Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 18, 2013 11:46 AM
Dec 2013
Well, before going to bed I'm going to leave this post here from another discussion going on:

The KnK and Akkey have always had some special link which has yet to be explained because Yayoi just fled instead of explaining it.

He's the only one who can harbor the KnK and not explode. So Mirai disappeared because her body couldn't contain it, but the KnK still uses her body as a container (that's why it bleeds all that blood when she stabs it)

The KnK didn't intend to disappear, it intended to cross over into the real world since that's what it does but Mirai was killing it from the inside.

The KnK created an isolated environment so it could throw armies of youmu and lightning at Mirai, it needed to kill her.

Mirai is part of the KnK during episode 10 so she has some control of it. For example, her black glasses are also fake.

Mirai lost her physical body and only existed in the KnK so when the KnK went back to Akkey, her body disappeared with it.

This last one is up to debate, but notice how the last point is that Mirai becomes part of the KnK and creates a fake Akkey, and Akkey becomes the KnK again and we have a new Mirai. Alternatively, Yayoi did something and we'll find out in the OVA.

The time between the final fight and the final scene looks like a month or two because it went from Autumn to Winter, that's a lot of time.
Dec 18, 2013 11:49 AM

Nov 2013
Mirai coming back that way left me zoned out for a moment, like WTF did just happen? Although, the series were good enough for me to watch it till the very end and I actually enjoyed it.
The only downside was the character development, those unexplained revelations, plotholes and wasted potential, but I can overlook them.
Actually, I find this better than a lot of other (pointless) anime out there, tbh.
Dec 18, 2013 11:52 AM
Jul 2012
Overall, I liked this series, but I have to admit, it probably would have been better if Mirai had stayed dead. I was actually pretty fond of that epilogue before then. I think they were concerned about not getting a second season, and they tried to give it a happy ending, even though they didn't have time to explain what happened.
Dec 18, 2013 12:14 PM

Nov 2012
I found this series to be decent, and compared to KyoAni's other works, it's not that great. The ending and even the anime as a whole felt like it was missing some important aspects to it such as character development. Perhaps in the future we'll get a season 2 that will improve on the faults of this anime and answer all the questions left unanswered.
Dec 18, 2013 12:20 PM

Sep 2013
Damn this was pretty good until the end.

First off it felt anticlimatic, KnK left Akkey's body only to be absorbed again after a few puches?

Another thing was the whole Yomu-inside-Izumi and juice box guy there was absolutely no build up for that and it was just thrown out there :/

Finally the whole thing with Mirai, how did she come back? I've heard through the comments that Akkey used KnK's power to do it, but couldn't they have explained it in the anime?

This whole finale while visually stunning left me with to many questions so I'm going to have to give it a 5 or 6. At least I enjoyed watching it...
Dec 18, 2013 12:22 PM

Sep 2013
This serie was kinda nice to watch, but the ending was so cliché...
the part when Mirai broke and vanished was really good but she should have stayed dead...
It kinda lost its sharm when she came back to life:S
Dec 18, 2013 12:24 PM

Jan 2013
I reeeeeally wish they had taken their time with the more serious/actiony parts of the anime because the SOL stuff was just a huge waste of time. They should have left that for other anime. With this episode as a finale, my rating will probably go down. Ugh. They seriously could have done so much better, but it was still really enjoyable if I put my critical thoughts aside. I had fun watching. Unlike a lot of people, I did tear up when Mirai was disappearing, but it was ruined by the ending. I do think a season 2 would improve it because it could fill in all the plot holes--but it still wouldn't fix the flaws of this season.
Dec 18, 2013 12:24 PM

Mar 2010
I liked where the ending was going, but I knew it was too good to be true.
How unpleasant.

Certainly the studio's most ambitious show as of late, in terms of premise and scene composition. I also thought the fade-ins were always well done. However, in combination with the typical KyoAni humor overstaying its welcome and just feeling unnecessary towards the end, all of that doesn't amount to much more than wasted potential. 5/10
Dec 18, 2013 12:29 PM

Dec 2012
Wow this was one hell of a ride.
Season 2?
Dec 18, 2013 12:40 PM

Aug 2011
Hopefully gets second season, this really needs it.
Dec 18, 2013 12:41 PM
Dec 2013
Well... Aki's mom did say "To be continued" before jumping.
Maybe we will get some more answers in the OVA, maybe even a S2.
Dec 18, 2013 12:44 PM

Aug 2012
Da hell was that ?
Dec 18, 2013 12:48 PM

Apr 2013
rodac said:
I guess Kyoami is such a wonderful producer of anime that they don't feel the need to provide us with much in the way of explanation, resolution, or coherency in the final episode...
overall 6/10

