Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 24, 2013 4:16 AM
Mar 2011
you see people come to these forums to bash this show, but you don't see them watch or bash a show like walkure romance which is clearly far worst. It's because this show is KyoAni and it's popular. People watch shows for the popularity, not because they actually like or dislike a show.

They dont have their own preferences or opinions. They just observe what other people like and they either join in, or go out of their way to be the opposite.
Oct 24, 2013 4:31 AM
Mar 2011
You know I did get why all that happened and what not, I guess I just expected it to be less bland and typical and delve further into things like basic things like personality and motivation not just that these things happen because it's the cliche thing to have happen. I know I might have mentioned this but this show has kind of done a poor job at establishing and defining characters. They are still at the moment very much driven by where the plot seems to want them to go rather than by what the viewer would derive as their natural instinct. I always find it better when I understand a character and why they did something because it helps to make those "subtleties" that the current anime community finds so all important actually have a meaningful impact and me go, "Why that's so that character doing that thing they do and it's why I like them".

Everything you said is 90% subjective and 10% nonsense. Just because you want every show you watch to be serious and deep doesnt mean other people want the same thing. To you, anime is this geeky, ultra serious hobby of yours that you want to project your ideals onto, to others, anime is just a tv show and entertainment.

We want comedy, we want boobs, we want love and hugs. Has noone every been in a fight or seen a fight. Mirai was just "holdin him back".

More so than stupidity or carelessness, i find that people lack imagination. What a hopeless generation.
Oct 24, 2013 4:52 AM

Nov 2011
Hmmm. A crazy powerful and destructive yomu got subdued by the power of hug...okay.

Oct 24, 2013 4:55 AM

Jul 2009
I want more than 13 episodes already, loving it!
I wonder why Izumi took the stone...
Oct 24, 2013 5:05 AM

Jul 2013
okay, definetly anime of the season for me :P
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Oct 24, 2013 5:15 AM

Apr 2011
I finally watched the post credit scene.

I'm angry at that bitch who stole the youmo stone. That should've been Mirai's. But I'm happy that the next episode will focus on Mitsuki.
Oct 24, 2013 5:26 AM

May 2012
03:15 dat shisukon

04:45 enough of the "headshots"

07:20 「Yui」 to iu kyojin

15:20 HENSHIN

17:06 HagaRen!!!

18:49 Beeburr K.O.

Horrible. 4/10. At least the ED1's a solid 4/5.
"Swallow" action next ep.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Oct 24, 2013 7:13 AM

Jul 2007
The loose ends and cliches are quite laughable but the animation makes for it I guess. I hope the plot improves later on or this will end being average-ish.
Oct 24, 2013 7:27 AM

Jul 2010
Akihito's Youmu forms was scary and strong enough.
It's good to see that Kuriyama realized that she and Akihito are the same .
Lol @ Hiroomi's ringtone .His siscon make me laugh everytime
Dat hug <3 Cliché but sweet

That was a great episode 5/5
Oct 24, 2013 7:46 AM

Jul 2010
It wasn't the power of love. It was because of Mirai's cursed blood.

You all seem to forget that Akahito is an immortal Youmu that grows stronger every time he faces fatal danger. They even said that destroying him in a cellular level won't kill him, but will only stop him.

Remember that Mirai is kinda blacklisted in the Spirit Society thingy? I'm assuming that Akahito is too, since his friends knew what was going on. Even the Barrier scarf boy had dozens of huge scars, most likely gained from Akahito's rampage.

The Hollow Shadow Stone was stolen to give some sort of protection for Mirai and Akahito. Since they were regarded as very dangerous beings.

That's why the older sister said "This should keep the Spirit Society occupied."
Oct 24, 2013 8:23 AM

Apr 2009
lovely episode! best for now!
Oct 24, 2013 8:24 AM

May 2010
The girl who couldn't touch anyone without hurting them and the boy who is immortal.

Seriously epic episode. I was hoping she would stop him. <3
MY OTP FOREVER~
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Oct 24, 2013 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Episode that seems more true in the dialogues than they were the previous episodes. The plot seems to make sense now, curious to know what will happen from now on. Narrative a tad boring in the first moments less towards the goal. Mirai do not think it will ever become MC of the series, but I wish you the best as a character. Design and animations always excellent! How cute the character of Ai in animal version! LOL
Series that has become more interesting to deserve full voting!

draker said:
So the power of the hug saved the day.
What the hell...

