Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 12, 2013 3:28 PM

Dec 2012
I feel disconnected with the show, on paper this anime should be my favorite of the season but some things just feel off one of them being Tada Banri. I don't dislike him but I really don't like him for a lot of reasons (his name, his voice actor, his polite personality, he feels lame and stiff especially during comedical scenes, his dialogue about anything and about his memory loss in particular and in the latest episode his Yes and No thing...)

He was very melodramatic in the latest episode and it's like he has a split personality or something. One minute he was just being his usual himself and then he snapped on both of Linda and Koka out of nowhere. The Linda outburst might not have been out of nowhere though but still the way he reacted in that scene was really melodramatic and it felt forced for me tbh. That flashback in the beginning was just plain odd, at first I thought that was after his accident so he cried because of it but it was just his old self reacting melodramatically to a simple situation. I just find him unlikable and he is kinda ruining the romance in this anime for me.

Is he the same way as the anime in the LN/ Manga? or did J.C staff portrayed him differently?

This is not a hate topic btw.
tsudecimoNov 12, 2013 3:34 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 12, 2013 6:46 PM

May 2009
TADA BANRI
Nov 12, 2013 8:56 PM

Jul 2012
I like how there isn't a "he's making me like the anime" choice.

Anyways, I don't see the problem with Banri. At first I thought he was a basic beta MC, but then he spontaneously confessed instead of waiting till forever like every other MC and then he rejected the friendzone. I say he's alright.

I personally think his actions were justified. He bottled up all of his feelings until they reached the tipping point, anyone who'd do that would end up exploding.

If anything Kouko would be ruining the show for me, but it's not bad enough to really complain though.
Nov 12, 2013 9:00 PM
Feb 2013
not really i think he's perfectly normal i mean he got amnesia
Nov 12, 2013 9:01 PM

Oct 2011
I like his name. Therefore, I like him.
Nov 12, 2013 9:33 PM

Dec 2012
Mortemis said:
I like how there isn't a "he's making me like the anime" choice.

The first choice.

Mortemis said:
I personally think his actions were justified. He bottled up all of his feelings until they reached the tipping point, anyone who'd do that would end up exploding.

Why they weren't signs or at least subtle hints to foreshadow his outburst? especially regarding the Koko situation. It was the last thing on my mind that he would snap about the friendzone, everything pointed it out to him speaking his mind to Linda not Koko.

I just think the pace is all over the place and there are too many events happening close to each other, on paper that should have been enjoyable to me since I don't particularly like slow pace or the MC being indecisive for the majority of the show but there is not enough build up for these events to let me care about them that much. What did you think of the flashback in the beginning of the latest episode?

Forgetfulness said:

To me, Kouko is making/breaking the show for me. When she's normal and with Banri, then this anime is one of the most fun to watch out of the few titles I'm watching this season. But when she's around Mitsuo and gets all bitchy, then my enjoyment quickly drops.

I think that makes her more interesting tbh. Her comedical moments with Banri feel off to me, I think they are both lame when they try to be funny or a part of comedy scene.

I think Koko is unique and the same goes for Banri, since they aren't generic and most of their actions go against the normal rom/com but I don't know if I will like them being a couple, maybe I will though because their dynamic might change and the whole friendship thing was annoying, so I doubt it will be worse in the future. I saw characters change or feel different when they become a couple, so I hope the same happens here.
Nov 12, 2013 10:01 PM
Oct 2013
I honestly think it's not tada banri ruins the anime, but the anime ruins itself. I like golden time manga, banri and yana-san are really great and adorable. But in the anime, banri lost his charm. He becomes... plain, maybe.

I also think banri and yana-san voices are not suited for the characters. Maybe if you read the manga, you might have different opinion.
Nov 12, 2013 11:04 PM

Jul 2012
tsudecimo said:

The first choice.

Eh, it's more a half empty choice than a half full one if you get me.

tsudecimo said:
Why they weren't signs or at least subtle hints to foreshadow his outburst? especially regarding the Koko situation. It was the last thing on my mind that he would snap about the friendzone, everything pointed it out to him speaking his mind to Linda not Koko.

