Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Witchcraft Works
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2014 10:57 AM

Jun 2012
I remember reading the first couple of chapters for this a while back when it was just starting to get translated.
Jan 5, 2014 12:12 PM

Nov 2013
I liked the animation and the action but the characters seem kind of bland. Especially those rabbits were interesting. It could be interesting so i want to see where they are going with this.
At this point I can't tell if it's supposed to be funny or if it's trying to do something semi-serious .
Jan 5, 2014 1:10 PM

Sep 2013
It was a decent 7/10 start. I probably won't drop.
Jan 5, 2014 1:38 PM

Nov 2008
Good to finally see this manga adapted to an anime now I just hope they stay loyal to the manga ~

Takuan_Soho said:
While one should not judge a series from one episode, I really cannot see how this show will prove to be worth anything.

Typical harem setting. Average boring guy has most popular girl in the school defending him. Oh, of course she is a witch, and uses her magic to accomplish this, fighting off other female witches (one in this episode, five implied by the ending) to protect him. Of course we already know that these other witches, upon defeat, will fall in love with the MC despite him not really doing anything to deserve this.

And it isn't like a harem comic will automatically turn me off (though most do); ToLoveRu is so well drawn, and has such interesting characters that one can appreciate it, however this show doesn't have these benefits. Of course the main MC female has huge breasts, but the animation is so inferior that far from being attractive, all one can think when seeing them is: "god, the animators really are trying to stoke the moe feeling".

The only positive thing I can say about this animation is that yesterday I was tempted to buy the manga because I like magical themes (long boring story behind this), but upon seeing this first episode, this desire has been quenched. This show doesn't deserve any interest; thank you for saving me 30 bucks.

First out of the gate for this cour, first to be dropped (though I always watch 3 episodes no matter how what I think, but I really can't see this series saving itself).

except.. its not a harem so .. uh ya long ramble for nothing.
Jan 5, 2014 3:08 PM

Aug 2013
I really wasn't expect to like this but I was pleasantly surprised. The characters were superb, it was action packed with some funny moments and even some sad ones too. oh..... and those bunnys :)

I wouldn't say this is perfect but it sure is off to a great start, can't wait for the next episode now.

8/10
WimJan 5, 2014 3:12 PM
Jan 5, 2014 3:23 PM
Jul 2018
This episode is pretty good.

The actions weren't that bad at all.

The male main character, Takamiya was okay type.

Poor Takamiya, he was being disliked by the students.

Jan 5, 2014 3:29 PM

Jul 2010
That was awesome :D both of main characters seem pretty interesting, and fight scenes were really good.Too many witches are being introduced in first episode tho, but well ill live with it.
For now i really cant wait for next episode =)

btw. Opening was amazing.That fhana ♥
Jan 5, 2014 4:29 PM

Aug 2013
He introduced himself as Takamiya Honoka at the beginning, and I was like "Huh, that's kind of a girly sounding name for a MC."

Then she tied his tie into a pretty bow and started calling him "princess" and I lost it. XD
Jan 5, 2014 5:44 PM

Jan 2008
Well this show appears to have the most generic start.

I hope the students at the school stop being so clinging, it's really annoying.
Jan 5, 2014 6:16 PM

Jan 2012
Pretty damn good. I wasn't expecting much from this show but color me surprised.

Jan 5, 2014 6:23 PM

Nov 2012
This is most the most entertaining anime of all the new ones that aired today.
Jan 5, 2014 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty funny, MC isn't that bad and catchy ED. Gonna keep watching.
Keep moving forward
Jan 5, 2014 6:46 PM

Jul 2012
Off to a good start as far as I'm concerned, it had some funny parts too.
Jan 5, 2014 6:47 PM

Apr 2012
I'm not sure if i liked this, i mean, the animation was good, and i'm curious to know why she calls him "hime" and why is she protecting him, but i don't really like neither of the main characters, the guy was always letting the other girls and guy bully him without doing anything, and the witch girl acted like a emotionless robot...maybe i'll watch the second episode to decide if i'll keep watching it.
Jan 5, 2014 7:25 PM

Dec 2007
AtomicWeed said:
I'm not sure if i liked this, i mean, the animation was good, and i'm curious to know why she calls him "hime" and why is she protecting him, but i don't really like neither of the main characters, the guy was always letting the other girls and guy bully him without doing anything, and the witch girl acted like a emotionless robot...maybe i'll watch the second episode to decide if i'll keep watching it.

When everyone in the entire school bullies you though..what can you do really? I don't really see that as a character fault for the MC. He doesn't strike me as a coward, not yet anyway.
Jan 5, 2014 7:54 PM

Jul 2013
All I can say is the ending was too God damn CUTE!!!! Cathy song too...

The character design reminds me of Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, the girls are too muscular.. and look at those boobs!! Such unreal size that you'd normally see on hentai anime..

