Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 14, 2013 9:18 PM

Jul 2012
So far the naval battles are up to par but I'm still worried about this going the anime original route. The subtle (sometimes not-so-subtle) political manoeuvrings and conspiracies are nowhere to be found so far. It would really be a shame not to include it in this adaptation since it's one of the factors which elevate "Blue Steel" from other shows of its type. And no it doesn't turn into full blown harem although there is romantic tension going on. Chihaya Gunzou (at least in the manga) only has room for one particular lady in his heart. Takaos crush is just played for comedic purposes. But damn she's hot. I just hope they really don't downplay the human perspective in this adaptation. As for Gunzous lack of expression if some of you read the manga the differences are really obvious.
Oct 14, 2013 9:38 PM

Dec 2008
My only issue with this series is that it's only twelve episodes long.

Hopefully we can fit it in some quality development for some of the characters but I suppose that's what the source material is for if I'm looking for supplementary information.

...at the risk of getting flamed, I'm slightly confused concerning a handful of people's problem with the animation. Sure it isn't perfect but it's definitely not amongst the worst ever conceived and I personally don't mind it. Then again, to be fair, I think this might be my favorite series of the season so far so I suppose I am biased.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Oct 14, 2013 10:13 PM

Jul 2009
this show is prettygood. i dont mind the CG too much. it could be better if it was traditionally animated but oh well. takao is pretty.
Oct 14, 2013 10:27 PM

May 2013
That was a good fight.
Oct 14, 2013 10:30 PM

Aug 2013
Better than the first episode, will continue watching. Off to read the manga!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 14, 2013 10:36 PM

Dec 2007
HitoriTomoyo said:
My only issue with this series is that it's only twelve episodes long.

Hopefully we can fit it in some quality development for some of the characters but I suppose that's what the source material is for if I'm looking for supplementary information.

...at the risk of getting flamed, I'm slightly confused concerning a handful of people's problem with the animation. Sure it isn't perfect but it's definitely not amongst the worst ever conceived and I personally don't mind it. Then again, to be fair, I think this might be my favorite series of the season so far so I suppose I am biased.
Actually, there's not a whole lot more in the manga up until this point. In fact, the entire school bit in the first episode was expanding on the manga! Truth be told, the story looks like it's just getting started, and almost all of the character development has been in political figures and fog warships, especially Haruna and Takao.
Oct 14, 2013 10:42 PM

Dec 2010
Good second episode, much better than the first. I have no problems at all with the CGI/animation, I quite enjoy it. The character designs are interesting too.

<3 the fleet
Oct 14, 2013 11:01 PM

Sep 2013
Getting to be better with naval battle scenes, although for the character development parts the crews beside Iona and Gunzou is severely lacking. Then we've Takao, having more screen time in this episode than the crews of I401 and we're already knowing Takao a little more than the crews background.

Hopefully it won't be a battleship harem but then again hearing from the rest who have read the manga, I won't be putting much onto my expectations. 8/10

*And stop complaining about the CGI man.. if you just cared about the CGI in the first place, please drop it. The next 10 episodes will be still using this CGI.
-

I've always... always been watching you... This whole time... Because you were there... That's why I was able to try hard. So you could have some balance! So you wouldn't treat me like a kid! So you would see me as an actual girl! Even while you were gone... You were right here! You were right here in my heart!
Oct 14, 2013 11:08 PM

Jan 2010
A bit better than the first one. It looks like they are trying to make another anime like Code Geass. MC is like Lelouch and Iona's like C.C. It would be good if they succeed, of course, but i'm kind of uncertain that they really will pull it out.
Oct 14, 2013 11:15 PM

Jul 2012
delulytric said:
Getting to be better with naval battle scenes, although for the character development parts the crews beside Iona and Gunzou is severely lacking. Then we've Takao, having more screen time in this episode than the crews of I401 and we're already knowing Takao a little more than the crews background.

Hopefully it won't be a battleship harem but then again hearing from the rest who have read the manga, I won't be putting much onto my expectations. 8/10

*And stop complaining about the CGI man.. if you just cared about the CGI in the first place, please drop it. The next 10 episodes will be still using this CGI.

