Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 6, 2013 2:25 PM

Oct 2008
ok the dancing and all the shower scenes had me laughing but god damn
they're already halfway through the show why are they wasting episodes now?? please go back to the plot instead of pushing everything into the last few episodes while you still have the time to somehow recover the pace!
also akihito (and partly the bro) is really crossing the line between funny and creepy, sometimes i just wish he'd shut up
mitsuki was great in this ep though hehe
Nov 6, 2013 2:25 PM

Dec 2007
Hanada doesn't have to apologize it was a crack episode and I liked it! XD
Nov 6, 2013 2:27 PM

Oct 2008
Kaioshin_Sama said:
https://twitter.com/oitan125/status/398120057781243904

Originally Posted by Jukki Hanada
Sorry about this.... Just this once I requested to write a silly episode to insert into the series. Next week we'll return to the original tone/material from the novels.

Well at least the writer even feels the episode turned out pretty bad. The irony of course is there's plenty of people that seem to feel it's fantastic when even he's apologizing for it. Classy guy admittedly.

wow that's a relief, thank god!
Nov 6, 2013 2:34 PM
May 2013
I feel like this show just officially jumped the shark with this episode. Ironically, it's the first episode that I actually enjoyed myself. Hmm... can't say I'm glad that it'll return to the plot at this point, considering there is no way I can take this show seriously after this. Honestly don't know how it'll ever try to pass itself off as "dark fantasy" again.
Nov 6, 2013 2:35 PM

Feb 2011
This episode was win xD Dat shower scene.
Nov 6, 2013 2:38 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
WikiSonic said:
I feel like this show just officially jumped the shark with this episode. Ironically, it's the first episode that I actually enjoyed myself. Hmm... can't say I'm glad that it'll return to the plot at this point, considering there is no way I can take this show seriously after this.
My thoughts exactly, I actually enjoyed this episode, whereas the other episodes I was kind of just like, cool visuals. But despite my enjoyment, I definitely don't think that placing a random silly episode in the anime was a good idea just because the story telling hasn't been very strong so far. Interesting how the writer requested to do a silly episode and was granted the freedom to do so, and then apologized for it. Shouldn't have done it buddy, or at least it would've served better as a OVA/special.
Nov 6, 2013 2:41 PM

Oct 2007
Iro-sama said:
they're already halfway through the show why are they wasting episodes now?? please go back to the plot instead of pushing everything into the last few episodes while you still have the time to somehow recover the pace!
also akihito (and partly the bro) is really crossing the line between funny and creepy, sometimes i just wish he'd shut up

I honestly feel like the last several Kyoani shows have done exactly what you describe regardless of writer and staff. A whole lot of random otaku related humor that goes all but nowhere for 3 quarters of the show albeit with nice animation and then a sort of climax with the last quarter of episodes. It's kind of their calling card at this point and it's pretty obvious it's a result of production level decisions and philosophy therein and not the teams themselves. I know people think I just pick on Kyoani all the time (and I admittedly do), but I don't see how the writing for their recent shows is excusable at this rate and hence there's a reason for it.

Yeah their shows look nice, but wtf are they doing when it comes to overall exposition and keeping people not already inclined interested? I mean for starters if they want to do comedy then just do comedy, but make it funny and stop just reusing the same tired gag bits, stop trying to flip flop all over the place such that the show loses any coherency and the characters become so one dimensional. I mean at this rate 6 episodes in here's what I gather from the cast:

Akihito: Glasses are my fetish! I'm a Half Youmu Raaaawr!
Mirai: It's Unpleasant! I'm hopelessly adorable but can sort of fight depending on the scene and/or episode!
Mitsuki: I'm kind of aloof but also kind of hopelessly adorable depending on the scene!
Hiroomi: I want to **** my sister and say perverted things?!
Sakura: I have something against Mirai but rather than say it I'm going to have it drag out for probably the entire series. Also I appear and disappear from the plot a lot
Ai: I'm an original character and I'm here for the loli bait but don't really contribute in any meaningful manner other than that.
Izumi/Shizuku: We're the milf bait. Our role is crossing and uncrossing our legs and seemingly scheming about something, but we're going to drag whatever it is out for probably the entire series.

