Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 7, 2014 3:46 AM

Apr 2008
Disappointing but I guess people who love flashy action ate up the slop just fine.
Jan 7, 2014 6:17 PM

Sep 2011
Very good. Thought it would be much worse.
Jan 9, 2014 12:51 AM
Mar 2012
It's one of very few cg animes I enjoy. I applaud their great effort into pushing character animation, vfx, and properly pacing/adapting the battle strategy & plot from manga.

As the rare show that balances plot, comedy, & action, I'll definitely remember Moses, Deathstar, & ninja teddy.
Jan 9, 2014 3:46 AM

Oct 2012
Oh Iona, she just said "You look pathetic" wtih straight face
Well, that ends well...
But what's Admirality code really is
And there's too many mysteries in here unsolved
I guess I'll read the manga

Afterall good series, they could make it longer & not diverged from manga..
Oh well, looks like the rating doesn't agree

End card... Kantai x Arpeggio??

Gr33ncar said:
The kind side of Kongou reminds me so much of C.C. !!!!

Well *cough* Yukana *cough
"Signature removed"
Jan 9, 2014 9:23 AM

Nov 2010
The last naval battle was grand with a raging teddy bear making me laugh
Then it switched to a one on one beat um up on the death star?!?

It ended kind emo, but it was still good considering the amount of action that has been presented

Like Freezing Vibration it tried to end with love and peace

More Takao if this continues
Jan 9, 2014 8:38 PM

Jun 2007
This ending was good but felt very rushed and not to mention sad. We're left with what seems like a happy ending but it's pretty clear what will happen once that vibrating missile is mass produced. The new enemy will be mankind which will hunt down the Fog who are only now learning about feelings and "connections". I feel like if they do make a second season we'll be confronted with that very issue.
Jan 12, 2014 12:19 PM

Jan 2013
A deus ex machina ending... A bit disappointing for an anime that impressed me with its earlier episodes.
Jan 17, 2014 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
It was an ok ending. Nothing special that hasn't been done before.

Series Breakdown
+Interesting and unique story
+Great characters
+Iona is adorable
+/-CGI
-So many questions remain
-Ending was just ok
Final rating: 7.5/10
Not sure if i'm giving this a 7 or 8. (Oh how I wish MAL had increments of .5 in the ranking system)
Jan 19, 2014 8:31 AM

Jan 2012
in some ways this was an 8 but decided to give it a solid 7 but tbh its more of a lower end 8 all around the animation was great, characters well fleshed out, in fact i hope there is a second season just so we get some more back story and answer some questions, fight scenes were well done, CGI i got used to pretty much after a few episodes..... the last 2-3 eps were actually the weakest for me, cant put my finger on it, but i think i just enjoyed the first half of the show a lot more.... but nonetheless i would defintely re-watch a second series, hope they get it!
Jan 26, 2014 7:16 AM
Sep 2010
did i-401 merged version go back to just a reuglar i-401 at the end? ;'(
Feb 24, 2014 5:42 AM

Mar 2013
This anime deserves to have a season 2 it rocks actually the visuals,battles,characters,everything on it rocks 9/10 for me looking forward to season 2...
Mar 13, 2014 6:30 AM

Sep 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
What a nice episode, though I can imagine a few whiners, the ending actually had been building to this conclusion from the first episode.

Agree.
It was evident with Kongou's personality changing within each and every episode.
Mar 25, 2014 4:42 AM
Nov 2012
Apr 5, 2014 2:24 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing ending,finally Kongou got changed with help if Iona and her hope.
Great fight as always.Glad that everything finished in a good way,Takao got back her body :D Haruna & Maki & Teddy are happy too :) Everyone is happy and the missle is in USA :D
Great ending,will give it 10/10.
Will wait for 2nd season,this anime deserves it.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 7, 2014 11:19 AM

May 2012
Pretty lovely ending I must say! The overall show was pretty lovely but I couldn't look past the CGI which bothered me this whole show and really made it look bad for me at least.

