Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 6, 2013 6:44 PM
Oct 2012
Reaper71 said:
Rejoice, filthy casuals, for anime is saved.

What a funny reverse parody of KyoAni haters.....

Anyway, this episode was interesting from an educational point of view. It shows how an episode can, when viewed in isolation, be very enjoyable, while at the same time be disastrous in terms of it being part of a series. Someone above wrote that this should have been an OVA, they are absolutely correct: from a story telling perspective this episode shouldn't have been here.

Last week I wrote: "Its these things that take away from this show; they also are trying to jam too many genres into this series (supernatural, fighting, slice of life, tragic, pathos, humor (both dry and gag), school life, fetish and probably a half dozen other ones), this show could stand a bit tightening on this part."

This episode was this on steroids. It completely destroyed any ambiance this series had. The Excitement and mystery from episode 4? Gone. The character development from episode 5? Gone. This show has lost its raison d'etre. Mirai is completely integrated, any attempt to bring back her traumatic upbringing will feel strange, likewise any seriousness when they finally get around to the main gist of the story; this is a comedy now, a supernatural K-On, they have locked themselves in there and any attempt to do something different will be as pointless as trying to do a dramatic K-On series.

This episode can't even be counted as "filler", filler is suppose to bridge between two points, as such these episodes maintain the mood of what happened before and what will happen next: that is the whole point of being filler - it this mood is maintained, then, no matter how horrific the filler was, it was successful. This episode wasn't "filler" because it was so totally at odds with the mood of the story. You can do that after a series is over, but it is death to do during a series. If the writer actually requested that they do this here, he really should have his head examined. Again, as an OVA this would have been a great episode, but far from gaining interest, I predict that the orders will decrease (though given the low predictions it already has maybe not).

Now this doesn't mean that the series can't be saved, fantastic episodes from here on out can redeem the show, but this is feeling like it is heading towards Tamako level sales, not the 8-10K or plus sales this show, if done right, could have garnered.
Nov 6, 2013 6:49 PM

Dec 2012
Absolutely hilarious filler episode. And yes, this was the episode I enjoyed the most out of the 6 so far...

Mistuki <333333
Nov 6, 2013 6:53 PM
Oct 2013
LOL!!
XD
i don't know how this episode affects the story development, but it's a surprise and very refreshing episode!!
kyoani sure know how to make a best quality anime!!!
Nov 6, 2013 6:59 PM

Oct 2007
Takuan_Soho said:

Now this doesn't mean that the series can't be saved, fantastic episodes from here on out can redeem the show, but this is feeling like it is heading towards Tamako level sales, not the 8-10K or plus sales this show, if done right, could have garnered.

Knowing the Kyoani fanbase it wouldn't take much for sure. Honestly I'm still anticipating this episode as a huge turnaround for the show. This is EXACTLY the sort of thing I could see Japan just going nuts for and immediately registering their preorders.
Nov 6, 2013 7:04 PM

Aug 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

Anyway, this episode was interesting from an educational point of view. It shows how an episode can, when viewed in isolation, be very enjoyable, while at the same time be disastrous in terms of it being part of a series. Someone above wrote that this should have been an OVA, they are absolutely correct: from a story telling perspective this episode shouldn't have been here.

This. If this was an OVA, it would have been fine. It's only a 13-episode show and we're already at episode 6 so I wasn't expecting something so, for lack of better word, pointless at this point. What was its purpose? I get that adapting a more light-hearted approach after a serious(ish) episode is common but this one is just...it's so out of place. Sure I had a few good laughs specifically the dancing youmu in the beginning and the dog. I guess my enthusiasm was curbed simply because all the while I was watching the show I was thinking "WTH this is so out of place." The plot is already shallow (or probably just poorly written and executed?), I really don't think this episode was necessary.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 6, 2013 7:11 PM
Oct 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Knowing the Kyoani fanbase it wouldn't take much for sure. Honestly I'm still anticipating this episode as a huge turnaround for the show. This is EXACTLY the sort of thing I could see Japan just going nuts for and immediately registering their preorders.

You know, you were making so many salient points earlier, but you had to go ruin it by letting your obsession get the better of you. That Tamako Market bombed should have shown you that your "KyoAni fantatic" doesn't exist. KyoAni does do a bit better for equivalent type shows, but that is because KyoAni has good name recognition. In this they are similar to Disney: they can release crap for a decade or two, but still sell far more than better shows merely because they are Disney. Parents will buy KyoAni because they know what they are getting: fairly tame entertainment.

While I don't think that KnK will bomb as much as Tamako, this is because it does have some very good animation and in the end, anime is a visual medium and people will buy it solely for that reason. I am seeing this show doing 2-3K, maybe a bit higher if they maintain the consistency of the first four episodes from here on out, but they would need a serious bump in story to get anything outside of that.

You man be right about a jump in preorders after this episode, but that will most probably be trolling, not actual orders.
Nov 6, 2013 7:20 PM
Oct 2012
xchee said:
I get that adapting a more light-hearted approach after a serious(ish) episode is common but this one is just...it's so out of place.