The shows biggest failing remains it's cast just really being underdeveloped and not very compelling and this episode does nothing to alleviate that issue and at this rate neither will the next one.
Nov 6, 2013 2:42 PM

Mar 2008
what the fuck did I just watch?!
synopsis for this anime "The dark fantasy [...]". honestly, this show is making a joke of itself.
Nov 6, 2013 2:43 PM

Jul 2012
I actually enjoy this episode, but that's only for this episode alone and not for the whole series. However enjoyable this episode is, I cannot see it contributing to the overall series which is a huge problem considering how the whole series is all over the place.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Nov 6, 2013 2:43 PM

Jul 2010
So many lols.Seriously, i had a bad day, but this episode made it much better :D Hiromi is just too hilarious.
Nov 6, 2013 2:53 PM

Oct 2007
What I don't get is that this episode had a lot of the same sense of humor and gags as much of the rest of the show only in larger and IMO more obnoxious doses (since I didn't really find Mirai's "Fuyukai Desu" one liner and Akihito and Hiroomi's perverted banter funny the first few times they engaged in it) and with dancing instead of a random 1 minute "dark fantasy" fight tacked on yet people seem to be acting like this is the first time the show has had this sort of "comedic" styling. Did I miss something hear or am I just thinking about this more clearly and recognizing patterns with this show more than most?
Nov 6, 2013 2:56 PM

Jun 2013
Oh My God! This episode was pure WIN! It was adorable at the end when they were idols! :) I love this show when it's all serious, but im loving the couple of episodes where its all nice and lighthearted! :)
Nov 6, 2013 2:57 PM

Jun 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
What I don't get is that this episode had a lot of the same sense of humor and gags as much of the rest of the show only in larger and IMO more obnoxious doses (since I didn't really find Mirai's "Fuyukai Desu" one liner and Akihito and Hiroomi's perverted banter funny the first few times they engaged in it) and with dancing instead of a random 1 minute "dark fantasy" fight tacked on yet people seem to be acting like this is the first time the show has had this sort of "comedic" styling. Did I miss something hear or am I just thinking about this more clearly and recognizing patterns with this show more than most?

Actually the thing with this episode was the whole thing was lighthearted and meant to be just cute and funny, You are apparently taking it way too seriously
Nov 6, 2013 3:09 PM

Sep 2012
heiqi1hu said:
P.U.R.E C.R.A.C.K

Yakiimo ate too much...
Hiromi super cool onii-chan move before vomiting...
The whole gang getting motivated in the shower...
The school idols...
Hiromi super agile body...

I thought who's going to defeat the youmu if everyone's dancing...indeed...LOL
you said it.

awesome episode! I actually really enjoyed them becoming idols, the montage and all.

what school has co-ed showers??
Nov 6, 2013 3:10 PM

Oct 2007
SakurasouBusters said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Actually the thing with this episode was the whole thing was lighthearted and meant to be just cute and funny, You are apparently taking it way too seriously

No I'm really not I don't think, it's just not very funny, not very cute and somehow despite using the same tired gags the shows been rolling with since the beginning albeit with a token dance sequence thrown in it still manages to feel completely out of place because even the youmu is now part of the bad humor. Not sure how this show goes back to trying to make the youmu seem menacing (though IMO they never felt as such really but are even less so now) but I doubt it matters at this rate.

I don't think my standard for humor is that high and I'm all kinds of ready to just let a show be dumb fun, KnK just really doesn't seem to try all that hard at actually being funny funny. It's very basic phoned in been there done that can see it in any old show fanservice humor really. Hanada can be and has been better at the funny, cute and amusing thing with Love Live early this year where it wasn't just the same tired styling of humor and one liners over and over again and he was able to get sort of creative within the context of that show while still finding time to develop the cast and move things along from week to week so I know he can do better too. I think this is less a problem with him and more what Kyoani's producer is willing to let him do with the script for KnK. Honestly the reusing tired gags that weren't funny the first time thing is pretty much a Kyoani standby at this rate.
Nov 6, 2013 3:16 PM
May 2013
SakurasouBusters said:

There's nothing wrong with trying to take a "dark fantasy" show seriously. Now, if it was like this from the beginning there would no room to complain, but excusing this show's randomness just because it was trying to be lighthearted doesn't make sense. What am I supposed to do when the plot actually starts (if it ever does) and I need to take it seriously? How am I supposed to feel sorry for the characters when all this show has managed to do is make a joke out of them? How come I should only take certain episodes seriously yet be expected to take it as a joke whenever the plot decides to change its direction again?

You're right on one thing, obviously I shouldn't take this show seriously. It clearly wants to be something else... (Whatever that is.)
WikiSonicNov 6, 2013 3:27 PM
Nov 6, 2013 3:30 PM

Jun 2013
I COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING!!!!
LOVE AI SO MUCH
Nov 6, 2013 3:30 PM

Apr 2013
It is clearly a filler-ish episode, but ironically it was probably best episode yet
It was hilarious... I didn't expect the idol thing at all lol
Nov 6, 2013 3:32 PM

Jul 2010
What the bloody hell did I just watch?

