Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kill la Kill
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Oct 18, 2013 4:31 PM
Jan 2013
I really liked this episode. I feel like I'm starting to get a feel for this show; at first it threw me off how silly it was, but i guess that has a certain allure to it. It's ridiculous, but at the same time it has that epic atmosphere. This is unlike any other show I've watched lol. It's definitely unique.
Oct 18, 2013 4:48 PM

Jul 2010
Oct 18, 2013 4:50 PM

Mar 2012
I have a feeling that they are purposefully making the fan-service increasingly obnoxious and out of place, in an attempt to make the viewers uncomfortable with the concept of fan-service. I don't know why, but that would explain the incredibly awkward and unflattering choices of camera angles. I could be way off the mark.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 18, 2013 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
I'm starting to have a liking for satsuki.
Oct 18, 2013 5:26 PM

May 2012
By far the best episode so far
Oct 18, 2013 5:29 PM

Sep 2012
Araby said:
I have a feeling that they are purposefully making the fan-service increasingly obnoxious and out of place, in an attempt to make the viewers uncomfortable with the concept of fan-service. I don't know why, but that would explain the incredibly awkward and unflattering choices of camera angles. I could be way off the mark.

I wish this was true, but in reality I think it just goes with the whole "over the top" theme this show has. Honestly it's pretty annoying to me, but Kill la Kill has been otherwise really awesome so I'm just tolerating it for now.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Oct 18, 2013 6:17 PM

Aug 2013
I wish they weren't fighting in those outfits. I'd like the fight a lot more if it were the case.
Oct 18, 2013 6:30 PM

Mar 2012
OGHelios said:
Araby said:
I wish this was true, but in reality I think it just goes with the whole "over the top" theme this show has. Honestly it's pretty annoying to me, but Kill la Kill has been otherwise really awesome so I'm just tolerating it for now.
Yeah, it seems that most people (including me) find it either annoying or unnecessary. Oh well. Hopefully it'll prove to serve some sort of higher purpose.
LoneWolf said:
Oct 18, 2013 6:39 PM

Jun 2010
As others have said, I feel the fan service is just so obnoxious its hurting the show.It definetly lessens my enjoyment to some extent and I'm fucking in love with this style of crazy art/ action / words. I can only hope it gets set aside for a hidden deeper story. Something I always wished FLCL would have continued so we could find out all the crazy fucking stuff they talked about.
Oct 18, 2013 6:42 PM
Apr 2012
To quote what I said in another thread:

fdsfgs said:
Honestly, the utilization of the full powers of a Kamui/Godrobe was pretty metaphorical for "You won't realize your full potential if you don't ever fully accept who you are and not be ashamed of it." I mean, it was spelled out pretty clearly in the latest episode, and IMO you'd have to be pretty blind not to see it.

Regardless, this is the first time that I've ever seen fanservice be used as a philosophical metaphor, and I can't really hate the fanservice as much after seeing said utilization.
Oct 18, 2013 6:47 PM

Mar 2012
fdsfgs said:
To quote what I said in another thread:
fdsfgs said:
Honestly, the utilization of the full powers of a Kamui/Godrobe was pretty metaphorical for "You won't realize your full potential if you don't ever fully accept who you are and not be ashamed of it." I mean, it was spelled out pretty clearly in the latest episode, and IMO you'd have to be pretty blind not to see it.

Regardless, this is the first time that I've ever seen fanservice be used as a philosophical metaphor, and I can't really hate the fanservice as much after seeing said utilization.
Eh, yeah. That's a good point, but it's not exactly deep enough to justify boobs awkwardly flopping about (for me, at least).
LoneWolf said:
Oct 18, 2013 6:49 PM

Dec 2012
I don't like fan-service as much as the next guy but people really like to bitch about it everywhere.

At the very least it served some purpose and contributed to a plot element, it also meshes well with the over the top everything.
Oct 18, 2013 6:50 PM

Jun 2010
Though really I don't mind them fighting in sexy outfits whatsoever, its just that the current ones are obnoxious is all. Leave something to the imagination.
Oct 18, 2013 6:52 PM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
I don't like fan-service as much as the next guy but people really like to bitch about it everywhere.
talking about something =/= "bitching"
LoneWolf said:
Oct 18, 2013 7:00 PM

Dec 2012
That's not talking about something, that's just complaining.

Complaining = Bitching.

It's just stupid for this anime to receive a lower rating and reception do to something as petty as fan-service.

