Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 10, 2013 1:06 AM
Aug 2011
I posted this on another forum for the discussion of episode 10 but I ended up writing an exposition on the character development of Kongou. I'm too lazy to edit it for context of MAL so I just copy pasted. I guess it was to garner more sympathy for her character

The entire episode was packed with feels as a whole, but with all of the attention centered on Takao and Iona, I think some people may overlook the significant character development occurring at that short scene with Kongou at the end. I hope my following analysis gives people willing to read this a different viewpoint or greater clarity on the development of the now former flagship of the fleet of fog.

The first time Kongou allows herself emotions, she has the misfortune to have all of them be negative; a yandere obsession to sink Iona, distraught against being relieved of duty, anger against the oppression imposed upon her by Iona's sisters, and last but definitely not least, the utter despair of realizing that the only companion she thought she could always turn to is a fake created by the same individuals who oppressed her? And as a spy with a simple algorithm, no less!

I assume that when viewers first saw Kongou, they had pinned her as an unmovable figure of extreme power; I know I sure did. I thought it not possible (at least until the last couple episodes) that the almighty flagship of the fleet of fog, Kongou, self-proclaimed adamant and 'logical' follower of the admiralty code could make faces of such surprise, distraught, and anger. The tone of her voice changes to boot; rewatch the part when she says "Maya? Maya!" and tell me that doesn't sound desperate and vulnerable. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, but that isn't to say I enjoyed Kongou's descent into her current state.

Kongou has also lost her purpose, forever obeying the admiralty code, because she has already disobeyed it, and was determined by it as unfit to continue being the flagship of the fleet of fog. Granted, she did want to kill Gunzou and sink Iona, but the well-intentioned although misguided motive for that was to hopefully return her fellow mental models back to the way they were before, as the fleet of fog, because that is the only world that she had inhabited and understood. Note that Hyuuga mentioned how Kongou looked like she was enjoying herself more on the island, with everyone else. Ironically, Kongou may suffer the most from existential angst and be the most vulnerable mental model of them all.

Personally, I think she's the most miserable character at the moment. She is powerless, sad, alone, and "experiencing severe impairment to her thought algorithms" AKA emotions, something she never allowed herself. I sincerely hope that people find her character more sympathetic.

(Self-reflection: I wrote random and unorganized crap :'D)
Dec 10, 2013 5:06 AM

Apr 2008
It gets fast since she faced Gunzou on the island.
But her image change probably starts from when Haruna just cut off the line on her. Not her breakdown state like now, but she changed from a cold leader into a lonely king, IMO.
Dec 10, 2013 5:08 AM

Feb 2013
Now I just feel sorry for her.
Dec 10, 2013 5:11 AM

Aug 2012
Kongou's development was indeed the best part of this episode, possibly of the whole series so far. I hope they follow up on this in this season's last episodes, because she is a really interesting character.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Dec 10, 2013 5:13 AM
Jan 2013
Yeah, and now she will probably go mad, cause they want to take away the only thing she has.
Dec 10, 2013 6:55 AM

Apr 2008
Well, have to wait until the lock period expired or she managed to break through.

In the mean time...
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=40211587
Dec 10, 2013 8:15 AM
Aug 2011
nseika said:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=40211587

D: y u do dis

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

127 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

109 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 15, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

196 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 14, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2013

153 by TechOtaku »»
Nov 23, 2022 1:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Elite60 - Oct 7, 2013

242 by Ashhk »»
Aug 27, 2020 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.