The power of love .... oops! Ammore ~! ROTFL

Mod Edit: Double post merged.
ThangLongOct 25, 2013 11:59 AM
Oct 24, 2013 9:57 AM
Oct 2013
First half was rushed because they wanted to get the Hollow Shadow out of the way. Escalator slow motion jump was awkward. The first half should have been smoother than that.

Second half more than made up for it, The fireballs looked weird and wonky at times, but the emotional drive of Akihito going youmu and Mirai's realization of what he's gone through more than made up for it.

Cutting to the restaurant at the end was abrupt as hell, but again this is made up by Mirai's words and actions. She looks at Akihito's plate, smiles, and continues eating. We see that Mirai, the forever-poor girl, has decided to share her food.

Then that ending starts playing. THAT ENDING. The episode left me feeling fuzzy and grinning. So it's imperfect, but I really enjoyed it so it's 5/5.
Oct 24, 2013 10:52 AM

Oct 2007
MatijaxD said:

you are quite stupid imo, do you need to have every single detail to be explained? that's stupid try to think with your brain for a change, this anime is fantastic and I don't feel like anything needs more explaining..

For the last time I'm talking about consistency and exposition which this show hasn't been very good at so far. If that's too hard to understand....well then I give up on MAL pretty much then.
Oct 24, 2013 10:55 AM

Jul 2010
Visual 5/5, the trasformation was pretty badass too.
Too bad this lacks in something called originality.

Hugs too OP nerf pls
Oct 24, 2013 12:00 PM
Feb 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
MatijaxD said:

you are quite stupid imo, do you need to have every single detail to be explained? that's stupid try to think with your brain for a change, this anime is fantastic and I don't feel like anything needs more explaining..

For the last time I'm talking about consistency and exposition which this show hasn't been very good at so far. If that's too hard to understand....well then I give up on MAL pretty much then.

I think he was trolling. He simply said, three times in a row, you were stupid, without any further arguments or rational elaboration. And at the end he just offers some bait to offend 'think with your brain', and reinstating his personal adoration of the anime, again without any substantiation. He seeks reaction, not discussion. Therefore, I think the chances he was being a troll very high.

For what it's worth, I don't follow your whole line of thought (I think the series, and especially this episode wasn't all that bad. Not great neither, but doable and with potential), but I do think you have some points.

I agree with the overuse of tropes and clichés. I've seen worse, but the series DOES have a tonload of it, and that gets annoying. I also think you have a good point and possible contradiction with the whole 'hurt state', while she stabbed him through the heart several times, earlier. Maybe one can speculate the stabbing was more severe then, but it seems a weak riposte, and certainly others would, if the world was consistent, not be inclined to let him be stabbed several times if it risked to draw out his youma state. So why did he and they allow it? With such a dangerous thing, one would try to avoid any risk.

And also, indeed, a bit strange that she now was SO unbelievably reluctant to stab him, while she had no qualms with it only a few days ago.

So, I do think your arguments aren't all invalid, and think they're worth pondering about. However, you seem to have a tendency to blame every kind of even mild appraisal to it being due to blind fanservice of the animation company (forgot its name again ;-p). This doesn't do the discussion a service. One has to realise the particular area's you deem important, can be less important (as a subjective appreciation) to others. For instance, I too find consistency of the portrayed world very important...but it could be other people don't. I'm not sure if one should feel better or superior about that, however. Yes, it does FEEL like tht, agreed. But in the end, a series like pokemon has no depth, intriguing story, plot, etc. neither, yet it scores very good with little kids. And it's perfect for that target audience, mind you. It's not 'wrong' or 'mediocre' from the standpoint that it just wants to be amusing to its target-audience.

I think this is true for every anime, including this one. So the question also is, what target audience is this anime focused on. As of yet, this isn't completely clear. I think it has some potential for a series that I could like, but it will depend on where it goes from here. Could be, it may cater more to the masses (or at least, a target-group I don't belong to), and then I'll find it mediocre at best.

So, I'm not all that negative about it as you are, but I do think it has its downsides too, and it should change some things to become really way better, at least in the area of world-consistency and originality. But, let's face it, this is the best episode so far. Still not perfect, but improving. As long as it improves, one can continue.
AnimageNebyOct 25, 2013 6:58 AM
Oct 24, 2013 12:25 PM

Apr 2010
So now we know why we didn't see his demon side yet still have to say that it's not going in a way i like, episode was ok a guess.
The ending wasn't very nice of that clan at least stealing a poor girls trophy even tho she went to a lot of trouble, makes me wonder how many where in this plot and why they took that gem for themselves.
Oct 24, 2013 12:32 PM

Mar 2012
I tried. I tried so hard, but KyoAni kept happening.