Overall the concept isn't that original or groundbreaking but entertaining enough to watch.. it'd be the Yozakura Quartet of this season (probably).
Jan 5, 2014 8:11 PM

Apr 2013
That was great
I love the art. The two MCs are interesting to say at the least
Will keep watching
Jan 5, 2014 8:21 PM
Aug 2013
It seems pretty interesting so far, I absolutely loved that the MC accepted everything so quickly and it gave a very nice quick flow to the episode, but he might seem too boring for us who like that over hyped fucker as a MC.

I often get extremly annoyed with the jealous classmates but it was amazing for once to see the females get angry and they had some hilarious voice actors that fit their characters perfectly.

Really nice episode though, I like the universe it's in, the music is pretty decent, the art is great and the animation is nice. I'm looking foward for more though!
Jan 5, 2014 8:40 PM

Jun 2012
That was entertaining. Not particularly liking the mains but not despising them either, and I had a fun time watching this so I guess I'll keep watching for now

I must say that ED was really catchy.
Jan 5, 2014 9:19 PM

Aug 2012
Absolutely no mention of the Kuroko easter egg yet? For shame.
Jan 5, 2014 10:52 PM

Aug 2012
Fucking Obama kun lmao
Jan 5, 2014 10:59 PM

May 2013
CGI sure must help studios
Jan 5, 2014 11:04 PM
Jun 2013
Love the first episode. Funny and fast-paced. Hoping for the mc to get stronger later on. Need more of Obama-kun.
Jan 5, 2014 11:08 PM

Apr 2010
Dat ED

They really went HAM on the flame animation didn't they? I like that.

Jan 6, 2014 1:17 AM

Jan 2009
Thoughts:
2:18 yuri foreshadowing? :D

2:26 eh, im a guy and even I think her boobs are too big. Proportional > gigantic

2:53 students should really put locks on their lockers cuz people can just enter it and put thumb tacks in ur shoes or something

3:31 wtf… group of girls bullying a guy. That's first time I've seen that

5:57 freaky stuffed animal bunny with weird message… I'll have to try that one day

7:33 some intense bunny fighting

9:21 instead of talking inside a circle of fire, they should try and get out of it first, then talk lol

15:01 princess says 'look at my wiener' lol

18:07 omg, swords through boobs

-------------------
Overall:
1. Awesome opening, especially the part where she sings "tatoe sekaijuu ga teki ni natte". That’s just me lol

2. I don't like the ending song but for some reason, it's very catchy. i hate myself for liking it

3. As a guy, I like girls who can lead

4. Music, graphics, voice acting are very good in this series. Story and character have yet to be seen.

5. The series seems ok for now. It's not like I'll watch the 1st episode 10 times. But I'll stick around cuz there's nothing else to watch atm. & I can understand about 50% of the spoken japanese surprisingly. 6/10 for episode 1.
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 6, 2014 2:23 AM

Oct 2013
Hmm, don't know where to start, but ok, entertaining. Ah, no, I don't see it as a harem, but who knows...
Jan 6, 2014 2:26 AM
Sep 2013
I'm the fcking freaking ownly one who is SO IRRITATED that she ( Ayaka Kagari ) is so tall ???? >.<
Jan 6, 2014 3:20 AM
Feb 2012
- I'm not exactly a fan of shows with such a weak and boring-looking male MC. So that part for sure will rub me the wrong way for quite some while
- It's funny how the female MC has nearly the same face structure as the male one. Way to go, J.C. Staff
- Seeing a bunny in armor has something, I admit. Feels weird and original enough to keep me entertained
- Cat girl's seiyuu is killing my ears mercilessly
- Aaand the harem arrives at the end. At least they don't lose any time in that regard
- That ED was...interesting to say the least

All in all a fun episode. The visuals were alright, the seiyuu correctly chosen for the most part, and it just had the right amount of mystery to keep me wondering what will happen next.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 6, 2014 4:16 AM

Nov 2012
Was an okay first episode I guess, finding the main girl a bit boring and others as well, only real cool thing I liked was the name of the show. :P He, I'll stick around and see how it goes.

Jan 6, 2014 4:25 AM

Aug 2013
Thank God this saved me almost a lot of fall anime are bad :")
Loved the episode ..... she is a bit tall I guess lol?

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Jan 6, 2014 5:01 AM

Feb 2011
If only that CG wasn't so bad this series would be awesome.

Didn't knew J.C Staff is making this tbh
Jan 6, 2014 6:29 AM
Dec 2012
Kuudere plus Yandere?
Jan 6, 2014 8:03 AM

Nov 2008
Personally I enjoyed this episode more than I thought I would, since I didn't expect much from it. Overall rather enjoyable.

Love that ED, so catchy and the animation is cute lol
Jan 6, 2014 10:44 AM

Jun 2010
Wow, that was so bad.

Lame plot. Lame characters. I don't even know what was that supposed to be. Is it supposed to be funny? That was so generic there's nothing new at all.

