Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 27, 2013 6:13 PM

May 2013
Great episode, not much to say after all the replies so far.

I will, however, point out that the show is based on an ONGOING light novel series, and while it is possible to continue a light novel series in which the main character dies... it is very unlikely that any story will permanently kill off a main character until the end. This is simply because it destroys the "tragic ending" feeling so they save it till the end and allow all the feelings, emotions, and drama build up till his death. Without that tension, viewers only continue watching due to their own surprise, and oftentimes the story doesn't have a very good ending, thereby disappointing fans.

Thus, if they kill him off early, they probably intend to bring him back in some way or another. If he is truly immortal, then it may be possible for him to die while he is weakened and come back to life once the power in is body is no longer being suppressed by the calm. In any case, this episode was quite sad and tragic, I even got misty eyed near the end.

I wouldn't mind if they killed him off... but they really have set up the show so that they can be just as successful with either route, the only caveat being that if he dies permanently light novel sales wouldn't increase as much as they would have otherwise. In any dark fantasy you have to wonder what sort of effect the dark half will have on the viewers, so I'm less interested in his death and more so on the darkness that looms afterwards.

What if he isn't the Kyoukai no Kanata, and they have actually killed some paragon of light or force by which they could have slain such a youmu? Imagine how dark the sentiments could get then. How would Mirai feel having killed a friend for no good reason? I doubt they'd do this, but it would be pretty cool / screwed up. In any case, speculating is a dangerous business and more often than not speculation are no better than fifty-fifty. I'll stick to watching the show rather than predicting it.
Nov 27, 2013 6:24 PM

Feb 2013
I feel like even if she kills him as soon as the calm is over he's probably gonna revive or something along that line, hate all these cliffhangers :\
Nov 27, 2013 7:26 PM

Jul 2012
I hope she did not kill him. *saw the next episode preview* CRAP!!!

Great episode!!!
Nov 27, 2013 7:37 PM

Jan 2009
lol i doubt he will die but good tension right there
Nov 27, 2013 7:40 PM

Sep 2013
Vnime said:
maybe he dies and then comes back as just a normal human after this
That would be interesting.

I'm surprised that nobody has said this, but couldn't 'Beyond the Boundary' be Aki's father? It would make sense that Izumi thinks it was part of him since DNA-wise it would be :P
Nov 27, 2013 8:17 PM

Apr 2012
With another 4 episodes to go, it's pretty obvious he won't die, or at the very least - won't stay dead.
Nov 27, 2013 8:18 PM

May 2013
Yeah, this show has really picked up the last few weeks after 2 consecutive filler episodes. I'm really interested to see if all these plot holes will get filled like "who is his dad" and "WTF are they talking about with aki and the beyond the boundary nonsense" along with all the secrets and motives behind the older sister and the bad guy with the glasses. If it all gets resolved within the last few episodes this show will have easily surpassed my expectations. But yeah, I feel like aki isn't dead because it just flat out doesn't happen that a main male lead is killed off before the last 2 episodes or so. I bet she "kills" him, thinks he's dead, but then realizes she was tricked and aki is still immortal, then the sister or the society takes him away for some unknown reason.
Nov 27, 2013 8:21 PM

Nov 2007
The Calm ended just when Mirai was about to stab Akihito... or, something I would like to think. Overall, a very good episode, probably the series' best so far.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 27, 2013 8:53 PM

Nov 2013
I hope they get to see each other again in the last episode or somethng. the ending of each episode where Mirai is offering her hand to Aki, I hope that happens.

can't wait to see more. the battle cry from Mirai final charge, pierced my heart. T^T
Nov 27, 2013 9:15 PM

Oct 2007
I would be beyond surprised if a show by Kyoani, the studio where there are pretty well never lasting consequences for anything allowed for their to be lasting consequences here. If it were almost any other producer there might be room for the slightest benefit of the doubt, but not ol' by the book Kyoani. Akihito will be just fine as others have already said.

