Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 13, 2013 6:33 AM

Aug 2008
So figure we can discuss all our visual novel needs here like in the Little Busters forum. This way we don't have to worry about using spoiler tags or possibly ruining anime viewers fun.

Anyway to start off, which ending do you guys think would be the best to use from the visual novel and why? I've heard all sides and the positives and negatives about using any of the endings, but which would you personally prefer they use (as the anime ending will probably be determined as the true ending of everything).

Also do you guys still like Kazusa after reading the visual novel? I know most of us liked her in IC (I did too) but have your feelings changed after reading the endings (mainly Kazusa's true). The same goes for Setsuna and Haruki. How did your feelings change about them as the visual novel went on.

And in general. How do you feel about the current adaption of the IC. My main beef with it like Pedot, is that Haruki is coming off as too much of an ass in comparison. I may not like Haruki, but how they handle him here is less than optimal if you ask me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 13, 2013 7:17 AM

Sep 2011
hyperknees91 said:

Also do you guys still like Kazusa after reading the visual novel? I know most of us liked her in IC (I did too) but have your feelings changed after reading the endings (mainly Kazusa's true).

The thing is, I believe some or most people began to like Kazusa more the moment they replayed IC(Assuming that some or most people like Kazusa since IC).

Dec 13, 2013 8:34 AM

May 2008
Hmmm I always wondered the the true ending is... unless the video I saw with...

was the true ending?

I like Kazusa more than Setsuna because Haruki are Kazusa is a perfect match, one has family problems and the other doesn't really have any family interaction. So if Haruki and Kazusa were to get together they can be one happy family. The only reason why I rather have Kazusa with Haruki over Setsuna is because she has a loving family were as both of them don't.
Dec 13, 2013 8:35 AM

Sep 2011
There are 2 True Endings. One is Kazusa's and the other is Setsuna's and the video that you saw is Setsuna's True End.

And I bet you haven't played the game.

Dec 13, 2013 8:41 AM

Aug 2008
Tennouji_ said:
hyperknees91 said:

Also do you guys still like Kazusa after reading the visual novel? I know most of us liked her in IC (I did too) but have your feelings changed after reading the endings (mainly Kazusa's true).

The thing is, I believe some or most people began to like Kazusa more the moment they replayed IC(Assuming that some or most people like Kazusa since IC).

Funny enough she went from being my favorite character in the game (totally serious) to my least liked heroine ever in any VN. I don't think rewatching IC in the anime has helped with that unfortunately.

I guess it depends on your morals and perspectives though. I can see how some people would like her, but yeah she was pretty much ruined for me.

Rei_12 said:
Hmmm I always wondered the the true ending is... unless the video I saw with...

was the true ending?

I like Kazusa more than Setsuna because Haruki are Kazusa is a perfect match, one has family problems and the other doesn't really have any family interaction. So if Haruki and Kazusa were to get together they can be one happy family. The only reason why I rather have Kazusa with Haruki over Setsuna is because she has a loving family were as both of them don't.

All of this is only true for the part the anime is currently covering. Unfortunately none of this is true later on.

There is no true end to this game. There are technically 3 possible ends, but none of them are the definite true end. Though whatever ending the anime gives will be treated as the true end I'm sure.
hyperknees91Dec 13, 2013 8:44 AM
Dec 13, 2013 9:57 AM

Jun 2008
hyperknees91 said:
Tennouji_ said:
hyperknees91 said:

Funny enough she went from being my favorite character in the game (totally serious) to my least liked heroine ever in any VN. I don't think rewatching IC in the anime has helped with that unfortunately.

I guess it depends on your morals and perspectives though. I can see how some people would like her, but yeah she was pretty much ruined for me.
Lol..quoting Pedot
(though I've heard Kazusa TE has the tendency of making people fall in love with Setsuna...)
Yeah, I pretty much felt the same thing. I even felt that She's much more happier in Setsuna's True End... lol

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Dec 13, 2013 1:01 PM

Jul 2013
@Rei_12

You are one of many that haven't read the novel.Hell, I'm like you so I can feel you when u say you are wondering about the VN's true end.To answer your question, the final part of the VN (known as coda) has no definite TE.Instead it offers 3 possible routes for the player to choose.These are:

a)[Setsuna True End]
You can watch it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIPHCmX4xBM

In a few words,Haruki ends up with Setsuna and Kazusa falls out of love with Haruki allowing her to continue being best friends with them.She plays the piano at their wedding ceremony and they all live happily ever after.In my opinion the weakest ending from the list.Too idealistic and with a somewhat forced resolution to the triangle's relationships.(Setsuna fans will probably disagree)

b)[Kazusa True End]
You can watch it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGWvF8TyMew

Here, Haruki enters into an affair with Kazusa and as the story progresses he decides to break up with Setsuna choosing Kazusa over her.But it ain't a simple choice since everyone surrounding him advises him against it.Haruki "shows the finger" to all. He is determined to go to all lengths in order to keep what he and Kazusa have.He quits his job, cuts ties with his friends, leaves Japan and rides into the sunset with Kazusa.The two live happily ever after abroad.In the epilogue, Setsuna sings "Powder Snow" for them.As a "Kazusa fan" I find this ending the most liberating, but my opinion is totally biased.Some may claim that this route is too grand and excessive with logic being in the back seat, but it's a love conquers all conclusion.And it's the only one that (in my opinion) addresses the issue of "Todokanai Koi" making it the best fit as a conclusion to the love triangle.

c)[Kazusa Normal End, also known as cheating route among the fans]
You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfgigpXRbqo

A very heartbreaking and slightly depressing route no matter what girl you are routing for.The pain Kazusa,Haruki and Setsuna (in that order) experience in this route easily tops all their ordeal in IC/CC.The conclusion given is bittersweet and requires a certain amount of emotional maturity for the viewer to accept it.Anyway, Haruki once again enters into an affair with Kazusa.For as long as it lasts they make memories together (the CG in this route are amazing with a very feminine and mellow Kazusa).People that find out about them create all sorts of drama.Little by little, Haruki and Kazusa get overwhelmed by guilt and break up. Or to be more specific, Kazusa is the one to call things off.While Haruki wants to stay with her, Kazusa sacrifices herself for the sake of Setsuna (she doesn't want to betray her anymore) and Haruki (she claims that she is breaking him).Haruki returns to Setsuna who takes him back and Kazusa lets go of Haruki's hand never to meet him again.In my opinion, Kazusa NE is a repetition of the events in IC on a greater scale (more sex,more drama).In the end everything remains a "Todokanai Koi"

As stated in the beginning of my post there is no official TE to WA2.Every player/viewer is entitled to his own opinion.For me it's: K-TE >> K-NE > S-TE

@hyperknees91
I'm curious as to what made you take an 180 turn when it comes to liking Kazusa.Could you elaborate with examples from the VN that made you change your mind?
HetakoiDec 30, 2013 2:37 AM
Dec 13, 2013 3:46 PM

Aug 2008
It's mainly due to Kazusa's true end and coda's common route.

For the most part she becomes a pathetic waste of space. Nearly any likable traits she had in IC are long gone by this point. Instead she doesn't give a crap about anything but her own wants and needs, and doesn't care who suffers because of it (she might say that she does but she most certainly doesn't). Heck the girl can't even comb her hair by herself, much less live life...it's just a sad scene to see.

Even though she knew Haruki was going to get married, she still did her best to NTR him during the route and got mad at him for the most insane things. One of these being that he didn't go see her concert because he was with Setsuna. Which I talked to Tennouji about privately, but she was not in a relationship with him yet she basically ran away and acted like a spoiled brat and did her best to make him feel like crap because of it. Compared to Setsuna who didn't blame Haruki for not coming to her birthday party when they were in a relationship, she comes off as insanely petty in comparison. And her big reasons for betraying Setsuna are so shallow that it's hard not to be disgusted by her.

Also when her mother is given the death card she acts super sad and down about it. But hey once Haruki comes back into her life and decides to love her again, she' decides it's ok to leave her there in japan and go be happy on her own. Selfishness should only go so far, and even though her mom is fine with it...this is just too much.

And the final thing is I sincerely believe she doesn't really love Haruki. She just needs Haruki, but I don't think she loves him. No one who loves someone would ask Haruki to do what he did ("Betray Setsuna for me and don't see her anymore"). She allowed him to throw away everything his life. His friends, his lovers and his job...and for what? An incredibly selfish girl? Now Haruki is just as dumb for doing this but quite honestly they gave the incredibly cheap "death card" to push him into doing this. Even though love is about being selfish, I think there are limits which we shouldn't pass unless there is a very good reason behind them. And what she did was basically take advantage of Haruki's pity (and quite honestly with the way Haruki is, I'm pretty sure it was just pity).

Now at the very least, she admits that's she's a terrible person. Normally when a story does it it's because you're suppose to look at the character and think they are being too harsh on themselves. But this time it's actually true. She's simply despicable to the core.

If they adopt her true end, they are basically encouraging a forced romance (it was not forced in IC btw). And way too many contrived and unrealistic plot points. Funny enough this is most unrealistic route in the game. I like how they couldn't think of a way for Haruki to choose Kazusa in a natural fashion and had to pull the death card. I also like how they had to give Setsuna psychological problems to further make it easier on her. Seriously I have no idea what the writer was thinking in this route.

Though on the flip side. Setsuna becomes one of the best heroines ever in any anime medium during this route. I mean the psychological problems and getting hit by that truck...yeah that was silly. I get they wanted to show that her pain that she had disregarded had manifested inside her without her knowing (much like Chiaki in Chiaki's route) but it was kind of silly regardless. Still she's so likable and admirable by the end that it's impossible not to smile at.

And while I hate Haruki, I can at the very least say he is miles above Kazusa. He's really just a victim of his own kindness so much that he's blinded by it. But at the very least I can say he genuinely cares about people. Funny thing is I wonder if the ending of Kazusa's true actually damaged him more than made him feel relieved. That would be kind of funny if that was the truth.

Also even though Setsuna's true end might seem unrealistic with how happy it is, I think if you put into perspective that it has been 5 years since he and Kazusa last met. And the amount of time Kazusa and him were close was only like 3-4 months (and they never dated). If anything it's less believable that she still loves him and even less believable that Haruki would throw away everything for a girl that he has only been close to for the same amount of time. Funny enough the characters will constantly mention this fact in Kazusa's true end just to show you they're self aware. But the writer is just like "yeah well we're going to go through with it anyway, because they are dumb"
hyperknees91Dec 13, 2013 4:22 PM
Dec 13, 2013 7:22 PM

Sep 2011
Basically, what hyperknees said and to add on that, one of the reason that I hate about Kazusa's True End route is Haruki's development that he got CC didn't carry over onto Coda Kazusa's Common route + Kazusa's True End route. It's like "let's pretend that Haruki's development that he got on CC didn't happen this time". I feel like I've wasted my damn precious time on Closing Chapter if Kazusa's True End is the True Route but good thing that there's no True Route.

Dec 14, 2013 1:07 AM
May 2013
Coda is like the end of IC
It's a beautiful mess

It was never Kazusa's original intent to steal him

She came back to Japan to get over him. To give a parting performance. Kazusa is well.. socially retarded. Her method of communicating with Haruki is through her music. So she took it hard when he didn't come.