I just think the pace is all over the place and there are too many events happening close to each other, on paper that should have been enjoyable to me since I don't particularly like slow pace or the MC being indecisive for the majority of the show but there is not enough build up for these events to let me care about them that much. What did you think of the flashback in the beginning of the latest episode?

I agree with most of your points, I feel like the two main points in the latest episode (Linda drama and friendzone) could/should have been stretched to two episodes. It didn't really effect my thoughts about Banri, it may have been a bit spontaneous but I could see from the last episode all of this friendzone shit was bothering him. It was only a matter of time till he cracked.

tsudecimo said:
I think that makes her more interesting tbh. Her comedical moments with Banri feel off to me, I think they are both lame when they try to be funny or a part of comedy scene.

I think Koko is unique and the same goes for Banri, since they aren't generic and most of their actions go against the normal rom/com but I don't know if I will like them being a couple, maybe I will though because their dynamic might change and the whole friendship thing was annoying, so I doubt it will be worse in the future. I saw characters change or feel different when they become a couple, so I hope the same happens here.

Yep, I feel the same for KokoXBanri. I really don't like it right now, but if the writers can give me some good development in their relationship and develop both characters in a good way, I'll be satisfied when this ends.

I got my hopes up. *crossing fingers*
Nov 12, 2013 11:06 PM

Aug 2012
I'm not caught up on the series, but so far (from episode 3) he seems... bland.
Nov 13, 2013 2:42 AM

Jul 2011
I like him. In these first 6 episodes I'm already linking him more than Toradora's MC. I find him much more determined and directed. I think it was a long time since I have saw decent MC in a romance show.

And here some quotes about my point of view of his situation:
I think it's not fair to judged Tada's behavior as a normal person without analyzing the whole situation. The form in which a person is interacting with other people depends from multiple factors. It was rather reductive.

^ We're talking about someone who has completely lost his memory and doesn't remember anybody anymore and he wakes up every day with the fear that his memories can come back and that his present self can actually disappear anytime.
Nov 13, 2013 1:59 PM

Apr 2013
I agree with you. His sudden decision change really surprised and confused me. And in his flashback he seemed like a loser...
Nov 13, 2013 3:49 PM

Nov 2008
Cupquake said:
I agree with you. His sudden decision change really surprised and confused me. And in his flashback he seemed like a loser...
That kind of personality is quite common. So exploding Tada Banri as Linda described his pasts could be justified with his sudden outburst. Plus he has amnesia. He could be living a facade his entire amnesiac life until his personality came back to him or something.

I do quite agree his past life seems like he is a loser. That's why he can't do anything without Linda. Banri is like Kaga Koko in a way except Linda is always there for him while Kaga is ignored by Yana.

I think it is just too rushed (haven't read the LN but I saw a lot of LN readers complaining about being rushed). The novel probably foreshadowed it or portrayed it better. But episode 6 was surprising and disappointing with Tada Banri's action came out of nowhere... :/
DenjaXNov 13, 2013 3:54 PM

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Nov 13, 2013 6:09 PM

Feb 2012
Genius Thread. Keep it Up!
Nov 13, 2013 6:54 PM
Dec 2012
I actually like Banri a lot, but in the recent episode my impression kinda changed.

For one, he has a huge mood swing and suddenly decides to stop being friends with Kouko. I mean sure it sucks to be constantly called "shin'yu" all the time, but he his reaction was a lot worse than I expected.

His constant Yes No-ing also kind of put me off. I think it was some sort of conscious director's choice because it was the name of the episode and such, but it felt a bit overdone D:. Like when he said "The answer is YES!!!" it totally sounded positive for some reason.

Still love the show though, and I'm looking forward to improvement in the future :D
Nov 14, 2013 12:27 AM
Oct 2013
I believe his entire personality makes him more believable as a character, thus giving this anime a more realistic/dramatic feel to it. He suffers from an identity crisis and is in the dilemma of trying to be accepted for who he is or becoming who they want/expect him to be. He usually sticks to the status quo because he fears rejection and isolation. As the series continues, I believe he will gain more confidence in himself.