KyoAni/10
dropped/10
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 24, 2013 12:35 PM

Apr 2013
It's a really good-looking show, but the characters are so damned uninteresting. I'm glad to see KyoAni doing action scenes after so long, though. I hope they'll eventually do a series that DOESN'T involve moe characters going to high school.
Oct 24, 2013 1:31 PM

Nov 2012
Wow lots of drama and action in this fourth ep, felt more like an end of a series but was actually impressed with it.

Oct 24, 2013 1:38 PM

Feb 2008
Came here to post this:

Oct 24, 2013 1:47 PM

Oct 2012
No, no, no, no, this is bullshit, I watched 20 minutes of some unrelated would-be cool scenes without proper story. There is simply NO LOGIC in this setting, things are happening without any good reason and one can't get emotionally attached to those badly-written characters. The only good part was dialogue during last few secs in the restaurant. Listening to main heroine is painful as hell and her blood and hugging power saved the day. wth?

Again, I beg you, KyoAni, don't do any action or drama, you really suck at that.
Oct 24, 2013 2:40 PM

Aug 2013
Mich666 said:
No, no, no, no, this is bullshit, I watched 20 minutes of some unrelated would-be cool scenes without proper story. There is simply NO LOGIC in this setting, things are happening without any good reason and one can't get emotionally attached to those badly-written characters. The only good part was dialogue during last few secs in the restaurant. Listening to main heroine is painful as hell and her blood and hugging power saved the day. wth?

Again, I beg you, KyoAni, don't do any action or drama, you really suck at that.

How was there no logic in this setting? It's obvious you weren't even paying attention to the story, as there was a background to everything that happened in this episode. What you've wrote here clearly states you're simply hating this anime BECAUSE it's by KyoAni. /hah
Oct 24, 2013 3:05 PM
Oct 2013
Mich666 said:

do elaborate on the 'NO LOGIC' and 'without any good reason.' I found the episode pretty logical and reasonable.
Oct 24, 2013 3:11 PM

Dec 2012
Damn~!! This was a great episode. I'm falling in love with this!
Finally Mirai & Akihito are starting to understand each other...But aw she was robbed
Can't wait for more!
Oct 24, 2013 3:12 PM

Jan 2013
shit just get five times darker, love it!
Oct 24, 2013 3:13 PM
Aug 2013
yoooooooo that was tight
Oct 24, 2013 3:53 PM

Oct 2012
hershuay said:
How was there no logic in this setting? It's obvious you weren't even paying attention to the story, as there was a background to everything that happened in this episode. What you've wrote here clearly states you're simply hating this anime BECAUSE it's by KyoAni. /hah

No, I liked KyoAni but lately quality of this studio is going rapidly down (mainly in writing, graphics are still top notch). And likewise, I really don't like the people who goes blindly defending some title without admitting its flaws only because it is done by their favourte studio). I know many fanboys will disagree but before you say something try to compare KyoAni's previous animes and new ones, in terms of quality and enjoyment of course. Only Chuunibyo was kinda good but definitely not great in last year. Lately, I am facepalming almost at every their episode (be it some weird dialogue a person would never say, character quirk or simply illogical action) and that's simply something that's not acceptable. Gone is the lightness and cleverness of Haruhi, emotivity and intimacy of Clannad or comedy of K-On.

And as for this title - no, the setting is crumbling away with each new episode. Try look behind those visuals. Created world need to have some laws to obide for its viewers to believe but this one simply has none. Writers simply writes something that fits into their desired situation. Characters are using supernatural powers that could rule the world (no way the society like this would work), they are destroying its surroundings without care, main heroine's bloody rain destroys the land yet it heals main hero in the end. Story construction is cliche and weak at best with badly introduced characters and their shallow motivations. And as such, it highly unenjoyble and boring to watch.

Main character has nekomimi mother, really? Main heroine tries to kill main character all the time yet she suddenly hesitates in the moment where it matters the most. And she is afraid of killing shadows for some reason I don't get (shouldn't she rather want to kill them all when they possessed her friend and made her kill her?) She is eating too much because she is getting more iron from food and thus restoring her blood (shouldn't she rather drink and sleep instead?) One character is enjoying himself putting his palms into other people's armpits, that's just plain stupid. Main heroine had to slash two innocent trees, why oh why? (wasn't that really useless? but I realized many things are there just for the show, cause it looks really cool, right?)