1. so many questions were left unanswered -1
2. lots of asspulls HOW TF DID SHE CAME BACK TO LIFE? -1
3. filler episode in a 1 cour show -1
4. no kiss -1
Dec 18, 2013 1:01 PM

Dec 2012
Liked the episode & the show~
but I'm a little confused... how did she come back tho
Well hopefully there is gonna be another season ...?
Dec 18, 2013 1:03 PM

Nov 2011
KhanhCPham said:
The ending made me say "huh." I thought the ending was going for a symbolic ending about Mirai existing in spirit but it turns out she physically came back. Or another thought of her coming back is she came out of Aki body since Kyoukai no Kanata and Aki are the same being. Mirai absorbing the Kyoukai no Kanata from episode 10 means they are also the same being. So essential Aki and Mirai are one. Okay this is hurting my mind.

It was such a cheap emotional blackmail trick. First off - they already did the thing where she dies but then turns out to still be alive. They did it fucking last week! Second, just commit to one. If she survives, then have her survive. If she's dead, keep her dead. I hate that they tried to deliver both emotional beats just to trick you into thinking you actually care. Because you don't care. You don't.
Dec 18, 2013 1:05 PM

Aug 2011
Alright so I did love KnK despite everything. The first half of the series, until episode six was not that great. It kept bouncing between repetitive fetish humour (which was funny the first couple of times but when it keeps happening it's not so funny) and serious stuff and was unable to bounce it. They really should have kept the humour to a minimum if they wanted this to be a more serious show but they didn't. The pacing was also horrible, as seen in episode seven, Sakura reconciles with Mirai way too quickly and they are like best friends by the next episode. I don't even want to count episode six as a part of the series; wow what a waste, it could have been an OVA! Honestly, how did it strike them as a good idea to do this while the series was airing? Very stupid move on their part if you ask me. Episode five didn't give the series a direction either; it may as well have been another OVA, as it did develop Mitsuki a little but I mean. It didn't exactly add to the series. Mitsuki is still a very flat character.

In any case, the series did pick up by episode seven (despite that episode's horrible pacing) quite a bit, and became a lot better. And now we have an ending that was fine up until Mirai came back to life via asspull, or so it seems. It is possible that Akkey brought her to life by crying on the ring, like others have mentioned but it's not very clear as to how it happened; there are absolutely no explanations and well, it's extremely confusing.

6/10 the series could have been way better than this and I know it. If pacing problems and the balance between humour and serious stuff were fixed then the first half would have been a lot better than how it is now. Well, what can you say, really?

"To be continued." tho. Will there be a continuation? If there is I really hope they answer a lot of questions, about Miroku, who Yayoi is, who Akkey's father is, what happened between Akkey and Hiroomi in the past, etcetc (I mean I can guess based on the given info, but it'd be great if they clarified instead of leaving me in the dark here).
Dec 18, 2013 1:09 PM

May 2013
This episode was really good. I started tearing up when she vanished. I was hoping that she would return and she did. Great anime overall.
Dec 18, 2013 1:10 PM
May 2013
everything before this episode is actually very enjoyable to watch but this last episode is weird and anti-climatic, and left so many unanswered questions, and made me drop the rating of this entire series
Dec 18, 2013 1:18 PM

Jan 2013
IMO this was quite disappointing :S
Dec 18, 2013 1:18 PM

Aug 2012
Rushed as fuck. Stick to SOL KyoAni.

6/10
Dec 18, 2013 1:19 PM

Sep 2010
Okay series, but the ending confused me like how did she come back? Was she liked wished back or something?

6/10 couldn't really get into the story or characters Free! was way better with both plot and characters.

Also there will probably not be a second season since the estimated Bluray/DVD sales are piss poor for KyoAni series.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 18, 2013 1:22 PM

May 2013
-Sigh- I really wanted to like this show. If it wasn't for the amazing animation and fight scenes, this series would have a way lower score. At the end, I found myself generally not caring. They really should have explained a lot more before these final episodes and not wasted them on pointless episodes. I am especially mad about Sakura's episode which really should have been expanded upon. Mirai should have stayed dead. My opinion is basically summed up in Stark700's review.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Dec 18, 2013 1:33 PM

Jan 2013
Free was much better than this and this is coming from a guy.
Dec 18, 2013 1:39 PM

Jul 2010
This show was unpleasent till the truly end.
Akihito's mom was such a key character, this show would miss 1 or 2 doujins without her appearance.
The villain was so interesting that I fell asleep while he was fighting, that's why he just died honorably like a true side-useless character.

