:
I don't know what is the most powerful thing that made me fall in love with this series, but I'm Seriously lovestruck here! The gothic feeling, the hints of old English legends, the dark, eerie, weeping atmosphere...

I know what you mean about the dark, gothic atmosphere. It's one of my absolute favorite things about this series.
OnyxEyes3Apr 26, 2010 10:46 PM
~Heart & Thoughts With Japan~

May 19, 2010 2:36 PM

Jan 2010
.-. the chick talked... FOR THE FIRST TIME
Angela...pisses me...the PHUCK OFF!!!! >.>
Ceil looked so adorable in those poor people clothes~ *.*
And Sebastien looked so cool when he was on the canon ball in the water~
Alberlin was a good man T.T and Lau I actually liked but he had to betray Earl >.>
R.I.P you two.
lol 2 slaps Sebastien. You gained TWO slaps xD
on the second one his expression read " Oh, you Beotch" xD
Also in the end I got scared by Sebastien's expression T.T
May 26, 2010 3:10 PM

Aug 2009
RIP Aberlain. Try thinking about your wife and kid next time please, one of the greatest foolish action you have made there.

I hope Lan wont disappears, he and his woman are unique characters imo.
Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Rodreth
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/rodreth/profile
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/Rodreth/
Night is the darkest just before the dawn.

Jun 8, 2010 1:18 AM

Feb 2010
SAD ending for aberlin... he had a family!
Jun 8, 2010 1:18 AM

Feb 2010
i wanted to see the fight between Ranmao and Sebastian
Jul 3, 2010 10:02 PM

Apr 2009
unholy_cat said:
that was sad with Aberlin,
Cenedess said:

agree what was that?

That's a famous ancient quote isn't is? About the man who dreamt he was a butterfly, or the butterfly that dreamt he was a man. It's just a philosophical thing, questioning how we see reality. Lao wanted to escape from harsh realities to his dreams, hence all the focus on opium. It was pretty fitting, though kind of over-used throughout the episode.

Jul 4, 2010 10:25 AM
Mar 2010
what's up with the queen srslY?!
Jul 27, 2010 10:26 PM

Jul 2010
haha cannonball surfing ftw. sad ending for aberlin though. really loving all the twists in this series.
Aug 13, 2010 12:02 PM

Aug 2009
It was painful to see Sebastian get whiped like that...

Aberlin ;_;

I love it when Ciel slaps Sebastian.. XD
Aug 13, 2010 12:02 PM

Aug 2009
It was painful to see Sebastian get whiped like that...

Aberlin ;_;

I love it when Ciel slaps Sebastian.. XD
Aug 24, 2010 6:29 PM

Jul 2009
aww... I liked Aberlin =[
Also, Ciel likes to slap Sebastian around, doesn't he? For some reason when Sebastian said "Yes, an idiot" to me it feels like he meant Ciel, not Aberlin.
Sep 4, 2010 10:24 PM
Sep 2010
THAT ANGELA IS A BITCHY WHORE.SHE IS A MOTHERFUCKING BITCH I WISH SHE WOULD BE DEVOURED BY PLUTO OR I WOULD JUST WHIP HER ON HER BREASTS MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA SHE WOULD KNOW THE FUCKING TASTE OF BEING TORTURED.

REMEMBER THAT ANGELA ISSS...... A WHORE
Sep 9, 2010 9:52 PM

Jun 2009
Ech Why did Angela have to come back :(

And why did Aberlain, Lau and Lan Mao all have to die? They were all awesome!

and why wont Angela stay dead?
Sep 14, 2010 1:09 AM

May 2008
Aberlain... you could've like, kicked Lau or something, but you thought stepping in front of a sword thrust would have better side effects? :/

I hate it when anime makes no sense like that.
Oct 4, 2010 12:30 PM

Feb 2010
Ugh Aberlain... nuuu... whyyyy... ;_ ;

I feel awful for his wife... and possibly unborn child.

Why did he feel the need to run infront of the sword? There are other ways!

JusticeUndone said:
I don't know what is the most powerful thing that made me fall in love with this series, but I'm Seriously lovestruck here! The gothic feeling, the hints of old English legends, the dark, eerie, weeping atmosphere...

This is EXACTLY one of the main reasons I'm enjoying this series. Gothic..dark.. feel is fantastic!
Oct 7, 2010 11:23 PM

May 2010
This ep was good but . . .