And like IC, she keeps reminding Haruki to get over her and prioritize Setsuna. But of course that doesn't happen, because Haruki still can't leave her alone, and Setsuna.. apparently decided to become Moriikawa Yuki version 2 by cutting contact with her boyfriend.

And just like IC, all these things spiraled out of control. Just like IC
Haruki is to blame for not letting go, but the position of Setsuna and Kazusa are reversed. Kazusa is to blame for interfering in a relationship. Setsuna is to blame for doing nothing and letting this happen despite knowing about it. Oh, the irony.

As to why Haruki still loves Kazusa? I think CC made it clear. Being with Setsuna is ironically, the problem. The more he is with Setsuna, the more it is harder for him to let go of Kazusa. Ironically, he can only forget Kazusa and get a clean break if he hooks up with a CC heroine.

And just like IC there's really the question of how much he really loves Setsuna. How much of it is him forcing himself to love her? I think Mari route made it clear. Setsuna says he makes the same kind of face when he is talking about Mari and Kazusa. It's a face of someone talking about a woman he loves. But he does not show that kind of face to her.

So what do we have in total for Setsuna and Haruki? 3 years of basically him being an emotional wife beater. 2 years of rebound relationship. All of which were built upon that tragic past in IC.

So does it surprise me when he delays his proposal to Setsuna and does what he does in Coda? Not all all. I saw all the signs.

I also find Kazusa's development in Coda brilliantly ironic
In IC people criticize her for keeping her own feelings to herself
In Coda she is a lot more in tune with her own feelings, (but she is still holding back a bit)
She still likes Setsuna too much, and is afraid to face the guilt
So when Haruki tells her to make up her mind whether or not she has the conviction to join him in his betrayal of Setsuna. That was.. wow.. twisted, but beautiful. You see at his core, Haruki cares too much about people, and at her core Kazusa does not want to confront that she is betraying Setsuna. In that very scene and the following they destroy both Haruki and Kazusa's old self. Haruki chose to prioritize one person's happiness. Kazusa was forced to willingly and directly pull the trigger on Setsuna with her own hands. And she didn't leave Haruki and run away this time.

This doesn't happen in any other routes, so it's my favorite. Kazusa Coda clearly is not a paragon of high morals, but everything wrapping like that just felt where it should be to me.
K_boardDec 14, 2013 1:52 AM
Dec 14, 2013 2:59 AM

Aug 2008
Actually that scene I hated Haruki a lot more than Kazusa (the one where Haruki says she needs to decide). Because like said by her, he would've just kept going out with Setsuna despite all the things he said the last time to her. This made me realized that literally everything Haruki says or does is half-assed.

In fact the most ironic thing about her true route is that the only thing that truly gives him conviction to stay with Kazusa. Is the fact on how angry everyone around him gets at him and how they essentially "throw" him away. Funny enough, if they never did that, then Setsuna could have most certainly convinced him to go back. If only she didn't cry to Tomo...she lost her feelings of manipulation to her feelings of pain for one moment and it cost her. Because of that, everyone pushed him into a corner and that actually strengthened his resolve more than hurt it. That being said I agree that ironically being with Setsuna is what reminds him of Kazusa, but it's still pretty unbelievable regardless. Let's face it, he never dated Kazusa, and he had only been close to her for a short period of time. I would have bought it if he had least gone out with her for a couple of months but otherwise it's laughable they expect the audience to believe it's for any other reason other than pity. Especially because of the fact the writers chose to display their relationship as being completely platonic in this chapter. I mean seriously...it felt like reality just went out the window during this entire chapter in so many instances. This never happened in any other route so I guess the writer decided he just needed to be dramatic, even if it was largely ineffective drama.

Now a question I ask. Was everyone just being too immature with Haruki's decision? I mean I know what he did was basically pure evil, but isn't this his life? Why should they all throw him away because of something he did that does not directly involve them? I mean I know they all care about Setsuna, but I think all they really should have done was confront him, ask about his feelings on the matter and let that be that. I mean that's essentially what Takeya does in any other route, so idk why it's a problem here.

I mean I know people in real life will act this way, but that's mostly teenagers. They are all adults by this point. Just seems unnecessary quite honestly.

But yeah the advantage to adopting this route is it's essentially a happy ending in some regard to Setsuna as she's finally "free" from her chains. But I still say they should adopt Uwaki as it's the most entertaining and interesting (as well as the most realistic). Though I'm almost certain they will adopt Kazusa's true end.
hyperknees91Dec 14, 2013 3:06 AM
Dec 14, 2013 4:19 AM
Jul 2018
Haruki has low income, no power, little wealth, and little property, yet somehow the girls like him hahaha, just like any other VN.
Dec 14, 2013 5:12 AM

Jul 2013
@K_Board
A beautifull post, in total harmony with my mindset.

@hyperknees91
That being said I agree that ironically being with Setsuna is what reminds him of Kazusa, but it's still pretty unbelievable regardless. Let's face it, he never dated Kazusa, and he had only been close to her for a short period of time. I would have bought it if he had least gone out with her for a couple of months but otherwise it's laughable they expect the audience to believe it's for any other reason other than pity.

I disagree with you.In my opinion the worst thing when it comes to romance is the regret of not acting upon something.Had Haruki dated Kazusa back in IC , it would have been easier for him to move on.Instead he is tortured by a "what if" that only stregthens his obsession with Kazusa and his longing to be with her.Also,let's not forget that even if he didn't date her in the past, he made love with her back when he was still playing house with Setsuna.Personally, the more I read about Setsuna's route (especially in CC) the more I think Haruki stayed with her out of obligation.

