Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 19, 2013 10:17 AM

Jul 2012
antonnn said:
The problem with a lot of you people, as well as a lot of general hardcore anime watchers in general is that you pay too much attention to the studio producing said anime. You see an upcoming anime is being done by a studio and you've already judged the show beforehand. "Oh no KyoAni is doing this show they suck", and no matter how good the show many be they'll say it sucks, same goes for those who love said studio but just their feelings will probably be the opposite. Once the studio is decided that's it, don't complain, just watch it if you want or don't. Hell, I say don't even go looking at what studio does what anime due to the fact that it will probably alter your perception before the show has even started. Just watch it, if you like it you like it, if you don't you don't. No point babbling about things that haven't or won't ever happen, things are how they are, deal with it. If you don't like the show don't watch it all, if you love it then enjoy it to the fullest! I don't pay attention to studios cause there's no point, you can't change who is going to adapt your favourite show, I know studio names but I'm not overly familiar with what their works are in the past cause I don't want to know, take things how they come.

Actually, I was expecting this show to be really fantastic even if it's done by KyoAni. Nothing against their studio, but I'm not that into moe-type of stuff. The PV was just excellent and the animation was gorgeous.

HarajuCuu said:
Kyokai and Nagi no Asukara for me are probably the best shows of this season i would like to know what other people seem to think is better?

Nagi's at the top half of my fall ranking. My favourites are Yowamushi Pedal, Diamond no Ace, Kyousougiga and some others.
Dec 19, 2013 10:24 AM

Apr 2010
Was KnK really a boundary breaking anime? (pun fully intended)

The answer you'll most likely reach is no. It doesn't reinvent the wheel in any possible way. It doesn't try anything risky or fantastical.

Was KnK a bad show because of this? That's your decision. Simply understand that every anime is not going to be a masterpiece and every anime is not going to push the boundary.

I personally liked KnK. The artwork was it's most glaring strength, with beautiful animation as you'd expect, courtesy of KyoAni. The plot, setting, characters and gags were clearly not sensational however were coherent enough for the most part to still build something that was watchable. In this case the sum of its parts were a lot better than the parts individually and the best part (animation) was thanks to KyoAni, so props to them.

It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad at what it did. I still enjoyed the show regardless of the 'mediocreness' and hope there's a sequel down the road one day.
Dec 19, 2013 11:04 AM

Mar 2012
silverwalls said:
Voldomino said:
If the light novel itself suffers from the same problems (shitty gags, poorly written characters and story), then there's nothing that could have be done.

pretty much this. visuals and music were pretty good but that doesn't help anything if everything else is bad

Isn't that the point of an adaptation though? Keep the good parts and improve upon the bad parts? This isn't a very faithful adaptation in the first place, and the LN didn't have that much exposure before the anime so it's not like they'd lose sales due to pissed off LN fans. They ended up changing a lot of things anyways...
Dec 19, 2013 11:10 AM

Jan 2013
Mauno said:

Dunno if some of you guys are new or something, but the reason people judge this by its studio is because there was a time when Kyoani dominated the business and produced bunch of awesome anime. It wasn't until K-ON! that they became something that's known only for great animation, moe, moe and moe. Oh wait, did I already mention moe? :S

Haha, this guy.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 19, 2013 12:09 PM

Dec 2012
Kyo ani was always known for moe and all their previous titles had great dosage of ''cutesy shit'' in them except FMP. They just dropped the melodrama.

Awesome is subjective and K-On is a bigger hit than Clannad, Lucky star, Air, FMP and Kanon.
Dec 19, 2013 6:21 PM

Jan 2013
Mauno said:

K-on "revived" KyoAni from Endless Eight downfall. As someone said above, most of the titles BEFORE 2009 except FMP were moefest.

- Kanon (Key + Kyoani = win)

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

no.
DawnJDec 19, 2013 6:29 PM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 19, 2013 6:28 PM

Jul 2011
Let's think outside the box. What if it is produced by Shaft?

It'll be epic.
Dec 19, 2013 6:31 PM

Jan 2013
_ClariS said:

It'll be epic.

Even the animation would be non-existent. Definitely worst of 2013.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 19, 2013 10:03 PM

Oct 2007
There's so much tangental nonsense and BS in this thread. I think that there are definitely better equipped staff members and probably producers out there that could have refocused this show and cut and/or fine tune much of what weighed it down, namely the poorly developed characters, ill-timed comedy and lack of intrigue. However

Voldomino said:
If the light novel itself suffers from the same problems (shitty gags, poorly written characters and story), then there's nothing that could have be done.

This is a good point that I'd have to agree with. If that's the case nothing short of a full rewrite from the ground up could have saved an adaptation.

_ClariS said:

It'll be epic.

