Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 16, 2013 10:16 AM

Jun 2013
The episode was decent but I can't get use with the C.G. yet. Few more episodes or first drop of the season.
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Oct 16, 2013 1:22 PM

Mar 2012
I not usually a manga reader preferably i just want to watch an anime series but with these 2 episodes it got me hooked actually start reading the manga and from the chapters i have read already this series is awesome

Regardless of the CGI if they keep adapting the storyline for this anime as it is in the manga it would be great if not and it goes into its own story ( which i hope it does not) it at least manage to convince me to start reading which not many series have made me do so, this is my third manga series i have ever started.

So there.

It's a shame that the CGI is pulling a lot of people out because it is a good series and the action is great

I love a naval submarine combat anime but they are so rare u never see them
Oct 16, 2013 3:04 PM

Jun 2012
Pretty cool, although the first few minutes were just a lot of talking. That CG was refreshing for about one episode, as I'm already starting to dislike it and imagine how much better it would have looked normally.

Oct 16, 2013 3:22 PM

Nov 2009
Read ahead in the manga since i got more interested about these ships of the fog's betrayals... and I gotta say, the story is really interesting so far there. :3
Oct 16, 2013 8:21 PM

Dec 2007
MagicFlier said:
Read ahead in the manga since i got more interested about these ships of the fog's betrayals... and I gotta say, the story is really interesting so far there. :3
It really is one of those interesting things, and really endeared the manga to me. Based on the premise, you'd expect a robo-harem with some action. Instead, you get a surprisingly well thought out military and political thriller. Go figure.
Oct 16, 2013 8:47 PM

Apr 2011
Barion-Zara said:
Loved it!

Seems like I've already gotten used to the CG. I expected it'll take me a few more eps but it wasn't that bad this ep.

Loved Takao. She's Hot! and cute (when she blushed) And it seems she joins the harem? XD She did say she wants that unit (Gunzou) XD

Anyway really nice battle. The strategies and animation was awesome. Gunzou is friggin BA. He looked like a BOSS when he was standing with Iona in front of Takao after defeating her ^^

I can't wait to see all the fog members. All of them seem pretty unique in the OP&ED. Their character design looks pretty too :)

my thoughts exactly. I hope we can get more battles like this. Im really starting to like this show.
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Oct 17, 2013 6:55 AM

Feb 2013
I want Hyuuga's episode.
She is not ordinary battleship but battlecarrier.
Oct 17, 2013 7:40 AM

Sep 2012
From feedback I read in Japanese forums, the complaints are mainly on the character CG but there are also many people giving praise to how much character CG has improved as shown by this anime. I think those who really cannot get used to the CG will have dropped by now, and for many once they get used to it the action and story look decent. Since many find the CG ship girls like Iona and Takao really moe, I guess we should chalk it up as an achievement on CGI front.

And I love how the ED connects all the ship girls...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 17, 2013 7:42 AM

Jun 2011
This episode is indeed super epic! I love that battleships battle, and that strategy, though I can't fully understand everything.

I wtf'ed at the end, please don't fuucking turn this into a harem. Damn I prefer Chihaya Gunzou to have only those few crewmates, and no ally, for now at least. Those Fog's battleships are no joke.

It was epic from the start to when the battle ended, after that the little tea party was really.. well.. just for fanservice -.- I also don't like how they draw the 501 Mental Model's pinky lips and boobies outline, gahh too much fanservices!!

P.S. I have nothing against fanservices, but it's not suitable for these kind of scenario!!

This episode is indeed better than the previous one, and hopefully they keep this up ^^ Freakin love the crew already.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 17, 2013 9:21 AM

Mar 2012
Natsu12345 said:
This episode is indeed super epic! I love that battleships battle, and that strategy, though I can't fully understand everything.

I wtf'ed at the end, please don't fuucking turn this into a harem. Damn I prefer Chihaya Gunzou to have only those few crewmates, and no ally, for now at least. Those Fog's battleships are no joke.

It was epic from the start to when the battle ended, after that the little tea party was really.. well.. just for fanservice -.- I also don't like how they draw the 501 Mental Model's pinky lips and boobies outline, gahh too much fanservices!!

P.S. I have nothing against fanservices, but it's not suitable for these kind of scenario!!