If only she didn't cry to Tomo...she lost her feelings of manipulation to her feelings of pain for one moment and it cost her.

Not a very flattering thing to say about Setsuna.So hapinness for her is attainable through a path of manipulation?Not the kind of person I'ld like to be with.

About your question on people interfering, the answer is simple:Because it's a VN.They serve as plot devices and drama catalysts.People in real life who meddle in other's personal affairs like that claiming noble motives,either have ulterior motives or are too inexperienced themselves.
Dec 14, 2013 5:50 AM

Aug 2008
That's the thing. Setsuna is very flawed when she's with Haruki. That's why I don't like her together with him either and why I'm "ok" with the true end of Kazusa's path to some degree. I was just saying that as a showing of how meaningless most of Haruki's words are. Quite honestly Kazusa does the same thing to Haruki anyway during this route and that's why it's a lose lose for either of them (And Haruki did the same to her during the CC). Kazusa is far too dependent on Haruki and Setsuna's psyche gets in question because of him. That's why I said the only healthy relationship for Haruki is with Koharu. The biggest irony to this story is that none of them really should be together, because they all create too much of a negative influence on one another.

With Setsuna something bad happened to her when Haruki and Kazusa betrayed her, something she didn't even realize. She basically formed a sort of "split personality", nothing that strong but something to that degree. On one side she had a manipulative side that she used to convince herself on what she wanted from Haruki. On the other side she has the pain that she holds in and is destroying her. However because of the trust issues she has, she can't truly share this pain with anyone not even Haruki. It's basically an extreme form of what Chiaki had.

Thankfully at the very end, she realizes her family and friends are more important to her than trying to be with Haruki. Not only that but she doesn't blame him for what he did, it's quite an admirable thing. Basically she was able to stop herself from being a "villain" like Haruki and Kazusa in this route.

I just feel like I liked how in NANA the other characters don't interfere with the other characters actions even if they feel personally disgusted by it. Just kind of expected that level of maturity from this path...because it was given in every other path...soooo
hyperknees91Dec 14, 2013 6:03 AM
Dec 14, 2013 9:10 AM
May 2013
well, I think Kazusa and Haruki have a special chemistry

they push each other beyond their limits for the better or WORSE

Kazusa transformed Haruki from a shitty guitar player into someone that was capable of doing the guitar parts in SOD
Kazusa was the motivation for Haruki's special report that later got him scouted into his company
Haruki was the motivation for Kazusa to finally start being serious about piano again, and become a world class pianist
Haruki was the motivation for Kazusa to finally reach her mother's level of performance in Kazusa True

but as said, on the other hand they also bring out the worst in each other
but that's also why I think they're a good match for each other

As for platonic.. I think it's an intentional subversion of what he does to Setsuna
You probably noticed, but Haruki tends use Setsuna as a crutch and screw her whenever he feels bad about something.
So in Kazusa True he does NOT do that to Kazusa. Even if she doesn't mind it.
K_boardDec 14, 2013 9:14 AM
Dec 14, 2013 1:25 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah I noticed that since IC about him with Setsuna. I mean don't get me wrong, it's good he didn't use Kazusa for that and I could respect it. It just didn't seem too believable to me for whatever reason.

And true there are some positives to their relationship, but it's very negative for a good bit of it too. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't hate Kazusa and Haruki together like I hate Setsuna and Haruki together. I just feel like Haruki has a healthier relationship with the likes of Koharu and Mari.

I'll stop with the hate train on those 2 though because I feel like I'm letting my emotions get the best of me. I guess the main thing Kazusa did was she was willing to take away her piano hands as a compromise to Setsuna.

Now the main question about that is...what made Setsuna snap out of it completely? The stab scene or the getting hit by a truck?

Another question I have is why was it such a big deal when Kazusa told Haruki that she was the first one who kissed him? I mean they had already slept together by that point so it seemed a little weird to me.
hyperknees91Dec 14, 2013 1:45 PM
Dec 14, 2013 3:14 PM
May 2013
Well IIRC, Haruki reached for Kazusa's skirt in one scene. She asked him if he was okay with this? Then he decide not to go with it. So it's not as if the temptation isn't there.

If you're trying to pinpoint the moment that made Setsuna snap, that was probably the hotel scene with Haruki. I mean that shower scene afterwards was tragic.

He used the dreaded words "I want to make sure that I only have you" earlier
When was the last time she heard him say those words? Anime watchers should remember this.

As for Kazusa,
IIRC, her direct quote was

I was the first kiss him
I was the first to have sex with him
and I was the first to fall in love with him
It's all 3 of those.
Dec 14, 2013 5:20 PM

Aug 2008
Ah I see.

I was asking more when she was able to snap back out of her memory loss problem. Is it the glass scene? Because she realized how much trouble her actions were actually causing Haruki and Kazusa or was it the truck scene, because she realized the same thing?

BTW do you guys they should just add some extra details on the side heroines without going into their path in the anime adaption, or just skip them entirely? I guess it's going to be up to Maruto regardless. I realized that the

You know one thing I actually wanted to see in Kazusa's true end was Setsuna making up with Tomo and her family. I know it was implied but I think it would've been powerful to see regardless. Seemed like a missed opportunity but it might have been a bit excessive. Tomo is probably my favorite character in the game btw and I have no idea why (second favorite is Sawako and she's only in one route noooo).

