Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Oct 25, 2013 7:57 AM

Apr 2011
When Akihito woke up, Mirai was still hugging him. I was like, "AWWW...so cute" XD
Oct 25, 2013 9:07 AM

Oct 2011
Visuals are superb in this anime! Wow.. Though I still don't like Mirai that much. I just can't stand all her Moe-ness and her "pity me" attitude. =/ She seems to have snapped out of it finally though. Hopefully next episode she starts growing up.

Hiromi is the star of this anime for me. Whoever can make me laugh the most wins in my book. Dat ringtone!! xD Him and his sister need SO much more screen time. They are better MC material then the current two MCs...

Overall though, I adore this anime.
Oct 25, 2013 9:48 AM

Nov 2009
am i not the only one who feels this sort of "Harry Potter Movie" kind of ambiance in this anime? Or was it Mirai just looked like a female HP with all that ragged pauper look, messy hair, and trademark glasses?

Oct 25, 2013 10:25 AM

Apr 2012
I still think they are wasting the world they've created by focusing on Mirai so much. I will probably still enjoy watching the show though.
"Rejoice! We are humans— we are the most talented people! Precisely because we were born without any ability— we can achieve anything— this is the will of the weakest race!" – Sora, ‘No game No life Vol.01’
Oct 25, 2013 11:15 AM

Oct 2011
An emotional episode that brought Akihito and Mirai closer! I wonder if Akihito can control his Yomu/hollow side?
Oct 25, 2013 11:22 AM

Dec 2012
Thread Cleaned

Provocative words removed. Quote towers put into spoiler tag,
Oct 25, 2013 12:09 PM

Jan 2012
Hey did anyone else notice that the hallow shadow's crystal thing and the rock they turned in looked nothing alike? Something fishy is going on here. We never actually saw them pick up the Hallow Shadow's crystal thingy either.
Oct 25, 2013 12:10 PM
Feb 2013
GarLogan78 said:
Mich666 said:
hershuay said:
How was there no logic in this setting? It's obvious you weren't even paying attention to the story, as there was a background to everything that happened in this episode. What you've wrote here clearly states you're simply hating this anime BECAUSE it's by KyoAni. /hah

No, I liked KyoAni but lately quality of this studio is going rapidly down (mainly in writing, graphics are still top notch). And likewise, I really don't like the people who goes blindly defending some title without admitting its flaws only because it is done by their favourte studio). I know many fanboys will disagree but before you say something try to compare KyoAni's previous animes and new ones, in terms of quality and enjoyment of course. Only Chuunibyo was kinda good but definitely not great in last year. Lately, I am facepalming almost at every their episode (be it some weird dialogue a person would never say, character quirk or simply illogical action) and that's simply something that's not acceptable. Gone is the lightness and cleverness of Haruhi, emotivity and intimacy of Clannad or comedy of K-On.

And I could continue so on and on but I already devoted enough of my time to this.

I don't see how anything beyond the animation is inherently Kyoto Animation's fault. The series is based on a light novel, so if you don't like the construction of the fictional world then you should be blaming the source material, not the animation company. If you want to blame Kyoto Animation, look to original series like Tamako Market or Munto and make your judgements.

I am not saying I disagree with any of your opinions about the show's flaws, but character quirks and plot devices are not the fault of the animation studio unless they changed something from the source material.

That said, if it's based on a light novel, and not a manga, the way it is interpreted...well, let's say it leaves more room to fill in with ones *own* portrayal of it. To make a simplified example; if in the light novel it was said x killed Y, and it wasn't actually depicted in utmost detail how he killed Y, then the studio could choose a zillion different ways of killing Y. Some cool and others cheesy. Some that make sense, and some that don't. Etc.

Point of matter, even if one stays close to the original, a novel gives a lot more leeway for the studio to fill in the visuals than a manga.

So I don't think it's fully warranted to say one can only blame the source material. Every source material needs some interpretation and way of visualising it, and while there is limited room with a manga (provided one wants to stay close to the original), there is far more with a light novel, and certainly with a novel or book. It's perfectly possible thus, that it CAN be blamed on the studio (not saying it does, just pointing out the fault in the reasoning).

First of all, the studio might have deviated, wilfully or not - and let's face it, to some point there is ALWAYS a deviation, even based on manga. Secondly, the more leeway they have in interpreting things, the more it can have its effect - including a detrimental effect - on the story, as it is portrayed - even if one might technically agree they stayed close to the source IF you follow their interpretation of it.