What can I say, Sassuga KyoAni. 6/10
I don't even know why this is ranked so high.
Dec 18, 2013 1:42 PM

Dec 2013
Actually, I liked the ending. I think Akkey's mom has something to do with Mirai's revival, maybe she knew she would come back to the real world if Akihito would beat the KnK. Overall, it was pleasant to see Akkey back with Mirai after fighting so hard and losing her once more. I hope there is a S2 and hopefully then we can solve all the holes KnK has left. 7/10.
Dec 18, 2013 1:45 PM
Aug 2013
really im really sad... halfway through the episode i had to go to dinner, and afterwards i had to work with math, later when i picked up, i was interrupted twice.. so it didn't have that much of an inpact.. :( but anyway, when mirai sopposingly died, i was ready to give it 10/10 but yet it ends up with a 9/10, then some might say, dont you like happy endings? and i say yes i can't live without them, but it makes it feel kinda rushed, i donno. but anyway great episode, i might rewatch it again, and who knows, possibly 10.
actaully when i think about it, i dont think it could've got a 10 in any case, but what ever. you get the point ^_^
CambiareDec 18, 2013 1:52 PM
Dec 18, 2013 1:46 PM

Apr 2008
Looked good but not a strong ending. Feels were touched but was soon reduced to nothing. Still eenjoyed it overall.
Dec 18, 2013 1:49 PM

Oct 2013
Wow,this rushed episode...

I tried to look at KnK as mediocre show due to it's visuals but nope,I just can't.Tokyo Ravens & Strike the Blood,whom I consider to be in that category,are way more entertaining.The weakest part of KnK were definitely it's 2 main characters,especially Akihito,and the fact that there was so much focus on them didn't help.I found the Nase family more interesting so perhaps if they were the focus then maybe,just maybe this show could've been better.

At any rate,as mean as it sounds,I regret wasting my time on this & wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Dec 18, 2013 1:51 PM

Jan 2013
Disappointed .

Emotions over logic ? I'm fine with that somehow , but overdoing it ? Nope , not at all . What was the point of removing the Yomu from Akkihito ? That was an extremely bad development for the plot . What happened to that guy who fought with Izumi (Forgot his name XD) , also , I didn't like the defeat of Kyokai no Kanata , I mean , defeating it with words ? Screw that .

7/10 for the show .
Dec 18, 2013 1:58 PM
Jan 2010
lamo that was so bad lol i was going to give it a 2 at first but mirai reviving with no logical reason and all that rushed bullshit just dropped it down to 1
Dec 18, 2013 1:58 PM

Dec 2012
I wished this episode was good enough to make me keep the score at 8/10 but the ending ruined that. I'm also disappointed that there is no kiss scene, that alone might have bumped my score.

Overall I enjoyed the animation, OST/OP/ED, the later humor and above all Ayaka and her godly VA. 7/10.
Dec 18, 2013 1:59 PM

Feb 2012
7/10 it was an enjoyable series and the animation was orgasmic, but the story was definitely lacking. Especially towards the end. Main character died came back, died came back, died came back over and over again and it was getting a bit silly.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Dec 18, 2013 2:08 PM

May 2013
Normally, I would give animes I've enjoyed so much to the extent in which I get emotional but this left me to say nothing about it, it basically left me speechless. Such an amazing episode and anime, absolutely loved it to the biter end <3
EsherazDec 18, 2013 2:12 PM
Dec 18, 2013 2:18 PM

Nov 2013
It was goood, I thought that there was gonna be one more epsiode. It scared me when Mirai disappeared but I'd still like to know how she appeared on the roof. Now I need a new anime to watch on Wednesdays
Dec 18, 2013 2:21 PM

Mar 2012
Now that the series is over, here's a rough breakdown of what is in the LN and what they changed for the adaptation.

Episode 1: Almost everything is from the light novel up until after school. However, instead of Mirai chasing after Akihito and trying to kill him, he invites her into the clubroom instead and they resolve things peacefully (Mirai gave up on trying to kill him). They don't go to Mirai's apartment to kill a youmu. Although the events are roughly the same, Mirai's character has been changed for the anime.

Episode 2: This episode roughly follows the Light Novel structure, except Mirai doesn't go with Akihito to see Ayaka, he goes by himself. Ayaka is not a youmu, she's a Youmu Hunter that's tried to kill Akihito before. The rooftop scene with Hiromi is identical except that it's missing a flashback to where Hiromi tried to kill Akihito. Ai is an anime original character.

