Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

What are your thoughts on Golden Time anime and what couple you support most?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 7, 2014 4:06 AM
Sep 2013
i'm on linda x banri.
Mar 7, 2014 8:07 AM
Nov 2010
Koko x Banri

Frankly this show has been a train wreck in my eyes. Maybe my expectations were too high from the start.

The pacing is so far off that there are many episodes where you can watch the first and last 5 minutes of an episode and not miss much. In most cases the time in between has very little, if any, character or story development - it just seems to be a series of either realizations or dramatic events with a boring slice of life in between.

None of the main characters resonate with me and they really haven't given any reason why we should care about them in the first place. It's mainly a pity party all around. The time that the show felt the most genuine was when Koko confronted Banri in his room and he confessed his past to her - but then the very next episode was the return to the same old song and dance.

I haven't read the LN, but I would be interested in how the readers would compare the two formats and whether it's an issue of the actual story content or the direction of the anime that's the problem. Toradora was a great LN and the anime followed it very closely (minus the end where the LN hadn't finished before the anime did) so both content and direction where there.

btw, in this last episode (Ep 21) I can assume that Koko is just trying to distance herself from Banri to avoid hurting him in the future - but the previews seem to show that this won't last long and things will go back to how they once were.

I really wanted to like this, really I did, but after so many flaky episodes I couldn't force myself to believe anymore that this was a great show.
Mar 7, 2014 9:11 AM

Oct 2010
Hitokiri_Ace said:
Linda and Banri is what I would hope for.. if I thought there was any hope.

It's more likely to end with Koko and Banri. Which is disappointing.
People seem to see Linda's stand-off approach to Banri losing his memories as something detestable. It could also be that she doesn't want to stress his already fragile mind by making him feel guilt over forgetting her.

I think that they get along better together, and seem a lot less fake. "Banri~~~!, Koko~~~!" Just comes off as very immature, and not very real.

The fact Banri mentions that if his current self get's swallowed up by his memories.. that he would worry for Koko, being alone. How long was she alone after that Mitsuo breakup? You know.. the guy she was "destined" to marry? -.-"

It's obvious to me who loves Banri more, even if she won't come out and say it. Doesn't it makes sense though? It's really interesting that the majority of people seem to like Koko more, when she's such a.. problem character.

Remember how quickly she switched from Mitsuo to Banri to begin with? Does that feel like a mature, or enduring love? Not to me. Maybe I'm just getting too old to appreciate such 1 night stand sort-of pairings.

She's controlling, abusive, and her stalker tendencies are very troubling. She almost choked out Nana for discovering her bad habits.. and lies to Banri about nearly everything. The fake break-up.. the food she "made" for him.. What she was doing with Nana, and what the "Exorcist" is.

Frankly, Linda may be hiding her true feelings.. but that's a lot better than Koko's incessant lies, and abusive yandere tendencies.

The main characters kinda suck. The show, in whole, doesn't come near what Toradora or other great romance animes had.
Firstly, the anime doesn't do Koko's switch from Mitsuo to Banri any justice. In the LN, she explains that she had been having feelings for Banri for a while but didn't want to accept his confession right away because her feelings for Mitsuo were genuine. She wanted to have enough time to get over Mitsuo completely, and then confess to Banri herself, but when he said he would no longer wait, she was forced to act quicker than she had wanted to. Her feelings for both were/are most definitely real.

Secondly, Koko isn't an incessant liar, she's one of the most open characters on the show. We can't comment on the break up yet because we don't know for certain what's going on, the food she made for him was one tiny and rather irrelevant circumstance, and hiding what the exorcist was out of embarrassment isn't exactly detrimental to their relationship. She's a far more honest person than Linda is so I don't see how you can say she lies to Banri about nearly everything, when she's shown that she's far more open with Banri than Linda has ever been. She's matured over the series and isn't a stalker or a yandere anymore, and to think she was ever abusive is extreme, she was just very forward and blunt, not abusive.