I found the scene where he snapped at Koko as him succumbing to his depression. You have to realize he just saw the person he loves still fawning over her childhood crush. From having Linda not telling him the truth of their previous relationship to his current situation, I was expecting him to cry during that scene. His depression turned into anger when he realized that she still wanted to be friends with him, knowing full well his feelings for her.
Nov 14, 2013 2:35 PM
Jul 2018
I like tada waaaaay more than the usual Superhero boyscout romcom leads.

I mean when is the last time you saw a male lead in a Romcom fight his way out of the friendzone in the course of 2-3 episodes.

He should be a hero to us all for that.

The fact that he has the penchant to be selfish, unsure, jerky, etc makes him much more interesting than the usual spineless wuss or the guy who alwyas does the right thing all the time.

This anime isnt hamlet, but im in love with it. Soooo many feeeeels!!!!
Nov 14, 2013 2:56 PM

Jun 2012
I like him a lot. I like that he obviously has mental issues, but he's also a pretty normal person (wanting to go to Paris so he could have sex with Koko). I think he goes well with all the characters, too.
Shoot first, think never.
Nov 14, 2013 3:00 PM

Oct 2011
I don't dislike him. I mean, sure, some of his actions can be seen as selfish [e.g. snapping at Kouko/Linda], but one should take his mentality into account before labelling him as a horrible person. At the beginning of the series, he's someone without any memories of the past, so it's easy for him to say he wants to live in the present. But, after he became aware of the fact that Linda knows about his past, it's not difficult to see why he cannot be so carefree like he was before. He's essentially torn between choosing to live in the present [represented by his affection for Kouko] and deciding to reminisce about the past [represented by his lingering feeling for Linda]. There's a clear difference between a character who's inherently bad, and a character who makes understandable mistakes. For me, Banri belongs to the latter group.
DashiawiaNov 14, 2013 3:03 PM

Nov 14, 2013 3:33 PM

Oct 2013
Cupquake said:

That is more of a metaphor/ foreshadowing for the later amnesia of Banri and an nice explanation of his relationship with Linda. Similar to the Taiga's broken star on the Christmas tree in Toradora.
The Banri of the past is explained in the episode 7 where
lijenstinaNov 15, 2013 9:24 AM
Cemeteries are full of past winners.

Hypocrisy is about being your own marketing department.
Nov 14, 2013 4:11 PM

Dec 2009
I wish we would have some monologues. It would do a lot for his character.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Nov 14, 2013 5:25 PM

Aug 2008
I don't have any problem with him. It's more like the anime execution problem.
Nov 14, 2013 5:29 PM

Jul 2012
I'm neutral about him. I wish he would be more of a bishounen tho (like Strike the Blood's MC) because I keep on thinking he's a shota sometimes since he's he same height as his love interests.
Nov 14, 2013 6:12 PM

Oct 2013
If someone is interested in the foreshadowing of Banri snapping at Linda and Kouko read chapter 16 of the manga.

That is how it should be done in the anime.
Cemeteries are full of past winners.

Hypocrisy is about being your own marketing department.
Nov 14, 2013 6:32 PM
Oct 2013
The anime skipped a lot of ground Golden Time! I'm a bit bugged by it since both the LN and the manga are better developed. For example, Banri's blow up at Linda was done in the LN while: A. Drunk B. Linda pretty much saying the wrong things while he was drunk. Here's the excerpt from LN volume 2 chapter 4 which is translated by baka-tsuki:

Banri, setting his beer mug on the table, acting as much as possible as if he were hearing a joke,
"...Linda-senpai, did you think Kaga-san and I were going out?"
He tried to say it. He intended to.
Setting this and that aside, for the time being, he didn't want to deal with the big misunderstanding looming before him right now. That's how he felt.
"Was I thinking that!? Eh, wasn't it so? But didn't you guys have a really good relationship? Though I thought, since from the beginning you came as a couple to the club?"
He forced a smile. Shaking his head firmly from side to side,
"You were wrong."
He said it clearly. So as to not be misunderstood, simply, distinctly. "Are you kidding!?", Linda said, her eyes growing wide. She looked at Kouko from a little apart, and once more returned her gaze to Banri.
"Is that how it is!? Eh, then... what's that? To put it simply, you were 'more than friends, less than lovers'? Huh. Now I see... well, is that so? That's how it is. Still getting to know each other, month by month. ...Ah ah ah, from now on, after this... ou ou ou, that's how it is. Sorry, I've gotten ahead of myself."
And then, both hands covering her mouth, her shoulders shaking, she was laughing merrily from the bottom of her heart.
"What's with you already?", he said, "'It's good, it's good from now on!?' What's that about? You really seem to be having a fun time here, aren't you?"
Realizing that he could not simply look calmly upon that merry face, and wondering why, Banri knocked down all the beer that remained in his mug. Lined up with him, shoulder to shoulder, Linda threw back her head too, lifting the mug that was in her hand. Like old men, they let out huge sighs. And then,
"This is really hot! Well then, as your senpai, I'll be quietly watching over your promising future! Well, love stories are fu-n. Tell me, tell me more!"
"Tell you... what do you mean?"
"Lo-ve st-o-ri-es! All girls are crazy about love stories, and I, for one, am a girl! Lo-ok look look, Tada Banri, will you tell me e-verything, first thing?"
Look! Look! No! No! While listening to that merry voice with one ear, Banri poured sake with ice from the pitcher into his mug. It didn't matter whether it was sour or soda, either was fine. At any rate, he wanted to shove anything into his body but Linda's voice. And cram it into his brain too. Almost against his will, he forced it down his throat.
"...Especially for senpai, please let me know. How's that sound to you?

As you can see, the anime merely glances over the issues and is very underdeveloped compared to the light novel. Now don't get me started on Kouko confessing.
Nov 14, 2013 7:34 PM

Feb 2012
I feel the anime is not doing a good job executing who Tada Banri truly is. He feels bipolar only because the anime itself is so self-constrained.
I read the manga version of Tada Banri and ho boy is he much more different than anime Banri.

Of course, that's not to say that I don't enjoy the anime. But I...really dislike anime Banri.
Nov 14, 2013 7:36 PM

Jun 2011
I voted for: I don't like him but he is not ruining the anime..
Nov 14, 2013 7:54 PM

Jul 2012
Marow said:
I wish we would have some monologues. It would do a lot for his character.

^
Nov 14, 2013 7:57 PM
Jan 2011
Yea I like how he manned up with the whole friendzone thing. But his whining and crying about pointless things make him seem like a weak little girl.
Nov 14, 2013 8:31 PM

Jul 2009
I love Tada Banri!
Nov 14, 2013 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
Although i am enjoying this anime greatly and he is a pretty good lead for a romcom. I do find his design to be highly unremarkable and boring.
Nov 15, 2013 6:45 AM

Nov 2013
He's bland, but definitely a step up from Ryuuji in Toradora. At least Banri isn't unbelievable dense/stupid. Now that's what you call a typical male lead in a romcom.
Nov 15, 2013 7:06 AM

Jun 2011
Yes, we should hate him, how dare anyone be polite and have amnesia.
Nov 15, 2013 3:23 PM

Aug 2012
Well, he's not a Kitahara.

I read the manga of Golden Time as well. Banri was definitely executed worse in the anime (hell, the whole anime feels worse than the manga), but he still is a bit of a bitch.
Beaver897Nov 15, 2013 3:26 PM
Nov 15, 2013 3:27 PM

Feb 2010
I like him, but I don't love him. But things being as they are it makes sense that he is like he is and there's still room and time for development.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 15, 2013 6:53 PM
Nov 2011
Honestly. I had a real disconnect between episodes 4-6. I caught the bad emphasis by Koko, but I felt like I'd missed an episode, but you know, I think figuring out him and Linda are something, he's going through some mental and emotional anguish, And for a moment I thought he was projecting old feelings for linda on Koko. I'm not sure though. The guy was an amnesiac, and all this stuff is new, it may seem overwhelming. I'm not sure what's going on yet, but I'm hoping things become clear.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Nov 16, 2013 1:31 AM

Dec 2012
Sageater said:

His constant Yes No-ing also kind of put me off.

