Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 11, 2013 4:39 AM

Nov 2009
As a lot of people tend to confuse about the last scene of this week's episode, when Setsuna bit her lip and fake a smile. Many of us think that the song was written to display Haruki love for Touma, but IT'S NOT.

Todokanai Koi = unattainable/unreachable love. Which was introduced as an original song of the light music club. The translation from Crunchy/HS was "unrealized love" which caused some sort of misinterpretation among viewers.

Here's the english translation which I can find:
http://atashi.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/white-album-2-introductory-chapter-opening-theme-todokanai-koi/
Or you can check the translation of the OP provided by UTW.

At the moment we can clearly see that, Haruki hasn't fallen for any of the girls, yet (only the two girls started to fall for him). If you read the translation, it gives me the feelings that the song fits perfectly with Setsuna's current situation and describes her feelings for Haruki quite well. The reason for biting her lip is that, the song shows her true feelings, but it was written by Haruki himself and composed by her love rival, so yeah ... I'd be pissed.
Takana_no_HanaNov 11, 2013 6:42 AM
Nov 11, 2013 7:43 AM

Sep 2011
Seems someone got it right. I don't know why some people think that way and when I was playing the VN, I never thought of that(That Haruki wrote the song for Kazusa or something along the lines).

And yes, Haruki hasn't fallen for any of the girls, yet.

Nov 11, 2013 3:56 PM
Apr 2011
Tennouji_ said:
Seems someone got it right. I don't know why some people think that way and when I was playing the VN, I never thought of that(That Haruki wrote the song for Kazusa or something along the lines).

And yes, Haruki hasn't fallen for any of the girls, yet.

Have you played IC the second time?
Nov 11, 2013 4:24 PM

Sep 2011
firezero10 said:

Well, no. Not yet.

Nov 11, 2013 11:01 PM

Jun 2008
Tennouji_ said:
firezero10 said:

Well, no. Not yet.

You need to play IC for a second time, there are some perspective changes to the story.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Nov 12, 2013 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
The song is apparently written to Takeya.

Jokes aside, it doesn't matter who Haruki wrote the song to since, apparently, he's a very lame, two dimensional character whose feelings (if rational) are under direct control of the writer/producer team.

But looking at the end of episode 6 again, it is clear that the distancing view of Setsuna, and the biting lip part is intentionally used to convey envy. The producers do want the audience to think that it is written to Touma, perhaps to make Haruki's actions later seem more rational, perhaps to hint the future. Thus this is no misinterpretation, authorial intent is very clear. The anime is not the visual novel, If they do plan to end with Touma TE, there is plenty reason to bend the balance from the start. What any of us argue is the correct interpretation is quite pointless compared to how the producers want the majority viewers to interpret this as.
removed-userNov 12, 2013 5:50 AM
Nov 12, 2013 4:56 AM

Sep 2011
edwd2 said:
The producers do want the audience to think that it is written to Touma

I really doubt that's it. Because it's more like what OP said

Takana_no_Hana said:
but it was written by Haruki himself and composed by her love rival

So the audiences just need to be more perspective on that part.

Nov 12, 2013 5:17 AM
Jul 2018
Tennouji_ said:
edwd2 said:

Well, from what I see from forums here and elsewhere, that's how most people, myself included, will interpret this. Of course, you may pull out additional info from the VN, from the lyrics and elsewhere to argue against that, and sounds convincing too but had the producers really wanted the audience to believe it was written for Setsuna, don't you think showing her smiling, rather than biting, at the end would be the case?
Nov 12, 2013 5:52 AM

Feb 2012
So prow. Give this lad/lady a round of applause. So fucking genius that a retarded person like me can't even emphasize and understand what's really going on.

SO PRO. SO PRO INDEED. Salute to this thread maker for giving us all the justice we want to know about this show.

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I'm enlightened.
Nov 12, 2013 6:04 AM

Nov 2009
edwd2 said:
Tennouji_ said:
edwd2 said:

Well, from what I see from forums here and elsewhere, that's how most people, myself included, will interpret this. Of course, you may pull out additional info from the VN, from the lyrics and elsewhere to argue against that, and sounds convincing too but had the producers really wanted the audience to believe it was written for Setsuna, don't you think showing her smiling, rather than biting, at the end would be the case?

The problem mostly like on Horrible Sub/CR which was released first. In that sub they translated the song title as "unrealized love" instead of unreachable/unattainable love -> which made the meaning seems unclear.

And then again, please read the song's translation on the link which I provided.

edwd2 said:

But looking at the end of episode 6 again, it is clear that the distancing view of Setsuna, and the biting lip part is intentionally used to convey envy. The producers do want the audience to think that it is written to Touma, perhaps to make Haruki's actions later seem more rational, perhaps to hint the future. Thus this is no misinterpretation, authorial intent is very clear. The anime is not the visual novel, If they do plan to end with Touma TE, there is plenty reason to bend the balance from the start. What any of us argue is the correct interpretation is quite pointless compared to how the producers want the majority viewers to interpret this as.