I can give a list of all the ways in which Linda has lied and demonstrated her dishonesty time and time again, and they far outweigh Koko's apparent incessant lies. koko admits when she has problems and confronts them. Linda never does and always hides the issue. She has serious problems with saying how she feels, and that has made her as much of a problem character as Koko has been.
Madara31Mar 7, 2014 9:22 AM
Mar 7, 2014 12:50 PM

May 2009
Hitokiri_Ace said:
Remember how quickly she switched from Mitsuo to Banri to begin with? Does that feel like a mature, or enduring love? Not to me. Maybe I'm just getting too old to appreciate such 1 night stand sort-of pairings.

She's controlling, abusive, and her stalker tendencies are very troubling. She almost choked out Nana for discovering her bad habits.. and lies to Banri about nearly everything. The fake break-up.. the food she "made" for him.. What she was doing with Nana, and what the "Exorcist" is.

Frankly, Linda may be hiding her true feelings.. but that's a lot better than Koko's incessant lies, and abusive yandere tendencies.

We are already past episode 21... Post like this isn't exeggaration, it's outright lie or poster stupidity.
Mar 7, 2014 1:18 PM
Jan 2013
I think that the whole amnesia thing just ruin the whole entire second half because Banri just turn into a freaking coward because of it but still love the anime and I also support Koko x Banri
Mar 7, 2014 11:11 PM
Dec 2013
GOLDEN TIME WAS MADE FOR the pleasure of BRATTY KIDS.

Jason had 2 babies, a wife, families and friends in China. He worked at an orphanage since he was 18 years old and was very happy.
At 25 years old he made a trip in Australia and got into a severe accident and got amnesia. He found a sexy girl and a couple of new friends and he does not want to remember his past because he is enjoying his time with his new girlfriend. That's SELFISH and illogical.

Any sane person would still try to learn about their past. it is not either white or black, you can accept both your past and your present and then choose what you prefer from each life ( but be responsible for the choices).

Your personality has been built on your history, your culture, your language, your parents' upbringing, your friends' influences, your exams at school, your birthdays, your choices, your achievements, your failures, the love from your family and friends and mostly on your LIFE EXPERIENCES (over the years)

Banri is a coward p*ssy. He did not have a traumatic childhood that he wants to forget. He just want to have fun with his new girlfriend in the present and take no responsibility from his past. He does not care about the feelings of his friends and families from 2 years ago. That's some selfish and illogical shit.

You need to know your principles, your pains and joy from the past, the lessons learned from your mistakes. If not you are just a kid in a man's body. Why you love so much pork ramen? may be because that's you mom's special dish. Why do you cherish justice so much? may be because your brother was wrongly jailed for 7 years. Why do you have a phobia of snakes? may be you were bitten when you were a kid.

You are not your past. You are what you choose to be in the present. But how can you know where you want to go in the future if you don't know from where you come from?

PS: KOKO suffers from BPD. Google hallmark of Borderline Personality Disorder.
Mar 8, 2014 4:32 AM

Feb 2014
And as usual we have idiotic Linda fans praising even her indecisiveness/stupidity /immaturity

It's funny and pathetic at the same time
Mar 8, 2014 9:15 AM

Oct 2013
The thing is while Golden Time is a good romantic anime, when compared to Toradora it fails short, which is understandable because not so often things click story and execution wise.

GT could benefited more from better execution / direction - some scenes looked flat - boring camera angles, off -time comedy parts, pacing issues - some episodes were full of drama - in others nothing really happened, lack of hints and foreshadowing in the first 6-7 episodes that left some people scratching their heads about what was the character motivation for their actions, maybe not showing that much the Ghost Banri and let him narrate instead (the manga used that trick at least from what I read so far) - most of the impression towards the Ghost is result of his never changing facial expression which looked psychotic.

