Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Log Horizon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 24, 2013 4:37 AM

Sep 2012
The author of the LN really likes to talk about commerce and how important in the development of the society. He talked about it a lot in MaoYuu and he talked about it in Log Horizon.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 24, 2013 5:44 AM

May 2012
Just some thoughts here.

It could be possible that they were either "scamming" the guilds or with-holding information to use as leverage. Or they are doing both in one go. Description of episode somewhere stated "Back at the meeting, Shiroe has Henrietta play a dangerous game of baiting the three guild masters into investing the remaining amount of gold under the false pretense of an extremely profitable legendary Novasphere Pioneers quest led by non other than the "Villain in Glasses" himself—Shiroe."

It could also be possible that they discovered a new recipe for Roc eggs as a reward when they fought the new boss added in expansion pack when going through the Ratman pass. So they sounded as though they will be selling information to these three guilds. (Hence the cookbook part.) However, this might not be as profitable as it sounded during that meeting.
Nov 24, 2013 6:03 AM

Sep 2012
sentience said:
It could be possible that they were either "scamming" the guilds or with-holding information to use as leverage. Or they are doing both in one go.
I don't think the theme of this anime is this cynical. Most probably they are uniting the guilds into doing something positive about the whole environment. They could not disclose their mission of crushing the bad guild (as Shiroe said, since people cannot get killed it is extremely difficult to stop people from disbanding a guild) because other guilds would not think it worthwhile but once it is done they will see the worth and point of such endeavor and they will combine their effort to make the place better for everyone. The title in the next episode "roundtable conference" seems to be pointing to this direction too.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 24, 2013 6:19 AM
Jan 2010
However, this might not be as profitable as it sounded during that meeting.

Everything can be profitable if you're talking to the three greatest production guilds in Akiba.
And that's what Shiroe and Henrietta are exploiting.
Nov 24, 2013 6:20 AM

May 2012
symbv said:
sentience said:
It could be possible that they were either "scamming" the guilds or with-holding information to use as leverage. Or they are doing both in one go.
I don't think the theme of this anime is this cynical. Most probably they are uniting the guilds into doing something positive about the whole environment. They could not disclose their mission of crushing the bad guild (as Shiroe said, since people cannot get killed it is extremely difficult to stop people from disbanding a guild) because other guilds would not think it worthwhile but once it is done they will see the worth and point of such endeavor and they will combine their effort to make the place better for everyone. The title in the next episode "roundtable conference" seems to be pointing to this direction too.

I know that's the big plan here but I was thinking in smaller terms, as in having to get that money from pulling off such a "scam" or "lying by omission" from that. That's the whole point of the negotiations, and why it was very risky for Henrietta there. Those three poor fools were thinking in terms of monetary gain for themselves only. I hope they would be able to see the bigger picture of "profitable" here in terms of revitalising the game economy by the end of the next few episodes.

Obviously, to give off the real plan to crush the bad guilds is too risky because certain big guilds are using the bad guilds to farm exp pots for levelling.

Orix said:
However, this might not be as profitable as it sounded during that meeting.

Everything can be profitable if you're talking to the three greatest production guilds in Akiba.
And that's what Shiroe and Henrietta are exploiting.

Not so profitable monetarily for the 3 production guilds if things end up being disclosed in other ways.
sentienceNov 24, 2013 6:24 AM
Nov 24, 2013 6:34 AM

Aug 2013
This episode title Villain in Glasses, I thought there's an enemy among those who they've talked to at the meeting, but it's Shiroe's nick, hahahaha. I'm getting more and more excited as they were closing in saving those 2 kids. Even though there's no romance in this, it's quite good, but I hope there is..
Nov 24, 2013 7:39 AM

May 2012
Very boring episode with no action. Not just this episode. but last few episodes were also boring. Where is the actions ? boss battles ? What about romance ?

SAO is miles better than this. SAO might have a lot of flaws but, but none of the episodes were boring to watch.
Nov 24, 2013 8:12 AM

Aug 2013
5/5.
Nov 24, 2013 8:41 AM

Jun 2013
thepath said:
Very boring episode with no action. Not just this episode. but last few episodes were also boring. Where is the actions ? boss battles ? What about romance ?

