Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 30, 2013 10:14 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, so great to see Vorg back.

Run, Vorg run! Damn, I also noticed his skills improved. I really like how Ippo takes him on in the ring already. Good old times. http://i.imgur.com/jQ5ToUv.png
Nov 30, 2013 12:10 PM
May 2007
Well, Vorg is a natural when it comes to boxing. I say in terms of pure technical skill, he is one of the best along with Miyata. But Vorg, even during his first run as a boxer, always had cardio problems. But I do like they still play along with the motif that he says Hiroko as his mother as well. But him and Hama will be a hell of a combination.

But that strategy is so easy to figure out how to beat the Dempsey Roll just by simply stepping back. In the games, whenever the Dempsey Roll is use on me, I just sway back and throw and uppercut or hook. But Sawamura is the type to toy with his opponents and he throws his counters in a way where he lands them before his opponent can put their weight into it. And the Dempsey Roll is suspectable to both Sawamura and Miyata style counters.

Martinez just simply kept his range and just used his jabs.
Nov 30, 2013 1:00 PM

Aug 2010
That was awesome!! Volg totally owned Ippo. The animation during that punch was sooooo gooood >.< Ippo got knocked the hell out of his mind XD

Good Bye Volg u will be missed. Best parting gift ^^

And the end was awesome with Ippo figuring out how to do this and what he needs :D
Nov 30, 2013 1:10 PM

Jul 2012
Great episode, really liked the OST. Sadly I knew something like that would happen this week, freaking manga-fans, even with that the punches during the sparring were awesome. LOL at team Aoki thinking Volg was a noob wtf?? I don't know why but it is until now that I realize how much I like Takamura, way more than Ippo, still is great that he doesn't get to be the main character all the time, but he IS the real boxer of essence
Nov 30, 2013 1:24 PM
Jul 2013
Amazing episode.

Good luck Vorg @ America.
Nov 30, 2013 1:38 PM

Nov 2012
Damn Vorg held back that punch and if Ippo was fighting his challenger he could have died!? Thank god for Vorg then and I can't wait to see ippo's evolved Dempsey Roll. I've been seeing a little preview of that shit in the OP and it look so bad ass, ippo looks like a demon. Cant wait for this match!
Nov 30, 2013 2:02 PM
Apr 2010
Well, Ippo is pretty much ass in spars so no surprise there. Waiting for the match.
Nov 30, 2013 2:07 PM

Nov 2012
NiN10d0h said:
Well, Ippo is pretty much ass in spars so no surprise there. Waiting for the match.

Is that why you think he lost? Ippo is not ass in spars.
Nov 30, 2013 2:14 PM

Feb 2011
Ippo really gave his best in that match and that's exactly why it will help him a lot. Now that he figured out a way to defeat him I'm sure he will do it , he's been in even worse situations in the past.

Great episode 5/5. And dat animation <3 HNNNG
Nov 30, 2013 4:31 PM

May 2012
Amazing episode with some of the best animation to date. Can't wait for the actual fight even if I've already read every chapter of the manga. Seeing all of it in motion will be so good.

Despite how good this episode is it brings back up one complaint I have about this series. Some characters dependence on certain finishing moves. Like Ippo and his Dempesey Roll. He should be good enough of a boxer to be able to win without such a technique and eith just pure skill and strenght. Just like how Sawamura, Ricardo Martinez and especially Takamura does it.

But nonetheless, it stays my second favorite manga/anime ever.
Nov 30, 2013 4:47 PM

Jul 2010
Amazing OST, the scene of the departure of Vorg with Ippo's mother, was fucking sad.
Now can't wait to see Ippo's Dempsey to evolve once again.

Oh, the pop-rock OST in the end, might be a preview of the next ending theme?

NiN10d0h said:

??
Nov 30, 2013 5:34 PM

Jun 2011
Holy shit..Madhouse!!! they took it to another level..!!
http://im39.gulfup.com/BE3YQ.jpg

the sparring match was awesome specially R3!
Vorg/Ippo's Mother scene was sad..! and the OST <3
loved the episode.. 5/5
Nov 30, 2013 5:39 PM

May 2013
if that was the case.. why not do the dempsy roll when the opponent is cornered?

like sendo technique in corners.. then it's still a blind spot..

but still vulnerable to counters though
Nov 30, 2013 8:19 PM

Apr 2012
The problem with Ippo's Dempsey roll is he always required that swinging motion in order to pull the punches. Granted, Jack Dempsey also do that swinging motion but not to a certain extent as Ippo and the barrage of punches can come off as unpredictable for the opponent because he doesn't know when Dempsey is gonna pull it off. But then again, it's the punch that use most of the time since Dempsey is a fucking brawler.