I think in that case it'd probably be exactly the same in terms of execution just with more of SHAFT's visual gimmicks instead of Kyoani's. Basically it just goes through a style filter.
PeacingOutDec 19, 2013 10:07 PM
Dec 20, 2013 12:43 AM

Jun 2009
Mauno said:

From 2003-2008
- Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (everyone should watch this, fukken 10/10)
- Air (left people heart-broken, even if it isn't as great as other Key stuff)
- Full Metal Panic! Second Raid (throat-slitting. Never to be seen by Kyoani ever again.)
- Haruhi ('nuff said.)
- Lucky Star ('nuff said)
- Clannad and Clannad After Story (11 out of ten)

Post -2009
- K-On!
- K-On!!
- Nichijou
- Hyoka
- Chuunibyo
- Tamako Market
- Free!
- Beyond the Boundary
- More Chuunibyo

Not ganna comment on pre-2009, really liked/loved most of their work.

Post 2009 been mostly good... but getting more and more shaky.

K-On was fine
K-On!! was a step up
Nichijou was a hit or miss
Hyouka was great (Best KyoAni since Clannad ~After Story~)
Chuuni was charming
Tamako was bland, cute, but bland
Free! was surprisingly decent
Beyond the Boundary is just a mess with nice animation and music... However, the mess is so big even the animation look like puke.

BnB, imo, by far their weakest project and easily the biggest disappointment I've ever seen in a KyoAni's work.
AirStylesDec 20, 2013 12:47 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 20, 2013 12:54 AM

Jun 2010
Mauno said:
From 2003-2008
- Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (everyone should watch this, fukken 10/10)
- Air (left people heart-broken, even if it isn't as great as other Key stuff)
- Full Metal Panic! Second Raid (throat-slitting. Never to be seen by Kyoani ever again.)
- Haruhi ('nuff said.)
- Lucky Star ('nuff said)
- Clannad and Clannad After Story (11 out of ten)

2009-present
- K-On!
- K-On!!
- Nichijou
- Hyoka
- Chuunibyo
- Tamako Market
- Free!
- Beyond the Boundary
- More Chuunibyo

FMP and Clannad was really good. Air and Kanon was just one emotional sh*t, that doesn't made any sense. Haruhi is just an overrated pile of turd. Lucky Star is just horrible, just as it's manga.

K-On! was a huge dose of diabetes and boredom. Hyouka was way more camper to live up to the standards in plot, instead, they made it boring. Tamako Market was instead a pleasurable series to watch, so it was an exception, as well the Nichijou what is an underrated awesome trolling all along. Free! is an eyecandy for the girls, nothing more special about it. And there's Chuunibyou, which is another overrated thing. The original version is better, rather than it's re-written version, what KyoAni made.

Shaft? If they would do it, it wouldn't have enough steam to run in the last episodes. Gonzo? Hue hue hue... GoHands? They never can tell a good story, just making the art better than the average. A1 would make "quality keys", so maybe AIC would would work out. But if you would want a pleasurable surprise just say: Madhouse.
Dec 20, 2013 1:32 AM

Sep 2009
It's like 90% of the haters never heard of KyoAni.....or expected this to be something like a BONES or Madhouse production.

This was one of KyoAni's better shows. It tried to reach for something other then slice of life moe blobs and it didn't fall flat on it's face like some of the other train wrecks this past year. I don't believe I've heard anyone say this is the best of anything, but credit is due where it's deserved. I hope KyoAni continues to incorporate their style of animation with more serious tones like this series reached for.
Dec 20, 2013 3:13 AM

Jan 2013
Your 2009 ruler totally makes me laugh as you think KyoAni was so golden without moe shit before 2009, which is nonsense, but reading your posts gave me ideas that you're into romance and tearjerking themes(Chuunibyou is the best thing post-2009? LOL). Like it or not, Air and Haruhi made KyoAni famous and rich, and they pretty much went downhill with Kanon, Clanad(the fact that you enjoyed the series doesn't change the history), and Haruhi 2 almost put a period to them. But bang, K-on saved the company. Also, I love how you didn't mention Munto.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 20, 2013 3:47 AM

Dec 2012
Why are you even commenting about their quality? like your empty words represent the opinion of every fan.

Let's look at the facts:

-Moe or cutesy shit or w/e you wanna call it was always there (Lucky star, Air, Kanon, Clannad)
- They dropped the drama genre and key adaptions after 2009.
- K-On sold more and is a bigger hit than most of the pre-2009 list. So Kyo ani dominated more after their flop with Haruhi season 2.

As for my opinion, I think they are heading in the right direction. Trying stuff out of their comfort zone and taking risks like Nichijou, Free and KnK and using their great animation on something that requires good animation like KnK. I hope they keep going like this and never adapt a melodrama title like Clannad or Air ever again or a pure straight forward slice of life .
Dec 20, 2013 4:03 AM

Dec 2012
> Critical acclaim

Oh boy.
Dec 20, 2013 4:20 AM
Dec 2012
Only one good thing about this show was animation. So Kyoto Ani did a great job, but problem is that base material was crap: story had no sense and characters were plain.
Dec 20, 2013 5:12 AM

Jan 2013
Mauno said:
If moe and shallow storylines are your thing, no problem. Critical acclaim doesn't always go hand to hand with disk sales.

fromtheguywholoveschuunibyou

Did I ever say that K-on is my favorite anime? Nope, aside from the fact that I couldn't even finish the 1st season of K-on(if this helps resolve your misunderstanding), I was solely mentioning facts.

tsudecimo said:
> Critical acclaim

Oh boy.