This episode is indeed better than the previous one, and hopefully they keep this up ^^ Freakin love the crew already.

you dont have to worry about it this is not going to be a harem , its not going to be that route, this is mostly going tactical and warfare combat
Oct 17, 2013 9:46 AM

Sep 2012
Iona (to Gunzou): RIDE ME. ;-p
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 18, 2013 1:38 AM

Apr 2011
DAT Tsundere heavy cruiser.
Oct 18, 2013 6:26 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

If the battle lasted a little more would have been an epic episode, so today I call epic in the middle! XD
Very simple plot, the good guys trying to make the soles of shoes to bad! Get it? I was clear! ASD
Interesting narrative, there is a lot of preparation, this is a sign of seriousness, galvanizes you, too bad Takao chapters soon. Ah ~! The ship tsundere already goes on ...! Yes you read right, it will be strange, but for me it's the first time I see a ship tsundere! XD
Too bad the character she is cambinando so quickly, I would have preferred a slow passage! So it runs too! D:
Animations better than before! Comedy cute!
Come on, a 5/5 for inicitare the authors to do better! : D
Oct 18, 2013 10:22 AM

May 2012
That supergravity canon! But I am more amazed with Takao's naval weapons. The cgi still takes time to be used to for the character design but it looks pretty good with the cruiser's transformations and the weapons.
Oct 18, 2013 10:57 AM

Jan 2008
The navel combat will keep me coming back for more. I like it when they spend the time to think things out and strategize. Hopefully this will have a little spark and turn out like starship operators. If not, a ship girl harem is fine too.
Oct 19, 2013 11:54 AM

Jul 2010
I don't know you, but I'm getting already used to the CGI, the fights were really well-made, also they were pretty brilliant. I just hope Takao (Best girl), will ally with the MC and there he starts to make his own harem of ships.
I just need now to know a little background on the characters to sympathize with them, because they don't say me anything right now.

OP pretty good, OST fabulous. Can't wait for the album.
Oct 19, 2013 5:16 PM

Jun 2012
Do I smell a harem in the making? lol
Oct 19, 2013 5:17 PM

Apr 2008
Czechbiohazard said:
Do I smell a harem in the making? lol

You'd think so but it ain't happenin
Oct 19, 2013 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
Enjoyed the battle, it was pretty entertaining. Nice to see some naval combat in anime, although that CGI wasn't the greatest thing on Earth. I have seen worse though, so it's a minor issue (to me at least). LOVED that ED though.
Oct 19, 2013 6:21 PM

Feb 2013
Cute ED.

Barion-Zara said:
Loved Takao. She's Hot! and cute (when she blushed)
Awe! http://i44.tinypic.com/dqqcxx.jpg <- that CG does not look bad at all

I really enjoyed this episode. I hope the future battles continue at this level of excitement. This anime is turning out to be one of my favorites this season.
Oct 19, 2013 8:22 PM

Apr 2009
Figuring out an observation submarine supporting and very close in proximity to Takao was a brilliant deduction from Gunzou! I was wondering what 501 looks like as an anthropomorphic character but she got destroyed and we're probably not gonna see her anymore.

Anyway I was wondering since last episode what the German text in 401's hull was so I googled it. It seems to be lines from the poem "Sprüche des Konfucius" (Sayings of Confucius) by Friedrich von Schiller:

Dreifach ist der Schritt der Zeit
Zögernd kommt die Zukunft hergezogen,
Pfeilschnell ist das Jetzt entflogen
Ewig still steht die Vergangenheit.

I found an English translation which I liked and itself a citation in another book, A Mind Always in Motion: The Autobiography of Emilio Segrè. The footnote indicates the translation is from Poems of Schiller by John D. Williams;

Threefold is the march of time:
While the future slow advances,
Like a dart the present glances,
Silent stands the past sublime.[sic]
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 20, 2013 12:59 AM
Jan 2013
Have a feeling this might turn out to be a harem type anime or something like it, great episode!
Oct 20, 2013 6:31 AM

Apr 2011
Marce2012 said:
Have a feeling this might turn out to be a harem type anime or something like it, great episode!

It doesn't look it will turn out that way, but it would make a good setting for a harem. The mental models are all females, so there's a possibility he'll unknowingly steal their hearts and side with him.