Nah, nevermind..
Nov 3, 2010 4:32 PM

Jul 2010
dammit, why did they kill Lau? :'(

he was my second favourite character
Nov 5, 2010 8:15 PM

Apr 2007
Bah it was so obvious that goody police guy was going to die, I was just waiting for it this whole episode. Not that I dislike him.
And that was a strange end for Lau. I'm not really sure what, but there's just something about it that I didn't like.
Nov 20, 2010 5:54 AM

Jun 2009
Ah, I knew Aberlin would die. He had to, for the sake of drama. Still, I feel sort of bad since I liked his character (Well, they have killed pretty much everyone I liked...) and Lau, too.

Angela is extremely despicable. Not even her voice sounded forceful or crazy enough when she was whipping Sebastian. And her clothing...

Sebastian seemed jealous at the last moment. I guess part of him left Aberlin to die due to his nature of being a demon, and also because he said he didn’t want anyone to take the place of protecting his master. Aberlin happened to try to take that position, offering help to Ciel and shielding him; and Sebastian knew Ciel would be safe and Aberlin would die, and so getting rid of him. ‘A person who has other things to worry about (like family) shouldn’t be risking his life for his young master.’

I look forward to the next episode.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Dec 2, 2010 6:27 PM

Dec 2009
I am sooooo happy. And, it's because the true series that I got hooked into and feel in "metaphorical love" is back! A perfect ending theme, a more refined and plotting Ciel, Sebastian acutely [possibly] caring for Ciel, no more fillers [no matter if they are pretty good], lots of action once again, and just so much other things. Oh, and Ciel finally called Sebastian back from London Tower. That makes me happy. They are an awesome team in this series and need each other to get things done ;3;

Oh, and I loved the quote: "I work in the shadows, and you work in the light. We walk opposite paths, Abberline". Pretty awesome Ciel <3

Anyways, to the episode. I love the flow of this episode this time around. Sebastian and Ciel falling and then riding the canon ball to Lau's ship was such good composition. You could easily follow your eyes across the screen. But, Abberline! You just became friends with Ciel and you got killed defending Ciel. So noble and awesome. I am very sad for him because even though it probably for dramatic sense, he did such a awesome thing. However - he did do a very heart felt and sad music speech about family. But, hmmmmm - Sebastian. You looked mad that Abberline defended Ciel. What were you thinking I wonder?
Dec 11, 2010 8:20 AM
Jul 2010
R.I.P. Alberlain.
I liked the guy... And I was sad that he died. But Ciel is right. He was an idiot. Why care more about a kid you're not related to than your soon-to-be wife and your own kid? He should have thought about them before stepping in front of that sword.

Anyway, what's up with Angela's outfit? I never thought she was dead so I was expecting her to appear sooner or later. I still haven't abandoned the idea that Angela and Ash are actually the same person. But that outfit was just stupid. o.o
Dec 18, 2010 2:07 PM

Mar 2010
I knew they were going to kill Aberlin. As soon as he said he was getting married I thought, "Aww crap, either he's going to die or his wife's going to be killed and he's going to lose it." I was dreading it the whole time. Dude, guy had a preggers wife-to-be and he just--GUH. But I guess I'm still more sad than angry. I freaking cried my eyes out.

So I totally couldn't get into that last bit of butterfly crap with Lau and Ranmao. I wanted them to get off the screen so poor Aberlin could have his last bit of screentime.

GAAAAAH Why did Aberlin have to die?!?!?!?! He and Finny are, like, the only characters in this whole show that I like to the point of not being able to handle them dying! TT^TT (If Finny dies later, please don't tell me, I don't want to know...)
That which does not kill us... still hurts like bloody hell.
Gee, thanks, Nietzsche.
Jan 6, 2011 10:18 PM

Jun 2010
I hope Ciel gives Aberlain's girlfriend a hand, now that she's a single mother. Poor Aberlain... baka indeed!

For Sebastian to say that he's lonely, amazing! I thought he was just enjoying his time, playing with Ciel until their contract expired. I hope we get to see something of his past.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2011 10:20 PM

Jun 2010
Anisamar said:
...Not even her voice sounded forceful or crazy enough when she was whipping Sebastian. And her clothing...

Just what I thought. They hardly even needed her for that scene.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 25, 2009

98 by Sun_Chan »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Favorite Servant?

RuuryMercury - Jun 24, 2015

4 by Sun_Chan »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 17, 2009

85 by Sun_Chan »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 9, 2009

70 by Sun_Chan »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Nov 23, 2008

115 by Sun_Chan »»
Yesterday, 11:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.