Also was it implied that Takeya and Io have a chance to end up together? I wasn't sure if that vibe was given off at all, they might eternally friendzone each other but I wasn't sure if the ending really was trying to hint at anything.
Dec 14, 2013 5:51 PM
May 2013
You can hear Tomo's voice in Setsuna's video letter. They already made up by then.
I think Tomo is much closer to Setsuna than Io is to Setsuna anyway, despite their rocky start

Io likes Takeya, but I think she's being well.. Kazusa about. Which is terribly ironic.
Dec 14, 2013 6:23 PM
Feb 2013
Hetakoi said:
@Rei_12

You are one of many that haven't read the novel.Hell, I'm like you so I can feel you when u say you are wondering about the VN's true end.To answer your question, the final part of the VN (known as coda) has no definite TE.Instead it offers 3 possible routes for the player to choose.These are:

a)[Setsuna True End]
You can watch it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIPHCmX4xBM

In a few words,Haruki ends up with Setsuna and Kazusa falls out of love with Haruki allowing her to continue being best friends with them.She plays the piano at their wedding ceremony and they all live happily ever after.In my opinion the weakest ending from the list.Too idealistic and with a somewhat forced resolution to the triangle's relationships.(Setsuna fans will probably disagree)

b)[Kazusa True End]
You can watch it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGWvF8TyMew

Here, Haruki enters into an affair with Kazusa and as the story progresses he decides to break up with Setsuna choosing Kazusa over her.But it ain't a simple choice since everyone surrounding him advises him against it.Haruki "shows the finger" to all.Looses his job, cuts ties with his friends, leaves Japan and rides into the sunset with Kazusa.The two live happily ever after abroad.As a "Kazusa fan" I find this ending the most liberating, but my opinion is totally biased.Yes it's too grand and excessive with logic being in the back seat, but it's a love conquers all conclusion.Animewise, it would be my second choice.

c)[Kazusa Normal End, also known as cheating route among the fans]
You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfgigpXRbqo

Definitely my choice in case of a second cour.If we are supposed to experience heartbreak through Setsuna's ordeal in IC and CC, then I don't know what word describes the pain Kazusa,Haruki and Setsuna (in that order) experience in this route.The conclusion given is bittersweet no matter what faction you belong too.Anyway, in this route Haruki again enters into an affair with Kazusa.For as long as it lasts they make memories together (the CG in this route are amazing with a very feminine and mellow Kazusa).People that find out about them create all sorts of drama.Little by little, Haruki and Kazusa get overwhelmed by guilt and break up.Haruki returns to Setsuna who takes him back and Kazusa lets go of Haruki's hand never to meet him again.PS3 version of this route adds an extra scene showing Kazusa still in love with Haruki and in regret for letting him go.I still dont know who takes the 1st step in the break up since the pms I received conflict each other on that matter.

As stated in the beginning of my post there is no official TE to WA2.But most forums-sites I visited, label Kazusa's NE as the best fit for the role.Everyone ofc is entitled to his own opinion.

@hyperknees91
I'm curious as to what made you take an 180 turn when it comes to liking Kazusa.Could you elaborate with examples from the VN that made you change your mind?

Actually, just by these video qualities, you can already tell who is the true heroine... If you can't, your eyes/brain need to be checked ASAP.
Dec 14, 2013 6:33 PM

Aug 2008
There is no "true" heroine otherwise they would have made one like they do in any other story-based visual novel. The true ending is literally whatever your preference is.

I think the writer was too scared of catering to only one of the girls, so he decided on this instead.
Dec 14, 2013 6:38 PM
Feb 2013
hyperknees91 said:
There is no "true" heroine otherwise they would have made one like they do in any other story-based visual novel. The true ending is literally whatever your preference is.

I think the writer was too scared of catering to only one of the girls, so he decided on this instead.

You can't be serious..
http://youtu.be/bGWvF8TyMew
http://youtu.be/zIPHCmX4xBM

Can you tell any difference at all and if show enlighten me on how the creators did not pick a true end heroine. Sure, its up to the player to have a preference, but if they wanted that they would have made both ends similar instead of one end's credit being 10000000000x better than the other one.

If you didn't know which end was which, you can tell me which one is the better one or rather, tell me which one had more work/time/money put into it's ending..
yuijiDec 14, 2013 6:42 PM
Dec 14, 2013 6:59 PM

Aug 2008
yuiji said:
hyperknees91 said:

You can't be serious..
http://youtu.be/bGWvF8TyMew
http://youtu.be/zIPHCmX4xBM

Can you tell any difference at all and if show enlighten me on how the creators did not pick a true end heroine. Sure, its up to the player to have a preference, but if they wanted that they would have made both ends similar instead of one end's credit being 10000000000x better than the other one.

If you didn't know which end was which, you can tell me which one is the better one or rather, tell me which one had more work/time/money put into it's ending..

Like said man, if there was a true end then it would have been stated rather than giving the player the choice. If there was only one true end then it would have been like Introductory chapter and been explicit about it. That's how any other visual novel works. Hence why no one can actually agree on the true end and why many players feel like the Uwaki route is in fact the true end despite being the normal end (much like Swan Song).

Also more effort was put into the Setsuna true end with all those drawings so if anything it looks more like the true end then Kazusa one which has no new drawings.

For me the true end is the Uwaki route. Not either Setsuna or Kazusa's true end.
hyperknees91Dec 14, 2013 7:03 PM
Dec 14, 2013 7:11 PM
Oct 2011
Touma True Ending is the only one with the Coda symbol and new music in the credits.

Setsuna True Ending is the CC credits repeated.

This must mean something.

