Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 17, 2013 8:38 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Jealous Haru spotted~

The episode almost felt like a date lol. Ah Haru you silly. Hope your relationship improves with humans in the future. Overall decent episode. I can understand why those kids wanted to scare humans.
Stark700Nov 17, 2013 10:34 AM
Nov 17, 2013 11:02 AM

May 2013
Those monkey heralds sure love to play pranks. Lots of Haru getting mad, jealous, and crying.
Nov 17, 2013 11:26 AM

Oct 2013
A bit noisy with the monkeys...
Nov 17, 2013 11:36 AM

Nov 2010
Shohei's family and the temple/shrine surrounding are very interesting

The monkey heralds Fuu and Fuku are just like Son Go Ku from Journey to the West
Playful and pulling pranks
Nov 17, 2013 12:27 PM
Oct 2012
Nice episode, a little historical background on why there was a shrine at the temple.

Throughout most of Japanese history Buddhism was the dominate religion in Japan, but there was also a strong folk tradition through the country (Kami worship, it wasn't called Shinto at the time). Rather than suppress it, Buddhism generally appropriated the gods and they were associated with various Bodhisattva (for instance Inari was associated with Benten, Kumano had three kamis which were associated with Amida, Yakushi, and Kannon). This is known as honji suijaku (Syncretism). The distinction between shrines and temples were generally non-existent, and most shrines were affiliated with a temple.

All this changed with the start of the Meiji era (1868). As part of the governments desire to unify the country and promote nationalism, the leaders decided to standardize the folk religions into what is now know as Shinto, and suppress Buddhism as the attempted to purge foreign elements and to promote (which in many cases meant invent) Japanese elements.

Known as Shinbatsu Bunri, enforcement of this policy would have made the Taliban proud. Many priests were defrocked, temple property seized, artifacts, paintings, sutras, and even bells were destroyed (or sold off to foreigners, which is why some of the most impressive Japanese artworks are in the West), and Shrines were declared independent and predominate.

This policy only remained in effect for 7 or so years and could be considered a failure, however it did complete sever the relationship between Buddhism and Shinto which is only recently being restored.

It is important to point out that this was not religious fundamentalism, there was no group of Shinto priests calling for purity, it was rather a deliberate secular policy on the part of intellectuals and the government to create a pure Japanese religion based on the Emperor (State Shintoism). The history of this concept is an interesting and long one and was intimately tied with the desire to overthrown the Shogun.

So while the animation had a nice explanation for the presence of the temple and shrine, what really happened was that the Temple most likely built the shrine in order to claim to be Shinto during this period, and when the restrictions were lifted it reverted back to being predominantly a temple.
Nov 17, 2013 12:50 PM

Dec 2011
That didn't have the neat conclusion that the previous episodes had, but perhaps it is better that way. Some problems aren't always things that need solving. Sometimes just coming to accept the situation is a better way of dealing with it.

Takuan - thanks for that information.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 17, 2013 1:45 PM

Oct 2013
That was a chaotic and light-hearted episode after the more somber serious tone of the last three. Fuu and Fuku were pretty funny. Haru's jealousy and fits of crying and rage in this episode were hilarious, especially when she comments on Makoto that 'human women can't control themselves." Haru had the least control out of all of them!
Nov 17, 2013 1:46 PM

Apr 2012
Those monkeys were quite loud and add Haru into the mix meant I had to turn the volume down... Twice! lol.

Thank you Takuan for the backgroung history. I always find this sort of thing interesting.
Nov 17, 2013 1:47 PM

Jan 2011
Nice to see a little more information on Yumi and Shouhei to flesh out their characters a bit. Actually Shouhei looks a lot more reasonable as a boyfriend after this episode, particularly as he is the one looking after Yumi's cat. In the end though, this episode really was an interesting look at the relationship between Shinto and Buddhism, and how they co-exist.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Nov 17, 2013 2:02 PM

Jun 2012
Nice episode, although I had to turn the volume down b/c of the three high-pitched voices.

I realized that I like how this series is done, maybe the content. It's like there's no real conflict, maybe it's just an approach I don't see too often.

Nov 17, 2013 2:39 PM

Oct 2011
The three kids are fun to watch but they're too loud xD Anyhow, I enjoyed this ep~
Nov 17, 2013 2:42 PM

Jul 2012
Those monkey heralds were awesome pranksters. I enjoyed this episode.

Great episode!!!
Nov 17, 2013 4:45 PM

Oct 2011
Fun, soothing episode. They are the bridge between humans and heralds. Awww
Nov 17, 2013 4:47 PM

Aug 2008
Satoru's blushed! I ship Satoru X Makoto!!

This episode was really fun to watch! :D
Nov 17, 2013 5:21 PM

Jul 2010
Good episode overall. Next one will be Funabashi centred, can't wait.

Kurini said:
I ship Satoru X Makoto!!