Even the omission of what they consider details can have a deadly effect on the story, characters, and especially the consistency and the believability of the world that is created (the devil is in the details, after all). Sometimes a look can make or break a scene, or a minute detail(s) adds to the believability of the world in subtle ways, etc.

Now, I don't know the studio well, but the conclusion I want to make is, it's too simple to say it's NOT the studio, and one can ONLY blame the source. No, it's quite possible one CAN blame the studio. Or both. If one really want to make the case it's not the studio but the source that is in fault, one would have to take a particular argument or remark of the parent poster, and demonstrate it was exactly like that in the original source, without much leeway for interpretation, so it can't be blamed on the studio. I don't think I saw any post doing that.

That said, the reverse is also true: I don't agree with just blaming the studio for everything neither, as some have done, I'll grant you that. The most prudent and logical way to view things, is that it is probably a combination of both: some criticism is probably more geared towards the source(s), and some of it is due to the studio either deviating, omitting, adding and interpreting it when turning it into a visual medium like anime.
AnimageNebyOct 25, 2013 12:15 PM
Oct 25, 2013 12:28 PM
Apr 2013
I have to say this episode was entertaining to me! Although I do wish that they could have of went just a tad bit deeper into explaining Sakura, but they may have planned for a more dramatic explanation later. Who knows. I loved Akihito going into his youmu form. I think that was the most appealing part of the episode for me. Even though some people say that hugging him to change him back was cliche a move I think it wasn't too bad considering her blood and what not it was a pretty effective way. Or at least thats my opinion.
KoreanMunchkinOct 25, 2013 12:31 PM
Oct 25, 2013 2:23 PM

Aug 2012
Akihito is such a badass in his hollow shade form
Oct 25, 2013 2:26 PM

Jul 2012
Erzaa said:
Hiromi is the star of this anime for me. Whoever can make me laugh the most wins in my book. Dat ringtone!! xD Him and his sister need SO much more screen time. They are better MC material then the current two MCs...

This. He has an adorable character design, beautiful actor behind his voice, AND is funny and strong.
Oct 25, 2013 2:32 PM

Aug 2009
I just loved the episode, and this show.. just great stuff <3
Oct 25, 2013 3:27 PM

Jan 2010
wasnt she covered in her own blood?? i feel like thats why the hug worked or probably something to do with it idk
5/5 for this episode
Oct 25, 2013 4:07 PM

Oct 2009
Akihito was beast.
Best episode so far. At least we get to see some development around him.

Is it me or it seems Akihito half-youmu power is way more powerful than the all-so-called powerful hollow shadow?

Oct 25, 2013 4:21 PM

Oct 2008
ahhh and there goes the pace. i was starting to enjoy it more or less the past few episodes cuz the plot seemed pretty good but now they just went a bit too far in this one episode. it'd be better if they let the characters grow on each other a bit before doing that whole scene with akihito going berserk and throwing that "do i look like a normal human" thing right back at mirai right away. i could feel they'd do it but i was still disappointed. imo it's a really cute and touching scene but just..way too rushed! if they had done it after a few more episodes it would seem more genuine i guess.
but the animation is so good damn you kyoani
and the character i am most attached to is the siscon brother haha

also i feel really bad for how Kaioshin_Sama got treated on this forum
sure thing he lashed out a bit in the first post but he explained himself really well and he's got quite a few points so really, the hate was totally unnecessary, just read what he's actually saying
Oct 25, 2013 5:14 PM
Oct 2012
Mich666 said:
Main character has nekomimi mother, really?

Really? No. As they said five seconds later, she is human. The get up she was wearing was a joke.

Mich666 said:
Main heroine tries to kill main character all the time yet she suddenly hesitates in the moment where it matters the most.

Last episode she said she was going to stop trying to kill him. You sort of missed all the development between the first episode and this one.

Mich666 said:
And she is afraid of killing shadows for some reason I don't get

She isn't afraid of killing shadows. Why she doesn't do it has nothing to do with fear. And yes, she did want to kill them all (until she learned that some are just like humans, something she hadn't learned during her upbringing, but was able to come to grips with fairly soon). It isn't she has an issue with killing shadows, rather she has an issue with killing in general. As stated in episodes 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Mich666 said:
And I could continue so on and on but I already devoted enough of my time to this.

I could go on and continue to show how you missed things that were explained already, but I think I have enough of my time on this.