And for I know Touma True Ending is considered the true ending by the majority of fans, not Uwaki.
Dec 14, 2013 7:24 PM
May 2013
I'll humor some people. Here's my totally unrelated to plot reason why I think xyz ending is the true ending

The CG sequence
The ending CGs go from Kazusa True to Setsuna True to Cheating / Uwaki

So the true intended ending for the VN is either Kazusa True or Uwaki
Dec 14, 2013 7:33 PM

Aug 2008
Well when the anime picks an ending will have our real answer. I wouldn't mind any being considered the true ending though. Heck I wouldn't even mind if the side heroines were considered the true ending because it really doesn't matter anyway. They all contribute something to the story and leaving any out will mean they are leaving out a part of the story.
Dec 14, 2013 8:37 PM

Jun 2008
True ending this, True ending that...just choose the one you like and stick with it, no need to "push your thoughts" about which one is the True ending just because "One has the coda symbol" "one has more drawings" "One has an original credit" ...sigh...

There's no end when you're trying to discuss about "THE" true ending" in VNs that has more than 2 endings labeled as "True". That's like going into a Fate/stay night forum and debating which ending is the True Ending between Fate/UBW/Heaven's Feel.

Unless the VN and/or Author/writer itself states that it has "The one" true ending (Clannad, Little Busters, Fortune Arterial) Then the VN has "Multiple True Ends"period. Any discussions about which is White album 2 true ending will ultimately become akin to a console war debate.

Dec 15, 2013 6:48 AM

Sep 2011
Yes and I'm getting tired of hearing Kazusa's True End route is the True route of the end with their very simple reasons why is that.

It's multiple True Ends and don't push your preference to others which is which is the True route because there's no True route and the game says so.
TennoujiDec 15, 2013 7:03 AM

Dec 15, 2013 7:08 AM

Nov 2013
I think that what should players of the VN and those who watch the anime, and for that matter any other VN, manga, or anime, need to feel is the contentment in each and every ending...

We VN players are quite a special case because VNs have a lot of endings that adheres to different plot lines and thus VN ending wars are made, like kaimax has said...

Surely White Album 2 has conflicted us for more than 2 years in fact because of the endings that it has...
Kazusa True ending delves into the love of Haruki and Kazusa that transveres into breaking their relationships with other people, resulting in hurting them, but them now acknowledging the extent of their love for one another...
Setsuna True ending however delves into the love of Haruki and Setsuna that continues on from CC that continues to flourish into a loving relationship that excludes any other people into the equation, and with that, acceptance and true acknowledgement from the 3 main characters in the story...
Uwaki ending however delves further into a complicated relationship of the 3 main characters, resulting to a series of deceptions and controversial acts that are commonly and rampantly known to us all, but gravely deem as wrong...

Whatever reasons we may have to defend and fight for what we acknowledge as the "right" ending... Even if others have "more" concrete proof than us, but we still believe in our respective endings, that is all the more reason to ignore what anyone says as what we believe is true...

The more pressing issue we have in this particular anime is that what ending should the production strive to end at... Stubborn people will still argue, but if they use their heads, they'll just shut the hell up... please people... really...

And yeah I ranted...
Dec 15, 2013 9:31 AM

Aug 2008
Well here are the pro's and cons of every true end and it really is based on the preference of the anime viewer.

Setsuna true end is happy, happy as crap. This may bore some people because they seek drama. However for many it's a state of relief after how stressful the game was. That's why I find it more effective emotionally than the other two ends. Because responding to a stressful game with a stressful ending...just isn't as effective as the alternative because you're already used to being stressed out. If WA2 was more balanced in it's stressful/happy moments I would say otherwise though.

Kazusa's true ending is super dramatic and all the characters get their screen time is the main positive about it. Therefore it's very entertaining...but the drama has lost most of it's effect in any meaningful way if you ask me. Also it's the least believable ending,and I think people will have trouble accepting many things about it and it's silly plot points.

Uwaki routes main positive is that it's the most believable...but it's also the most negative. Haruki also gets the most character development in this route, which is quite entertaining to see. It will supremely piss off shippers for sure, but the entertainment is pretty amazing at times. I like how her mothers death card isn't even brought up in this route...which makes it feel like it really was just written in for a contrived plot point.

So yeah there's good stuff about choosing any really and that's why I don't mind which they do choose.

BTW I'm thinking 39 episodes?

13 for IC, 13 for CC and 13 for Coda? Sounds good eh? Unless they wanted to do 26 for CC which would be really pushing it.
hyperknees91Dec 15, 2013 9:49 AM
Dec 15, 2013 10:06 AM
Apr 2013
For those that haven't played VN but is interested in a full plot summary, here's something I've been working on...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UKcIcr-SeVhIuMHxdZiH6XZucY1bIp4-PWNB63Eu_h4/edit?usp=sharing

Its a WIP, (somewhat detailed) plot summary of Closing Chapter. As of right now it has the common plot + Setsuna End completed. Every significant (and not so significant) event is listed, with main point / effect of every conversation. It's unlikely that I'll finish it any time soon, but figured this would be of help. Note that it really has the FULL spoiler (at least in regard to CC, which I've completed). I might have missed something, feel free to comment on the document itself (all viewers should have that permission)

Now with regard to the true ending argument --

I'm not taking sides (I don't believe in one true ending for WA2 tbh), but isn't there in fact 4 ends to coda? Each of them corresponds to your answer to the following two questions:
A) Do you lie to Setsuna or tell her the truth?
B) Do you accept Kazusa or do you reject her?

(I've gone through only Setsuna TE btw, everything else is what I've heard)
1. Setsuna TE - Truthful to Setsuna, Reject Kazusa. The most perfect (imo) and least probable one, considering how much of a saint everyone was and how things really worked out in the end.

2. Kazusa TE - Truthful to Setsuna, Accepts Kazusa. Most tragically beautiful ending where Haruki gives up everything for love and runs away with Kazusa. Ends with Setsuna sending a video of her singing Powder Snow and finishes the song with "I still love you."

