Forum Settings
Forums
The Garden of Words
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 17, 2013 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
Warning: Minor Spoilers. If you simply want to see my opinion on the dub before watching, skip to the last line.

I first watched this anime subbed maybe a month ago. I liked the sound of both main characters' voices, but had no opinion on their acting skills, as I do not know Japanese. I could think of nothing wrong with the sub, but, well... I was curious of the dub.

Flash forward to now. I just re-watched the anime, dubbed this time. Now let me tell you straight up, I was not at all disappointed.

When I first heard Akizuki's voice I wasn't impressed. It sounded a little mature for his age and a bit stiff. I couldn't imagine how he would handle the emotional scene towards the end of the show. However, as the story went on, I started to like his voice more and more. The things he said and how he said them hit me a little differently than in the sub. I liked that a lot. Then of course, I got to the emotional scene at the end, and... WOW. That's all that I need to say.

As for Yukino, I had heard her voice actress, Maggie Flecknoe, in more than one other series and had no problems with the casting. The quiet but mature voice she used fit her character to a tee. I liked how the actress dealt with certain scenes, especially the one where she was on the phone and the other when she was drinking alone in the park. The emotional scene at the end really got to me, more so than in the Japanese, with how believable her crying was. Once again, WOW. This actress did not disappoint.

Other characters, such as Akizuki's schoolmates, family, and brother's girlfriend were not neglected, either. I especially liked how Hilary Haag played the mean senor girl and how Shelly Calene-Black played Akizuki's mother. The fact that David Matranga played three different minor roles was a bit weird, but nothing to complain about.

All and all, this dub was superb. 10/10, would recommend.
Dec 3, 2013 7:14 PM

Jan 2012
toralos said:
Warning: Minor Spoilers. If you simply want to see my opinion on the dub before watching, skip to the last line.

I first watched this anime subbed maybe a month ago. I liked the sound of both main characters' voices, but had no opinion on their acting skills, as I do not know Japanese. I could think of nothing wrong with the sub, but, well... I was curious of the dub.

Flash forward to now. I just re-watched the anime, dubbed this time. Now let me tell you straight up, I was not at all disappointed.

When I first heard Akizuki's voice I wasn't impressed. It sounded a little mature for his age and a bit stiff. I couldn't imagine how he would handle the emotional scene towards the end of the show. However, as the story went on, I started to like his voice more and more. The things he said and how he said them hit me a little differently than in the sub. I liked that a lot. Then of course, I got to the emotional scene at the end, and... WOW. That's all that I need to say.

As for Yukino, I had heard her voice actress, Maggie Flecknoe, in more than one other series and had no problems with the casting. The quiet but mature voice she used fit her character to a tee. I liked how the actress dealt with certain scenes, especially the one where she was on the phone and the other when she was drinking alone in the park. The emotional scene at the end really got to me, more so than in the Japanese, with how believable her crying was. Once again, WOW. This actress did not disappoint.

Other characters, such as Akizuki's schoolmates, family, and brother's girlfriend were not neglected, either. I especially liked how Hilary Haag played the mean senor girl and how Shelly Calene-Black played Akizuki's mother. The fact that David Matranga played three different minor roles was a bit weird, but nothing to complain about.

All and all, this dub was superb. 10/10, would recommend.

Gonna give the dub a shot then. Loved the sub.

Thanks. A(nother) reason to watch again.
Dec 4, 2013 3:05 AM

Sep 2012
I agree that Maggie's performance as Ms. Yukino was superb. You can feel the raw emotion in her voice in her final scene with Akizuki. She really gave that scene the push it needed to stand out.
May 26, 2014 3:32 PM

Sep 2013
I'm usually prefer subs, but I would recommend this dub to anyone. It was very impressive and unlike many dubs it maintained its emotion. The only negative i could find was that Ms. Yukinos VA was a little bit quiet so you may have to listen to it louder than you normally would, however this really just adds to the emotion and draws your attention closer in.
Jul 9, 2015 5:47 PM

Apr 2015
I cringed at the part when Yukino cried and hugged Akizuki. Not sure how to feel really. Is it because the voice acting was so good that it gave me such an intense feeling or it was so bad that I cringed? I don't know, but I lean towards the first explanation.
I'm a sucker for strong female characters.
Oct 11, 2016 10:48 PM

Apr 2016
Well for me the English dub was the only flaw in this movie.

To be fair, they did a very good job for the most part and I liked the english voices (maybe even a lot) but they overdid it at "this" important scene. It really threw me off.

In Japanese it wasn't perfect but it wasn't either that much a problem. So for those who might be as sensible as I am sometimes to voice acting I would strongly recommend to not watch it with the English dub.
Feb 27, 2018 1:59 PM

Sep 2014
was the poll supposed to say "dub" instead of "sub"? lol for some reason I was turned off by the leading male VA, the teacher sounded fine. Halfway in to the movie I just switched over to sub instead

« »
đź”® Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one, probably not

mydaddy - Mar 1

28 by Rayane-47 »»
Mar 6, 5:29 AM

» What if the genders were reversed?

mechian - Aug 17, 2014

29 by CLADDAN »»
Mar 1, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Kotonoha no Niwa Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SilentTruth - May 31, 2013

541 by Kvistis »»
Jan 26, 1:23 AM

» What did you think of this movie? ( 1 2 )

AoiroBlueColor - May 15, 2021

55 by SandraEis »»
Aug 14, 2023 2:26 PM

Poll: » What demographic is Kotonoha no Niwa?

AnimeIs4Kidz - Feb 27, 2023

15 by DreamingK »»
Mar 6, 2023 11:08 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.