The overall characters and story development were pretty lovely and the ending did finish the main plot so all by all it is a pretty decent anime but with the CGI that I dislike the score sure diminishes to a 6/10.
Apr 12, 2014 12:40 PM
May 2012
A last episode full of action and a heartwarming ending.
I'm glad to see that they're all happy and having fun.
I am happy for Kongou, she is now alive :)
Well, I was really bored by the first few episodes of this Anime but I started to enjoy it when Makie appeared.
I must say that the use of CGI for the characters made them look weird when they are moving and I didn't like that, though I like the character design of the girls.
The use of CGI for the battle scenes were really good and awesome, I like it.
I really like the 2 ending songs and the insert song during Takao's sacrifice scene. The opening song was cool too.
A season 2 would be nice, or they can start again and follow the Manga's story.
I will read the Manga soon, and I am prepared to see the changes.$
I enjoyed this Anime, thank you ^^
Jun 6, 2014 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
I was surprised i liked it so much i thought it would dissapoint me at first,the end is good but there are so many questions left unanswered...i would love a second season revealing more about the fog and such.8/10
Jul 4, 2014 10:45 PM

Jan 2012
pretty good CGI compared to what I've seen...

9/10 sound/music

9/10 sfx

6/10 plot

6/10 character + development

8/10 enjoyment <- only score that matters imho

will watch 2nd season....
Jul 5, 2014 8:54 AM

Mar 2013
Surprisingly good show and just goes to show that even if you deviate from the source material you can still make a good show, CGI didn't bother me either so a good 8/10 for a soild show.

Sep 3, 2014 9:25 PM

Sep 2013
A pretty mediocre series but I did find some enjoyment watching this. 6/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Sep 28, 2014 1:26 AM

Jul 2008
Well everything worked out in the end and Kongo joined the team somewhat. Overall it was okay. Great action, and one of the oddest harems I have seen.

6/10
Nov 14, 2014 8:54 PM

Feb 2013
Friendship saves the day!

Iona and Kongo in-person fight is still amazing.
Dec 9, 2014 8:11 PM

Feb 2013
Takao is back! She has her body back! I hope for another season.They delivered the vibration warhead. I thought for a second that they were going to use that to defeat Kongou. Looks like Kongou is good? Or at least nerutral. So I am guessing they're other ships like them? They has to be more ships from the Fog Fleet. So Maya is gone? Great episode.

CGI isn't as bad as I thought. Although there is room for improvement.

There's a compilation movie coming out and after that a sequel movie. I hope at the end of the movie sequel they announce a second season. If not then I'll just read the manga.
Nano1124Dec 9, 2014 8:17 PM
Dec 29, 2014 7:25 AM

Oct 2013
meh! meh! meh! 6/10
nanofate fan
konata x kagami fan
Feb 25, 2015 3:36 AM

Jan 2008
"Where do we come from?
What are we?
Where are we going?"

Kinda wish they answered the first one, but I guess the answer they gave was that it doesn't matter.. they are who they are now. :)

Wish this was a full 24 epi series, but oh well. <3
Apr 9, 2015 5:47 AM

Feb 2010
Arpeggio is a fine example of a journey that doesn't experience any heavy turbulence, but nonetheless prefers to keeps its engines coasting at comfortable knots. You can forget about learning why most of the I-401 crew tags along with Chihaya and Iona, and you can forget learning much about those two individually.

The journey is less about each crew member and more about crossing troubled waters to breach The Fog and build relations. There's something appropriate about the enemy being named after a weather condition to make navigation difficult, or the future of humanity lying in an exchange between nations. It's reminiscent of the olde navigation days, where the voyage itself is a threat.

In keeping with its metaphor for world communication, it's fitting to mention how The Fog is an agent of isolation, but through the end of it all, no man is an island (or is it, no ship is without a captain?). Takao's character, while very typical, reflects how the heights that we want to achieve and can only achieve through learning to work together, while the mysterious Kongou slowly learns that there's more to life than living by a code of honor.

But it isn't all smooth sailing for our crew. Takao and Hyuuga are like a dent on a perfect hull, in that their journeys rock the ship back and forth between the meaning of life and the (comedic) meaning of love to seasick-like effect. All well then, that it should consider itself lucky that its swashbuckling is as funny as it is. But were you to ask which crew members rowed the boat perfectly between sunny and stormy weather, I'd give the medal to the trio of Haruna, Kirishima, and Makie.

More unfortunately, the Chihaya and Iona duo seems confused about what it wants to be. One moment they're professionals with a touch of friendliness, and the next moment we witness a welling of love that never breaks the surface. It's especially ponderous how Iona could change only now and not in the two years they've journeyed together.