> I can't take it seriously because of the fan-service

Nigga pls.
Oct 18, 2013 7:02 PM

Jul 2012
"I have to get even more naked" <-- This show basically lost one point from me when she said that.

Still entertaining, but it just doesn't make sense anymore. Yeah, like the others have said: The fanservice is getting old and unnecessary.
Oct 18, 2013 7:24 PM

Apr 2013
tsudecimo said:
It's just stupid for this anime to receive a lower rating and reception do to something as petty as fan-service.

mayukachan said:
"I have to get even more naked" <-- This show basically lost one point from me when she said that.

smh, what else can I say?
Powerful eyebrows.
Oct 18, 2013 7:36 PM

Dec 2010
migohunter said:
tsudecimo said:

mayukachan said:

You don't think... that the fan service itself is... so over the top that.... it might just be.....

a parody?

O.O
Oct 18, 2013 7:41 PM

Apr 2013
Legendre said:
migohunter said:
tsudecimo said:

mayukachan said:

You don't think... that the fan service itself is... so over the top that.... it might just be.....

a parody?

O.O

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah that can't possibly be it.

I would totally give this anime a 8 but the boobs ruin it for me, I'm giving it a 6.
Powerful eyebrows.
Oct 18, 2013 7:42 PM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
Petty, lol. The uniforms are an integral part of the show...

Edit: It doesn't even bother me that much, by the way (don't want you to get me wrong). I just think fan-service is a perfectly legitimate reason for someone to enjoy the show less, given how prominent it is. Not everyone enjoys multiple vagina close-ups, even if they do serve artistic purpose, and that's fine.
JoshOct 18, 2013 7:57 PM
LoneWolf said:
Oct 18, 2013 7:58 PM

Dec 2012
Rewatched a few times. Random thoughts

Satsuki running up the wall could've been animated so much cooler, they opted for CG and made it look goofy as hell

Also noticed the moment Aikuro was ready to jump in to save Ryuko revealed that he's likely among the stronger characters

Looking at Mako's face as she was poking Ryuko in her PJs. Seriously wtf?

I lol'd at this dialogue mid-fight
Ryuko: "The way you talk pisses me off!"
Satsuki: "That's totally fine with me!"
The way she talks is hilarious though

Satsuki's bare ass probably the best thing about this ep

And didn't notice that the final clash during the fight caused an implosion mid explosion, and actually pulled in the random students before blasting them away again. Dem anime physics
Oct 18, 2013 8:22 PM

Sep 2012
DarkCyclone said:
And didn't notice that the final clash during the fight caused an implosion mid explosion, and actually pulled in the random students before blasting them away again. Dem anime physics

Imaishi has the power to bend the laws of physics to his will, pretty much like Araki.
Oct 18, 2013 8:42 PM

Aug 2010
The orchestral Don't Lose Your Way, just wow, simply amazing. Who cares about the fanservice when you have action like that.
Oct 18, 2013 8:44 PM

Jan 2008
fruits_punch said:
The orchestral Don't Lose Your Way, just wow, simply amazing. Who cares about the fanservice when you have action like that.

You got 12 pages of comments with people who care.

Of course, I'm one who enjoys it, so in the end, it's a win-win for me.
Oct 18, 2013 8:49 PM

Jul 2008
I wonder how is Ryuuko going to lose starting from now seeing that her powers have grown :)
Oct 18, 2013 9:21 PM

Jan 2010
GREAT battle scenes! Really the anime was very surprised to be a shounen, it was time that he saw something (since I stopped watching One Piece).

I just hope the side of 'good' among more characters because, alone to fight everyone is half ...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Oct 18, 2013 9:32 PM

Aug 2010
You got 12 pages of comments with people who care.

Of course, I'm one who enjoys it, so in the end, it's a win-win for me.

To be honest I can sympathize cause I know people who are like 'Aw all anime is HENTAI,' and then it doesn't get taken seriously as a great show which it is. But at least the action, animation, music and story is top-notch and came with no compromise from what I seen. And that is what really matters in the end.
Oct 18, 2013 9:33 PM

Jan 2013
I wonder how many people will bitch about *fan-service* when they read Nagai Go's mangas. His works influenced this anime greatly.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Oct 18, 2013 9:48 PM

Mar 2013
It's rare to see the main villain and the main hero fight in an epic battle of absurd proportions so early in the series.
It seems like the sexier you get and the more revealing your outfit is....the stronger you get.....
Oct 18, 2013 10:04 PM

Jul 2010
That fight felt so short. It felt like it lasted only 5 minutes. And then the ED started playing and i felt so annoyed :[
Oct 18, 2013 10:27 PM

Apr 2013
I just feel like im watching a 70s/80s anime with crazy as flashy animation and transformation! god I love it!
Oct 18, 2013 10:33 PM

Dec 2009
Don't Lose Your Way >>>>> OP and ED

Also this show might best be described as Gurren Lagann + Sailor Moon

We'll see what happens with the plot, hopefully it's not going to turn into "Ryuko vs Honnouji student" every week.