And I could continue so on and on but I already devoted enough of my time to this.
Mich666Oct 24, 2013 3:59 PM
Oct 24, 2013 3:59 PM

Jan 2012
Maybe I'm a faggot, or possibly a little too drunk, but this episode was emotional for me. Probably the best yet!
Oct 24, 2013 4:52 PM

Jul 2011
Hiroomi is so hot, i want to have sex with him, licking his smooth pale body all over, awww <3
if only he has no sister complex gimmick or whatever, he would be perfect.

The episode was cool and exciting, the writing is still BAD tho', but well i don't give a fuck about that anymore.

Character & Story 1/10
Enjoyment this episode 10/10

Thank God I'm not that smart, because i can't see smart people enjoying this show
milloOct 24, 2013 5:32 PM
Oct 24, 2013 5:16 PM

Mar 2012
Great episode! This anime is turning out to be pretty interesting.
Oct 24, 2013 6:10 PM

Nov 2009
Wow, what are they planning to do with that youmu stone that they stole from Mirai...
that stone should've belonged to her ( ╬ ゚,_ゝ゚)
Oct 24, 2013 6:24 PM

Nov 2012
"I love you,Onii-chan." Lmao at dat ringtone.

Sakura tripping,pretty clumsy.

Looks like I was right last week,Sakura was Yui's little sister.

Raining acid blood.

The Hollow Shadow processes Akihito,and he asks Mirai to kill him and we see a flashback of Yui doing the same thing.She's worried,but there's nothing to worry about this time cause Akihito is immortal.Looks like I was right on this too.

Dat Dreamshade Akihito,goddamn.Such a beast,taking on Hiroomi,Ayaka and Shizuku like nothing.Like the way his hair and eyes look when he's in that form btw.I'm guessing he went into one of these rampages before and that was why he kill that one person in the flashback last episode.

He came back to his senses after a hug from Mirai which was cute,even though it was very predictable.

Only 200 yen for the Hollow Shadow?Wait Izumi stole it...
Oct 24, 2013 7:13 PM

Jul 2009
Some of the OST reminded me of Hellsing OVA quite a lot. Had the same beat for a sec there or something like that.

The shadow maze was pretty random, KyoAni wants into Madoka apparently. As someone already mentioned, the little sister wasn't quite properly explained.

Stealing the gem was just an ultra bitch move. God, the girl can't even pay her rent, cut her some slack...

Quite enjoyable episode overall, no matter the writing.

But seriously though, with that much blood loss she should be dead 3 times by now. Using your blood as a weapon is a retarded power honestly.
ElectromistressOct 24, 2013 7:20 PM
Oct 24, 2013 8:39 PM

Jul 2008
The glasses-loving and sister-loving jokes feel out of place in this show. It should leave its comedy to interesting conversation direction or visual gags instead of resorting to fetish stuff. I am not against it, but it feels like the kind of jokes that would be in a dime-a-dozen harem.
Oct 24, 2013 8:51 PM
Mar 2013
Am I the only one who got Bleach vibes from this episode when Akihito was about to go berserk and was being caged?

OST on that part = Much like Invasion
Akihito = Hollow Ichigo
Ayaka = Unohana
Cage = Same abilities Orihime and Hachi had
Floating Papers = Resembles Byakuya's Bankai (Senkei)
YvenOct 24, 2013 9:04 PM
Oct 24, 2013 9:02 PM

Jan 2010
Overall, this was really enjoyable. I didn't really like the transformation, nor the head butt (including how she just walked up to him without any reaction on his part). But, there was lots of tension, lots of drama, and a few nice moments interspersed. Her answer to his question at the end was great, and the sideways glance she took was a very nice touch.

While I'm not generally a fan of secret societies in anime. They are typically handled clumsily with the kind of cheap smugness that we got a few seconds of this episode. But this show has me interested.
Oct 24, 2013 9:21 PM

May 2013
WOW WHAT AN AMAZING EPISODE

teary eyes T_T

what a fight, what a story, best of the season, 5/5
Oct 24, 2013 9:41 PM

Jul 2012
WOW, when that senpai went younki mode he is OP!!!

Great episode!!!
Oct 24, 2013 10:06 PM
Nov 2012
I'm loving this episode, I feel this is the "hooking" episode. Great action, good bit of drama, cute moments and mystery. Now I'm really into this anime.
Oct 24, 2013 10:31 PM

May 2013
Mich666 said:
hershuay said:

No, I liked KyoAni but lately quality of this studio is going rapidly down (mainly in writing, graphics are still top notch). And likewise, I really don't like the people who goes blindly defending some title without admitting its flaws only because it is done by their favourte studio). I know many fanboys will disagree but before you say something try to compare KyoAni's previous animes and new ones, in terms of quality and enjoyment of course. Only Chuunibyo was kinda good but definitely not great in last year. Lately, I am facepalming almost at every their episode (be it some weird dialogue a person would never say, character quirk or simply illogical action) and that's simply something that's not acceptable. Gone is the lightness and cleverness of Haruhi, emotivity and intimacy of Clannad or comedy of K-On.