Watch this video for example: http://youtu.be/N2DPGFWT_Zc 0:33

Also, i remember from an interview where Muhammad Ali claims that he can easily beat Dempsey excluding in a brawl or exchange of punches.
RedgraveGilverNov 30, 2013 8:23 PM
Nov 30, 2013 8:21 PM

Jan 2009
Ippo is out cold lol what a counter punch by Vorg
Nov 30, 2013 11:02 PM

Jun 2010
there goes volg...i'll miss him again :(
Nov 30, 2013 11:25 PM

Sep 2012
Ippo, Japanese Featherweight boxing champ known for almost effortlessly taking down some the biggest, strongest, and most ruthless boxers in the whole world.........taken down in ONE punch by a man who hasn't boxed in over a year. Nice...

AGAIN, THIS OST THOUGH <3<3<3
Rest In Peace [img]
Nov 30, 2013 11:52 PM
Mar 2013
Orochisansama said:
Ippo, Japanese Featherweight boxing champ known for almost effortlessly taking down some the biggest, strongest, and most ruthless boxers in the whole world.........taken down in ONE punch by a man who hasn't boxed in over a year. Nice...

AGAIN, THIS OST THOUGH <3<3<3
Vorg OP

So basically his Dempsey Roll evolution is just reversing the direction? Hmm, not what I was expecting.
Nov 30, 2013 11:59 PM

Oct 2013
This is episode was so amazing. I was absolutely captivated. Great pacing and perfect use of the soundtrack. It really blew me away.

Matetrix said:

Which anime is your favourite then? I'm just curious because this is my favourite anime of all time so we might have similar tastes.
Dec 1, 2013 3:36 AM

Feb 2013
Glad it showed him saying farewell to Ippo's mother
wonder if Ippo is gonna be able to change his dempsey roll's rhythm
Dec 1, 2013 3:54 AM
Sep 2012
i don't know why people are making it seem like Ippo was weak in the spar. If the spar continued without Ippo using the dempsey, Volg would have lost because of his weak stamina reserves and Ippo's power would have eventually overwhelmed him.

Great episode by they way.

EDIT: It was so funny when everybody were shocked when Volg knocked out Ippo but the Coach and Takamura were perfectly calm.
AVKVDec 1, 2013 3:59 AM
Dec 1, 2013 4:20 AM
Dec 2013
Amazing episode 5/5 <3 <3
can't wait for the real match.
Dec 1, 2013 6:24 AM
Apr 2011
Ippo got KOed like Pacquiao.

Ippo should emulate Nonito Donaire if he really wants to evolve his Dempsey Roll. Nonito actually uses a variant of Dempsey Roll. Instead of using upper body motion to make a momentum, he uses the sidestep motion to create the momentum and he changes his punches from hooks to uppercuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZEUgchKUrk
Dec 1, 2013 6:34 AM

Apr 2009
Making the Dempsey Roll unpredictable by changing the rhythm puts stress on the legs and back, it's long term use is probably damaging. X_X I'm grateful that he really can think for himself now and aware that coach left it to him to realize it and decide.

Ah Volg left for America, I don't read the manga but I hope to see him again in the future as he promised.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Dec 1, 2013 6:34 AM
Mar 2013
Anyone knows the insert song near the end? I really want it bad :>
Dec 1, 2013 7:29 AM

Feb 2011
A great episode :D great pacing, visuals and soundtrack as usual.
I love Volg and he was magnificient in this ep. I hope he starts winning in actual fights.
Dec 1, 2013 7:39 AM
Feb 2013
Too bad that in a friendly match Ippo had his Dempsey roll outclassed.
Dec 1, 2013 8:46 AM

Nov 2010
Wow, that was the best episode yet. i loved every second of it.
Dec 1, 2013 9:19 AM
May 2013
i found out what the music was, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7frK_fjLFw , IM SO F****** ADDICTED !!!!!!!!
Dec 1, 2013 10:55 AM
Jul 2013
The coach is always one step ahead of the game. sucks to see vorg leave but i can totally see those two duking it out on the world stage. before that though sawamura is itching to pummel ippo, last episode showed what a monster he is
Dec 1, 2013 1:50 PM

Dec 2009
Awesome Episode, so motivational. That insert song near the end was by Pay money To my Pain - Weight of my pride. Same guys who did the OP for One Outs, love this track so much!!
Dec 1, 2013 3:58 PM

Apr 2013
This season of Hajime no Ippo is amazing.
Great ost, animation and action, and this episode was no different.
Dec 1, 2013 4:43 PM

Aug 2010
Volg! Sad to see him go.. Thanks to him Ippo has now found out his weakness and found a way to overcome it.

Can't wait to see the fight between Sawamura.
Dec 1, 2013 6:50 PM
Jul 2018

Glad that Volg sparred with Ippo and it was an intense 3-round fight btw.
Anyway. Sendou's sparring partner was Sawamura, right? Did Sendou was beaten by him?
Dec 1, 2013 7:52 PM

Dec 2011
Vorg just got here and now he's leaving..that sucks

Dec 1, 2013 7:55 PM
Mar 2013
Chikuita said:

Glad that Volg sparred with Ippo and it was an intense 3-round fight btw.
Anyway. Sendou's sparring partner was Sawamura, right? Did Sendou was beaten by him?
In the anime it was mentioned that Sawamura dominated Sendou during their sparring matches.

kittyn said:
Vorg just got here and now he's leaving..that sucks
Agreed, it really sucks ;_;

Hopefully he'l stick around longer the next time we see him.
Dec 1, 2013 8:13 PM
May 2007
THe next episode should hopefully show why Sendo and Sawamura know each other, and why Sawamura is close to his former teacher.
Dec 1, 2013 10:30 PM

Apr 2011
I think this had to be one of the best epds of Rising thus far.