The main theme is getting over the past, acknowledging it, accepting it and moving on. The story itself is fine, albeit the amnesia plot does raise some eyebrows by being overused everywhere, but in the end nothing is original. Characters and their motivation / interaction is what carries shows like this. If it was done better in the anime I could brush over some of the execution probs that i mentioned, but still it's solid. Not the best around but enjoyable for the most part. Could it be done better - absolutely. The Manga is a proof of that (nevertheless it is still far from being over and who knows if it will wrap the whole story up).

I'm fine with Kouko x Banri.
lijenstinaMar 8, 2014 9:32 AM
Cemeteries are full of past winners.

Hypocrisy is about being your own marketing department.
Mar 8, 2014 10:26 AM
Mar 2014
I root for Linda and tada-kun

Alltho Linda really doesnt shows anny emotion, it means only a bigger explosion if she confesses!

- looking forward to it! -
Mar 8, 2014 11:44 AM

May 2009
drakenflos said:
Alltho Linda really doesnt shows anny emotion, it means only a bigger explosion if she confesses!

- looking forward to it! -

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Mar 8, 2014 12:38 PM

Oct 2009
From the start I support Kaga x Banri though their all love story was pushed ridiculously forward so you really can't say how and when they are boyfriend - girlfriend (someone wrote in X episode discussion posts, that in manga is otherwise, we see how their relationship is "building" so you can enjoy how they love grow up). But I don't care. I like Kaga from the beginning. (21 episode does not matter LOL)

you tellin me mangas aint japanese colouring books
Aug 2, 2020 4:09 AM

Apr 2020
first half is fun
second half is not enjoyable
the main trios are all trash

Aug 4, 2020 7:01 AM

Apr 2020
Main couple was the most annoying i've ever seen by far.

Nana is the best girl, but she had no pair in the serie.

I supported Linda x Banri, but the "short-haired childhood friend feature" would never work for her.
P-edroAug 4, 2020 7:07 AM
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Oct 28, 2020 8:49 PM
Oct 2020
The only character I really hate in Koko she really toxic she go through his mail and breaks into his home. She was just loving the other guy now she randomly has feelings for Baniri I couldn’t tell if she was being serious. Bantu is toxic too u could tell he started falling out of love and it was hard to watch, I have spoilers though Linda and Bantu end up together,which is reasonable. Lastly I hate how selfish Koko is.
Feb 17, 2021 8:44 PM
Dec 2013
This is probably my favorite anime of all time. It also has one of the most unsatisfying endings ever. In the midnight hour it abandoned what made it a great show. The dynamic between the 5 friends and ratcheted up the drama to insane levels. It honestly needed a 25th episode for closure.

I love this show because it did real romance with college aged adults. Loved Koko as the main character and her evolution through the show. She is such a fascinating character. Her evolution was somewhat subtle because as the show went on her antics were dialed back but she was such an emotionally unstable character in the beginning and she actually did soften and stabilize by the end. Her friendship with Chinami was heartwarming. I honestly wish the anime would have further displayed how Koko changed because while it was on display it wasn't really a focus.

Banri was one of the weaker aspects of the show. 2D-Kun probably could have been better developed as well. The show was at it's best when it was the 5 friends hanging out and at it's worst when it was about Banri and his memories.

Not sure how the light novels ended but the anime abandoned many plot threads at the end and just laser focused on Koko and Banri.
Jul 19, 2021 5:05 PM
Dec 2018
Nana was my favorite character. I also think the Banri and Koko were the best match. Banri and Linda could have worked, but then the show would have over in two episodes.

IRL these these things happen. A 30sec long incident can change lives forever. Banri could not have been fully functioning until the very end. So of course his actions and reactions would be skewed and irrational through most of this show.
Jul 20, 2021 6:14 AM
Jul 2021
I didnt liked it. 5/10
5 for kaga only
-5 for the horribly written main character
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

891 by Nikmomo93 »»
May 6, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

290 by Profitgang »»
May 5, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2014

268 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 30, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2013

223 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 24, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2013

430 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 20, 12:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.