I'm hoping those history lessons given by the teacher, with all these allusions to Hitler and everything have some foreshadowing or something behind it. There could be some really dark undertones to this show...
Oct 18, 2013 10:37 PM

Jul 2013
I think some of you people are trying way too hard to justify why the fan service is there in a vain hope to give meaning into things that don't have or need meaning.

It's fanservice.
It's the exact same thing as intense over the top violence in a grind film
It doesn't NEED to have a higher purpose
It's purpose is to entertain
And if that doesn't entertain you or you can't ignore it then the show is probably not for you. Similar to how if a show with constant exploding heads and guts flying everywhere doesn't entertain you then that show is probably not for you.

If you're trying to answer the question WHY to things that are purely there to entertain, be it bouncing bosoms, over the top dismemberment, explosions within explosions within explosions, giant robots throwing galaxies, main characters using their motorcycles as melee weapons, then I'm afraid you are probably in for disappointment.
Oct 18, 2013 10:48 PM
Jun 2012
DarkCyclone said:

Also noticed the moment Aikuro was ready to jump in to save Ryuko revealed that he's likely among the stronger characters

itsTriz said:

It seems like the sexier you get and the more revealing your outfit is....the stronger you get.....

Given his propensity to randomly strip, this actually makes a lot of sense!

Calling it now: when Aikuro enters the fray, it'll be with an over the top amount of manservice. :D
Oct 18, 2013 10:53 PM

Feb 2011
omegad94 said:
Damn, I... I... words I can't describe how...... marvelous this episode is. 5/5

Nice to see the information of the Goku suits and the Kamui suits and how they work on it. Oh man the fight scenes were just.... mindblowing amazing as well as the animation of it. And now she is going to fight the entire school with all her might.

I can't wait to see more of this, this probably my favorite anime of the fall season.

Same here i just finished watching EP3 and OMG! that is one of a crazy epic fight. I can see Kill la Kill is one of the best anime in 2013 now. It's a pain to wait for the next episode though :( i really can't wait what will happen next!!! We are only on EP3 and it looks like we were watching the final episode of it lol.

invazn said:
Don't Lose Your Way >>>>> OP and ED

You can say that again :P Epic fights need Epic songs
Oct 18, 2013 11:05 PM
Jun 2009
Awesome episode again! This series just gets better and better in every episode. Putting the fan service aside, the story and characters are very straightforward, just the way I like it :)
Oct 19, 2013 12:07 AM
Oct 2010
Dunno if anyone else here watches Gundam unicorn but did anyone notice the similarities between the song that play as 22:14 and the track Audrey from MSGU?

http://youtu.be/eArGVXdutHI

scroll to 50.
Oct 19, 2013 12:18 AM

Nov 2012
this is 15/5 that fighting...so intense to the state I was sweating all over. I don't care about fan service anymore. Let's get rockin' !!
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Oct 19, 2013 1:29 AM

Oct 2008
OMG! Episode 3 is excellently awesome!!!

Oct 19, 2013 2:05 AM

Sep 2011
I wonder how many KLK ep will be cause this is movie fast storytelling.

Btw 5/5 so many old actions anime parody with awsome action battle!
Oct 19, 2013 3:23 AM

Jul 2008
Hope Ryuuko beats up her father's killer and get the other half of the scissor blade :D Then she can use it as a double blade weapon or even a full scissor :)
Oct 19, 2013 3:25 AM

Aug 2008
Shuhan said:
The OST is amazing, really adds to the action, as does the fanservice.

Yeah, I realty think so. But the fights are as amusing as they're epic as well. Like, the One Stars getting blasted around like leaves by the shock-waves, the fanservice all round, and the general over-dramatization. Pretty good combo.
Oct 19, 2013 3:26 AM

May 2011
I still have to laugh at the combination of the rough art and extreme fanservice, it ends up looking so unusual that it's just pure win.