3. Kazusa NE / the cheating end - Lie to Setsuna, Accepts Kazusa. Lots of sex scenes with Kazusa, Haruki becomes completely trash and Kazusa leaves. I heard recent PS3 version has extended this route but I'm not sure where it ended on PC and what's the new stuff. Anyways, Setsuna takes care of Haruki despite everyone else around her disagrees with what she's doing, while Kazusa gets over Haruki. Haruki is healed in the end and stays with Setsuna.

4. Coda NE / Setsuna NE - Lie to Setsuna, Rejects Kazusa. Kazusa leaves heartbroken. Supposedly Haruki basically lied to himself about not caring for Kazusa or something like that (makes sense). Shortest route?

I will have to run the game through to confirm there's actually 4 endings but at least that's what I've read.

I find it heartbreaking that Setsuna really has undying love for Haruki...She's literally still in love with Haruki not matter which end you go through. (Again, that's what I've heard...Don't quote me on this part

I'm truly glad that I have the VN to fall back on if I don't like the anime in the end. :P
Dec 15, 2013 10:20 AM

Sep 2011
Pedot said:

2. Kazusa TE - Truthful to Setsuna

Not sure if I should agree with this, particularly the scene where he says he wants to see Setsuna rather than telling the truth.

Pedot said:

4. Coda NE / Setsuna NE - Lie to Setsuna, Rejects Kazusa. Kazusa leaves heartbroken. Supposedly Haruki basically lied to himself about not caring for Kazusa or something like that (makes sense). Shortest route?

Yes it's the shortest route. Right after the events of Coda Common route, there's one day and the end.

Dec 15, 2013 10:34 AM
Apr 2013
Tennouji_ said:
Pedot said:

2. Kazusa TE - Truthful to Setsuna

Not sure if I should agree with this, particularly the scene where he says he wants to see Setsuna rather than telling the truth.

Huh. I suppose you are right, I haven't played through it yet. The official guide for the routes gave me the impression that you need to be truthful up until that point in order for Kazusa TE, though I suppose you can make different choices for some of the options and still qualify for Kazusa TE.
Dec 15, 2013 11:06 AM

Jul 2013
I believe arguing which route is the true end is pointless when the VN doesn't officially provide one.Choosing a girl in WA2 isn't the same with picking tomatoes at the groceries.Everyone will support the route of the heroine that moved them the most and got them emotionally involved.Trying to rationalize or doubting your choice coz of logical arguments means you were either indefferent from the start or without confidence in your choice.

As to yuiji's comment that seems to be directed at me, I'll repeat what I thought was already clear in my previous posts.I love Kazusa and her true end is my favourite since it makes me the happiest.But anime making is business and the ending that I support for the cause of making a series that will leave it's stigma, is Kazusa's normal end.

PS. On a side note, I'm still gathering spoilers-summaries of the VN.I have learned in detail about majority of events up to coda plus setsuna's te.At the moment what I am looking for are details of Kazusa's coda routes.Whoever feels like helping out, don't hesitate to drop a pm
Dec 15, 2013 2:22 PM

Aug 2008
Well I don't blame him, it's possible they won't animate the entire story and that would be pretty annoying and inconclusive.

Also at the very least he might have to wait another year to complete the story even if it is finished in anime form.
Dec 15, 2013 5:07 PM

Jun 2008
Pedot said:
I heard recent PS3 version has extended this route but I'm not sure where it ended on PC and what's the new stuff. P

Yeah, after you finish it (The Uwaki route) in the Ps3 version, you'll unlock the "Extra Episode" in the special menu. And it pretty much goes on as you said:
Anyways, Setsuna takes care of Haruki despite everyone else around her disagrees with what she's doing, while Kazusa gets over Haruki. Haruki is healed in the end and stays with Setsuna.

They also added more CGs for that extra episode.

Dec 15, 2013 9:12 PM

Nov 2013
hyperknees91 said:
BTW I'm thinking 39 episodes?

13 for IC, 13 for CC and 13 for Coda? Sounds good eh? Unless they wanted to do 26 for CC which would be really pushing it.

26 episodes for CC? That would probably make people trope into Setsuna's end if that's the case since it'll be nothing but Setsuna and reminders of Kazusa... but hmmn people would also be constantly reminded on that how Kazusa's existence really drive the personalities of Haruki and Setsuna... that's food for thought...
Dec 15, 2013 9:52 PM
Jul 2013
Thanos_ said:
Touma True Ending is the only one with the Coda symbol and new music in the credits.

Setsuna True Ending is the CC credits repeated.

This must mean something.

And for I know Touma True Ending is considered the true ending by the majority of fans, not Uwaki.

For the sake of fans, they're probably hesitant to peg a true ending. For that reason, there's a good chance that an "official" true end will never be declared.

On the flipside, there's often a main story that the author aims to present, even in a multi-route visual novel. In that case, it probably lies in the scenario (which may not even be that happy or popular with fans) that best expresses the overall theme or makes the most sense from a structural perspective.

I haven't read WA2, but from the above descriptors, I would suspect that they rolled with a Kazusa story first and then expanded outward. Structurally, it's a classic TV drama setup, and it fits in with the "French" melodramatic anguish that defined the original White Album.

kaimax said:
There's no end when you're trying to discuss about "THE" true ending" in VNs that has more than 2 endings labeled as "True". That's like going into a Fate/stay night forum and debating which ending is the True Ending between Fate/UBW/Heaven's Feel.