But Arpeggio's misnavigation is more a quip of the simplicity of it all, merely travelling from point A to point B and colliding with mines visible from a full radar screen away. It's also more noticeable with how adventurous Haruna, Kirishima, Makie, and Kongou's journey proved to be. If only the rest of this crew had dared to brave the storm.
Apr 10, 2015 4:07 AM

May 2013
When I started watching the show, I was definitely a bit put off by the whole CGI but I quickly grew accustomed to it as I saw how consistent the animation/graphics of the show was. There were no misshaped faces and eyes like there may sometimes be in drawn animation. Not to mention that the saved budget of the show gave us all the fireworks in this episode. Kongou's gravity cannon looked fucking ferocious.

The OST was great. Really loved the insert songs by Nano.

The story was interesting, and makes me want to pick up the manga. I want to see more changes Iona and the other changed Fog go through.

Takao got her body back. I had faith that she'd be back.

It seems like Kirishima likes being a teddy bear more than her actual body or maybe she's just waiting for the little girl to grow up before she actually gets her body back.

While it's great that Iona saved Kongou, what will she do now? Still fight against mankind? Or maybe just live her life? Doing whatever her "will" wishes?

Underrated anime for sure.
8.3/10
Apr 20, 2015 7:54 AM

Jan 2014
Fawsome finale.
9/10 for it.
Quite an underdog for that season but managed to perform marvelously, compare to other average big titles.
You will soon learn that a heart that choose to exist, even in a life filled with pain, will one day allow us to meet again.
With the world's blessings, we will meet again and again, forever returning to the homeworld we've yet to see.
Many, many times.

Apr 29, 2015 6:27 PM
Sep 2014
This was surprisingly good anime. I tried to watch it several time and its concept and animation just pushed me away. Really interesting story and a lot of action, great soundtrack. It lacks some story development but i guess we will see more in the movie.
Jun 25, 2015 4:53 PM

Jun 2013
I really did freakin enjoy this anime! It takes a lot to get me to enjoy something. It was worth watching it. Honestly, a second season would have been great but I guess the movies will have to make do.
"Masturbation."

---The End.
Aug 15, 2015 5:48 AM

Apr 2014
One of the better series of the past few years. Thinking of giving this a 6 or a 7, will wait for the second movie and then decide.
Mar 25, 2016 1:37 PM

Sep 2014
Wow! The final battle was epic!

Poor Kongou suffered a lot. I'm glad everything ended well for her.

Nice show all in all. I liked it.
Mar 31, 2016 5:21 AM

Dec 2013
twas okay. best ending songs ever though
Apr 12, 2016 3:24 AM
Apr 2016
i want know that does Ars Nova will have third season. because the end in the season 2 makes me so exciting ? :) please answer me. thank you
May 30, 2016 6:16 PM

Jul 2014
"I-401 is alive. Repeat, I-401 is alive"

Not very often does a seemingly innocuous selection of words manage to strike a cord with me, as it subtly, but profoundly, pinpoints what I feel to be the chief motif of the series. A neat twist on a hackneyed subject such as "humanity", as these battleships didn't necessarily pursue it but rather transduced aspects of a free life to something the could use to determine their own identity and standing on the world soon after having their view of world flipped on its side. I think the three questions posed at the beginning of the main ending theme emphasizes this search for their purpose as the Fog Fleet members come to understand, and experience, some of the various types of metaphysical phenomena that enables us to be called "human".
Some handling it better than others, of course. Note Kongo, which makes me want to point out how during her confrontation with Iona, there was a close up of her while she crashed down on Iona which showed one of her eyes welling up in tears. This could either just be just the wind irritating her eyes (she is coming down at some imaginable velocity), or a representation of her disillusionment with her existence as she is basically experiencing a "mental" breakdown. Well done scene.

Contrary to popular opinion, I had quite amazing hopes for this series' aesthetic as it was completely conjured by the wonders of CGI, and I'm surprised to say I couldn't imagine it another way. I think the robotic and rigid movements of the characters underscores their non-human nature (at least for the Fog). As for the humans being animated this way, it doesn't really matter as the humans, including the officials and crew members, were practically absent the entire show, as again, the spotlight was on the growth of the Fog.