It's not exactly a harem. Gunzou has a few ladies gunning for him in the manga but one of them (Maruri) is unrequited and the other one (Takao) is played for comedic relief. Gunzou actually suffers from a bit of unrequited love himself. And it gets even more complicated w/c I wont elaborate upon since it's a major spoil and I'm not to sure if she will be featured in this adaptation at all. The other Fog ladies don't fall for him at all but they do learn to interact and value human friendships. It just doesn't center on Gunzou alone.
Oct 14, 2013 11:18 PM

Apr 2008
^ one of them could even have a spinoff side story adaptation if the writer decided to have Arpeggio focusing on the blue fleet.
delulytric said:
Actually, so far in the manga (which like Erwin mentioned, nothing much), there's no battleship harem.

Takao is the only ship that show she wants Gunzou.
The other ships got their own business and Iona is just part of the merry party rather than showing any romantic relationship to the captain.
Oct 14, 2013 11:22 PM

Sep 2013
Ah that's a great relief! I'm getting sick of watching animes which has harem (Not to say I hate it, but I just don't like when my currently watching anime has the harem sticker placed everywhere.)
-

I've always... always been watching you... This whole time... Because you were there... That's why I was able to try hard. So you could have some balance! So you wouldn't treat me like a kid! So you would see me as an actual girl! Even while you were gone... You were right here! You were right here in my heart!
Oct 14, 2013 11:24 PM

May 2010
The action is getting better but I think they talk a little bit too much
Oct 14, 2013 11:35 PM
Dec 2012
Decent episode. I like the female lead. Her opponent is also cute rather than obnoxious.

The series is enjoyable so far. But since I have watched the much more impressive anime Chinmoku no Kantai in terms of submarine battle/strategy and tense feelings, this show feels a bit bland. That said, I like the show cuz it's not so heavy.
Oct 14, 2013 11:43 PM

May 2013
nice op and ed, intense episode

easily second best of this fall anime after kyouto kanata

5/5
Oct 15, 2013 12:33 AM

Dec 2007
delulytric said:

Actually, Gunzou himself hasn't had that much "screen" time thus far, and we've learned more about his character from what others have said than from his own actions and words. So even the two characters shown to have feelings for him have had very little actual interaction displayed. Except for a brief interaction with Takao, you will almost certainly not see much typical harem fanservicing.

To date, only four ships have gone "dere," and none of them have done so over the same character. A fifth ship already had a close relationship with another vessel. Of the remainder, none show any overt signs, either or in character or foreshadowing, of future romantic interest. There is one that will likely join Gunzou, but may or may not develop feelings, and several wild cards we don't know enough about.

For the record, the human who has feelings for Gunzou should appear in the next episode.
Oct 15, 2013 1:03 AM

Aug 2008
The fights are cool. I've always loved battles with crafts/ships like that, is one of my favorite things I like about sci-fi.
I wonder when they're gonna do some backstory in how the crew came together. They obviously knew each othe while on school, but it would be nice to get to see it.

On that note, the CGI animation style can grow on me. They're still a bit stiff, but the quality is decent enough.
I've got no complaints in the battles, which more than makes up for anything.
Iolo said:
And Takao falls in love with a mere human?

Correction, with a Captain. I guess an AI of a ship can also have a tender side.

Oct 15, 2013 1:09 AM

Feb 2012
Genix said:

Correction, with a Captain. I guess an AI of a ship can also have a tender side.

Mind me telling who the captain was?

Please put in some spoiler tags :) Thanks.
Oct 15, 2013 1:11 AM

Apr 2008
pizza_012 said:
Genix said:

Mind me telling who the captain was?

Please put in some spoiler tags :) Thanks.

It's Gunzou duh
Oct 15, 2013 1:13 AM

Feb 2012
Darklight0303 said:

It's Gunzou duh

I just want to make it sure, and so it was. Haha. Thanks Anyway.
Oct 15, 2013 1:14 AM

Apr 2008
pizza_012 said:
Darklight0303 said:

It's Gunzou duh

I just want to make it sure, and so it was. Haha. Thanks Anyway.

She pretty much blushed and said she wants him :P can't get any more blatant than that :P
Oct 15, 2013 1:18 AM

Feb 2012
Darklight0303 said:

She pretty much blushed and said she wants him :P can't get any more blatant than that :P

lol I was really sleepy when i attempted to watch this so i didn't notice any of the details implying her desire for him lol sorry for that.