Fate/Stay Night is actually a good example. All three routes are equal but different forms of the story. However, the Fate ending was the main concept that Nasu and Takeuchi developed from the outset. Everything else was added as they expanded the story.
Dec 15, 2013 11:52 PM

Jun 2008
Yause said:
kaimax said:

Fate/Stay Night is actually a good example. All three routes are equal but different forms of the story. However, the Fate ending was the main concept that Nasu and Takeuchi developed from the outset. Everything else was added as they expanded the story.

But then came Fate/Zero... lol
---let's stop there--- XD

Dec 16, 2013 2:36 AM

Aug 2008
They probably decided "wow this route is really underwhelming, maybe we should try things a little different with the next two routes"...thank god they did otherwise no one would even talk about FSN.

26 episodes for CC? That would probably make people trope into Setsuna's end if that's the case since it'll be nothing but Setsuna and reminders of Kazusa... but hmmn people would also be constantly reminded on that how Kazusa's existence really drive the personalities of Haruki and Setsuna... that's food for thought...

I honestly think that's really overdoing it and I doubt they will do that. 26 episodes of closing chapter would just bore the hell out of people as nothing that interesting happens in it.
Dec 16, 2013 4:25 AM

Jun 2008
26 episodes of CC would be appropriate if it was in Omnibus format which is just PURE awesome because I like Mari. <3 :P

Dec 16, 2013 4:52 AM

Aug 2008
Omnibus format eh. So you think Haruki should be just like WA1 main and just sleep around? Do you think it should be done just like Clannad? Or should they be super daring and handle it like Yosuga no Sora?

I really hadn't even considered them adapting the side heroines. Seems kind of difficult. Though I agree as I loved Mari and Sawako.

Funny enough to some degree I prefer the side heroine routes. Koharu for being a well balanced route, Mari for being likable and well paced, and Chiaki for being interesting and having a powerful final scene. Also I feel that Haruki is a lot more likable in these 3 routes as well.

Actually I was disappointed that none of the 3 ends had nearly as powerful a scene as the play.
hyperknees91Dec 16, 2013 4:59 AM
Dec 16, 2013 7:11 AM

Sep 2013
I'm not sure how they'll be able to animate Koharu's route given that its entire premise deals with her falling in love with Haruki and him reciprocating, not to mention the later scenes with her giving her classmates "the slut they want". There's no way to show her route and their relationship in a platonic light unless they cut those scenes out, which are fairly important in understanding why her classmates start treating her like shit. Then there's the issue of her friends seeing her kiss Haruki which sets off the whole chain of events.
Dec 16, 2013 7:42 AM

Jun 2008
hyperknees91 said:
Omnibus format eh. So you think Haruki should be just like WA1 main and just sleep around? Do you think it should be done just like Clannad? Or should they be super daring and handle it like Yosuga no Sora?

Of course the Yosuga No Sora/Amagami/Photokano "route" omnibus where each route gets a fixed amount of episodes. I find the Yosuga no Sora one the most interesting since, it has a "common route" episodes and the actual inclusion of sex scenes... lol.

WA 1 wasn't omnibus and Clannad was more "quasi" omnibus since rather than restarting the whole thing, it just resolves the "problems" without any romance.

Dec 16, 2013 8:48 AM

Aug 2008
Oh they could, they would butcher the route but they could.

They could just make it so Koharu isn't actually seeing him but her friends don't believe her kind of thing. Stupid I know, but don't put it past them. I've seen crappy adaptions like that before.

If they make it omnibus like kaimax suggested though it'll have to be 26 episodes or so. Which means they either wouldn't adapt Coda at all or would probably do it in 6 episodes. Which is hilarious to think about, but I'd probably still prefer it to the VN version even highly abridged.

Depends on dvd sales of course.
hyperknees91Dec 16, 2013 8:53 AM
Dec 16, 2013 9:11 AM
Oct 2011
I don't think the creator will butchered his own work in a adaptation of CC. The "rape" possibility is very low.

And in the the case of WA2 the VN sales (VITA, PS and PC) matter more than BD/DVD sales. Because Aquaplus is the main producer and responsible for the majority of the funding (Starlight Records is the second, singles matter too). BD/DVD sales don't bring much profit for then, but to the distributor.

From what I know, the VNs sales are going very well, and in many stores are sold out. My fear is that the anime was done to promote the VITA version. With that done, they would have no reason to adapt CC, since it would not have any new material to promote.
Dec 16, 2013 1:55 PM

Aug 2008
Ah didn't think of that. That is very possible, would make sense because of how low the budget is for this show.
Dec 18, 2013 6:15 PM

Sep 2011
So this adaptation is going up to Coda it seems.

http://i.4cdn.org/a/src/1387394049722.jpg

In case the link might be dead because the thread got removed, it's a sketch of Kazusa in disguise(If you know what she looks like when she's disguising in Coda) by Satelight.

Dec 18, 2013 8:33 PM

Aug 2008
Well crap, prepare for a major shitstorm from all the fans.

You know I don't think I'm gonna watch closing chapter or coda again. Too stressful to go through all that again, but I'll follow the reactions.
Dec 19, 2013 1:20 AM

Jul 2013
@Tennouji_

The sketch of Kazusa in disguise is part of her True End CG or her Normal End CG ? (because technically both are coda)

++++++++++

OK, pretty much answered the question by myself by rewatching the endings from each route.It's from her TE :) (unless ofc I'm missing something)
HetakoiDec 19, 2013 1:27 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

202 by Giolbat »»
Mar 12, 7:03 PM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2013

221 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 9, 10:50 AM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

200 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 9, 7:40 AM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Dec 7, 2013

158 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 8, 3:59 PM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Dec 28, 2013

856 by GingZ »»
Mar 1, 3:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.