I am not saying that this show is perfect, or even great (I think it is, as per normal for KyoAni, above average and relatively entertaining), but damn there is something about KyoAni shows that brings out the idiot in their critics.
Oct 26, 2013 1:12 AM

Nov 2012
nice episode :3
that moment when that stone from hollow shadow has been taken :3 oh boy
Oct 26, 2013 2:15 AM

Jan 2012
fck yeah!!! I love this episode... especially that berserk scene LOL
Oct 26, 2013 2:19 AM

Nov 2011
Really reminded me of Ichigo's hollow transformation from bleach. If anything it was really to similar like I was watching the same thing...

4/5 enjoyed the episode overall but still can't shake the feeling that it was a complete copy from bleach.
Oct 26, 2013 3:19 AM

Dec 2011
AnimageNeby said:
GarLogan78 said:
Mich666 said:
hershuay said:
How was there no logic in this setting? It's obvious you weren't even paying attention to the story, as there was a background to everything that happened in this episode. What you've wrote here clearly states you're simply hating this anime BECAUSE it's by KyoAni. /hah

No, I liked KyoAni but lately quality of this studio is going rapidly down (mainly in writing, graphics are still top notch). And likewise, I really don't like the people who goes blindly defending some title without admitting its flaws only because it is done by their favourte studio). I know many fanboys will disagree but before you say something try to compare KyoAni's previous animes and new ones, in terms of quality and enjoyment of course. Only Chuunibyo was kinda good but definitely not great in last year. Lately, I am facepalming almost at every their episode (be it some weird dialogue a person would never say, character quirk or simply illogical action) and that's simply something that's not acceptable. Gone is the lightness and cleverness of Haruhi, emotivity and intimacy of Clannad or comedy of K-On.

I don't see how anything beyond the animation is inherently Kyoto Animation's fault. The series is based on a light novel, so if you don't like the construction of the fictional world then you should be blaming the source material, not the animation company. If you want to blame Kyoto Animation, look to original series like Tamako Market or Munto and make your judgements.

I am not saying I disagree with any of your opinions about the show's flaws, but character quirks and plot devices are not the fault of the animation studio unless they changed something from the source material.

That said, if it's based on a light novel, and not a manga, the way it is interpreted...well, let's say it leaves more room to fill in with ones *own* portrayal of it. To make a simplified example; if in the light novel it was said x killed Y, and it wasn't actually depicted in utmost detail how he killed Y, then the studio could choose a zillion different ways of killing Y. Some cool and others cheesy. Some that make sense, and some that don't. Etc.

Point of matter, even if one stays close to the original, a novel gives a lot more leeway for the studio to fill in the visuals than a manga.

So I don't think it's fully warranted to say one can only blame the source material. Every source material needs some interpretation and way of visualising it, and while there is limited room with a manga (provided one wants to stay close to the original), there is far more with a light novel, and certainly with a novel or book. It's perfectly possible thus, that it CAN be blamed on the studio (not saying it does, just pointing out the fault in the reasoning).

First of all, the studio might have deviated, wilfully or not - and let's face it, to some point there is ALWAYS a deviation, even based on manga. Secondly, the more leeway they have in interpreting things, the more it can have its effect - including a detrimental effect - on the story, as it is portrayed - even if one might technically agree they stayed close to the source IF you follow their interpretation of it.

Even the omission of what they consider details can have a deadly effect on the story, characters, and especially the consistency and the believability of the world that is created (the devil is in the details, after all). Sometimes a look can make or break a scene, or a minute detail(s) adds to the believability of the world in subtle ways, etc.

Now, I don't know the studio well, but the conclusion I want to make is, it's too simple to say it's NOT the studio, and one can ONLY blame the source. No, it's quite possible one CAN blame the studio. Or both. If one really want to make the case it's not the studio but the source that is in fault, one would have to take a particular argument or remark of the parent poster, and demonstrate it was exactly like that in the original source, without much leeway for interpretation, so it can't be blamed on the studio. I don't think I saw any post doing that.

That said, the reverse is also true: I don't agree with just blaming the studio for everything neither, as some have done, I'll grant you that. The most prudent and logical way to view things, is that it is probably a combination of both: some criticism is probably more geared towards the source(s), and some of it is due to the studio either deviating, omitting, adding and interpreting it when turning it into a visual medium like anime.

"Look into originals like tamako market" is a bad argument. Especially since Tamako Market is probably their most boring and mediocre work. The main character looks like a clone of the main from hyouka(I mean just look at the ending where her hair is down). The characters all have very little interesting things about them (besides a few side characters but they are basically forgotten outside their one or two eps) and no character development. They put in some things that could be interesting like tamako's blonde friend who has a crush on her, or tamako's sister who is one of the most interesting/realistic characters, tamako's mom/dad.. But these things are quickly forgotten or not build upon outside of their individual places.. Like once it happened it doesn't matter anymore or has no effect on the story or characters..