Here's the thing, the song was written by Haruki before he met and realized who Touma was( Haruki's friend gave Touma a notebook and said it was his dream -> so the notebook should contain Haruki's song). So there's little chance that its lyrics was dedicated to Touma. Base on the lyrics(read the translation in the link I provided), it portraits Setsuna's feelings like crystal clear, it shows us the pain of an unreachable love, which can be seen through the lyrics:

Furthermore, as we can see, Haruki has not fallen to any of the female characters, at least by now. Not sure how most of the audiences interpreted that way, but as I can see, he was just interested in Touma(cause of her outstanding piano performance), but hasn't liked her yet.
The scene Setsuna bit her lip, you can say she was jealous, but at the same time, she was feeling a bit "angry" as well, because it was written by the person she likes, which shows her true feelings but this person hasn't realized anything(or pretended not to), yet.

pizza_012 said:
So prow. Give this lad/lady a round of applause. So fucking genius that a retarded person like me can't even emphasize and understand what's really going on.

SO PRO. SO PRO INDEED. Salute to this thread maker for giving us all the justice we want to know about this show.

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I'm enlightened.

Get a hold of yourself dude, I just want to share my point of view about my favorite show this season. What do u mean exactly by "PRO"? I watch anime for entertainment, as well try to understand the feelings they convey, NOT to show off like playing video games. As romance has been my favorite genre since I started to watch anime years ago. If you skim through 4chan, animesuki or any other anime forum, you gonna see that lots of people have different way of interpreting the final scene.
Takana_no_HanaNov 12, 2013 6:19 AM
Nov 12, 2013 6:16 AM

Aug 2012
O, I see.

That's a relief.

...As a Setsuna supporter.

Although...I heard the anime staff is on Touma's side though...So im assuming the Touma end will be animated?
Nov 12, 2013 8:12 AM
Jul 2018
@Takana_no_Hana

I certainly see what you're arguing for and have nothing to say against your interpretation of the lyrics. But, like I said earlier, I am more concerned with the anime itself and what the producers have to say, since, as we all know, they will determine the course of events and ending. So, I repeat we must consider the anime and this episode alone through the eyes of a great majority, capable of understanding common behavior, with no further knowledge of the visual novel nor further dedication to research the lyrics or plot content from other possibly related media of the White Album 2 franchise that the anime will possibly follow.

The visual novel has different endings and every character acts differently in each one. The anime will (if adapted) have one ending, and one specific way characters will act and develop towards that ending. I am aware that IC does not even have choices and routes but if the producers do plan to adapt content all the way to Coda in the future, things will be changed large or small, reasonable or not from the very beginning. The so-called common route (IC in this case) in visual novels make the protagonist's feelings ambiguous and balanced until you are given choices to determine his behavior (CC). This is not the case with the anime, I see the producers changing character behavior and even minor plot details in a way that will make later developments foreseeable and understandable. The last scene from episode 6, I consider a major foreshadowing of the things to come. There are very good reasons to believe the producers shown it this way for a particular purpose, for a particular interpretation by the general audience. I'd say you may at best argue that its intention is unclear, at this point, but certainly not favorable to Setsuna's side. If not, it is simply aimed to be interpreted the way most will interpret.

I have to sleep now.
Nov 12, 2013 1:56 PM

Nov 2009
Definitely it's not in Setsuta's favor, but in lots of other forum you can see people interpret it the wrong way and bad mouth about her, which made me kinda sad ...

I haven't read the visual novel, but as romance has been my fav genre since I started to watch anime, I can see who's gonna take the main char's heart.
Nov 13, 2013 9:16 AM
Mar 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:

As a lot of people tend to confuse about the last scene of this week's episode, when Setsuna bit her lip and fake a smile. Many of us think that the song was written to display Haruki love for Touma, but IT'S NOT.

Wait, you haven't played the VN and you are trying to claim this as a fact. Boy are you in for a surprise.
Nov 13, 2013 8:44 PM

Oct 2013
this is myanimelist . No gamespot.

this is AnimeDiscussion . No gamediscussion.

this is white album 2 IC story in anime . No IC story in VN.
Nov 14, 2013 3:14 PM
Nov 2010
Takana_no_Hana said:

Here's the thing, the song was written by Haruki before he met and realized who Touma was( Haruki's friend gave Touma a notebook and said it was his dream -> so the notebook should contain Haruki's song). So there's little chance that its lyrics was dedicated to Touma. Base on the lyrics(read the translation in the link I provided), it portraits Setsuna's feelings like crystal clear, it shows us the pain of an unreachable love, which can be seen through the lyrics:

And here is where you went wrong fanboy (or girl?), Haruki said he joined the k-on club in order to write a song. Moreover, Haruki was already interacting with Touma since the school year started, and it was Touma who taught Haruki to play the guitar to begin with.
In episode 3, Haruki told Setsuna Touma is very cool, and indifferent to everything. Afterwards, Setsuna already realized Haruki's bias about Touma.
Here is the order of events I can make out from the anime alone:
School started -> Haruki interacted with Touma -> Haruki joined the k-on club in order to write a song and Touma taught Haruki how to play guitar -> a few months -> episode 1
P.S. I read goddamn spoilers, but all my opinions above are inspired from the anime alone.
jindo90Nov 14, 2013 3:24 PM
Nov 14, 2013 10:02 PM

Nov 2009
Judging from the anime alone, I could see they did not give any information about whether or not Haruki met with Touma before he dreams of writing a song. And even then, Haruki seems not really close to Touma cause the two hadn't interacted much. Mind you, Haruki was in the K-on club before, meaning that he has already known how to play guitar.

Touma just helps him improve his skills. As far as I can see, Haruki becomes curious about Touma after he realized the person who often playes with his guitar is her. Meaning that, he could see Touma as a regular class mate before the events happened.

Btw, my avatar is illustrated by Tony, and u know what the guy does.

jindo90 said:

Haruki said he joined the k-on club in order to write a song.

Or u can say that, he wants to write a song, and to achieve that he joined the k-on club.

Moreover, Haruki was already interacting with Touma since the school year started, and it was Touma who taught Haruki to play the guitar to begin with.

Hmm, base on the anime, all I could see are a few social conversations like how r u today or so on. Hell, Touma didn't even face-to-face talking with Haruki before the events happened (but according to a friend of mine, who has played the vn, Touma pays attention to Haruki before he even realizes it).
Takana_no_HanaNov 14, 2013 10:10 PM
Nov 15, 2013 6:16 AM
Sep 2013
well, i want to say something about the timeline, which is a bit confusing. i havent play the vn btw.

1. they're playing the live concert in the end of november (25 november if i recalls it correctly)
2. it means haruki's meeting with ogiso is around october 24/25 (check ep 1, written '30 days to school fair')
3. When was Haruki's join the club? April this year (my assumption, as Haruki's monolog said "It was April when Takeya first dragged me to this room")
4. Japanese school start its semester in april , so that's the time when touma were transfered from the music curriculum to the same class as haruki (3-e)
5. With this timeline, now i saw the connection about how Haruki knows Touma well. Haruki and Touma is in both chairmate and Teacher-Student (when it comes to guitar lesson) relationship. and also When Touma said "You're nowhere near as annoying as Kitahara" implicitly means that she knows about Haruki alot,too.
6. Haruki's book. Its written 2007 10gatsu (10gatsu=october). I dont think Haruki could fall in love with Ogiso in just 5 days

Well, with this i still assume that those lyrics is about Haruki's feeling to Touma, more precisely his unattained feeling to Touma.

Feel free to discuss if you have better prove
Nov 15, 2013 5:14 PM
Nov 2013
They are in their third year, Touma join the "the normal class" in her last year. The song never was for Touma.
Nov 15, 2013 11:43 PM

Mar 2012
My interpretation is that Setsuna took the lyrics to mean that Kitahara was confessing to Kazusa via this song. That's why she was upset and bit her lips then forced a smile. However, what Setsuna took the lyrics to mean doesn't mean that's actually what Kitahara meant. In fact, we can already tell that Setsuna has always been very sensitive about being left out and this might be a case of her overreacting.

From what we can see, Kitahara has more reason to like Kazusa, given that he's known her for much longer and obviously shows concern for her. But the intimacy he's shown with Setsuna thus far also means it's unlikely that he's already in love with Kazusa, else we'd have to think that he's a player, which he isn't. I think the reasonable interpretation is that Kitahara never intended to send a message through this song. It was simply picked up by Setsuna as such.
Nov 17, 2013 7:30 AM
May 2013
it seems okay to discuss VN spoilers here so I'll just leave this here

http://i.imgur.com/CVmQg3U.png

You will probably see this in episode 8
You have to remember that even before the piano room meeting they have already interacted. Certain things have already begun.

And there unlocked scenes in IC that alludes who Todokanai Koi lyrics are for

http://i.imgur.com/tOEaRUE.jpg
K_boardNov 17, 2013 7:43 AM
Jun 14, 2016 2:42 AM

May 2012
''Furthermore, as we can see, Haruki has not fallen to any of the female characters, at least by now.''

Reading back this ghost thread was really cringe. OP went full retard or in denial.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told

More topics from this board

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

202 by Giolbat »»
Mar 12, 7:03 PM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2013

221 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 9, 10:50 AM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

200 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 9, 7:40 AM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Dec 7, 2013

158 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 8, 3:59 PM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Dec 28, 2013

856 by GingZ »»
Mar 1, 3:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.