Kaioshin_Sama said:
This episode felt like a cynical pander to pull on things that are popular right now to boost Blu-Ray says so they thought hey lets have them be idols, that there other show this Hanada guy wrote about idols did great so why not do that. Watch it totally work too. As for this shows integrity, not that it ever had much to begin with but it ought to have lost what remained of it at this point. It's like Kyoani just finally gave up all pretense for the whole world to see.

^ Pretty much this.
Nov 6, 2013 3:34 PM

Jul 2013
This would be fucking awesome as a special/OVA. But honestly it was hilarious, much funnier than most of the comedy in this show. The overdramatic moments like "Why must we be so stinky?!" cracked me up lol. But it was kinda random, waste of an episode but funny as hell.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Nov 6, 2013 3:37 PM

Aug 2009
OH MY GOD XDDDD I CANT BELIEVE THEY DIDNT DEFEAT IT AHAHAHAH XDDDD

This episode was hilarious! <3 I love this cast <3333
Nov 6, 2013 3:38 PM

Apr 2012
So I have a thing for Hiroomi Nase and when he was in the shower with that pose..... UUFFFF <3
Nov 6, 2013 3:46 PM

Jun 2013
WikiSonic said:
SakurasouBusters said:

There's nothing wrong with trying to take a "dark fantasy" show seriously. Now, if it was like this from the beginning there would no room to complain, but excusing this show's randomness just because it was trying to be lighthearted doesn't make sense. What am I supposed to do when the plot actually starts (if it ever does) and I need to take it seriously? How am I supposed to feel sorry for the characters when all this show has managed to do is make a joke out of them? How come I should only take certain episodes seriously yet be expected to take it as a joke whenever the plot decides to change its direction again?

You're right on one thing, obviously I shouldn't take this show seriously. It clearly wants to be something else... (Whatever that is.)

Honestly in seeriousness i think this anime is slightly similar to Kaze no Stigma, they have a very dramatic arc but then the next episode or two they make it more lighthearted to keep it from being too melodramatic! Just my two cents, you are defenitally open to your own opinion, even if they are different from mine :)
Nov 6, 2013 3:50 PM

Mar 2012
This episode didn't pretend to have any story progression, but who cares, it was funny with the false drama and I had a good time watching it. This would've been much better as an OVA/Blu-ray special of sorts, but whatever.

In any case, with Sakura's return, looks like this series is getting back to a more serious track. I wonder if Akihito will ever be able to use his powers in battle...
Nov 6, 2013 3:57 PM
May 2013
SakurasouBusters said:
Honestly in seeriousness i think this anime is slightly similar to Kaze no Stigma, they have a very dramatic arc but then the next episode or two they make it more lighthearted to keep it from being too melodramatic! Just my two cents, you are defenitally open to your own opinion, even if they are different from mine :)

Just as a disclaimer: I'm not attacking you for your opinion, I just disagree strongly with that point you made. And I agree that a lighthearted episode can keep a show from getting overly serious but I just haven't really liked this show from the start and this episode just proves why. This show just rubs me the wrong way in multiple facets and I can't help but think that it should've been a lot better. I'm disappointed, to say the least.
WikiSonicNov 6, 2013 4:03 PM
Nov 6, 2013 3:58 PM

Mar 2013
WikiSonic said:
I feel like this show just officially jumped the shark with this episode. Ironically, it's the first episode that I actually enjoyed myself. Hmm... can't say I'm glad that it'll return to the plot at this point, considering there is no way I can take this show seriously after this. Honestly don't know how it'll ever try to pass itself off as "dark fantasy" again.

What is the plot? as far as i can tell there isn't one.
Nov 6, 2013 4:00 PM
May 2013
facade63 said:
WikiSonic said:

What is the plot? as far as i can tell there isn't one.

Well, it'll return to pretending like it has a plot, at least. ;)
Nov 6, 2013 4:04 PM

Sep 2007
This was one of the best 'random' episodes of any anime I've watched in recent times ...

Nov 6, 2013 4:12 PM

Sep 2012
LOL This episode was very good! There wasn't a plot, and it was really random, but I liked it!
O importante não é o que fazemos de nós, mas o que nós fazemos daquilo que fazem de nós
Nov 6, 2013 4:13 PM

Jun 2013
Lol I don't think I've laughed so much XD Although the premise has been commonly used in several anime (characters failing multiple times at something), I really was expecting them to succeed in the end. Didn't think they'd forget to decide who'd attack XD hahaha

Screw the plot, right? haha. Or maybe this was just one of those "break" episodes that's mainly focused on humor.
Nov 6, 2013 4:27 PM

Jun 2013
WikiSonic said:
SakurasouBusters said:

Just as a disclaimer: I'm not attacking you for your opinion, I just disagree strongly with that point you made. And I agree that a lighthearted episode can keep a show from getting overly serious but I just haven't really liked this show from the start and this episode just proves why. This show just rubs me the wrong way in multiple facets and I can't help but think that it should've been a lot better. I'm disappointed, to say the least.