Episode 3: The only scene that's used from the LN is the clubroom scene. Sakura is an anime original character.

Episode 4: Hollow Shadow fight is adapted from the end of the first volume, although a lot of the details and motivations have been altered for the anime.

Episode 5: The Mirai joining the club scene is from the LN, although chronologically it should have occured right after the club scene in episode 3. I don't know if the Mirai/Mitsuki scene + lantern festival is anime original or not, it could be something from the untranslated parts of the first volume or even the 2nd volume.

Episode 6: Completely anime original

Episode 7-12: Pretty much completely anime original, although the Kyoukai no Kanata is pretty much just a copy of the Hollow Shadow from the LN. They basically took the Hollow Shadow and split it into the first Hollow Shadow that's killed in episode 4 and then the Kyoukai no Kanata which takes up the 2nd half of the show. The Youmu Hunter Society is a major antagonist in the first volume, but their story has pretty much been cut from the anime. I don't know if Miroku is a real character or not, since that part of the LN has not been translated, but conflict between the Youmu Hunter Society and Nase family play out pretty differently. Akihito's mom does come in at the last moment to save the day though.
Dec 18, 2013 2:31 PM
Dec 2013
'I love when you wear your glasses'....it was Akihito saying he loves mirai?
Dec 18, 2013 2:42 PM

Oct 2007
MgMaster said:

I tried to look at KnK as mediocre show due to it's visuals but nope,I just can't.Tokyo Ravens & Strike the Blood,whom I consider to be in that category,are way more entertaining.The weakest part of KnK were definitely it's 2 main characters,especially Akihito,and the fact that there was so much focus on them didn't help.I found the Nase family more interesting so perhaps if they were the focus then maybe,just maybe this show could've been better.

At any rate,as mean as it sounds,I regret wasting my time on this & wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

To deal more with the Nase family would mean having to flesh out the politics of the spirit society and do some serious world building which the show clearly does not have time for and to be honest do you really want to have a writer that could barely manage handling it's two goofy main characters development when they got the most focus of anyone handling something that calls for a certain level of complexity in writing ala Gasaraki to pull an example of a mystic high status family in an anime off the top of my head.
Dec 18, 2013 2:49 PM
Dec 2013
Nimhe said:

If that wasn't then "Would you do me the honor of wearing this glasses " with all the proposal allusion phrasing would have been.
Dec 18, 2013 2:53 PM

Aug 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
MgMaster said:

To deal more with the Nase family would mean having to flesh out the politics of the spirit society and do some serious world building which the show clearly does not have time for and to be honest do you really want to have a writer that could barely manage handling it's two goofy main characters development when they got the most focus of anyone handling something that calls for a certain level of complexity in writing ala Gasaraki to pull an example of a mystic high status family in an anime off the top of my head.

It's a shame because the guy in charge of series composition also did Steins;Gate was amazing. However Hanada Jukki was also in charge of Campione!, and Chuu2byou which were pretty mediocre so I'm not very surprised tbh. If this show had a better writer who knew how to handle time then I'm fairly sure it would have been so much better.

Aug 2011
this show was a solid 8 but the last few episodes left me thinking wtf, especially since she supposedly died, then was alive from his youmu self, then died again, and then she's alive once again at the end?? ?? ? ? wtf.

6/10 for me.

Jul 2012
Last part was done pretty well, but then they had to revive her which kind of made me go "wtf" because I'm confused why she's back. I liked the bgm that was being played in the last few scenes. Daisy still remains as my top ED of this season.

I felt that this show was trying to be too serious but then forced some comedy in which ruined the mood majorly. Like, Akihito's mother for instance of Hiromi's siscon.

Nevertheless, decent series, but just lacks in a lot - forgettable characters and plot that was a bit rushed and not executed well enough. However, animation was done tremendously well and it had its moments here and there. 6/10
Dec 18, 2013 2:54 PM
May 2013
The ending was lame considering the pacing was getting interesting. And it was too cliché/forced.
Didn't like Mirai, was okay with the other characters, not really going to miss it but might watch a second season because of the seiyuu.

The animation was flawless though, but it wasn't enough.
Dec 18, 2013 2:55 PM

Jun 2013
Very let down by this show. Never got around to caring about a single character, especially when they keep using a running gag ("How unpleasant", sis-con and secret bro-con, megane-con etc etc) to define them. Fighting looked nice but mostly felt like a bunch of meaningless pap that was there there for the sake of it, too flashy-swingy swords and not creative enough.