Kyonai has done some good stuff.. That is true but lately it seems like they are just going for moe appeal and not actual interesting characters with interesting developments. This show has all the aspects it needs great characters designs, animation, and story elements but it is failing at executing them at its full potential. It tries to be witty in the banter but fails, it tries to be dramatic and emotional but falls flat, it tries to have a good story but poor explanation and illogical actions, it'd also failing to make me care for these characters.

This is all my opinion but I feel kyonai could do better because they've shown they can but so far it seems like all their effort goes into animation and visuals and not the actual story or script.
Oct 26, 2013 3:28 AM

Dec 2011
Takuan_Soho said:

Mich666 said:

She isn't afraid of killing shadows. Why she doesn't do it has nothing to do with fear. And yes, she did want to kill them all (until she learned that some are just like humans, something she hadn't learned during her upbringing, but was able to come to grips with fairly soon). It isn't she has an issue with killing shadows, rather she has an issue with killing in general. As stated in episodes 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Actually in episode number one she said she was afraid of going into her apartment because their was a shadow (I forgot the word for it) in there. Then she showed fear and flashbacks before stabbing it.. It's obvious she is afraid of them because of one of them she ended up killing a friend. It has nothing to do its seeing them as humans since in that ep she was still stabbing the guy and had yet to meet the other human looking shadows. She is a bit contradictory if what you say about not killing anybody is true (contradictory any way actually) since she as soon as she met the main stabbed him in order to kill him (she didn't know he was immortal) she sensed shadow on him and want to kill and yet later is afraid of killing a simple one in her apartment.
Oct 26, 2013 4:14 AM

Sep 2012
This is so intense, Akihito's gone wild. Love this episode :)

iNeon said:
Really reminded me of Ichigo's hollow transformation from bleach. If anything it was really to similar like I was watching the same thing...

4/5 enjoyed the episode overall but still can't shake the feeling that it was a complete copy from bleach.

It's good so who cares about that.
Oct 26, 2013 4:55 AM

Jul 2008
Hiroomi looks like he can make some big bucks with all his stones :P not a fan of Akihito's glasses obsession, it was ok at first but then more he repeats it the more I can't stand it >.<

Finally we get to see a badass Mirai in action :) But Akihito's form is the best so far, reallt interested to know who his parents are :D

I'm guessing that Izumi stole the stone because it's worth a lot and their organisation needed the fund for some reason, even so I was unhappy that they didn't at least acknowledge Mirai as the victor in that battle...thats the least Izumi could have done seeing that she took the stone =.=
Oct 26, 2013 5:39 AM
Feb 2013
grumpytoast said:
Takuan_Soho said:

Mich666 said:

Actually in episode number one she said she was afraid of going into her apartment because their was a shadow (I forgot the word for it) in there. Then she showed fear and flashbacks before stabbing it.. It's obvious she is afraid of them because of one of them she ended up killing a friend. It has nothing to do its seeing them as humans since in that ep she was still stabbing the guy and had yet to meet the other human looking shadows. She is a bit contradictory if what you say about not killing anybody is true (contradictory any way actually) since she as soon as she met the main stabbed him in order to kill him (she didn't know he was immortal) she sensed shadow on him and want to kill and yet later is afraid of killing a simple one in her apartment.

Hmm..good point. Indeed, this seems another contradiction. She was afraid of shadows up until now, yet had no trouble stabbing him through his hearth (and mind you, she didn't know he was immortal back then). And all that because she sensed something 'youma' in him. She can't stab a normal youma, but she can stab one that looks like a human? that doesn't make much sense, *especially* if one contends she just doesn't like killing in general.

Reversely, since she had no qualms stabbing him before, even not knowing then that he was immortal, and when no real need or necessity was there, it's incomprehensible she was so reluctant to stab him when the necessity WAS there, and she DID know by now that he was immortal.

I agree that, however you turn it, this is a prety illogical and contradictory thing. Tha
Oct 26, 2013 6:38 AM

Aug 2008
So glad Izumi stole that hollow shadow before Mirai got her grubby hands on it. :D
Oct 26, 2013 7:35 AM

Dec 2012
Amarrez said:
Okay, cool, so I'm watching Naruto now? DARKNESS as well as friendship and hugs conquering all?