Im aware you weren't attacking me for my opinion, as im not attacking you for yours, i am loving this show, as indicated by the 9 rating i have for it so far, but everone is open to their own opinion right? :)
Nov 6, 2013 4:33 PM

Oct 2012
Oh god, out of everything to expect I did not expect anything remotely close to this...
I laughed so hard I don't think I'll be able to breathe right for the rest of the week
"Now if you'll excuse me I must get back to my Madoka anime. Pink lesbian saved time lesbian and now they're about to fight Walmart"
Nov 6, 2013 4:49 PM

Mar 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Iro-sama said:

I agree with this 100%
I honestly feel like the last several Kyoani shows have done exactly what you describe regardless of writer and staff. A whole lot of random otaku related humor that goes all but nowhere for 3 quarters of the show albeit with nice animation and then a sort of climax with the last quarter of episodes. It's kind of their calling card at this point and it's pretty obvious it's a result of production level decisions and philosophy therein and not the teams themselves. I know people think I just pick on Kyoani all the time (and I admittedly do), but I don't see how the writing for their recent shows is excusable at this rate and hence there's a reason for it.

Yeah their shows look nice, but wtf are they doing when it comes to overall exposition and keeping people not already inclined interested? I mean for starters if they want to do comedy then just do comedy, but make it funny and stop just reusing the same tired gag bits, stop trying to flip flop all over the place such that the show loses any coherency and the characters become so one dimensional. I mean at this rate 6 episodes in here's what I gather from the cast:

Akihito: Glasses are my fetish! I'm a Half Youmu Raaaawr!
Mirai: It's Unpleasant! I'm hopelessly adorable but can sort of fight depending on the scene and/or episode!
Mitsuki: I'm kind of aloof but also kind of hopelessly adorable depending on the scene!
Hiroomi: I want to **** my sister and say perverted things?!
Sakura: I have something against Mirai but rather than say it I'm going to have it drag out for probably the entire series. Also I appear and disappear from the plot a lot
Ai: I'm an original character and I'm here for the loli bait but don't really contribute in any meaningful manner other than that.
Izumi/Shizuku: We're the milf bait. Our role is crossing and uncrossing our legs and seemingly scheming about something, but we're going to drag whatever it is out for probably the entire series.

The shows biggest failing remains it's cast just really being underdeveloped and not very compelling and this episode does nothing to alleviate that issue and at this rate neither will the next one.
Nov 6, 2013 4:50 PM

Mar 2013
omfg.. Hiroomi in the shower *nosebleed*
Hiroomi's dancing moves so sexy *^*
They should have let Hiromi, since his seiyuu is a vocalist~

And Ai-chan the ultimate weapon. Subarashii~
Nov 6, 2013 4:51 PM

Feb 2012
This ep was awesome. Lol'd pretty hard for half the ep.

One thing's for sure. KyoAni need to make their own idol anime now ;D

I only wish the show was like this from the start, with it slowly moving to a similar tone in the beginning of the season. The show would have picked up more steam that way.
Nov 6, 2013 4:58 PM

Jul 2011
Probably the worst episode in contribution to the story's plot (define), yet ironically I really enjoyed it.
Nov 6, 2013 5:03 PM

Apr 2011
Hahaha! Hilarious episode.

It was funny when they were all dancing and giving dramatic flashbacks, and using their ultimate weapon. They were so focus in training for a week and they forgot who's going to attack.

This episode may be a filler but at least many people liked it. Now the series will back in to serious mode next episode.

If KyoAni decides to make a Idol Anime, it could give Idolmaster a run for its money. lol
Nov 6, 2013 5:06 PM
Jul 2013
This episode might actually boost up the sales xD.
Nov 6, 2013 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
I thought episode 05 was pretty damn stupid but 06 just goes beyond the boundaries. I don't think KnK is for me. I'm so done with this.
Nov 6, 2013 5:14 PM

Sep 2013
Her Youmu was doing such a funky little dance.