I wanted to highlight this to stress this point. Actually the last episode was not the "serious" episode, that was episode 4, episode 5 was fairly light-hearted (with some somber overtones, but not that much). So even worse, not only would this episode be out of place even as a light hearted episode after the "serious" episode, it wasn't even that. Had this been episode 5 it would have been disruptive, but a strong episode 6 would have made up for it, but in his actually followed a relatively calm episode 5 really compounded the problem.
Nov 6, 2013 7:29 PM
Jun 2009
So, they failed to beat the monster. Does this means that Mitsuki will stink for the rest of 13 episodes?
Nov 6, 2013 7:36 PM

Jul 2013
I must apologize for last week's comment...

THIS is the weirdest filler ever!
KyoAni is really going all the way down with this series.
Nov 6, 2013 7:37 PM

Apr 2012
I said it before and I'll say it again: once KyoAni stops pretending their characters have interesting backstories the show becomes much more enjoyable.

Their performance at the end already outdid whatever White Album 2 is going to do in terms of visuals.

And we got more Mitsuki cuteness~ so this episode was almost perfect (because, you know, there was no progress in the plot whatsoever)

That purple eye will become my new avatar...
AloxamaxNov 6, 2013 7:50 PM
"Rejoice! We are humans— we are the most talented people! Precisely because we were born without any ability— we can achieve anything— this is the will of the weakest race!" – Sora, ‘No game No life Vol.01’
Nov 6, 2013 7:51 PM

Jul 2010
This episode was so funny.
The sparkle and then vomit form Hiroomi was funny.
That monster exploding every time ,the visits to the shower ,( good times)

Idol ,Mirai when she first sang was great horrible but after a week wow she improved.
Nov 6, 2013 8:01 PM

Apr 2012
that...... was really really entertaining oh my goodness
i seriously was NOT expecting that in the end and i was muttering to myself "what is going on...." but it was still really fun.
it was especially great seeing the boys dancing ehhehe
but that ending...............failure
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2013 8:22 PM

Jul 2012
Oh god........
The way they danced!
So freaking kawaii!!!!!!!! x3

Anyways.......it's too bad that they didn't even kill the damn Youmu....but whatever. xD

Great episode, as usual. :3
Nov 6, 2013 8:29 PM

Oct 2007
Aloxamax said:
I said it before and I'll say it again: once KyoAni stops pretending their characters have interesting backstories the show becomes much more enjoyable.

Their performance at the end already outdid whatever White Album 2 is going to do in terms of visuals.

And we got more Mitsuki cuteness~ so this episode was almost perfect (because, you know, there was no progress in the plot whatsoever)

That purple eye will become my new avatar...

Too bad White Album 2 has infinitely more likeable and interesting characters than this and is actually about musical performances so it really doesn't matter. Not that people really seem to care about this sort of thing anymore though. As long as it looks nice and is cute it's better right?
Nov 6, 2013 8:45 PM

Jan 2013
For posterity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7IDwyucAj8

I miss image BBC Code. May this sig stand as a testament to SSJMaster's power.
Nov 6, 2013 9:03 PM

Jan 2010
That was fun. Kudos to KyoAni for some wonderful artwork and animation. I guess all that posing for photographs was good for something. They were all great but Kuriyama was dazzling. Best dance choreography since Hare Hare Youkai. I hope they put together and animate the full song. Then they could put it on iTunes for a couple of bucks.
Nov 6, 2013 9:04 PM

Nov 2009
I was nearly moved by their performance with flash backs and all, but I could not help but anticipate the punch line where they forgot who is going to attack the youmu.

lol

great episode.
darkzero999Nov 7, 2013 12:36 AM
Nov 6, 2013 9:20 PM
Oct 2013
I think I died a little inside when Ai came in and danced. Dat kawaiiness (*´▽`*)
Nov 6, 2013 9:22 PM

Aug 2012
So much greatness in one episode, that was hilarious.

Nov 6, 2013 9:41 PM

Jan 2013
Defeat it with moe. Man that was great. Amazing animation too.
Nov 6, 2013 9:59 PM

Jun 2009
Great ep and was i the only one who felt like that Youmu when the song and dance was going on?
Nov 6, 2013 9:59 PM

Aug 2013
Was a little too silly. Although Ai was pretty cute at the end. Also those fan service shower scenes.
Nov 6, 2013 10:09 PM

Jun 2013
I feel like this episode was inconsistent with the tone the series has presented thus far, but who cares! This episode dished out the best comedy I've seen this season.

5/5
Nov 6, 2013 10:20 PM

Jan 2013
i lost it 100% at the montage during the performance and then Ai jumped in and made it more crazy

best filler/troll episode ever.

poor smelly Mitsuki
Nov 6, 2013 10:39 PM

Mar 2012
This felt like a filler episode...but at least a good one. I laughed my ass off at several scenes and I lost it at the end when they broke out into a choreographed song and dance...and then the very end when they didn't plan the most important part.
Nov 6, 2013 10:48 PM

Mar 2013
Best episode.lol that idol show and those flashbacks,LOVED IT XD
Nov 6, 2013 11:06 PM

Nov 2010
Enojayable, but it felt so out of place compared to the previous episodes
That Yomou was never catched right?
Nov 6, 2013 11:26 PM

Oct 2012
This should have been put into an ova instead of the anime. But I guess kyoanis trying to boost sales with idol dancing. After all, sales mean almost everything to the studios.
Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
Nov 6, 2013 11:27 PM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Did I miss something hear or am I just thinking about this more clearly and recognizing patterns with this show more than most?