I don't get how is everyone saying that "that wasn't a bad start" because that was boring as hell. Is it perhaps because I don't read the original material? I seriously don't know what to expect next. It wasn't funny so I suppose it's gonna be centered around battle scenes? But the battle was so fuckin lame...

Also that main character was weird as hell. First time he saw that bunch of weird robots and a girl burning everything around her yet he ask why the hell did she save him? Holy shit. The girl didn't even mention one bit about herself and in the end scene she said that the new transfer students were "also" witches.

Well, I guess I'll just check the next ep to see what is this about.
Jan 6, 2014 1:27 PM

May 2013
Xeynaroth said:
I just don't get why she's so popular o.O

What you fail to realize as an observer is that she is really popular with the girls. I would even dare to say that Obama-kun is not really an admirer of Kagari, he does the girls grunt work to get closer to them.

Also, it is not that Kagari does not have a personality, she is the strong silent type, which lets her enemies do all the talking and then kicks their butts.
mangamuscleJan 6, 2014 2:19 PM
Jan 6, 2014 2:00 PM

Mar 2012
Xeynaroth said:
Am I the only one who thinks its weird that Kagari is so popular, she doesnt look good at all !
Way too tall, I mean she's taller than the guys...

and whats wrong with a tall girl being even taller than a guy huh? some people actually love tall women

Anyway the first episode might seem a bit like a cliche gir is populer, guy gets beaten up for talking to her, saving the main characters life from some enemy because he is 'special' a romance starts to form etc... but hey it was still an enjoyable episode and u cant judge a series by the first ep alone so my actuall review on the series ill come a bit later
Jan 6, 2014 4:48 PM

Oct 2013
Even though generic/cliche(call it whatever you wish) I still found it enjoyable enough for a first episode.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Jan 6, 2014 6:00 PM

Mar 2012
Dem killer bunnehs. Pretty good episode, looks like this will be an interesting anime.
Jan 6, 2014 6:46 PM

Nov 2012
"You are my princess after all."
http://imgur.com/cYI2DzW

Surprisingly good considering I was planning to drop this.This might actually be the season's hidden gem.
VanishingKiraJan 6, 2014 6:49 PM
Jan 6, 2014 9:10 PM

May 2013
I know it's a cliche start, but I couldn't help but enjoy it. The MC was funny with his comments but annoyed me a little when she saved him from being stabbed and he said that he'll believe in her no matter what. Although, it makes sense he would act that way due to him being anti-social.
VanishingKira said:
"You are my princess after all."
http://imgur.com/cYI2DzW
I laughed way longer than I should have when she called him princess.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Jan 6, 2014 9:21 PM

Oct 2013
Well it was cute and enjoyable. Hasn't really caught my interest too much but will keep following the series anyway.
Jan 6, 2014 9:59 PM

Jul 2010
Is this Maburaho?

Anyway, seems like I will enjoy it nonetheless.
Jan 7, 2014 12:24 AM

Aug 2013
Ugh. Jealous bitches are annoying. The rest was good enough for me to continue this.
Jan 7, 2014 1:26 AM

Apr 2012
Kagari is the man of the relationship lel.
Guess i'll give this anime another episode

Jan 7, 2014 2:09 AM

Oct 2012
Calling the guy a princess and master by a fire witch. Hmmm was the guy a princess in his past life in a world of magic?

guessing from the OP, the guy is some powerful Wizard. The part where he is dress in white. Though the fire witch hat looks a bit weird on her.

And what happen to the hair question!? Saying that out of nowhere is already awkward, they didn't even provide an answer. Are we suppose to accept that she is made of fire that she can't get burn herself, and that she can't get hurt physically!? then why even bring it up in the first place!

The battle scene is where I have to insert my logic in to make more sense. It was shown that the battle with the first two metal bunny knights, that her flame only knock them back ( make sense since metal are durable), but of course the knights might be made of magical property. Then all of a sudden, the army got scorched on the first shot. is it because the fire spell cast is a more powerful, the area of ignition, or the flame intensity? Also What form did the cat girl took?

Think I am just gonna read the Manga.

needalistJan 7, 2014 2:43 AM
Jan 7, 2014 4:30 AM

Aug 2013
i felt like reading a manga when watching this. so flat
Jan 7, 2014 4:59 AM
Dec 2012
LOL, i don't even know what to feel about this anime yet.
Jan 7, 2014 7:03 AM
Apr 2013
I thought it was wonderful so far! Love the character designs and how the gender roles were flipped on their heads.

I also love the lesbian fanclub lol.
Jan 7, 2014 7:48 AM

Mar 2013
I enjoyed the series. Looking for more next week.
Maybe I'll pick up the manga for the mean time.
Jan 7, 2014 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
THE ENDING!!!
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

56 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2014

49 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 10:47 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2014

84 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

88 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:15 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

118 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 23, 12:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.