I can't help but agree to your shipping.
Nov 17, 2013 6:01 PM

May 2011
This was a nice and fun episode. The monkeys sure made things lively.
Nov 17, 2013 6:02 PM
Oct 2012
Akanezora said:
Kurini said:
I ship Satoru X Makoto!!

Too boring. Now that Ore Imou has crossed the incest taboo as a mainstream animation, I am rooting for Gin X Makoto, because they really do make the cutest couple in the show and we must be progressive and knock down all those artificial societal barriers.

Seriously though, the real barrier to that ending should be that both Makoto and Satoru are set to inherit their individual shrines, and as such marriage would be pretty much out of the realm of possibility in Japan. These sort of things are taken very, very seriously in Japan, where responsibility has a far greater emphasis than individual freedom.

But the end has already been shown. Will spoil even though I am only guessing (haven't read the manga yet), but I am pretty damn certain on this one and hate to wreck things for others, if you want to talk about it, please spoil:

Nov 17, 2013 6:03 PM

Aug 2013
Fun episode! Loved seeing Makoto and Satoru together. :P
Also, the older monkey looked badass.
Nov 17, 2013 6:58 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
This episode hurt my ears at certain times lol. I love Haru, but three high pitched voices was a little too much. Haru is so cuuute though, seriously. I love it when she's traveling on Gintaro, or when she's clinging onto Satoru ^^ Satoru is also a fun character to watch.

I remember learning about religions in Japan in my Japanese art history class so it was nice to see it here, Buddhism and Shinto, especially how the head priest respects the heralds despite them being from a different religion.
Nov 17, 2013 7:39 PM
Aug 2011
An okay episode.
Nov 17, 2013 8:08 PM

Jan 2013
The only episode I didn't really like so far. Mostly because I couldn't stand the two monkey's voices.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Nov 17, 2013 9:26 PM

Nov 2007
Kurini said:

Yeah. I noticed there was quite a few moments in the anime.
But what topped the lot was this: Click!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 17, 2013 9:35 PM

Aug 2013
Haru sitting on Gin's head looked so adorable. As always, her jealous outburst is funny. It really looked cute too when the two monkeys and Haru were running around Gin XD

Mako x Sato! I laughed at Yumi's reaction :P

@Takuan: Oh...so that explains it. Thanks for that background info. At the beginning of the episode, I was wondering why there was a shrine and a Buddhist temple on the same grounds.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 18, 2013 1:04 AM

Jun 2010
That monkeys were actually quite annoying. :|
Thanks Takuan for a little background. :)
Nov 18, 2013 1:09 AM

Sep 2012
Good for the anime to show a bit about the co-existence of Shintoism and Buddhism in Japan (indeed in Japan it is not too hard to find examples of Shinto shrine and temples in the same compound. As said in the anime, Japan is very flexible in terms of religion. Though as Takuan_Soho said there was a period when Shintoism reigned supreme and was used to server the purpose of nationalism and government.

And I now know why monkey is a symbol for victory.....
symbvNov 18, 2013 1:12 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 18, 2013 1:29 AM

Jan 2013
Loved the energy this episode had.
Very fun, and nice romantic teasing. If this was a 2 course anime I'd expect some romantic development. Sadly I don't think that will or necessarily should happen.
Nov 18, 2013 2:49 AM

Jan 2013
I bursted out laughing at this scene:
http://puu.sh/5lYDd.jpg
Nov 18, 2013 4:07 AM

Jul 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
Akanezora said:
Kurini said:
I ship Satoru X Makoto!!

Too boring. Now that Ore Imou has crossed the incest taboo as a mainstream animation, I am rooting for Gin X Makoto, because they really do make the cutest couple in the show and we must be progressive and knock down all those artificial societal barriers.

Seriously though, the real barrier to that ending should be that both Makoto and Satoru are set to inherit their individual shrines, and as such marriage would be pretty much out of the realm of possibility in Japan. These sort of things are taken very, very seriously in Japan, where responsibility has a far greater emphasis than individual freedom.

But the end has already been shown. Will spoil even though I am only guessing (haven't read the manga yet), but I am pretty damn certain on this one and hate to wreck things for others, if you want to talk about it, please spoil:

Now I'm even more eager for a second season.
Nov 18, 2013 8:15 AM

Apr 2013
Funny episode. Three kids fighting and chasing each other. But I'll have to agree with Gin that it was a ''pain in the ass'' (-_-)
Nov 18, 2013 8:37 AM

Jul 2012
I was having doubts about this show before, but now I'm not. Really good atmosphere and setting. Enjoyed this episode fully. Cute Monkeys and cute OTPs <3
Nov 18, 2013 10:27 AM

Sep 2009
That was a fun episode. It made me laugh so much that I don't feel sleepy anymore, and that's going to be my problem because I have to sleep already because it's already 2:30am and I'm going to have a class this 9am. :D