Great. Thanks, Kyoani.

The hell are you talking about? Hugs and the power of friendship never saved anyone on Naruto.
Oct 26, 2013 8:37 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Amarrez said:
Okay, cool, so I'm watching Naruto now? DARKNESS as well as friendship and hugs conquering all?

Great. Thanks, Kyoani.

The hell are you talking about? Hugs and the power of friendship never saved anyone on Naruto.

If anything, Akkey's glasses fetish is what snapped him out of it.
Oct 26, 2013 10:04 AM
Jan 2012
For me, this show is turning out to be one of my favorites of the season. Enjoying the visuals and that action. Looks like the next episode will focus more on character development.
Oct 26, 2013 11:07 AM
Oct 2012
AnimageNeby said:
grumpytoast said:
Takuan_Soho said:
It isn't she has an issue with killing shadows, rather she has an issue with killing in general.

Actually in episode number one she said she was afraid of going into her apartment because their was a shadow (I forgot the word for it) in there. Then she showed fear and flashbacks before stabbing it.. It's obvious she is afraid of them because of one of them she ended up killing a friend.

Hmm..good point. Indeed, this seems another contradiction. She was afraid of shadows up until now,

Nope, you both missed what she said. She said that she was afraid of taking its life, she was not afraid of the youmu itself.

She didn't want to go to her room because she knew her "cursed blood" would cause her to fight it (this was all in the dialog immediately after the scene you mentioned when Akihito asked why she didn't quit being a spirit warrior). As such this has not been a contradiction in this show; from the first attack on Akihito in episode 1 to her last attack on Akihito in this episode, while she can stab the Youmu with impunity, she had and still has issues with administering the killing blow to anything, including Youmu. Even in this episode, Akihito had to force her blade through him when he was possessed and she knew he was immortal.

The funny thing isn't that people claim that the show doesn't address concerns when it does, people miss things all the time (myself included), rather when their misinterpretation is pointed out to them they refuse to accept it, and instead will continue to insist that this is a contradiction. This psychological condition is called "cognitive dissonance" and seem particularly rampant among the "KyoAni haters" out there.
Oct 26, 2013 11:47 AM
Jan 2010
kyoani shits it up again
Oct 26, 2013 4:21 PM

Apr 2012
Seriously? THAT was the dark Hollow? Lets be honest Glasses Girls isnt really that great of a spirit fighter and yet she took down the all might Hollow Shade with ease, what the fuck where all the other Spirit Hunters afraid of?

Also why the Fuck does she hesitate stabbing Glasses fetish guy? She stabbed him the first time she ever saw him without any hint of hesitation, and repeatedly stabbed him afterwards, but whenever their faces turn hideous she can't do it cause then she is hesitating...

Seriously wtf is wrong with the 2 main characters they are so bad its incredible. Also power of love makes him turn back to human? What is this elementary school?

If it werent for the awesome visuals and somewhat interesting premise and story I wouldnt watch this. Its just so sad that this show would be so much better if they just removed the 2 main characters completely.

Hell sometimes I think the show knows how stupid it is. Like when she kept saying stay away from me the guy said "Why the fuck did you approach me first, if you want me to stay away from you.". Exactly what I was thinking. Its good that the show realizes how stupid it is, but it doesnt seem to adress its problems, they never really answered why she approached him in the first place and had a sudden change of heart. And why she could stab him first when she didnt know he was immortal, but couldnt afterwards when he was almost possessed by the hollow shade and knew he was immortal.

All in all this show needs to get its shit togheter, drop the dumb hipster act and apply some goddamn sound logic with its characters unless it just wants to go into the annals of amazing looking, sounding but with extremely shit characters.
Oct 26, 2013 4:24 PM

May 2011
Bleh, those characters... I even found that woman with kansai-ben more entertaining than anyone else just for her dialect alone. The animation is very nice, but the rest... meh, I just can't get myself to like it at all. The characters aren't sympatic at all, their behavior hardly makes any sense if you think about it even a bit, the pacing is strange and the story is average at best-- I think I'll be dropping this. What a shame, I generally really like KyoAni works.
VokocaOct 26, 2013 4:28 PM
Oct 26, 2013 6:29 PM

Dec 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
AnimageNeby said:
grumpytoast said:
Takuan_Soho said:
It isn't she has an issue with killing shadows, rather she has an issue with killing in general.

Actually in episode number one she said she was afraid of going into her apartment because their was a shadow (I forgot the word for it) in there. Then she showed fear and flashbacks before stabbing it.. It's obvious she is afraid of them because of one of them she ended up killing a friend.