And as for knowing that, I am pretty much happy for the outcome of the romance/pairings or whatever legit romances the series is in.
Oct 15, 2013 1:40 AM

Jan 2013
Not bad, I liked it.
Oct 15, 2013 4:48 AM

Dec 2011
So episode 1 looked like it was going to be a Strike Witches clone, episode 2 looks like it's going to turn into the weirdest harem ever. What next?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 15, 2013 6:52 AM

May 2011
Why only 12 episodes? :(
Oct 15, 2013 7:31 AM

Feb 2013
This episode kind of went down for me. It's not so bad that most of these fights looks like cutscenes from late 90s, early 2000s video games, spliced with watered down scenes from Hunt for Red October only with bigger weapons.

I don't know why, but I didn't expect this to be bordering on a harem anime. So, is Gunzou going to win over all these emotional female archetype vessels and amass himself a fleet. It became really shallow for me in that the only reason he let that ship live was because he saw that it's mental model was a cute girl. The thing was male, or no model at all, he wouldn't have thought twice about blowing it up.

I'm seeing how this goes, but this was disappointing.
Oct 15, 2013 7:39 AM

Apr 2012
I see people saying that the part where's it's 2D animated is better than the CGI, but the only part that is like that is in the OP! You can't seriously say that what little was shown in there is better than the episode itself!

I'm liking the CGI myself, and the flashy battles are awesome.
"Rejoice! We are humans— we are the most talented people! Precisely because we were born without any ability— we can achieve anything— this is the will of the weakest race!" – Sora, ‘No game No life Vol.01’
Oct 15, 2013 8:18 AM
Jul 2012
na35899 said:
nice op and ed, intense episode

easily second best of this fall anime after kyouto kanata

5/5

Definitely agree with you there.

I hope we can get to see some character development soon. Like how Gunzou's friends at the Naval Academy became his crew. Another flashback scene would do wonders.
Oct 15, 2013 9:06 AM

Oct 2013
A battleship that can transform? thats awesome xD
Oct 15, 2013 9:07 AM
Oct 2012
Aquarius215 said:
I hope we can get to see some character development soon. Like how Gunzou's friends at the Naval Academy became his crew. Another flashback scene would do wonders.

That has to be coming soon, if not even next episode. They have to also explain how 401 got the Super Gravity cannon from the Hyuuga, which probably means they have to explain how the Hyuuga was sunk to begin with (though perhaps not, there was an actual battleship called the Hyuuga whose crew ran her aground to prevent her from being sunk, and then the ship was raised and scrapped the following year - perhaps Fog Hyuuga suffered a similar fate). My guess is that what happened to the Hyuuga took place during the final UN battle and the father had something to do with it, but we will see.

So lots of back fill coming in, which will give them a good chance to develop the characters, though I am not sure how much of that is going to take place.
Oct 15, 2013 9:18 AM
Jun 2009
Really? All the main character did is pulling an ass-pull when he predicted the shot from Takao. His crew asked him how did he know and he just changed the subject. Of course, he cant just say "I read the script" or "I am actually a newtype". Tactics? Strategy? Lol, the battle should be over with that shot. It's really lame when the writer want to make his character intelligent and smart but all he can do is writing ass-pulling stuff.
Oct 15, 2013 9:26 AM

Apr 2008
soluuloi said:
Really? All the main character did is pulling an ass-pull when he predicted the shot from Takao. His crew asked him how did he know and he just changed the subject. Of course, he cant just say "I read the script" or "I am actually a newtype". Tactics? Strategy? Lol, the battle should be over with that shot. It's really lame when the writer want to make his character intelligent and smart but all he can do is writing ass-pulling stuff.

Commanders also have this nifty little thing called INSTINCT. Or reading the various hints. You just want to find something to hate and are grasping at straws.
Oct 15, 2013 9:42 AM
Jun 2009
Darklight0303 said:

Commanders also have this nifty little thing called INSTINCT. Or reading the various hints. You just want to find something to hate and are grasping at straws.