Parisbelle said:
Yeah, no. Even if Akihito ends up being dead, KyoAni can’t possibly make the next episode as light hearted as the preview makes it out. That’s just pushing it too far.

lol wanna bet?
Nov 27, 2013 9:35 PM
Nov 2013
Please don't die Akihito. Your the only good thing in this show. Don't do it.
Nov 27, 2013 10:03 PM

Jul 2013
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

a lot of feels this episode.
"Anything is possible if you stop doubting yourself, so put some more faith unto you!"
Nov 27, 2013 11:53 PM

Jul 2013
Astounding episode though, the animation, action, and Akkey's youmu form were top notch.

Mirai has two things to decide: Save Akkey or Kill him, and the answer to that is the cliffhanger ending... Wonder what will happen to him. Also I like how Sakura gets along with Mirai now, all them hugging and stuff :D.

Nov 28, 2013 12:15 AM

Nov 2011
I don't believe Akkey has died for good, if he has wow what a shock though xD

Good episode anyway :D
Nov 28, 2013 12:17 AM

Aug 2012
This episode was better than expected. I already foresaw this confrontation since he was revealed to be a youmu and here it was. I expected a longer and more glorious fight though.

Preview says that Akkey is dead for 2 weeks now. I hope that he's really dead, not that I hate him, but I don't like twists wherein they kill the MC but suddenly he's alive.
Nov 28, 2013 12:25 AM

Nov 2013
Pretty good episode, the only fault I found is that I don't understand Mirai's motivation for killing Akkey. The only one I can see is that she can't find a way to logically disagree with the notion, although I kind of hoped we wouldn't have to go through the "I won't say I'm in love" chorus.

I think we can all agree that Akkey won't die. At least not permanently. The true question is how he manages to evade the reaper. (I kind of like to think everybody not already involved in a conspiracy gets together and fakes his death. ;)
Nov 28, 2013 12:32 AM

Feb 2009
Kurini said:
If I were to watch this without sub: "Akihito shinda hazu yo"
which, I would have interpreted as "He is supposedly dead"
But my japanese is definitely not perfect. Going to rewatch with UTW.

Anyway, i believe that he's not dead.

Yeah, I think you're right! I don't know what happened when they were translating the preview, but "hazu" means probably/must. If that's the case, either they THINK he's dead or she's saying he SHOULD have died two weeks ago.

Sigh. I guess we won't know for sure until next week!
Nov 28, 2013 12:39 AM

Oct 2012
Darn you and your cliffhangers KnK :PPPP

As always, the ED fits in right at the best moment :) Hopefully kicked the bucket does not mean he's dead.

Nov 28, 2013 1:36 AM

Mar 2013
This would be fun if Akihito dies XD
Nov 28, 2013 1:56 AM

Jan 2011
Mirari vs Youmu Akkey was a nice battle. I think one of the Nase siblings are going to stop Mirai right before she stabs him.

>Next episode is swimsuit episode
Oh yes.
[center]
Nov 28, 2013 2:25 AM

Apr 2007
Oh god, without Aki all we've got is Mirai aka the least interesting character in the series.
Nov 28, 2013 2:37 AM

Jun 2012
Dammit man, I was really worried she was going to kill him. The way it ended though makes me suspect that he won't die, I mean if she was going to kill him I'd think the sword would at least pierce his chest at the end... also he was already stabbed once through the chest in that fight, who's to say he can't survive it again? Also, why go to the trouble of blatantly stating that he "kicked the bucket" in the preview? Although, I could definitely see it happening in this series for some reason.

My only problem this episode was when Hiroomi jumped up like 20 feet... I mean I could see some characters doing it, and Izumi and that bespectacled dude did it, but there seemed to be some magic involved. Hiroomi however, literally just jumped high enough to make InuYasha proud without flexing a muscle.

plot178 said:
cmon ppl how many anime have Successfully Killed off their Main Male Character and gotten away with it? Besides Akihito is to freaking Funny and ridiculous to be Killed off. i bet you guys she disolves her sword at the last second and ends up hugging him/kissing him.
That's pretty bad reasoning... what other animes do/have done has nothing to do with this series. There's always the rare times that it does work. Just because it is uncommon doesn't necessarily mean it can't happen... besides I think Mirai is really more of the main character than Akihito, and she did have to do this same thing before. However, not necessarily saying you're wrong that he'll live.

heiqi1hu said:
Funny how Mirai couldn't kill youmu until now she can be a ruthless killing machine...
I wouldn't call her ruthless... I mean she failed killing him twice in that fight because she hesitated... ruthlessness doesn't hesitate.
rodacFeb 4, 2014 2:32 PM
Nov 28, 2013 3:10 AM

Jun 2013
There is no way they can kill. Did you not look at the other forums. MIrai is the least liked character in the show, and with Akki dead she would e the main character. I don't think that would fly. I mean she is a barely acceptable character when she is a side character and now I have to follow her.