Oh well, I just love this episode so much.. Satoru and Makoto looks cute together esp. when they both blushed at the same time. hahaha ^______________^

plus, Gintaro just got mad. XD
and lol, Haru.. at the past episodes, I really hate her but in this episode, she's too cute at being mad. poor her though because of those monkeys.
Nov 18, 2013 11:49 AM

Aug 2008
shanimebib said:
Kurini said:

Haha, I love this picture! XD
Nov 18, 2013 12:51 PM

Jul 2012
Kurini said:
shanimebib said:
Kurini said:

YES ♥
Nov 18, 2013 6:47 PM

Aug 2013
Gelyan said:
Also, the older monkey looked badass.
That was the manliest monkey I've ever seen!
Nov 18, 2013 8:50 PM
Oct 2013
I never like Haru. Even in this episode when everyone says she's cute.
Nov 19, 2013 5:18 AM

Feb 2011
Haru is ruining this show ;_;
Nov 19, 2013 5:53 PM
Jul 2013
Monkeys kawaii. The only thing I did not like the episode, was that cat fat and ugly.
Nov 20, 2013 5:51 AM

Dec 2008
Mischievous monkey heralds? Well, it was good to see somebody or something giving Haru a difficult time.

Sent with Mal Updater
Nov 20, 2013 9:58 AM

Oct 2009
I actually liked Satoru X Makato :)

Those monkeys were irritatingly loud, had turn down volume too XD
Nov 21, 2013 9:30 AM

Aug 2012
Badass grandpa monkey. Those mini monkeys were cute, though annoying at first. I just learned a bit about Shrines and Temples from this episode and this thread. Gotta love Gingitsune <3

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Nov 24, 2013 1:04 AM

Nov 2010
tingy said:
This episode hurt my ears at certain times lol.

Hahaha, this. so much noise in this episode.
Nov 25, 2013 9:10 AM

Jan 2008
I haven't seen more badass monkey before.
Somewhat boring episode, maybe because I cringe at Satoru x Makoto and there was plenty of it. Yumi is golden as always, altough I really don't get why the hell she considers Shouhei her boyfriend. Maybe my outlook on couples is way too pinkish and sugary, but they remind me of children in kindergarten that keep fighting over toys which is almost as romantic as dead fish.
Dec 12, 2013 7:20 AM

Sep 2012
ANNOYING MONKEYS!
Feb 8, 2014 1:54 PM

May 2012
Pretty okay episode, those monkeys were rather annoying but well it was okay in the end!
Mar 28, 2014 4:37 AM
May 2012
Temples looks amazing too. I want to go there too T^T
Shohei's family is a fun one. Them sisters :3
Herald monkeys, herald or not, monkeys always likes to mess around ahahaha.
That old monkey looks badass though!!!
Yup, my ear kinda hurts too because of those high-pitched voices.
I like the Makoto and Satoru pairing <3 I am a sucker for romance.
Funabashi next episode :3 I would love to see her with bangs.
Apr 11, 2014 3:49 AM

Jun 2011
I like that monkey heralds pair, lol'd @ Haru. Glad to know more about Shouhei, and not just leaving him in the dark.

mayukachan said:
Kurini said:
shanimebib said:
Kurini said:

YES ♥

Allow me to join in. +1 nice edited picture there.
ToG25thBaamApr 11, 2014 3:56 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 29, 2014 7:30 AM

Mar 2014
Their pranks are exasperating a little but .. they do have a good reason for it .
Pretty good Episode !!! Smile for "Victory" !!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2015 7:32 AM

Nov 2011
Episode nice, new heralds were hilarious.
Storytelling fun, not a whining as previous episodes.
Plot that moves forward slightly, but it's interesting anyway.
Drawings and animations good.
OST catchy.
May 9, 2015 2:57 AM

Jan 2012
I couldn't help but think of that one Inuyasha episode while watching this one. Those little monkeys were obnoxious but kinda cute. I don't think it was intended, but the ending seemed kinda sad to me, with no one at the temple able to see or really believe in them.
Jun 20, 2015 11:19 AM

Jul 2009
Oh man, a little too much high-pitched squealing in this episode for me >_< The two monkeys WERE pretty cute though :P Playing pranks because they wanted people to laugh and nobody could see them ... kinda touching tbh :') Pretty cool that Shouhei's family is also related to this kinda stuff and they have a monkey shrine in their temple. Also everyone thinking that Satoru and Makoto were on a date ... ohoho, what could they be hinting at?! ;P
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gingitsune Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2013

91 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:07 AM

Poll: » Gingitsune Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2013

41 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 14, 2023 3:30 PM

Poll: » Gingitsune Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2013

51 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 14, 2023 2:45 PM

Poll: » Gingitsune Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2013

58 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 14, 2023 1:46 PM

Poll: » Gingitsune Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2013

58 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 14, 2023 12:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.