Same here, it made me cringe.

NeedmyWaifu said:

I found the scene where he snapped at Koko as him succumbing to his depression. You have to realize he just saw the person he loves still fawning over her childhood crush.

I think love is a strong word and doesn't fit what he feels for Koko at least not yet, his outburst doesn't really make any sense, maybe the one towards Linda but not Koko. Actually it would have made more sense if the order of the outbursts changed.

redaka0 said:
The anime skipped a lot of ground Golden Time! I'm a bit bugged by it since both the LN and the manga are better developed [....].

SkywardLink said:
I feel the anime is not doing a good job executing who Tada Banri truly is. He feels bipolar[....]

That was my guess, because he feels off and the execution of his character seems poor. In paper he should be a pretty great and somewhat original male lead.
Nov 16, 2013 10:01 AM

Sep 2010
I think hes a great lead. Besides from having an awesome name I think hes more interesting than his love interests which is really rare in rom coms where the girls are very unique and the guy is bland.

if I had to choose the most annoying character it would be kouko but thats only of I had to choose since I dont find her that annoying. Its more of the idea that since shes the lead of the show she deserves to be with tada which im sure will be the case even though linda is more deserving and is more compatible with tada
Nov 16, 2013 9:35 PM

Dec 2012
SophiafrmAustria said:
I think hes a great lead. Besides from having an awesome name I think hes more interesting than his love interests which is really rare in rom coms where the girls are very unique and the guy is bland.

I personally think his name is stupid. Outside of his amnesia story he feels bland all the time, one of the reasons is his boring character design, Mitsuo's is better.
Nov 21, 2013 6:54 AM

Aug 2007
I don't like the character, but personally I consider that he isn't ruining the anime.
Nov 21, 2013 7:08 PM

Jul 2011
BeyondDestiny said:
Generic, substance-less, boring MC is all I can say. The overall premise of the show's alright until we get the same reactions, responses and or motives that the average 'good-joe' anime protagonist has in store for us ...

Generic? I can't say if you're serious...
Nov 21, 2013 8:14 PM

Jul 2010
I like him. How can I even dislike him? I feel simpathy towards him because he kinda reminds me my old self.
Nov 21, 2013 9:42 PM
Nov 2013
Ghost Banri is ruining the anime.
Nov 21, 2013 9:47 PM
Nov 2013
If you compare the anime to the manga, the character of Banri does feel out of sync. However by keeping his character more serious in the anime, it offers a better back story to the importance if his lost memories and his internal conflicts within himself has more depth.
Nov 21, 2013 10:09 PM

Nov 2007
If he is ruining the anime for you, then you better drop it. He will be there about in every episode to ruin it for you. Haha :D
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 21, 2013 10:42 PM

Oct 2012
2nd choice~ Banri's alright, but I don't particularly like him, or hate him. Neutral --------

Nov 22, 2013 12:01 AM
Jun 2013
Banri isn't too bad, at least in comparison with the typical anime MC. He is, however, pretty bland. He doesn't have any characteristics that really makes him stand out. The only thing that he really has going is his amnesia and how he deals with it.
Nov 22, 2013 12:45 AM

May 2010
No way!!!! I think he's pretty normal. You should know that he has amnesia and it's a hard condition to deal with. I really feel bad for him and that he's lucky to have Koko now as his GF.

Nov 22, 2013 12:55 AM

Oct 2012
lol what kind of question is that?
I can understand what you might mean for some other characters but tada is a really well built character. It almost pisses me off just to see this question being posted.
Nov 23, 2013 12:09 PM

Jun 2012
BeyondDestiny said:
Generic, substance-less, boring MC is all I can say. The overall premise of the show's alright until we get the same reactions, responses and or motives that the average 'good-joe' anime protagonist has in store for us ...

I think you're being sarcastic.

The main character is one of my favorite things about this show. I love that he has his own mental issues.
Shoot first, think never.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

891 by Nikmomo93 »»
May 6, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

290 by Profitgang »»
May 5, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2014

268 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 30, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2013

223 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 24, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2013

430 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 20, 12:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.