Forums
New
Which heroine do you prefer?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 16, 2020 6:53 PM

Aug 2014
can't vote here, both are great and perfect in own way
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Sep 19, 2020 2:26 AM
Apr 2019
Setsuna is annoying. Sorry to say, both are not any good. But that's what makes WA2 so close to my heart.
Sep 22, 2020 12:35 PM

Oct 2013
Many years ago I voted Setsuna, and I stand by that vote now too as with VN experience, she's kind of my favorite character in the story due to how complex she is.

Despite that, I will root for who the narrative does & Kazusa's the 1st one in Haruki's heart ~ their personalities also compliment each other better: He's a lecturing busy body, yet a capable one when it comes to being organized & stuff which fit her all-in personality when it comes to music, particularly piano, yet isn't all that great regarding other things in life(VN showcases this much better...). Bring 'em together and they're , as Setsuna said when was talking about a guitar & piano playing, in sync.

But I like both Kazu & Setsu a lot and gotta accept that someone, or more like everyone in this case, is gonna get hurt.
Sep 27, 2020 5:42 AM
Jul 2019
Setsuna may be the the most complex character but at the end of the day, she's just a selfish, optimistic yet manipulative woman. And no one wants that in real life. Well Kazusa is bad in her own way, but not as bad as Setsuna.
SomeGuyWithHairSep 27, 2020 9:14 AM
Sep 28, 2020 2:41 PM

Jun 2016
ManlyTear said:
Many years ago I voted Setsuna, and I stand by that vote now too as with VN experience, she's kind of my favorite character in the story due to how complex she is.
Anime onlies failed to understand Setsuna's character due to anime being vague and relying more on visual movement rather than text/monologue. They'd think she's aNnOyInG. I love how the directing the anime took makes it easy to filter people with shitty cognition and those who can not recognize a well-written character. I personally really like it that way. Maruto's beautiful narration may be lost, but the gestures and expression used to show the characters' emotions make up for it, especially for Setsuna in particular. Her motives are a bit more understandable in the VN, but I like the way the anime got its own unique charm by doing it in its own way, such as saving some important conversations to use later as a flashback.
Sep 29, 2020 9:26 AM

Oct 2013
Edocchi said:
but I like the way the anime got its own unique charm by doing it in its own way, such as saving some important conversations to use later as a flashback.

Definitely, I only went through the VN some years after the anime was out, and looked up KTE in a youtube playthrough. Before that I read some dude called mdz's summary, who did great justice to the series. Also speaking of him & a great analysis on the relationship & character dynamics, there's this reddit post.

Imma just copy it here too:

There's not quite one person at fault within the dynamics of this relationship.

Setsuna's the good girl -- that's what everybody constantly iterates. The audience thinks that she's a good girl. Haruki and Kazusa thinks that she's a good girl. Every minor character, every passerby thinks that she's a saint.

In a sense, she is. In another sense, she's absolutely the most manipulative character in the series. White Album 2's visual novel isn't the highest rated visual novel on EGS [Japanese Visual Novel rating site] without a reason.

Setsuna believes that she betrayed Kazusa. Haruki is not aware that Kazusa had kissed him first. In fact, this is an incredibly large spoiler that's only revealed in Coda. The IC in the visual novel was bereft of most of these details. The anime chose to adapt it.

Kazusa and Haruki know that they betrayed Setsuna. How much more blatant of a betrayal can there be, other than physically cheating [not to say the emotional cheating that went on prior]. What happens when someone cheats? The other party breaks off relationships, and gradually, things rebuild after being shattered.

But what occurs in this case? Setsuna absolutely does not take it out on them. In fact, she thinks that she's the guilty one. This results in Kazusa and Haruki staying in the past. They cannot get over the fact that Setsuna's such a good girl -- that they chose to betray such a good girl.

But such a good girl selfishly refuses to allow the two to move on. Haruki and Kazusa are not sociopathic, they cannot move on without guilt. Setsuna is very important to them. If they were to continue dating, they'd only hurt Setsuna further. If they were to break up, then Setsuna would not have that -- she wants the three of them to be together, she wants genuine love. She wants the impossible, and she'll aspire for the impossible. The two want to be punished, to be condemned vitriolically -- that itself will be cathartic for all parties. If it never happens, it's the same as a boiling kettle never blowing.

Setsuna in the train scene, refused to allow Haruki to further speak. Even when he did enunciate further, his blatant disloyalty, she refused to scold him. She never exploded. She never allowed the built-up anxiety, the built-up guilt to shatter. She never allowed them a cathartic moment. In a sense, she operates benevolently in that she refuses to scold her friends. In a sense, she operates absolutely selfishly, because she wants her desired ending.

Setsuna's without a doubt the most complex character within the series. Everyone calls her 'good', but she believes herself to be the absolute worst. White Album 2's realistic in that it doesn't go for the simple cop-outs. Nobody's going to commit suicide. Nobody's going to go blatantly insane.

A period of bliss is followed by a lifetime of suffering. Pleasure and love will never supersede, will never ameliorate that suffering. But, it will keep the characters going.

I was going through the VN again recently since I forgot a lot of the juicy details but took a small break. ALSO, some great news ahead:

Full translation out sometimes next year.

SomeGuyWithHair said:
Setsuna may be the the most complex character but at the end of the day, she's just a selfish, optimistic yet manipulative woman. And no one wants that in real life. Well Kazusa is bad in her own way, but not as bad as Setsuna.