SAO is miles better than this. SAO might have a lot of flaws but, but none of the episodes were boring to watch.

I suggest dropping this anime. I think there might come more ''talk'' episodes.
Nov 24, 2013 8:56 AM
May 2013
thepath said:

You won't see any action or battle for 3-4 next eps
so if you are just a Fanboy of sex art,
Get the Fu** out
Nov 24, 2013 9:04 AM
Jul 2013
thepath said:

Lol, even though I enjoy SAO it honestly has nothing on this.
Nov 24, 2013 9:22 AM

Nov 2012
nice episode.. almost make me dont understand.. lol
anyway.
nice plan shiroe. so what next? killing those guys? lol :o
Nov 24, 2013 9:31 AM

Aug 2013
Shiroe's strategic/political skills are so good, it makes you wonder why he's in engineering! I guess if that's what he finds more fun IRL, then so be it. I think some of his success comes from the fact that IRL, most of the people that play the game are NOT high level businessmen or politicians and are therefore somewhat more susceptible to his Machiavellian plans...
Nov 24, 2013 10:39 AM

Jun 2013
This show is SMART and feels like an MMO.

Said it before and will say it again: So far LH>>>>SAO.
Nov 24, 2013 11:16 AM
Jan 2012
Not much action in this episode but I still really enjoyed it. I also believe the pace is really smooth and on point with what it should be for such a large cast of characters. Can't wait for Shiroe's turn to fight :D

thepath said:

I really enjoyed SAO even amongst all of the hate people found for it. But going into this anime and expecting it to be like SAO is a flat out mistake. Log Horizon is taking the whole 'trapped in a video game' plot in a completely different direction. A good direction.

Mod Edit: Double post combined.
rodacNov 25, 2013 11:26 PM
Nov 24, 2013 1:04 PM

Sep 2010
PaleBlue said:
Shiroe's strategic/political skills are so good, it makes you wonder why he's in engineering! I guess if that's what he finds more fun IRL, then so be it. I think some of his success comes from the fact that IRL, most of the people that play the game are NOT high level businessmen or politicians and are therefore somewhat more susceptible to his Machiavellian plans...
Engineering involves plenty of analysis and problem solving, so it doesn't seem too far-fetched to me that an engineer in real life could be a strategist in-game. However, when it comes to manipulating real people... I don't think being an engineer helps much. -That- part would have to come from Shiroe as an individual I guess. O.o?

I'm going to need a character relation chart to avoid getting lost with this huge cast. >.< Also, why doesn't myanimelist sort characters alphabetically by first name when they don't have a last name? They seem to be sorted by character ID number now, which isn't that helpful. =/
Nov 24, 2013 2:51 PM
Nov 2012
thepath said:

People enjoy LH because it's about gaming. It has gaming as a core plot device. It follows gaming in terms of skill cooldowns, hunting, farming items, strategizing, buddy list, gaming economy/market, in-game items. It doesn't use "gaming" as a gimmick, it is a core plot. They show the "back-end" of gaming, how it works, just like a store, the back-end is where you see and understand how the store operate.

SAO is a "Hack and slash" that uses gaming as a gimmick. They showed a few "gaming things" but gaming isn't a core plot device of the show. They used a town portal a few times, saw an HP bar sometimes, and fought a few bosses, that was all just the front-end of gaming to show off good animation. Like a store, the front-end is the pretty parts that makes people say "Oo's and Ahh's". It's like watching a video game trailer that only shows cutscenes and no gamepley, that's what SAO is... and Asuna.