In the future, I hope other fog would side with Gunzou. He's gonna need allies, or a fleet with him. Its' almost impossible to fight them with I-401 alone since he'll find enemies in both the fog and human sides.
Oct 20, 2013 9:34 AM

Mar 2012
Oct 20, 2013 2:39 PM
Oct 2011
-ShadowClaw- said:
i find it funny that the people are commenting so much on the blank faces when the ships mental models are actually Artificial intelligence beings so u would expect them to be a little blank dont u think, the side characters emotional appearance seems to be good at least and the MC has improved a bit mind u just a bit they really need to put more emotion unto him the most

Also it as a nice change of pace that this whole episode was dedicated for the entire battle especially at this early in the series because most anime series have there battles to about 30 sec to 2 min

Overall it is still good They still need to work on the character models but i believe they improved a little from the last episode

Yeah.

What a fantastic episode.

BurntJelly said:
Cute ED.

Barion-Zara said:
Loved Takao. She's Hot! and cute (when she blushed)
Awe! http://i44.tinypic.com/dqqcxx.jpg <- that CG does not look bad at all

I really enjoyed this episode. I hope the future battles continue at this level of excitement. This anime is turning out to be one of my favorites this season.

Same here, I love these kinds of scifi shows and this one is totally delivering so far so I hope it keeps it up. I think overall the CG has been very impressive and it's nice to see how far character CG has come too.

Hopefully they keep the pacing steady and it does well enough for a second season since this definitely looks like it has the meat for more than just 12/13 eps.
DangerMouseDMOct 20, 2013 2:42 PM
Oct 20, 2013 4:29 PM

Mar 2009
I'm basically watching this for the cute girls. Takao is lovely.
Oct 20, 2013 4:49 PM

May 2012
00:49 please sink me, next

04:34 <3

08:02 let us engage, Takao

21:00 yay Takao's still alive <3

LOL. It was okay. 6/10 for this ep. Putting this on-hold.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Oct 21, 2013 3:07 PM

Apr 2011
-ShadowClaw- said:

You have some inormation wrong here.
Oct 22, 2013 12:06 PM

Mar 2012
Tenzen12 said:
-ShadowClaw- said:

You have some inormation wrong here.

Oct 24, 2013 12:14 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty entertaining episode. Liking this show so far.

Can't wait for them to explain the origin and motives behind the Fleet of Fog.
Salmon is delicious.
Oct 24, 2013 4:36 AM

Apr 2013
Good episode. Very entertaining ship battle. Btw did anyone notice those posters ?
Oct 26, 2013 12:00 PM

Oct 2009
Still not sure whether I like this or not..hmm..was a bit bored..
The CG is fine they blend in pretty good if you ask me, well Gunzou looks weird everyone else is fine.

So...ship harem? o.o
Nov 29, 2013 5:46 PM
Jun 2012
Forgetfulness said:
Also, I'm wondering what the 401 does if it's damaged and does t run out of weapons? Or is it that stuff magically regenerated?

The ship uses special resources called 'nanomaterial' to fix itself, i.e. it can heal itself as long as it's got a supply of nanomaterial. Hyuuga mentioned that she could make anything provided she knew the formula and had enough nano-material available.

Note that Hyuuga made makie's medicine remember just by looking up info on her condition, also the food at the beach was all artificially made by hyuuga and makie comments on the meat being 'not as good' as real beef.

Forgetfulness said:

The way the characters look is still the same as last time. In other words, fucking horrible

The quality of the characters change from episode to episode and scene to scene. Note that the room and 401 were basically blank originally. If you noticed as the show goes on the room slowly gets more detailed I'm sure that's some kind of subtle subtext to show iona's/the fog's growth in becoming more human.

The last two episodes takao and hyuuga seem to be among the best made characters despite some flaws with their movement. The "Iona" model is all over the map, in the first episode she goes from really detailed to super undetailed when she's poking the starfish. Also her 'sisters' are super undetailed when meeting takao.

They clearly had problems modelling iona and doing lighting properly for 3D cell shaded characters. Iona's 2D picture is much better than her 3D rendering all around but there are some good scenes where they seemed to render her ok.
super88Nov 29, 2013 6:16 PM
Dec 30, 2013 12:24 PM

Jun 2008
Dat mechanic and her poses.
http://postimg.org/image/3y9d1bb4f/

People are right about CGI not being good enough to replace humans. For the battles is fine enough but human movements a facial expressions are better represented by clear 2D animation. CG makes them move like weird robots.

Phaetons_Folly said:
The episode was good, but the surprise derp gun killed it for me. This series feels a lot less interesting knowing Submarine 401 has a weapon that most likely could instantly kill any opponent.