Also the show is called beyond the boundary, not cursed blood clan; akki has a stronger tie to the focus of the show, so once again it would make no sense.

And for the record last time a Main was replaced, Kira Yamato from Seed, the show tanked. And eventually they brought him back.
Nov 28, 2013 3:20 AM

Feb 2011
That's KyoAni for you !

Yeah , that was a great episode hands down.
Nov 28, 2013 4:00 AM
Feb 2013
I don't think Akkey will die, in next episode preview I saw Mirai wearing glasses that Akkey going to give her as present.
Nov 28, 2013 4:15 AM

Dec 2009
silentway said:
in next episode preview I saw Mirai wearing glasses that Akkey going to give her as present.

nice catch, i didn't even notice that
Nov 28, 2013 4:40 AM

Nov 2012
krownklown said:
MIrai is the least liked character in the show

Funny how everyone said this and whenever I saw fanarts / avatars in internet about this anime are most likely Mirai's.
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Nov 28, 2013 5:01 AM

Sep 2012
KyoAni really know how make a cliffhanger, they make the people looking forward to the next episode. The visuals gotten better.

Ayaka-san holding Ai-chan by her mouth was so cute

Izumi is still a badass lady.

Oh, Mirai's plan is to kill Akihito. I'm 100% sure that he will not die, he will not die by just stabbing him.

Akihito's youmu form and powers was really awesome, it would be more awesome if he can control it.

Dang, can't next week XD
Nov 28, 2013 5:14 AM
Oct 2011
RIP Akihito, you were the only non shit character in the show.
Nov 28, 2013 5:21 AM

May 2010
Amazing episode and just loved the animation
Nov 28, 2013 5:40 AM

Oct 2012
Akihito probably won't die (unless he gets revived.) If Kyoani actually did that sales for the anime would probably drop dramatically, and sales are one of the most important things for a studio. (Just look at the idol episode.)
Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
Nov 28, 2013 6:03 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode I assumed he would have a certain effect on me, and I suppose instead that it was rejected! Too bad! D:
It is not that the plot is so bad, while not giving any plot twist really juicy.
I would say that the narrative is too dark and without teeth at me disappointed. However, from what we have seen in the narrative, soon there should be fireworks between the goon with glasses and Izumi-san. It was not bad then the fighting style of Izumi such as Mirai against Akkey, at least in terms of graphics KyoAni is maintaining an excellent level! * _ *
But it was a little strange battles between Akkey and Mirai, maybe it was a desired effect to show the stages farie jerky or am I too old to be! LOL
Oh well as give him a good rating 5/5, because maybe my doubts are the basis of this day without sunshine and rainy so ^ ^ "

Barion-Zara said:

Nxt ep pv...Aki is dead? O_o? Or is it a troll? XD

Troll! X°°D
Nov 28, 2013 6:18 AM

Aug 2013
Sooo Akki was part of that "beyond the boundary"? wait, wat? It's quite confusing.

I feel bad for Kuriyama-san ordered to kill akki... I want their life to be back to normal, performing as an Idol and akki going after mirai's pictures.
Nov 28, 2013 7:06 AM

Oct 2012
Was she wearing the black glasses that she saw in the magazine that Akihito planned to give to her?
Nov 28, 2013 7:08 AM

Oct 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Parisbelle said:
Yeah, no. Even if Akihito ends up being dead, KyoAni can’t possibly make the next episode as light hearted as the preview makes it out. That’s just pushing it too far.

lol wanna bet?