Hmm..good point. Indeed, this seems another contradiction. She was afraid of shadows up until now,

Nope, you both missed what she said. She said that she was afraid of taking its life, she was not afraid of the youmu itself.

She didn't want to go to her room because she knew her "cursed blood" would cause her to fight it (this was all in the dialog immediately after the scene you mentioned when Akihito asked why she didn't quit being a spirit warrior). As such this has not been a contradiction in this show; from the first attack on Akihito in episode 1 to her last attack on Akihito in this episode, while she can stab the Youmu with impunity, she had and still has issues with administering the killing blow to anything, including Youmu. Even in this episode, Akihito had to force her blade through him when he was possessed and she knew he was immortal.

The funny thing isn't that people claim that the show doesn't address concerns when it does, people miss things all the time (myself included), rather when their misinterpretation is pointed out to them they refuse to accept it, and instead will continue to insist that this is a contradiction. This psychological condition is called "cognitive dissonance" and seem particularly rampant among the "KyoAni haters" out there.

Then why did she stab him when they first met? She didn't know he was immortal, he looked human but had a youmo sense about him.. If she was soooo afraid of taking lives youmo or not or of her own blood taking over she wouldn't of attacked him in the first place just like she wouldn't attack that youmo in her room.

She was stabbing him all the time before knowing he was immortal (except that first time) and yet when it matters she couldn't even though she knew he was immortal, she tested it out herself plenty of times..

The show is obviously contradictory and doesn't explain things well.. If it did explain things well then there wouldn't be so much confusion among the people watching it. So it obviously isn't addressing thing very well.
Oct 26, 2013 6:34 PM

Apr 2012
Was getting tired of Kuriyama's whining, so this episode made me pretty happy.
Oct 26, 2013 6:56 PM
Oct 2012
grumpytoast said:
Then why did she stab him when they first met? She didn't know he was immortal, he looked human but had a youmo sense about him. If she was soooo afraid of taking lives youmo or not or of her own blood taking over she wouldn't of attacked him in the first place just like she wouldn't attack that youmo in her room.

Because it isn't like she wants to be afraid of killing. She wants to be able to kill Youmu, her hesitancy is something she wants to outgrow. That was why she kept attacking Akihito. Once she learned he was immortal, she thought she would eventually become desensitized to killing.

grumpytoast said:
She was stabbing him all the time before knowing he was immortal (except that first time) and yet when it matters she couldn't even though she knew he was immortal, she tested it out herself plenty of times..

Again, she meant to kill him, and she continued to mean to kill him until she learned that not all youmu are the same (and evil). What you all are missing is that she is not completely in control of her actions, she wants to be able to administer the killing blow, but her mind rebels at the exact moment. Because this is a real trauma and not a fake tv trauma, she is aware of her problem and is trying to overcome it, but the nature of a real trauma is such that merely because you are aware of it doesn't make it go away.

grumpytoast said:
The show is obviously contradictory and doesn't explain things well.. If it did explain things well then there wouldn't be so much confusion among the people watching it. So it obviously isn't addressing thing very well.

Honestly, while there are some thing that haven't been explained well, the problems that most of the detractors are pointing out is with their inability to understand simple complexity rather than the show itself.

Or in other words, you idiots are pissed because this show isn't a "paint by numbers" type of show, but rather requires you to think a bit for yourselves. But just because this show doesn't spell things out for you a single letter at a time, doesn't mean that the problem is with the show itself. I mean seriously, just because they don't put placards out for you doesn't mean this is the show's problem.
Oct 27, 2013 2:25 AM

Apr 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
grumpytoast said:
Then why did she stab him when they first met? She didn't know he was immortal, he looked human but had a youmo sense about him. If she was soooo afraid of taking lives youmo or not or of her own blood taking over she wouldn't of attacked him in the first place just like she wouldn't attack that youmo in her room.

Because it isn't like she wants to be afraid of killing. She wants to be able to kill Youmu, her hesitancy is something she wants to outgrow. That was why she kept attacking Akihito. Once she learned he was immortal, she thought she would eventually become desensitized to killing.

grumpytoast said:

Again, she meant to kill him, and she continued to mean to kill him until she learned that not all youmu are the same (and evil). What you all are missing is that she is not completely in control of her actions, she wants to be able to administer the killing blow, but her mind rebels at the exact moment. Because this is a real trauma and not a fake tv trauma, she is aware of her problem and is trying to overcome it, but the nature of a real trauma is such that merely because you are aware of it doesn't make it go away.

grumpytoast said:

Honestly, while there are some thing that haven't been explained well, the problems that most of the detractors are pointing out is with their inability to understand simple complexity rather than the show itself.