The other ship had the same type weapon too so i don't see where the problem is.
Jan 8, 2014 8:20 PM

Oct 2012
Tsundere harem member is coming!!!
Also the fight 401 against Hyuuga.. There isn't in any episode right?

Cute end card xD

DannyREN said:
So...ship harem? o.o

Doesn't matter as long it's harem xD
"Signature removed"
Mar 10, 2014 6:05 AM

Sep 2011
Definitely better than the first episode. Things flowed together a lot smoother, though that could have been because more than half the episode was spent in a battle. xD
Mar 29, 2014 7:16 AM
May 2012
Monad said:
Dat mechanic and her poses.
http://postimg.org/image/3y9d1bb4f/

People are right about CGI not being good enough to replace humans. For the battles is fine enough but human movements a facial expressions are better represented by clear 2D animation. CG makes them move like weird robots.

I fucking agree!!!!
Iona is cute especially with that voice, and Takao is hot :3
Them girls are lookin' fine, but them boys are kinda weird.
I can't even see the other guy's face because of that thing he wears.
Sweet, harem, might save me.
I was still pretty bored but the fight was clever and nice.
Apr 1, 2014 6:43 PM

Jan 2013
Gunzou is really a good captain,he saved the ship.
I like how this is going :D

Iolo said:
And Takao falls in love with a mere human?

I also thought the same.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 7, 2014 6:22 AM

May 2012
Pretty neat episode, it's still hard to look besides the cgi but other than that the story is well developing.
Apr 8, 2014 7:17 AM

Sep 2013
I play too much kantai collection to be able to watch this series objectively.
May 11, 2014 9:17 AM

Oct 2012
Torpedo rain !!! Great strategy and action against Takao. Liked the transformation to use the big ass cannon. Loved the end of the episode Takao end up being so tsuntsun so damn cute.
May 21, 2014 6:03 PM

Aug 2009
boats falling in love to gunzou O.o
Sep 24, 2014 11:36 PM

Jul 2008
Stitches327 said:
The start of a beautifully weird submarine harem.

My thoughts exactly. The question now is how big the fleet will be.
Nov 10, 2014 7:30 PM

Feb 2013
rewatching

Takao = best girl ship

lol at all the girls' measurements in the OP.

Super-gravity-cannon! Love watching them take out that sub hiding under Takao with that thing.

Battleship with cute girls AND lasers!
Dec 8, 2014 7:50 PM

Feb 2013
That was really entertaiging. I'm liking this better that I thought. The CGI is a bit bothersome but I am getting used to it. I like both the OP and the ED. Is it gonna become a battleship harem? If it can even be called a harem. They're ships, not girls. lol Great episode.
Jul 13, 2015 8:53 AM
May 2015
Just decided to start watching this series since it's available on Netflix and I have nothing better to do. I realize that the first episode is normally all exposition (though in this case it wasn't even remotely enough exposition), but the second one in this case was no less dull.

There's no real tension here, only long-exhausted tropes ("Fire the weapon? But captain, we only tested it in simulations. This is madness!") and characters we know basically nothing about. Sure, the visuals are kind of pretty, but what good is that when the narrative and overall setting is as awkward as this one?

I'll keep watching, but I really hope we get something substantial to actually grab on to, some stakes, some explanation as to what our protagonists are actually bloody trying to achieve here. Get the viewer oriented first, then proceed to the set pieces, that's storytelling 101.
Apr 24, 2016 8:01 PM

Dec 2013
This is my first warship girl anime, are they usually this hard to follow? I'm having a hard time understanding the character's intentions, let alone their stiff complex of unlimited child power.

2/5
Jul 3, 2016 8:55 AM

Mar 2010
I still love this show, rewatxhing it. Komgou best girl. :)

The emotions come later tho iona will stay kind of stiff rest i wont spoil.

I like the cgi or well lets say it doesnt bother me nor do i really praise it to heaven. Great action and takao cute tsundere :P blushing there
Mar 27, 2017 4:43 PM
May 2013
The ending credits were beautiful, and the battle was pretty good too
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

127 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

109 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 15, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

196 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 14, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Elite60 - Oct 7, 2013

242 by Ashhk »»
Aug 27, 2020 6:34 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2013

124 by djharvey »»
Jun 13, 2020 5:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.