Lol, sure. ;)
Nov 28, 2013 7:22 AM

Nov 2012
uuh wait isn't akihito supposed to be immortal? how are they supposed to kill him.. it bothered me the entire episode...
Nov 28, 2013 7:30 AM

Jun 2013
Amazing episode as always! It was also depressing as hell though!
Nov 28, 2013 7:32 AM

Apr 2010
Not my type of episode to much action, at least some drama in there as well to make up for it.
It's also nice to see what's going to happen with the Hollow and what they needed the stone for, shame it ended up in that guys hands i don't like him.
Akihito's death seems to obvious suggesting he will still be alive next episode, i wonder what will happen tho since the preview did look a bit weird.
Nov 28, 2013 7:33 AM

Dec 2009
silverwalls said:
uuh wait isn't akihito supposed to be immortal? how are they supposed to kill him.. it bothered me the entire episode...

It was said during the episode during the "beyond the boundary" is the only time it's possible to kill him, go re-watch the part where izumi and mirai talk
Nov 28, 2013 8:16 AM

Nov 2012
Kumagawa said:
silverwalls said:

It was said during the episode during the "beyond the boundary" is the only time it's possible to kill him, go re-watch the part where izumi and mirai talk

oops seems i missed that, thank you
Nov 28, 2013 8:23 AM

May 2013
Hopefully he doesn't die :c
Cliffhangers .____.

Anyways, how many episodes are there going to be? 10? 13? :o
Nov 28, 2013 8:52 AM

Feb 2013
busydude said:
Hopefully he doesn't die :c
Cliffhangers .____.

Anyways, how many episodes are there going to be? 10? 13? :o

Should be 13.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Nov 28, 2013 9:52 AM

Sep 2012
A major turn to serious drama with action thrown in. Can be a bit rushed at times but generally it flows well.

And several weeks ago I said that the one with ulterior motive is not the teacher but someone else, and so it is proved here.

I also like how we don't have the usual development like she could not stab him at the last minute or he suddenly wakes up as human at the last minute. It seems Mirai really meant to kill him (though I don't quite get how she got so determined this time)

From the trailer we know Aki is supposed to get killed, though I suspect he will come back to life at the end (perhaps he is never killed in the first place)
symbvNov 28, 2013 9:56 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 28, 2013 9:53 AM

Apr 2013
Ok, that was sad.
Kinda confused about the preview. She said he is dead, but the fact that she was spacing out in a swimming pool contrasts entirely with it.
Soooo...
Nov 28, 2013 10:22 AM

Apr 2012
It would be badass if Akkey could actually return with 'some' control over his youmu powers, beating the crap out Miroku and Izumi.

Probably won't happen since he's either dead or will come back as only human.

"fuyukai desu" T_T
RSmokeNov 28, 2013 10:30 AM
Nov 28, 2013 10:27 AM

Oct 2013
nooooo, that cliffhanger, noooooooooo

this is why I usually wait until a series has ended and then marathon it ;____;

COME BACK, AKKEY
Nov 28, 2013 10:28 AM

Jul 2013
This episode made me love Hiromi even more.

I feel kinda bad for Mirai, but mostly Akkey uVu.

Them fighting was sad. Especially Mirai's scream combined with the godly ED.

Cliffhanger GAHHHH.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Nov 28, 2013 11:44 AM
Nov 2013
This episode inspired me, so I did a little something

http://ossamu.deviantart.com/art/Kyoukai-no-Kanata-416368848
Nov 28, 2013 12:35 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode. Nice animation.
Nov 28, 2013 12:57 PM

Oct 2007
llEmmerdeurll said:
RIP Akihito, you were the only non shit character in the show.

All the characters are pretty bad. Its why its hard to care about the resolution either way. Too quote Ivan Drago from Rocky IV, "If he dies....he dies". Again though that'll never happen cause Kyoani can't pass up the opportunity for a super sappy 100% sugar sweet ending.

Not only limited to that reason I stand by my claim that people are giving this creative team way too much credit here but then what else is new. This episode pulls all the lazy half hearted tricks it can to try to invoke that last arc Kyoani style melodrama and again tries to have its cake and eat it too by still including random fan service shower scenes and brief fetish talk and not to mention the pacing is all over the place for anyone actually willing to notice. The setup in caring about thecast enough for tthis episode to work just isn't there. Once again technically good in some areas but the soulessness of most of the developments on this show kills it dead.
PeacingOutNov 28, 2013 1:03 PM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.