Was not expecting that :P

Epic Fail
Nov 6, 2013 5:20 PM

May 2013
Funny episode but it would have been great as an OVA instead. I feel like they're wasting episodes with these last two.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Nov 6, 2013 5:28 PM

Jul 2013
THIS WEEK'S EPISODE IS JUST HILARIOUS! I can't stop laughing so hard specially in that IDOL scene!! lol. This is the best filler episode I've watched so far KyoAni is the best!

I cannot stop smiling every time I remember that Idol scene. They are good singer and dancers perfect for fanservice for boys and girls (to much moe). and yet they failed to defeat that fruit type youmu after that 1 week of practice (goodbye 500,000 yen hello stinky) lol, that was really funny.

another week of waiting, I think next weeks episode is serious after all that funny episodes. looking forward to it.
"Anything is possible if you stop doubting yourself, so put some more faith unto you!"
Nov 6, 2013 5:32 PM

Oct 2013
The heck did I just watch D:

It was silly and fun, but I hope they don't do it again, I don't want it to become an idol anime... Yet (?)
Nov 6, 2013 5:33 PM

Mar 2013
omfg, this episode was the best episode so far by a long way. I'd prefer if the rest of the show was funnier like this, but whatever.
Nov 6, 2013 5:38 PM

Jan 2011
This episode was DUMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBB to the point where it was getting oddly close to being self aware still didn't change the fact that i had a few good laughs,and dem dancing motions..

someone already stated it but it really did feel like they were trying to cram a ton of anime tropes into one episode
Nov 6, 2013 5:38 PM

Jan 2009
they forgot who will attack it lol
Nov 6, 2013 5:46 PM

Jul 2012
The dancing and singing was spectacular in every way. I just wish they thought about who would kill the blasted thing after performing.

Great episode!!!
Nov 6, 2013 5:47 PM

Nov 2009
was expecting a lot of things to come from this series, and this episode was not one of them.. XD;
Nov 6, 2013 6:11 PM

Jun 2011
I started this episode thinking it would be a colossal waste of time, and another step backwards for an already disappointing series.

I can't believe how wrong I was.

The show's barely a quarter done, and I already know this is THE BEST it is going to get. I mean, holy shit. Everything was done perfectly. PERFECTLY. We didn't get any drama, or action, but we got a frigging busload of suspense and humor, tightly and neatly wrapped up into a concentrated 24 minute dosage of pure laughter and hilarity. Episode of the series? More like EPISODE OF THE DECADE.

Does anyone even know what this show's supposed to be about anymore? I certainly DON'T. Something about magical monkeys? Fuck that shit, this is the direction this show should go from now on. HEADLINE OF THE DAMN CENTURY: KYOANI MAKES BEST DECISION EVER, KNK NOW POINTLESS SLICE OF LIFE. I can see the Broadway shows now. Directors pouring over their scripts, day in and day out, trying to find a way to lengthen this masterfully written work into a full fledged musical, failing miserably every time, cursing the fact that they were not born ISHIDATE TAICHI RULER OF THE UNIVERSE.

Speaking of this glorious man, how far up the Forbes millionaire list is he? Probably shot up fifty-places with the airing of this episode alone. Think about it, THINK about how much merch they can sell from THIS EPISODE ALONE. Hell, I'd buy a Kuriyama idol figure. I'd buy a Mitsuki figure. So, if I'd buy that shit, SO WOULD THE REST OF JAPAN. This guy's probably rolling in his dough Scrooge McDuck style as we speak, hiring people to count his money and watch his own anime with him every Wednesday, humbugging all the way to the FUCKING BANK, because when you're that rich, man, who even needs Jesus?

Come to think of it, why is the magnum opus that is this episode even lumped in with all the other magical monkey garbage anyway? If you ask me, this episode should be made into it's own anime series here on MAL, with the prestigious position of #0 on the Top Anime list, because not even Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood can match the intensity this episode just brought to the table. Hear that, Kineta? Make that shit happen.

All in all, I think I have just seen the Second Coming of Christ. And I'm an atheist. Seriously, this is THAT GOOD. I implore all who dropped this show for other, less worthy titles such as KILL LA KILL and MONOGATARI SERIES: SECOND SEASON to return and lay their eyes on the masterpiece that is Kyoukai no Kanata episode six.

Rejoice, filthy casuals, for anime is saved.
Reaper71Nov 6, 2013 6:16 PM
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Nov 6, 2013 6:37 PM

Nov 2007
Great episode and a 5/5 unless you get it.

While the episode was quite hilarious and full of fun moments, particularly the idol dance, with such a pointless event, the flashback shots of their attempt to perfect the dance over a whole week during the actual performance just showed how they have formed an even stronger bond than they had before and became much closer. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.