First, saying instinct is just as same as saying that he is lucky. It's like you play Yugioh and you guess the set card on your opponents field right. It's pure luck, nothing else. Second, what hints did he got? Show me?
Oct 15, 2013 9:46 AM

Apr 2008
What hints? Watch the bloody episode again. Takao was ALWAYS facing their way and her range was larger than the specs of her design. Then the fact that there was no other noise meant something had to be hiding in the wake of Takao. You don't have to be clairvoyant to put those hints together. That's what captains and commanders do.
Oct 15, 2013 10:46 AM
Dec 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
Aquarius215 said:

That has to be coming soon, if not even next episode. They have to also explain how 401 got the Super Gravity cannon from the Hyuuga, which probably means they have to explain how the Hyuuga was sunk to begin with (though perhaps not, there was an actual battleship called the Hyuuga whose crew ran her aground to prevent her from being sunk, and then the ship was raised and scrapped the following year - perhaps Fog Hyuuga suffered a similar fate).

Don't put much hope on it,because manga still not explained these(yet,i hope),just talked one time how they beat Hyuuga,but no flashback in manga(again,yet i hope),though i think anime will have flashback to make whole vs Hyuuga battle
Oct 15, 2013 1:20 PM

Jun 2013
Very Nice Episode....And it started Now...XD Takato's Non violent Tsundere love/want for Chihaya!!! X)

I Seriously Like Takato, Her style for Learning about Humans, her acting sometimes like light-hearten comedy sket, Her Tsundere Love, Everything about her IS SO cool, Nice, Cute and Funny!!!!
ABSOLUTELY One the Best Characters entire Series....

Openly admit never been so scared in this series, than when She was fighting "That Fight"

Love to see Series that Follows Manga closely... not that much fan of changing the good Stories
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Oct 15, 2013 2:26 PM
Jan 2008
Somehow the show reminds me of the game Super Robot Wars. In the game you can often fight the enemy, trigger some flags and then some enemies will join you.
Oct 15, 2013 4:07 PM
Jul 2012
Darklight0303 said:
What hints? Watch the bloody episode again. Takao was ALWAYS facing their way and her range was larger than the specs of her design. Then the fact that there was no other noise meant something had to be hiding in the wake of Takao. You don't have to be clairvoyant to put those hints together. That's what captains and commanders do.

^I agree with you and your mention of instinct, Darklight, 100%

Closed-minded people who can't grasp a speck of strategy or tactics, like certain people in this forum, wouldn't last a second in any kind of battle.
Oct 15, 2013 4:13 PM
Mar 2013
Takao going all dere-dere for Gunzou. I get the feeling she'll join them.
Oct 15, 2013 6:12 PM

Jul 2012
Irenesharda said:
This episode kind of went down for me. It's not so bad that most of these fights looks like cutscenes from late 90s, early 2000s video games, spliced with watered down scenes from Hunt for Red October only with bigger weapons.

I don't know why, but I didn't expect this to be bordering on a harem anime. So, is Gunzou going to win over all these emotional female archetype vessels and amass himself a fleet. It became really shallow for me in that the only reason he let that ship live was because he saw that it's mental model was a cute girl. The thing was male, or no model at all, he wouldn't have thought twice about blowing it up.

I'm seeing how this goes, but this was disappointing.

No he would've spared her even if she was male. He sees her as a sentient being and not a weapon and that's why he hesitated. I see you're worried about the harem thing. Let me assuage your fears then. There is NO harem. At least as far as the manga is concerned.

Oct 15, 2013 6:48 PM

Feb 2012
The episode was good, but the surprise derp gun killed it for me. This series feels a lot less interesting knowing Submarine 401 has a weapon that most likely could instantly kill any opponent.
Oct 15, 2013 7:00 PM

Apr 2008
Phaetons_Folly said:
The episode was good, but the surprise derp gun killed it for me. This series feels a lot less interesting knowing Submarine 401 has a weapon that most likely could instantly kill any opponent.

LOL you really think that's going to be the case? There's always a BIGGER GUN
Oct 15, 2013 7:19 PM
Oct 2012
Aquarius215 said:
Closed-minded people who can't grasp a speck of strategy or tactics, like certain people in this forum, wouldn't last a second in any kind of battle.

Ah, if they were only closed minded there would be hope, but the issue isn't that they are closed minded it is rather that they are too stupid to know they are stupid.

If I was of mind I could probably point out 10-20 things wrong about this episode, but our complaining picked the one thing that this show went to some great lengths to explain. The poster, far from having a closed mind, just didn't get it, and in not getting it shows that he or she is merely an imbecile incapable of following dialogue. You can't cure stupidity as you can ignorance or even intolerance.