5/5 BTW animation, and OST were Amazing!
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Dec 1, 2013 11:25 PM
Jan 2011
Oh fuck, just a filler episode, GET THAT FIGHT GOING ALREADY!!!!
Dec 2, 2013 12:14 AM
May 2007
It was not a filler, all this material was in the manga.
Dec 2, 2013 5:27 AM

May 2012
Nasty001 said:
Oh fuck, just a filler episode, GET THAT FIGHT GOING ALREADY!!!!
If you say that his is filler you don't know what filler is. All of this was in the manga. There is no need for fillers, the anime is even skipping a lot of things. Personally I'd want them to make as much of the manga into the anime but that would make the anime go on forever.
Dec 2, 2013 5:29 AM

May 2012
msdrakegx said:
This is episode was so amazing. I was absolutely captivated. Great pacing and perfect use of the soundtrack. It really blew me away.

Matetrix said:

Which anime is your favourite then? I'm just curious because this is my favourite anime of all time so we might have similar tastes.

It's a pretty boring answer but for me nothing has managed to top One Piece.
Dec 2, 2013 5:36 AM

Feb 2009
Woah...

PS.
Vorg's Russian is so bad, lol.
Sent with Mal Updater

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Dec 2, 2013 10:09 AM

Jan 2010
jayvon said:
Damn Vorg held back that punch and if Ippo was fighting his challenger he could have died!? Thank god for Vorg then and I can't wait to see ippo's evolved Dempsey Roll. I've been seeing a little preview of that shit in the OP and it look so bad ass, ippo looks like a demon. Cant wait for this match!

In the OP that isn't Ippo. It's the demon himself, Sawamura.
Dec 3, 2013 10:58 AM

Nov 2012
Feedus said:
jayvon said:

In the OP that isn't Ippo. It's the demon himself, Sawamura.

I know who's who. What I was saying is that when Ippo is doing his Dempsey Roll in the OP he looks like a demon. Also both Ippo and Sawamura are in the OP, it's like a little preview of their match.
Dec 3, 2013 5:41 PM

Oct 2013
Matetrix said:
msdrakegx said:

Matetrix said:

It's a pretty boring answer but for me nothing has managed to top One Piece.

Haha, you're right, that is a pretty boring answer but it's respectable nonetheless. Despite being drastically different, I think HnI and One Piece share one important thing in common. Both shows keep getting better while expanding the world they're set within. The reason why I personally think HnI is the superior show, however, is because I find it more relatable since it's set in a much more realistic setting, because I think it's funnier and because I think that One Piece has really decreased in quality ever since the time skip. I actually think that the time skip destroyed all of the momentum the show worked so long to build up and it hasn't been as good ever since. Pre time skip, I don't know which show I would say is better though.

Either way, both are great and I can't wait for next weeks episode! I'm dying to see Ippo vs Sawamura!! This fight can't come fast enough
Dec 4, 2013 2:05 AM

Jan 2013
Wow... Vorg destroyed ippo :/
Hope ippo can learn :D
Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.- Tifa lockhart
Which is it? A memory or us? -Tifa lockhart
Dec 4, 2013 3:35 AM
May 2007
ChaosLegion said:
Woah...

PS.
Vorg's Russian is so bad, lol.
Sent with Mal Updater

Hawk's Engrish was worse in the manga but New Challenger was dumb for taking out much of his Engrish which made his character more funny

Dec 4, 2013 5:10 AM

Jun 2008
Japanese people trying to talk in different language - the most annoying thing in anime ever.
Dec 6, 2013 1:21 PM
Dec 2013
Hey guys,

I'm a big fan of Hajime no Ippo, just like you are, hehe )) Glad to be part of this forum.

I hope you're all reading manga as well, Rising episodes are awesome but fights aren't as 'explosive' as they used to be in the first or second seasons, that's a bit sad.

As for 9th episode, Zangief is as amazing as always, he's my 1st number boxer/character from this anime, second is Sendo and than comes Ippo.

I wish a match against Sawamura will not be short (like a match against Shimabukuro), and they shouldn't skip an incident with Sawamura and Kumi (if you read manga, you know what I mean).

Anyway, series are totally awesome, I re-watch it twice a week, lol.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

shyuga8499 - Nov 9, 2013

70 by Meritas »»
May 25, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Daipyon - Oct 12, 2013

80 by Meritas »»
May 11, 4:10 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ValeBreck - Oct 5, 2013

158 by Meritas »»
May 11, 2:48 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2014

164 by KingAFONY »»
Apr 29, 1:31 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

weiss - Oct 19, 2013

75 by Ukkaz »»
Apr 19, 10:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.