^also this.

I'll try not to reply any more in this thread since this thread is pretty much turned into a flame war.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 20, 2013 11:30 AM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
Why are you even commenting about their quality? like your empty words represent the opinion of every fan.

Let's look at the facts:

-Moe or cutesy shit or w/e you wanna call it was always there (Lucky star, Air, Kanon, Clannad)
- They dropped the drama genre and key adaptions after 2009.
- K-On sold more and is a bigger hit than most of the pre-2009 list. So Kyo ani dominated more after their flop with Haruhi season 2.

As for my opinion, I think they are heading in the right direction. Trying stuff out of their comfort zone and taking risks like Nichijou, Free and KnK and using their great animation on something that requires good animation like KnK. I hope they keep going like this and never adapt a melodrama title like Clannad or Air ever again or a pure straight forward slice of life .

I hope for their sake they try a bit harder next time. They spent way too much time with all the glasses jokes and badly timed comedy. It wasn't until the last couple of episodes where they really tried to step out of their comfort zone, but by then it was already too late. If the entire series was made with the same amount of care and atmosphere as episode 10 then we could have potentially had a really great show.
Dec 20, 2013 7:08 PM
Oct 2012
Mauno said:
Munto was like two episodes long one-shot. Notice how I didn't list the movies either?

Munto was extended to nine episodes, which had 3 arcs. Did very poorly.

Which I think is sad, I may be one of the few people who liked the series, a little bit on the sweet side, but a nice fantasy none the less.
Dec 20, 2013 7:14 PM

Dec 2012
Esclair said:
tsudecimo said:

I hope for their sake they try a bit harder next time. They spent way too much time with all the glasses jokes and badly timed comedy. It wasn't until the last couple of episodes where they really tried to step out of their comfort zone, but by then it was already too late. If the entire series was made with the same amount of care and atmosphere as episode 10 then we could have potentially had a really great show.

I completely agree. Even the comedy significantly got better.
Dec 23, 2013 4:17 AM

Jun 2012
Wecc said:
I vote every anime is done by ufotable for all of eternity

^BAM This guy knows what's up! xD not really I don't know studios that well, but I really fall for great animation, so KyoAni got me with this one.

Dec 24, 2013 1:58 PM

Oct 2007
LordLagann said:
It's like 90% of the haters never heard of KyoAni.....or expected this to be something like a BONES or Madhouse production.

This was one of KyoAni's better shows. It tried to reach for something other then slice of life moe blobs and it didn't fall flat on it's face like some of the other train wrecks this past year. I don't believe I've heard anyone say this is the best of anything, but credit is due where it's deserved. I hope KyoAni continues to incorporate their style of animation with more serious tones like this series reached for.

Credit for what? It was lackluster in just about every regard other than sakuga. Kyoani was clearly overmatched trying to handle a plot line that was more than just cute girls doing cute things for moe otaku as they were with Munto. It's become so increasingly clear where their weaknesses in overall planning are with this series and while not the worst show of the year or even season I would expect and hope it to stand as a huge blow to the idea that Kyoani can handle any type of story just because they are one of the better studios when it comes to animation. Credit should also never be given or due, it should be earned and I'm not see where Kyoani managed to earn it here with the sloppy writing and utter failure to develop characters yet again with one of their shows.

Have some standards people, it didn't have to be the best thing ever, but it'd help if they had at least tried to make what they had work instead of falling back on the same old habits and tendencies yet again. Incidentally the gap between Kyoani and those studios you mentioned when it comes to overall production and planning is so vast I barely think it's fair to be comparing them.
PeacingOutDec 24, 2013 2:03 PM
Dec 25, 2013 4:05 AM

Sep 2009
Kaioshin_Sama said:
LordLagann said:

Credit for what? It was lackluster in just about every regard other than sakuga. Kyoani was clearly overmatched trying to handle a plot line that was more than just cute girls doing cute things for moe otaku as they were with Munto. It's become so increasingly clear where their weaknesses in overall planning are with this series and while not the worst show of the year or even season I would expect and hope it to stand as a huge blow to the idea that Kyoani can handle any type of story just because they are one of the better studios when it comes to animation. Credit should also never be given or due, it should be earned and I'm not see where Kyoani managed to earn it here with the sloppy writing and utter failure to develop characters yet again with one of their shows.

Have some standards people, it didn't have to be the best thing ever, but it'd help if they had at least tried to make what they had work instead of falling back on the same old habits and tendencies yet again. Incidentally the gap between Kyoani and those studios you mentioned when it comes to overall production and planning is so vast I barely think it's fair to be comparing them.

It's called progress. It's also the most I've seen from Kyoani in ages, albeit however lackluster it is. Or do you just assume everything must be absolutely correct the first time around? I'd sit through three more of the sort just to see how they are building on what they understand and hopefully come out with something spectacular.

Honestly, the nerve of some people. How do you expect them to ever break out of moeblobs and empty slice of life shows if all you do is complain about how their not like BONES or Madhouse whenever they try and experiment? There's constructive criticism then there's just being loud.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.