TL;DR:
LH = Gaming anime
SAO = Asuna anime
Nov 24, 2013 3:05 PM

Oct 2010
thepath said:

You're joking....right?
Nov 24, 2013 5:19 PM

Mar 2012
I wonder why it keeps getting compared with SAO.
It isn't about getting out of the game, isn't about romance, isn't about action, isn't even about an Virtual Reality game.
Nothing but the game aspect is similar to SAO, and even so, they're dealing with it in a very different manner.
Nov 24, 2013 9:05 PM

May 2012
thepath said:

I think you are going into Log Horizon with the wrong expectations. Everything that you said, SAO will provide, but there are still things missing from SAO that Log Horizon have provided so far (realistic gameworld, balanced support system, anarchy, cheating and exploitation, economy problems, etc).
Nov 24, 2013 11:35 PM

Oct 2013
great episode :D

Nov 25, 2013 1:10 AM

Feb 2011
why am i still watching this show about mmo politics
Nov 25, 2013 5:43 AM

Nov 2013
baboomrr said:
thepath said:

People enjoy LH because it's about gaming. It has gaming as a core plot device. It follows gaming in terms of skill cooldowns, hunting, farming items, strategizing, buddy list, gaming economy/market, in-game items. It doesn't use "gaming" as a gimmick, it is a core plot. They show the "back-end" of gaming, how it works, just like a store, the back-end is where you see and understand how the store operate.

SAO is a "Hack and slash" that uses gaming as a gimmick. They showed a few "gaming things" but gaming isn't a core plot device of the show. They used a town portal a few times, saw an HP bar sometimes, and fought a few bosses, that was all just the front-end of gaming to show off good animation. Like a store, the front-end is the pretty parts that makes people say "Oo's and Ahh's". It's like watching a video game trailer that only shows cutscenes and no gamepley, that's what SAO is... and Asuna.

TL;DR:
LH = Gaming anime
SAO = Asuna anime

Pretty much this, and i barely do gaming. LH just got this "gaming" vibe.
Nov 25, 2013 2:05 PM

Mar 2012
Really enjoying this anime :)
Nov 25, 2013 4:44 PM

Nov 2009
sentience said:
thepath said:

I think you are going into Log Horizon with the wrong expectations. Everything that you said, SAO will provide, but there are still things missing from SAO that Log Horizon have provided so far (realistic gameworld, balanced support system, anarchy, cheating and exploitation, economy problems, etc).

^ pretty much this
I personally love Log Horizon a lot better than Sword Art Online.
Brains and Teamwork > Power and Solo

Can't wait for next arc, opening shows some scenes of some kind of war so i'm anticipating it. :3
Nov 25, 2013 8:08 PM

Aug 2013
The moment I've been waiting for.
Nov 25, 2013 8:12 PM

Jan 2013
Alright episode. A little slow and uninteresting.
Nov 25, 2013 9:32 PM

May 2012
Forgetfulness said:
Aw hell yeah. After this episode, Log Horizon has gotten another point for a 9/10

It's nice to see that they're actively thinking and trying to improve the situation. Although I find it somewhat strange that EVERYONE knows Shiroe. Even if he was in Debauchery Tea Party

Nov 25, 2013 10:58 PM

Jan 2013
Can someone tell me why that little girl and boy wont just fucking walk out, if they die they respawn wtf are they so worried about, they act like they will die for real.....

Seriously they can literally force their way out
Nov 25, 2013 11:51 PM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: Derailing comments and back and forth between two users cleaned out. Please keep on topic.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Nov 26, 2013 10:02 AM

Feb 2013
Another boring episode. I am starting to wonder why some people still compare this anime to SAO. There is nothing in common between them. SAO is definitely more of a dramatic anime with more interesting moments than this one, whereas Log Horizon is all about the specifics of the MMO games. I don't like the fact that they are wasting time explaining how to prepare some hamburgers and crappy things like that. When you are trapped in a MMO game, aren't you supposed to be more like shocked or I don't know. These people in the game are living as if this is a joke and I don't understand why. The atmosphere is too calm and friendly for a plot like that.
Either way I am still watching this till the end but the truth is that I expected a lot more from this series.
Nov 26, 2013 11:16 AM

Mar 2012
DarkRanger said:
Another boring episode. I am starting to wonder why some people still compare this anime to SAO. There is nothing in common between them. SAO is definitely more of a dramatic anime with more interesting moments than this one, whereas Log Horizon is all about the specifics of the MMO games. I don't like the fact that they are wasting time explaining how to prepare some hamburgers and crappy things like that. When you are trapped in a MMO game, aren't you supposed to be more like shocked or I don't know. These people in the game are living as if this is a joke and I don't understand why. The atmosphere is too calm and friendly for a plot like that.
Either way I am still watching this till the end but the truth is that I expected a lot more from this series.