8/10
KatoBytesMay 30, 2016 6:33 PM
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Feb 4, 2017 2:17 AM
Nov 2015
ArcanaTrace said:

Takao hugging Gunzou is too good, had to rewatch that several times.

Lost count how many times I watched that part. Here's the gif I made of it, so you can watch it as many times as you want.

Takao is love <3

Oct 25, 2017 2:50 PM

Oct 2015
First of all battleships are not my thing but that's besides the point, this anime lacked almost everything. 1st the visuals were bad and the plot never compensated for them 2nd the plot was full of holes, like where did the fog come from? and why Iona or 401 was loyal to Gunzo? What is the admiralty code and what is its purpose? What are mental models and why are they battleships?

This anime had lots of what, why and who, which is a pain if you ask me. The ending was about changing the villain's evil ways and channel her inner good like that Naruto crap, damn this was awful for me and if there is manga of this one keep it I don't need it.
Before I forget the plot had no clear objective, characters boring and typical and most of all 401 looked like a creepy toy.

No movie for me, this was shit 4/10 and this was me being lenient.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 20, 2018 4:20 PM

Mar 2016
I thought Ars Nova's gravity cannon was powerful, well Kongo's new cannon is absurdly powerful. Wiping out all of the US-Based Fog Ships including a USS Iowa class ship just like that is an unprecedented act, beating the Ars Nova which wiped class Nagara ships

This last episode's battle scene, with all those flashy visual effects, topped off with the 1 VS 1 fight between Kongou and Iona near the end are all fantastic. Absolutely, chaotically awesome! How I also love Kongou's crazy and hopeless face, that was satisfying to see, after all she did. Still, I'm happy that Iona did eventually bring her back to her senses, you're no longer alone Kongou! Welcome to your life!

After all the battles and experiences the Ars Nova (and others) crews have gone through in this journey alone. They finally reached San Diego and delivered the vibrator ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) torpedoes to the USA to be mass produced, this ends the assumption by Japan that I401 and its crew has gone rogue. It's a shame that the vibrator torpedo was not demonstrated, but seeing Kongo's monster spherical ball of death in action already filled me with satisfaction for actions.

FINALLY! Takao said fuck it and actually hugged Gonzou after her physical body has been created. This is such a joyful moment. And so... All other characters have gone off and went on with their lives...

Now back to eliminating the other fog? Or saving the fog from the Admiralty code? Which one is more ethical depending to the Fogs? The whole world is still pretty much blocked by the other fogs right? And even if the admiralty codes was explained excellently to the audiences, who, what ,where ,when ,why ,how did it exist on almost all of the Fogs???

I don't know about what will happen, but I think the recap movie (Additional 40 minutes of content) will at least provide me with some answer and if they don't at least I'll get more
EPIC MARINE WARFARE ACTIONS!!! Then continues with the next movie.

This show exceeded my expectations after the events from episode 8-12!
ShadowkillZSep 21, 2018 4:34 PM
Apr 12, 2019 9:41 AM
Jan 2017
ooh,, Iona become more emotional at 3 last episode and thinking about another warship feeling and many time trying to save the other and risk herself to save the heartache kongou bacuse she was dead once and thats very sadness ( like people say, dead make people change huh?)
and almost dead iona made to touching the deepest heart of kongou and meet the sad kongou then hug her,, then they connected and trying to understand each other then become a friend,, (fight to imposible thing and risk their own self, this only happen on anime world, thats make the story wonderful )..
this make the mental model look like more human,,
the weapon was sent to america and they made the mission,,
then the song nano "our story is playing", its really good ending, quite satisfying ending..

this is great fighting episode

but there still a big mystery like..
1. who the first people made Iona to follow the order from gunzou?
2. what and where the admirality code come from?,,
3, what happen after america got the weapon?
but stll the good endng..

8/10
Sep 13, 2019 8:26 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Kongo is saved!
Really enjoyable conclusion that leaves alot left to explore in possible the existing movies?
That said I heard this is mostly anime original content, so I m curious for what happens in the manga, and will surely read it.

My main problem with the series so far is the like of development and likeness to the MCs, not to say Takao, Haruna or Kongo get that much either but, as characters, it was more fun to watch them slowly discovering what is emotions and how they deal with them.
Mainly I was very invested in Kongo and felt sad for what happened to her, which leads to this episode... it really tugged at my heart strings seeing that hug she received from Iona.
I really enjoyed these 3 characters alot, and the series also had some tense and brillaint scenes concerning Iona and Captain like ep10, that was wondefully done, or that episode Haruna started to get attached to the lil girl~~
Most episodes where not on par but at least we really got a decent conclusion here.