And as for this title - no, the setting is crumbling away with each new episode. Try look behind those visuals. Created world need to have some laws to obide for its viewers to believe but this one simply has none. Writers simply writes something that fits into their desired situation. Characters are using supernatural powers that could rule the world (no way the society like this would work), they are destroying its surroundings without care, main heroine's bloody rain destroys the land yet it heals main hero in the end. Story construction is cliche and weak at best with badly introduced characters and their shallow motivations. And as such, it highly unenjoyble and boring to watch.

Main character has nekomimi mother, really? Main heroine tries to kill main character all the time yet she suddenly hesitates in the moment where it matters the most. And she is afraid of killing shadows for some reason I don't get (shouldn't she rather want to kill them all when they possessed her friend and made her kill her?) She is eating too much because she is getting more iron from food and thus restoring her blood (shouldn't she rather drink and sleep instead?) One character is enjoying himself putting his palms into other people's armpits, that's just plain stupid. Main heroine had to slash two innocent trees, why oh why? (wasn't that really useless? but I realized many things are there just for the show, cause it looks really cool, right?)

And I could continue so on and on but I already devoted enough of my time to this.

i couldnt understand your logic at all, be more open minded and rewatch it again
:)
Oct 24, 2013 11:37 PM

Jul 2008
Mich666 said:
hershuay said:

I don't see how anything beyond the animation is inherently Kyoto Animation's fault. The series is based on a light novel, so if you don't like the construction of the fictional world then you should be blaming the source material, not the animation company. If you want to blame Kyoto Animation, look to original series like Tamako Market or Munto and make your judgements.

I am not saying I disagree with any of your opinions about the show's flaws, but character quirks and plot devices are not the fault of the animation studio unless they changed something from the source material.
Oct 24, 2013 11:38 PM

Jul 2013
I would give this a 5/5 but I'll give it a 4.5/5, the story is, well, okay but still can't follow through it imo.

On the positive side, Mirai was badass in this episode defeating the Hollow Shadow and saving Akihito from turning into a rampage youmu. I think her fear of killing a youma went away, then getting a reward at the end for 200 yen XD. At least we get to see several characters with their unique powers and Mirai's past.

Oct 25, 2013 12:58 AM

Jun 2013
This is a good episode, yes.

Lol at Hiroomi's ring tone. Onii-chan daisuki. Hahaha.

I really like that ED. :D
Oct 25, 2013 1:06 AM

Feb 2013
I like this episode. I really think they're really destined for each other.
Ajunky said:
Pknoctis said:
The youmu transformation was pretty beast, but I rolled my eyes when the power of the hug transformed him back to normal.
Ikr, of all the lame cliches... *sigh*

scykei said:
Fiji said:
And I was disappointed that Mirai only got a 200-yen worth youmu.
You might not have seen the scene after the ED? It looks like someone stole it.
Indeed, Mitsuki's mom did it. She switched the hollow shadow's stone with a normal one in the confusion... but couldn't she leave at least a pricier one? talk about making a new meaning for "petty thief" XD

I think it's hiromi's older sister not his mom.
Oct 25, 2013 3:05 AM

Oct 2011
THE POWER OF LOVE SAVES THE DAY. I literally loled when that happened.
Also I didn't like it every time Mirai freakin cried. Wakes up.... cried. hahaha

And that fuckin ring tone. LLOL

Also I have a feeling this anime is gonna be one of those too short anime that could be better if there were more episodes. I feel like all these episodes so far save for a couple have been fairly rushed. Other than that it's enjoyable.
Oct 25, 2013 3:08 AM

Dec 2011
I feel like they don't explain things and follow into scenes very well.. I don't know.. So far I think it's average.. The plot is kind of predictable.. They try to be witty at the banter but don't do well at that, the dialogue and character interactions aren't that good.. And the drama and suspense fails for me..

This is just my opinion but I honestly didn't have to much expectations for the show in terms of plot or characters anyways.. I'm just watching for the animation and art and hoping everything else improves
Oct 25, 2013 5:45 AM

Aug 2012
Kuriyama was slightly annoying when she's too reluctant to stab Kanbara, but at least she saved the day with the power of her hug blood.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Oct 25, 2013 7:00 AM

Jan 2013
This episode is my favorite so far . Akihito is awesome .
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.