The people comparing to Sword Art Online are morons. Both have completely different objectives with what they are trying to do with their plots.

SAO is pretty much a romance action anime with gamers trapped in a MMORPG. It really didn't care about building its universe, all it really cared about is showing off how badass it's protagonist was and what he was capable of.

LH on the other hand is about building its universe and it's strategies for dealing with it. It isn't really so much about how "powerful" Shiroe is as a fighter, but how intelligent he is and how he can deal with things without fighting.

The ONLY way the two anime are similar is that both have characters trapped within a gaming universe. Hell, .hack//SIGN had that and I wouldn't call that and SAO "similar".

The people who are calling this episode "boring" are nothing but simpletons that are only watching this series for aesthetic purposes, not giving the series a chance because it's focusing more on the strategy more so than the brute strength of dealing with things. Personally, I find this series fascinating. I love watching the wheels turn in Shiroe's head about how he can deal with this situation without engaging into combat.

I'm interested in seeing where this is going and what will happen next. It has an interesting approach, to say the least.
Nov 26, 2013 11:52 AM
Nov 2013
To be fair it may seem like they are spending way too much time on something minor, however the implications of it are game breaking.

Also I don't think they are living like its a joke. In fact they are being very serious and careful since unlike other anime the information they have is very limited. For an example the majority of players were unwilling to go out side until they figured out they could re-spawn after death (see WWB manga). You also have to remember that the game environment is essentially half the world, and information on the patch is very limited.

edit: Another thing to keep in mind is that the anime is being presented from a specific perspective. The majority of the characters shown in the anime are top tier players or people that already know Shiroe or "old" players. For an example at the end of EP 8 both Isaac (leader of BSK) and Crusty (leader of B.B.B.) are interested in the meeting because of Shiroe while their advisor's seem confused.
590292009Nov 26, 2013 12:17 PM
Nov 26, 2013 1:47 PM
Dec 2012
dowson417 said:
Blackbird said:
IT's all important with negotiations!
Shiroe with all respect and Minori & Toya will try to fight as well.
Probably a discussion to change the world and fight against this evil guild.

The pace of anime is normal but still I wish it could be faster. :D

no no, you don't want it to be faster tbh, this is the perfect pace for Log Horizon right now. The show is more about strategy and management than you think it is about battles.

Agreed.

Henrietta's superior negotiation skills and the thoughts of the characters during that negotiation were quite funny.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Nov 26, 2013 3:38 PM

Aug 2012
Boring? Wut? This episode was awesome!! the negotiations were really interesting to watch. From the preview, i think next ep will be great, can't wait to see Shiroe's true ability as the former strategist of DTP.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Nov 26, 2013 5:56 PM

Jul 2012
I really like how they're adapting Log Horizon. They really capture the elements that make LH enjoyable. And for people who only like action in shows like these then this series may not be for you. There will be some big battles later on but there are a lot of socio-economic, political and psychological themes explored in between these sporadic battles. Some scenes feel like a slice of life anime and some are subtly romantic. This variety keeps my interest very high.

And for the love of *** please stop comparing SAO and LH. I really enjoyed SAO and it's the one that got me into reading LNs (the anime I'm not too keen on since it really wasn't that good an adaptation). But I equally enjoy LH and it brings different things onto the table. Just enjoy the shows for what they are.

Can't wait for Shiroes plan in motion next week. It was simple but very, VERY effective.
Nov 26, 2013 8:51 PM

May 2012
ibrahim2712 said:
Can someone tell me why that little girl and boy wont just fucking walk out, if they die they respawn wtf are they so worried about, they act like they will die for real.....

The consequences of being bullied, hunted, cornered or blacklisted for PK-ing later on if they choose to walk out, plus they are suddenly whisked into the game world without knowing much except that they can respawn.