Really good music selection too, enjoyed that ending theme for ep12, and the OP composed by Nano was a joy.
There is good action, unexpected great drama and very amusing and dirty comedy full of inuendos that you could only see on a series that has ships wanting to get boarded, hit others with their torpedos, or the most crazy of all, Takao wanting a full ship examination... really silly stuff but wasnt overused.

Sidonia adaptation and now this one, are the best uses of CG ever seen in the industry and I would like more to follow, if they want to use CG, this is how you do it.

Sads me to give this one less than a 9, since the potential is there, but I needed to care MORE for the MCs, or the plot needed to have more twists.
Noneless this is at the top of the 8s I can give, and I will be paying more attention to the series in the future now.

8.4/10 = 8
PlaycoolSep 13, 2019 8:31 AM
Oct 30, 2019 6:16 PM

Mar 2013
Anyone else felt like the last episode went full Star Wars? Or was it just me?

I couldn't help but think Koungou's Ship was a death star. I also lost my shit when Koungou dropped Iona into the Core of her ship and all I could think of was the scene where Luke fell from Cloud City.

Not gonna lie, I didn't expect to love this as much as I have. Really need to go look for more hidden CG gems.
Feb 29, 2020 6:23 PM

Jul 2016
Darklight0303 said:
Disappointing but I guess people who love flashy action ate up the slop just fine.

And so ends the show about thinking battleships that ends with a battle between lolis.
Aug 29, 2020 6:31 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Not really the type of story I enjoy! the characters were fine though and SANZIGEN's work on the CGI characters is pretty cool, so I'll end up rating it a 5... average anime overall for me.
Jun 22, 2021 4:19 PM

Jan 2021
It was good despite its ranking. My major problem with it though, is its characters. What purpose does Gunzou’s main crew serve in the story (besides working the vessel)? Nothing. They’re just there to be there. We don’t even get much characterization of them. All of their personalities were bland and underdeveloped. Everybody else is fine except for Hyuuga, she’s just your typical annoying lesbian just like Kuroko from Toaru but worse. The only characters I can say I actually liked are Haruna, Kongou, and Iona (mostly Haruna tho). The fights in this show are pretty good and I would say they are what make the series really cool. 3D animation is great. It looks better than all of the 3D stuff I’ve seen (maybe even Dorohedoro). 5/10 underdeveloped characters hold it back from its true potential :(
SpicelitOct 6, 2022 12:25 AM
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Nov 24, 2022 12:47 PM

Feb 2014
Slowly but surely all of those cool battleships girls are losing their ships and being converted to be part of MC´s hare- I mean, crew.
*sigh* The type of MC who is special for the sake of be special.

It was painful to watch Takao and her desire to lick MC´s feet all the time, most of the times she appeared was to lose her mind because of the MC, so I always had to skip those painful to watch scenes.
At least Hyuga scenes were comedy-like and not cheesy, as expected they wouldn´t take a yuri-like scenes to a non-comedy level, they don´t have the guts for that.

These last scenes between Kongou and 401 were way too cheesy for me to handle, annoying.
401 every time talking about orders but she was there siking her sisters if MC gives her the order to do so. Then she comes saying to Kangou "it has to be an order?!", give me a break.

That all aside, it´s impressive how this anime is from 2013, they did a great job with the CGI and etc.

5-6/10

By the way, it´s easier to talk about what we didn´t like about something. So yep.

---

Best episode was ep 5.
TechOtakuNov 24, 2022 1:06 PM
Feb 14, 2023 12:49 PM

Aug 2018
Lots of interesting topics are touched in this anime.. The anime about life maybe more, than I could expect going into this, and not having tag "psychological", or something like that.. Life in lots of the ways it goes and shows itself.. Important to existence and positioning yourself questions.. Interesting watch for sure..
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

127 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

109 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 15, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2013

153 by TechOtaku »»
Nov 23, 2022 1:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Elite60 - Oct 7, 2013

242 by Ashhk »»
Aug 27, 2020 6:34 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2013

124 by djharvey »»
Jun 13, 2020 5:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.