Or in other words, you idiots are pissed because this show isn't a "paint by numbers" type of show, but rather requires you to think a bit for yourselves. But just because this show doesn't spell things out for you a single letter at a time, doesn't mean that the problem is with the show itself. I mean seriously, just because they don't put placards out for you doesn't mean this is the show's problem.

Please dont give this show credit for what it doesnt have. Its obviously contradictory no matter how much shit you interpret into it. She had little to no hesitation at all the first time she stabbed him when he was human with a littel youma aura to him and her not knowing he is immortal, but she hesitated A LOT 4 episodes later when he was in fulll youma mode and she knew he was immortal and she had stabbed him countless times, with little to no hesitation before.

Bullshit stays bullshit no matter how much you try to hide it.
Oct 27, 2013 2:37 AM

Jul 2013
I just want to say I love Kyoukai no Kanata's ED. That is all.
Oct 27, 2013 3:06 AM

Dec 2011
baki502 said:
Takuan_Soho said:
grumpytoast said:

grumpytoast said:

grumpytoast said:

Please dont give this show credit for what it doesnt have. Its obviously contradictory no matter how much shit you interpret into it. She had little to no hesitation at all the first time she stabbed him when he was human with a littel youma aura to him and her not knowing he is immortal, but she hesitated A LOT 4 episodes later when he was in fulll youma mode and she knew he was immortal and she had stabbed him countless times, with little to no hesitation before.

You are trying to hard to read in and justify this show and it's contradictions and instability.
Honestly the script is pretty bad that even if their was some deeper stuff like you claim my mind pretty much goes off automatically at their attempt to be witty and smart.

While she was still stabbing him and according to you yet to see him as human is when the apartment scene happened.. At this point he was still trying to gain her friendship and stop her from stabbing him.. Also from the scene where it showed flashback of her and her friend, it's pretty much perceived (from a majority of the people watching) that her fear comes from killing a friend because of youma's. she doesn't want to fight it in fear of killing another. She is so afraid of killing people that she can't kill a youma and yet attacks him on their first meeting. Also she shouldn't be afraid of killing him in this episode since she knows he can't die.

Sorry but this show isn't as deep as your giving it credit for. Kyonai recently (some of their later works are better) are paint by numbers. These characters aren't as well laid out as your hope for. This isn't some deep, psychological, hidden meaning anime.
grumpytoastOct 27, 2013 5:29 PM
Oct 27, 2013 2:31 PM

Nov 2012
I really like this show.
The memory labyrinth was really cool.
Was cool and kind of surprising to find out Akihito has a crazy powerful demon form. I didn't expect that.
The hug bringing him back was so cliche and predictable, but I couldn't help but feel warm inside from that part.
Slaine did nothing wrong.
Oct 27, 2013 7:19 PM

Dec 2008
THE POWER OF THE HUG SAVE THE DAY!!

(>._.)><(._.<)
Oct 27, 2013 8:05 PM

Apr 2013
I need to start this show.

BTW. I already have a copy of the full version of the OP theme... <3

Oct 27, 2013 10:22 PM

Aug 2012
What's with the hug overpowering 3 people's power combined? Geez :))
Anyway, awesome visual as always.
Oct 27, 2013 10:23 PM

Oct 2007
baki502 said:
Takuan_Soho said:
grumpytoast said:

grumpytoast said:

grumpytoast said:

But then what else would the Kyoani fans find to do? Praising the companies shows for anything and everything is pretty much the only way they know how to react. It's like practically an ingrained reflex.

But seriously yeah I think that's the thing about the characters that continues to bother me the most. That was their introduction and the defining scene of their relationship starting, her trying to stab him with no knowledge of what he was at that point. It makes absolutely no sense that she would try to stab a random person who could have just died and yet she can't bring herself to do anything when there's real danger and the solution is in terms of the context of this anime entirely feasible and low risk. It's also impossible now not to keep going back to that particular scene and finding contradictions, it's almost like the writer seems to have completely forgot that it happened or something among other things like Sakura disappearing mid episode with no explanation for example. It just makes her look like a really poorly thought out heroine in terms of basic logic, reasoning and problem solving abilities, but then Akihito is no spring prize here either. The show really suffers from it's two lead characters lack of charisma, consistency and definition of character.
PeacingOutOct 27, 2013 10:33 PM
Oct 28, 2013 12:26 AM

Jun 2013
If the hug was that powerful, then in the first place, the three of them shouldn't have wasted their power and even got injured hahahaha but nonetheless it was kinda sweet.