Though I think it's mostly their fear and sense of helplessness that is holding them back, until this episode when they showed their determination. Also, they were previously told by Shiroe to be patient and also to wait for his plan to work.
Nov 26, 2013 8:58 PM

Nov 2008
I really like Log Horizon but I think they can do more to improve it. I find the novel much more exciting. Comparing the anime (20min) vs the novel (4-5 chapters), I find that the anime often miss out some details that I found to be helpful.

It is good that they included the thinking during the 8th episode discussion (which haven't been done for the last 7 episodes). So I believe the anime is trying to include more factors from the book into itself..

swordstriker21 said:

And for the love of *** please stop comparing SAO and LH.

LH and SAO is just basically the same different/basically different. I agree the basic idea of "stuck in game" IS THE SAME. BUT IT IS SO DIFFERENT - One is action based and the other strategy. If you can't rid yourself of your mindset that they are the same, you will not enjoy this.
blEh SIGGY
Nov 26, 2013 10:14 PM

Jul 2012
lancerjk said:
I really like Log Horizon but I think they can do more to improve it. I find the novel much more exciting. Comparing the anime (20min) vs the novel (4-5 chapters), I find that the anime often miss out some details that I found to be helpful.

It is good that they included the thinking during the 8th episode discussion (which haven't been done for the last 7 episodes). So I believe the anime is trying to include more factors from the book into itself..

swordstriker21 said:

And for the love of *** please stop comparing SAO and LH.

LH and SAO is just basically the same different/basically different. I agree the basic idea of "stuck in game" IS THE SAME. BUT IT IS SO DIFFERENT - One is action based and the other strategy. If you can't rid yourself of your mindset that they are the same, you will not enjoy this.

Yep. They have very different elements and writing styles. Only the premise is basically the same. And yeah the novels are more detailed and explains some of the actions and expressions of the characters better. But I'm still loving how they're adapting LH into an anime.
Nov 26, 2013 10:35 PM
Nov 2013
sentience said:
ibrahim2712 said:

Though I think it's mostly their fear and sense of helplessness that is holding them back, until this episode when they showed their determination.

The Hamelin guild zone is PvP enabled meaning higher level players can simply prevent them from leaving as well as punish them (and heal). The girl (Minori) is kept hostage inside the guild area making production items.
Nov 26, 2013 11:48 PM

Oct 2009
Now I'm really curious of Shiroe Plan. Did he try to buy out Akiba..?
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Nov 27, 2013 12:52 AM

Jun 2011
Not bad, the negotiation went well, but it seems a little too easy, but I don't really mind, I mean, they had the upper hand by having the monopoly of the foods and drinks in that world.. Now, let's see how Shirou rolls.

One thing I realized clearly in this episode is that Shirou's name packed a lot of power, as in, very influential.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 27, 2013 3:17 AM

Jun 2012
Looks like I'm probably wrong about them becoming an aventuring guild.
Nov 27, 2013 5:26 AM

Jun 2011
HalibelTheEspada said:

I don't know, but I don't think so. Why travel again when they had already done that, with the Tea Party. Maybe they will, to discover the secret of that world, but not anytime soon.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 27, 2013 1:54 PM

Jun 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
HalibelTheEspada said:

I don't know, but I don't think so. Why travel again when they had already done that, with the Tea Party. Maybe they will, to discover the secret of that world, but not anytime soon.
Yeah, you're probably right... their guild name just sounded like an adventurous name. But now I think this will be more about the economy of the game, which would be just as nice.
Nov 27, 2013 3:16 PM
Jul 2013
Greaat ep!!!

Goo Log Horizon Guild!
Nov 27, 2013 4:58 PM

Jul 2012
azzuRe said:
Now I'm really curious of Shiroe Plan. Did he try to buy out Akiba..?

Close but not quite.

Nov 27, 2013 8:06 PM

Apr 2010
thepath said:

Sure dude.
Sure
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2013

270 by LucasDoragon »»
Apr 27, 7:50 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2013

268 by MFM32 »»
Mar 3, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2013

229 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 31, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

183 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 30, 9:05 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2013

265 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 30, 8:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.