It's a sad state of affairs for the story when the filler idol episode was one of the most entertaining and memorable moments of series, as we are left a bunch of plot holes and unanswered questions that could have been interesting but are thrown aside. Finally, the ending couldn't have been more predictable. Choose your source material more wisely, KyoAn. 5/10 for the promising beginning, animation and episode 6. Overall, pretty damn forgettable.
JivingLotusDec 18, 2013 3:14 PM
Dec 18, 2013 3:07 PM

Oct 2011
uhh, what? That was it? Hm, 7/10.
Dec 18, 2013 3:09 PM

Mar 2013
The series had mad potential at first, but ruined it with the barely non-existent character development for romance or meaningless confrontations between characters rather then just focusing on the plot itself.

They seriously could've gone way more into depth about the Nase family and the Spirit World Warriors. They control everything that's affiliated with youmu and could've brought out some new warriors from there to create huge conflict for the Nase family rather just throwing all the hard tasks to Izumi

Fujima, Miroku was at least a bit interesting considering he gave up his humanity to greater power. They also should've dived into that as well. Miroku couldn't have just been the only one with also instead of just humanoid friendly youmu, they should've introduced PURE humanoid youmu that are insanely hostile to spirit world warriors. It just seems like the Spirit World Warriors have it to easy and the lack of capabilities a few of them performed during the calm was pretty weak. Could've actually made a them a threat and surprise the watchers with them, but they didn't.

Mirai coming back was also predictable and didn't feel even depressed or anything during Mirai's " temporary departure."

Anyways, I don't want to go into full detail about this since I'm lazy, but overall it's another "meh" anime that was hyped up again
Dec 18, 2013 3:18 PM
Dec 2013
artesox said:
Nimhe said:

If that wasn't then "Would you do me the honor of wearing this glasses " with all the proposal allusion phrasing would have been.

What do you mean? Mirai said that she loves him, but him didn't say anything....I don't understand that
Dec 18, 2013 3:19 PM

Oct 2013
Laciie said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
MgMaster said:

It's a shame because the guy in charge of series composition also did Steins;Gate was amazing. However Hanada Jukki was also in charge of Campione!, and Chuu2byou which were pretty mediocre so I'm not very surprised tbh. If this show had a better writer who knew how to handle time then I'm fairly sure it would have been so much better.

I found Chuu2byou way more entertaining than KnK to be honest.For one thing,I liked both the main & supporting cast much more than the ones here.Also,that show didn't seem to try so hard to be funny or dramatic(towards it's end) and felt more natural as a result.
Dec 18, 2013 3:25 PM

May 2012
Well that's the end. Okay series just wish most of the episodes were action pack like this one. Felt like the beauty of the animation was lost because there was not a lot of action.

5/10

Mirai should have stayed dead, or not died at all.
Dec 18, 2013 3:30 PM

Dec 2012
I really liked this episode and was ready to give this an 8, but Mirai returning with no rhyme or reason just seems halfhearted. I think it would have left an even greater impact if Mirai used up the last of her energy to kiss Akihito and finally shattered during the kiss, leaving behind the ring. The only thing I can think of is that the ring had something to do with her coming back, since it seemed to be an important aspect of controlling her powers.

I really can't help but take deep sighs when a series feels compelled to kill off an MC at the end and make it tear jerking, but then bring that person back and put all of that emotional build up to waste. I don't even think it would have bothered me if a season 2 brought her back with some explanation dealing with Beyond the Boundary early on, but doing all of that within 8 minutes was just so disappointing.

Overall I found this series to be fascinating, the fights were so beautifully executed and watching all of that magic at work was incredibly satisfying. I felt like the majority of the series dragged out and really wasn't able to start enjoying it to its fullest extent until episode 9ish. Again I really wanted to say this was a solid 8, but that random revival of Mirai just felt like a cheap attempt and keeping otaku from killing themselves out of sorrow. 7/10, it worked hard for it. And sorry Akihito, but I prefer Mirai without her glasses, she looks great megane-less.
Dec 18, 2013 3:32 PM

Aug 2013
Despite the story having left very open points was certainly the best anime of the season
exciting from beginning to end
I had tightness in the chest when I clicked 'set as completed'
Mirai was too kawaii without the glasses
both the soundtrack of the anime, as the cuts of scenes are wonderful
I was curious to read the novel
then .. ended

Apesar da historia ter deixado muito pontos em aberto, com certeza foi o melhor anime da temporada
emocionante do começo ao fim
tive até um aperto no peito quando cliquei em 'set as completed'
Mirai ficou kawaii demais sem os óculos
tanto a trilha sonora do anime, quanto os cortes de cenas sao maravilhosos
fiquei curioso para ler a novel
então .. terminou
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.