Soluuloi - as the show explained the MC figured out that Takao had the means to destroy them not only because she always faced the ship in their direction but also because she did at such an extreme distance that 1) there had to be some sort of sonar device tracking them, and 2) she had a weapon that could reach that distance (if she didn't she would have let them approach closer without exposing that she knew where they were.. This was explained when they did the overlay of a Battleship range and they showed that Takao had found them out at a distance that exceeded this distance even though she was only a heavy cruiser.

So no it wasn't an "ass-pulll", in fact it was the very opposite: it was explained. That is what raised this show in most people's opinion.
Oct 15, 2013 8:22 PM
Nov 2010
Was never overly impressed by the manga. Just here for the space battleships in water with female avatars.
Oct 15, 2013 11:33 PM

Dec 2007
Darklight0303 said:
Phaetons_Folly said:

LOL you really think that's going to be the case? There's always a BIGGER GUN
Yes. just keep watching. The weapon is not something they get to use much - they got off a shot this time based on it being unexpected. It's also not going to be enough against the stronger battleships. Remember, this was just a heavy cruiser. A good one, but still a heavy cruiser.

D-Joe said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Aquarius215 said:

That has to be coming soon, if not even next episode. They have to also explain how 401 got the Super Gravity cannon from the Hyuuga, which probably means they have to explain how the Hyuuga was sunk to begin with (though perhaps not, there was an actual battleship called the Hyuuga whose crew ran her aground to prevent her from being sunk, and then the ship was raised and scrapped the following year - perhaps Fog Hyuuga suffered a similar fate).

Don't put much hope on it,because manga still not explained these(yet,i hope),just talked one time how they beat Hyuuga,but no flashback in manga(again,yet i hope),though i think anime will have flashback to make whole vs Hyuuga battle

They do explain how they salvaged and equipped the gun from the Hyuuga . . . well, kind of. The manga has only said two things about the fight between 401 and Hyuuga. Enough to get an idea of what happened, but not enough to satisfy. What happened afterwards is also not explicitly stated, but made patently obvious. There is a reason.
Oct 15, 2013 11:39 PM

Nov 2012
Darklight0303 said:
Fiji said:
That was an awesome naval battle, although I think most battles like will always end with, the bigger the arms you have, the more bigger you blow things up and you will win. Especially with that supergravitational cannon.

No problems with CG, but I can see people are so turned off by it since they are not used to 3D type animation.

Next battle should prove you wrong if they follow the manga for that part properly :p

^ Indeed. That mini-arc was baws from start to finish.

I find it convenient that although most of the characters are drawn in CG, they don't have action scenes of their own, or rather having to move and fight like shounen MCs, and that's what sets them apart from those anime that also use CG heavily. We don't have to see them posing in fighting stances in CG, or fistfighting or w/e for that matter, which would be seen as awkward for some. They let the ships do the 'kicking' and firing, and it was really awesome to see.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Oct 16, 2013 2:14 AM

Dec 2008
Just my input concerning the derpgun that they have.

Sure it's busted but it has its limits on the I-401; Gunzo took a bet and it paid off mostly due to the surprise factor. That and the fact that they had to pull it out THIS early only means that the rest of the Fog Fleet knows about it now, at least outside of the main antagonist (I'm assuming she already knew about that). That and even if they still didn't know about it, I'm fairly certain their future opponents that they'll run into will more derp to varying degrees.

Which is kind of scary. Especially if that sadistic loli is taken into consideration (though I admit looking forward to seeing what she can do arguably the most).
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Oct 16, 2013 3:39 AM
Aug 2011
So, Klein Field's work was returned to manga-way. It would be nice if first episode will be fixed in blu-ray.
Oct 16, 2013 5:32 AM

Aug 2012
no complaints here, i found this series truly enjoyable.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Oct 16, 2013 5:52 AM

Nov 2010
Impressive naval battle
I'm still gasping from it also from Takao :3
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

127 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

109 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 15, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

196 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 14, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Elite60 - Oct 7, 2013

242 by Ashhk »»
Aug 27, 2020 6:34 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2013

124 by djharvey »»
Jun 13, 2020 5:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.