Question is how much can we blame someone for confessing her own feelings even if she knew Kazusa liked Haruki & vice versa but weren't making any steps towards being together? She picked the perfect timing sure, but that's within her own right as well. She holds herself accountable for it of course, a bit too much perhaps even, IMO.

At the end of the day if she didn't join the light music club so it would've been revived, Kazusa wouldn't have either, they wouldn't have performed at the festival and those two might've not made any progress anyway. + The festival was a peak happy moment for them.

All that cannot be helped when feelings are involved. + She's actually a pretty good girlfriend.
Sep 29, 2020 12:40 PM

Jun 2016
@ManlyTear
Yeah, good analysis. CC & Coda showed more of that complexity. She’s rather passive in heroines’ route but still had some of the best moments in the game (especially in Chiaki’s route).
@SomeGuyWithHair
WA2 is a highly contentious and polarizing work where the 'user experience' is exceptionally fragile, because the moment you start to apply your own wonderful moral beliefs and dislike the characters for what they're doing from a rational point of view, WA 2 is dead to you. Love isn't rational (albeit the characters try really, really hard to be 'rational' from their point of view.) Try to keep an open mind, and try to understand the characters. They can come off as frustrating if one watches the story strictly from a third-party view rather than trying to understand each characters' sentiments. But yet again, subtle direction comes at a price, not everyone could appreciate it. As I said before, we are expected to interpret the characters through their dialogue and their expressions rather than through any monologue or narration.
Sep 29, 2020 3:01 PM

Jun 2020
Kazusa of course! But Setsuna was insanely tragic, that airport scene was killer.
Sep 29, 2020 3:05 PM

Oct 2013
Promethazine said:
Kazusa of course! But Setsuna was insanely tragic, that airport scene was killer.

Ha,ha,ha... I call it the sub-zero heart scene, because that's how mine looked like after that, lmao:

But the pain train doesn't end there...

Edocchi said:
But yet again, subtle direction comes at a price, not everyone could appreciate it. As I said before, we are expected to interpret the characters through their dialogue and their expressions rather than through any monologue or narration.

Reminds me of heart-wrenching scenes like this 😭 💔:

With the accompanying song, this thing is brutal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgHrk6qhJ3Q&ab_channel=MikeNarciso

The lyrics of the WA2 songs can also speak volumes :)

Jan 3, 2021 2:39 AM
Dec 2020
I have watched all episodes and read the VN Code summary. I love Touma, difficult to tell why, maybe because she looked so desperate without Toma. But I hate when touma left them in the anime after what she had done with Haruki. Touma will always be best one though
Dec 24, 2021 7:57 PM
Dec 2021
I am just now getting to episode 13 but this entire series I just could not like Setsuna. In I believe episode 11, Setsuna had the nerve to ask “Was I not a good enough friend.” She knows for a fact she wasn’t. She knew before had that Touma liked liked the homie, yet she still took him for herself because she is selfish. To me she is just an annoying character so that is why it is Team Touma
Dec 24, 2021 8:04 PM
Dec 2021
NakolHira said:
Setsuna is annoying. Sorry to say, both are not any good. But that's what makes WA2 so close to my heart.
I’m so glad someone can agree with me. I’m just starting ep. 13 AND THIS IS A DUB FOR TEAM TOUMA DAWG
Jan 1, 2022 7:25 AM
Dec 2013
Having played the game from the new fan translation Kazusa is pathetic. When they become adults the behavior she displays is absolutely disgusting. She is a broken disfunctional person.

Say what you will about Setsuna but at the very least she's a functional person that can properly interact with people in society.

Kazusa and Haruki's relationship would have never advanced to any point without Setsuna. Kazusa would have just kept pushing him away. That scene at the airport sums it all up. If Kazusa would have stayed she had him. Kazusa ran because that's all she can do. She's the type of person that creates her own misery then languishes over why she's so unhappy. Without her nanny, mother, or Haruki she can't even properly interact with other people. She is totally dependent on others for even basic human needs.

If anything the appeal of Kazusa last the introductory chapter and maybe closing chapter but in Coda I just don't see how someone could want a person who is about as self sufficient as a pet dog.
stone616Jan 1, 2022 7:40 AM
Jan 11, 2022 11:52 AM
Oct 2021
Setsuna.

Kazusa is just mean and rude (just to say it nicely) to people for no reason and she blamed the MC for her own faults and betrayed her best friend in the end and then flied away and left all her mess behind.
Jan 11, 2022 11:56 AM
Oct 2021
xflex12 said:
I am just now getting to episode 13 but this entire series I just could not like Setsuna. In I believe episode 11, Setsuna had the nerve to ask “Was I not a good enough friend.” She knows for a fact she wasn’t. She knew before had that Touma liked liked the homie, yet she still took him for herself because she is selfish. To me she is just an annoying character so that is why it is Team Touma

Kazusa was far worse to her and had sex with her boyfriend, now that is what I call a shitty friend. Especially one who claims you are their "best friend". Just petty.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

202 by Giolbat »»
Mar 12, 7:03 PM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2013

221 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 9, 10:50 AM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

200 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 9, 7:40 AM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Dec 7, 2013

158 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 8, 3:59 PM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Dec 28, 2013

856 by GingZ »»
Mar 1, 3:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.