Did you consider that maybe some people aren't cynical? You go on and on, speaking as if KyoAni owes you something. None of us are actually sheeps. If you keep acting as though everyone is blind, that you're one of the only enlightened few who can see this "forced humor," then you're just making yourself look like a crotchy old man.
IronLobsterNov 6, 2013 11:36 PM
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Nov 6, 2013 11:27 PM
Oct 2012
To be honest, I think this was best episode of the show so far given that the story is...well...I think that says it all.

I don't actually mind they throw what little plot they have aside for episodes like this.
Nov 6, 2013 11:54 PM

Dec 2012
This was quite a funny episode. Loved the formation of the idol group at the end. That song was really good. Funny how no was there to defeat it after it was completely distracted.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 7, 2013 12:03 AM

Aug 2013
Hilarious episode, made me laugh a lot. All that work for nothing.
wow gay
Nov 7, 2013 12:43 AM

Apr 2012
Very enjoyable episode. First it was Kekkaishi, then it was like Chuunibyou and now it's Idolmaster.
Kentaro Miura need to watch this show.
Nov 7, 2013 12:53 AM

Jun 2013
I was already wondering who was going to kill that youmu when they started dancing and singing.
XD
Nov 7, 2013 1:51 AM

Oct 2011
It was okay, hilarious episode but that ending... wtf. Yaaaah do hardwork dis and dat den he explodes anyway. Highlight of this epi was Ai
Nov 7, 2013 1:57 AM

May 2013
I love it!
especially in Yakusoku no Kizuna song!
made by bunnyama
Nov 7, 2013 2:33 AM

Jun 2013
Not gonna lie, this might favourite episode yet. I know this is filler and a much more typical KyoAni-style comedy. ... but it just feels more natural that the dramatic episodes to me. Can't resist the moe stuff, yes, but I don't think they can balance them at the level this show tries to and make it without rapid tone-shifts.
JivingLotusNov 7, 2013 3:10 AM
Nov 7, 2013 3:01 AM

Aug 2013
Akihito: Hiromi, I just remembered something.
Hiromi: What is it?
Akihito: If I remember right, Kuriyama-san told me that she's a horrible singer.
Hiromi: Akkey...
Akihito: Hmmm
Hiromi: It's too late.

I love this episode :)
Nov 7, 2013 3:33 AM
Jan 2013
This showed what Kyoani does their best at, also showed that this is the only thing they are capable of.
Nov 7, 2013 4:10 AM
Oct 2011
This episode has enough material to make up an entire 12-episode anime LOL =)))))
Nov 7, 2013 4:25 AM

Nov 2012
wtf... well i didn't expect this to be some idol show...
although this episode wasn't THAT bad, at least had some somewhat funny moments.
but i still have the problem that i don't care about any of the characters at all and the plot is wishy-washy :/ guess it's only turning into a slice-of-life after all..
Nov 7, 2013 5:15 AM

Aug 2012
This episode was the the most absurd kind of enjoyment that I was expecting from Kill la Kill.

Episode of the season.
Nov 7, 2013 5:21 AM

Jul 2011
5/5

Very enjoyable! It surprised me a bit, the direction of this episode was excellent!

Can someone tell me if it was a filler or not? nevermind I got it
Nov 7, 2013 5:45 AM

Aug 2010
KyoAni getting desperate by inserting Instant Success Guaranteed Just Add Idols, or were they just have fun? Either way, it was a surprisingly funny and entertaining episode, the bad writing that plagues this show wasn't that obvious this time around. Well done. 4/5.

Ps: Idols, who are secretly ghost exterminators. Found it!
Nov 7, 2013 5:48 AM

Aug 2012
Moeoverload... hnnng... And that final weapon was just.... unexpectedly... cute. I think I lost a lot of blood.
Nov 7, 2013 5:51 AM

Dec 2008
What...the...hell?! OMG!! Not only did I laugh out a lung, but I think I ruptured my spleen as well. And Hiromi...ROFL!!!
Nov 7, 2013 6:11 AM
Feb 2010
Funniest episode in this season so far I think... Lol.
Almost literally ROFLed... Kuriyama's singing was dam funny!
Nov 7, 2013 6:51 AM

Apr 2010
Funny episode really liked their failures for the most part, thank god for mute function tho because the last part of the episode was just unnecessary i really dislike scenes like that.
On the other hand the question that remains is did they defeat the Youmu.
Nov 7, 2013 7:01 AM

Aug 2008
I can't believe that this episode is made, feels so weird! XD
Nov 7, 2013 7:37 AM

Jul 2013
Somehow this episode felt like a filler (or OVA). so nothing really happen in this. But it was funny overall, trying to defeat the youma in numerous attempts.

Pretty much the ending dance was pretty amusing, with some of Ai scenes being to moe.

Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.