AWESOME VISUALS ONCE AGAIN

each ep is keeping me excited for the next ep
Oct 28, 2013 1:06 AM

Mar 2013
Best episode so far.
Monster x Monster (Akihito x Kuriyama) best pairing. Ahaha

"I love you Big Brother" ring tone ROFL
Oct 28, 2013 5:08 AM

Aug 2013
Its a good history and the OP and ED are awesome. I agree with some people about the excessive joking sometimes....but apart that its on of the bests of this Season.
Oct 28, 2013 6:07 AM

Mar 2013
Gotta admit, this show is so much better when there's no SOL or "funny" kawaii thingamajigs. My only complaint is the hug she gave Akihito, lol. Way for predictability.
Oct 28, 2013 11:55 AM
Feb 2013
grumpytoast said:
Takuan_Soho said:

Mich666 said:

Takuan_Soho said:
AnimageNeby said:
grumpytoast said:
Takuan_Soho said:

Well you rather conveniently broke off my quote just where I said 'but she did have no qualms stabbing him through the heart, though back then, she didn't know he was immortal".

Thus, the main point of contradiction remains: how comes she's afraid of killing youma, but she's not afraid of killing him (as far as she knew back then, it certainly would have killed him, if he wasn't immortal).

So your rebuttal doesn't make sense. You say "Even in this episode, Akihito had to force her blade through him when he was possessed and she knew he was immortal." Well, that's just it. She didn't have any such qualms to stab him through earlier, when she DIDN'T know he was immortal.

That's just the inconsistency we're talking about.

Btw, I'm no KyoAni hater at all; I had to look it up to know what people were talking about. Calling in some psychological reasons for it is therefore rather spurious. IMHO, you make a faulty generalisation by implying that every claimed inconsistency is in fact no inconsistency, but a psychological trait of the one claiming it IS an inconsistency. And the more he points out why it's an inconsistency, the more it 'proves' the case that he's suffering from "cognitive dissonance". This, of course, is a self-serving explanation, and ignores the possibility that people that claim there is an inconsistency simply are right, and there actually IS an inconsistency.

I don't care for psychological self-reinforcing babble, however. I only care about the logic behind it, and the rational arguments given. That is the only way to progress in a debate with opposing viewpoints, and to come to a better approximation of the observable reality, in this case, whether it's an inconsistency or not.

Otherwise, one may simply use reciprocity of the argument, and I could as well claim that all those obstinately refusing to acknowledge there is an inconsistency suffer from a cognitive dissonance. "Especially Kyoani-fanboys". See? Same argument, same value: none.

No, if you want to establish there isn't any contradiction or inconsistency, one should use proper logical arguments. So let's hear them. I'm open-minded enough to accept logical arguments even when it differs from my initial position. But please do tell, in a rational and plausible way, how comes she had no qualms stabbing him through the heart when she didn't even know he was immortal at the start. Yet, as you indicate, she DID have great difficulties killing any other youma, and won't kill even nasty looking critter-youma. Should we now presume she has less trouble stabbing humans to death, or at least human looking youma? Doesn't seem very plausible, does it?

I would call that an inconsistency. It doesn't make or break the series, but I find it difficult to believe that any person looking at it from a neutral, objective stance on it, wouldn't acknowledge it as such: a contradiction. But feel free to (logically, not psychologically) argument why this conclusion is wrong.

@other poster:

"Once she learned he was immortal, she thought she would eventually become desensitized to killing."

Doesn't explain why she didn't bat an eyelid when she stabbed him through the heart the first time. If she's so reluctant to make a finishing blow to any and all ugly youma critters even when they attack, it is extremely strange she had no such hesitation and fear when dealing a mortal blow to a good looking human-youma, even when he was being friendly.

Let's face it: It just makes little sense.
AnimageNebyOct 28, 2013 12:47 PM
Oct 28, 2013 2:12 PM

Feb 2011
Well , beast episode.
Oct 28, 2013 3:16 PM

Oct 2011
Really good episode! Great to see Akihito and Kuriyama getting closer. Not sure how much I understood how Kuriyama got Akihito to stop being in his youmu form but oh well. Strange how Mitsuki & Hiromi's older sister (?) stole the gem from the youmu.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.