Loved the action in this episode - and it looks like we're finally going for the setup of Ryuuko fighting her way through the school to the top. Can't wait to see how that goes. Needless to say, I'm hooked!
Oct 19, 2013 3:57 AM

May 2013
Best Episode 3 of all time

Its like the Ending
Everyone was Flying and boom everywhere that was so awesome
Oct 19, 2013 7:19 AM

Jul 2010
skudoops said:
Dunno if anyone else here watches Gundam unicorn but did anyone notice the similarities between the song that play as 22:14 and the track Audrey from MSGU?

http://youtu.be/eArGVXdutHI

scroll to 50.

It's Hiroyuki Sawano's style. He remix old works of his for his new projects and sometimes, they really look alike.
Oct 19, 2013 7:45 AM
Aug 2013
While the "plot" so far wasn't exactly to my liking, I'm quite able to appreciate some fast-paced, epic action scenes once in a while, and that show certainly is providing in that field.

Yet, if that's supposed to be one of it's main selling points, why does it feels the need to shove naughty bits in my face during every single fight? As it, you know, kinda distract me from the epic fight going on ? I mean, if the show absolutely needed all that stuff for whatever reason I can't quite understand, why didn't they put it in those scarce moments things slow down a little and characters stop jumping, kicking and slicing everywhere?

And don't give me that "fan-service is plot-related and has a deep meaning" explanation that's floating around, has it really isn't one (an explanation, I mean). They may have chosen to build parts of the plot to justify it, which may or may not be a commendable effort depending on which side of the fence you are looking, but it's quite obvious the show most certainly could have done without it, or with it being put elsewhere.

So, yeah: why the fan service, and, perhaps more importantly, why the fan service in the middle of the fighting scenes?

I... just don't quite get the idea behind that one decision.

Edit: replaced the terms previously used by "naughty bits", as I'm not sure just how far they stand on the uncourteousness scale in english (not my native tongue).
MahatOct 19, 2013 7:51 AM
Oct 19, 2013 9:17 AM

Dec 2010
Phew, I somehow got through to the third episode. But as I expected I will drop it here. This show is just bad.
Oct 19, 2013 9:46 AM

Jan 2008
I'm just wondering if these life fibers and godrobes have any other purpose. Like how Ganmen were actually robots to fight the anti-spiral.
Oct 19, 2013 11:04 AM
Apr 2010
Mahat said:
While the "plot" so far wasn't exactly to my liking, I'm quite able to appreciate some fast-paced, epic action scenes once in a while, and that show certainly is providing in that field.

Yet, if that's supposed to be one of it's main selling points, why does it feels the need to shove naughty bits in my face during every single fight? As it, you know, kinda distract me from the epic fight going on ? I mean, if the show absolutely needed all that stuff for whatever reason I can't quite understand, why didn't they put it in those scarce moments things slow down a little and characters stop jumping, kicking and slicing everywhere?

And don't give me that "fan-service is plot-related and has a deep meaning" explanation that's floating around, has it really isn't one (an explanation, I mean). They may have chosen to build parts of the plot to justify it, which may or may not be a commendable effort depending on which side of the fence you are looking, but it's quite obvious the show most certainly could have done without it, or with it being put elsewhere.

So, yeah: why the fan service, and, perhaps more importantly, why the fan service in the middle of the fighting scenes?

I... just don't quite get the idea behind that one decision.

Edit: replaced the terms previously used by "naughty bits", as I'm not sure just how far they stand on the uncourteousness scale in english (not my native tongue).

Even though the uniforms true form is embarrasing, they know how to use the fanservice in a way that doesn't get in the way of the action. They focus in a lot on the upper body and faces. Satsuki doesn't lose a step or shred of dignity even wearing that, her hair even gets in the way of fanservice in a few shots. Their stances at a point even cover the fanservice. Any fanservice during the fights ends up being pretty much accidental. It's not like Najica, for example, where 90% of the angles, even during action scenes, only show panties.

I might not like the fanservice as far as the rest of the episode and the show itself are concerned, which is what's stopping me from really loving this, but when it comes to action, they have their priorities straight. As to why they decided to make the battle uniforms like that however, I suppose it's just the result of taking this genre and dialing everything beyond eleven.
Oct 19, 2013 11:09 AM

Aug 2012
that was one of the most awesome battles i've ever seen, pretty great combo of fanservice, epic music & actions. Ryuuko & Satsuki, both are badasses to the core.

p.s

i'm waiting for the doujin

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Mar 27, 2014

956 by hopeforbetterai »»
Apr 30, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

393 by hopeforbetterai »»
Apr 30, 5:29 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2013

368 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:39 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

878 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Feb 27, 2014

407 by DRUG_Deleted911 »»
Apr 13, 11:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.