Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 5, 2013 10:59 AM

Mar 2012
Airsyk said:
Esclair said:
Episode 10 actually proves that the whole trauma aspect was an unnecessary addition to the anime that really only served to muddle the narrative in the first arc. There's 1 line of dialogue that mentions the trauma in the episode 10 exposition, but otherwise the trauma sub-plot has to be taken at face value, so it's still terrible.

With Mirai's entire backstory revealed, the trauma storyline really plays no part in the larger scheme of things. It could be removed without greatly affecting the plot in the first part of the story. In fact, the whole trauma + Sakura aspects really muddled the real internal conflict Mirai had regarding Yui's death in the LN, but I guess with the changes they made to the overall story it'd be much harder to move the plot in that direction, so that's why they added trauma + sakura.

However, the addition of these 2 external factors really dilute what should be an interesting internal struggle for Mirai. They did add a lot of additional scenes due to the trauma/Sakura, so I guess it was more of a flashiness factor.

Or you know..she could have just been lying?

Trauma would make a good excuse to keep "practicing" to kill him. She mentioned trying to get over the fear by practicing on him, but we know she was actually trying. It could have just been more deceit on her part, which if that is the case, makes it an excellent plot tool since her next mission was to get close to him.

She wasn't actually lying, because in the beginning of episode 3, when Akihito wasn't there, she still had trouble finishing off the Youmu she was hunting by herself. Also, she doesn't need an excuse to keep stabbing him aside from the fact that it's her job to kill youmu, since she's supposed to be unsociable and a loner in the first place.

Also, Izumi told her not to get too close to Akihito, so she wouldn't go out of her way to establish a cover story to try to get closer to him. Not to mention she's not the type of character to create these kind of lies in the first place. She never really outright lies to him, just doesn't tell him the full story. In fact, she's pretty frank whenever Akihito is able to fish something out of her.

aiem said:
Esclair said:
Episode 10 actually proves that the whole trauma aspect was an unnecessary addition to the anime that really only served to muddle the narrative in the first arc. There's 1 line of dialogue that mentions the trauma in the episode 10 exposition, but otherwise the trauma sub-plot has to be taken at face value, so it's still terrible.

With Mirai's entire backstory revealed, the trauma storyline really plays no part in the larger scheme of things. It could be removed without greatly affecting the plot in the first part of the story. In fact, the whole trauma + Sakura aspects really muddled the real internal conflict Mirai had regarding Yui's death in the LN, but I guess with the changes they made to the overall story it'd be much harder to move the plot in that direction, so that's why they added trauma + sakura.

However, the addition of these 2 external factors really dilute what should be an interesting internal struggle for Mirai. They did add a lot of additional scenes due to the trauma/Sakura, so I guess it was more of a flashiness factor.

I wouldn't argue about your preference that it wasn't needed. In fact I would agree in another way that even without it they could pull the story off. It wasn't that vital. However, what they aimed was to add a little more to Mirai's character dimension.

If you say that her trauma and stabbing Aki over and over was a conflict on one another then you need to pay attention to the subtle stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/1rNNq5N.png

She forced herself to stab Aki right from the start. Note how it seemed rather odd for a stab. After seeing for herself that Aki didn't die she began to try and try over and over. It came to the point that she was comfortable with it and treated him like a dummy. In fact she used her as a means to train.

Then people would say she was a bitch for stabbing him so nonchalantly. In a way that's what they wanted to show. She just saw him as JUST a Youmu. She never treated him as a human or as a person. Hence the drama that builds up to ep 4 and 5. Gradually she understood how he was and that he was no different from a normal person.

Also sakura might have no purpose for now. But if you were paying close tabs to what was going on you could piece together what's about to happen. It's their fault that Miroku hasn't had that much exposition yet and is still a mystery character. Though, you can generally piece what Sakura was to be and why Miroku offered her ownership of the weapon IF she can kill Mirai.

I don't really think it adds another dimension to Mirai's character. It's only purpose is to be a flag for her past, and to setup some scenes to get Akihito to help her. In that sense it's more a plot device rather than an interesting part of her character, as it's just gone after the Hollow Shadow arc.

The major issue isn't with her stabbing him, but rather, her inability to kill normal youmu while she was able to stab him (although reluctantly). Even after being able to stab him normally by episode 3 she still couldn't finish off a normal youmu by herself. Again, it's more effective to show the growth of her fondness for him if she didn't have any hesitation on stabbing him in the first place.

My problem with Sakura is that she only exists as a plot device. In fact, a transforming plot device. I'll have to see if she has any major use in the last 3 episodes but right now my opinion is that she could have been removed and the narrative would be stronger.
Dec 5, 2013 11:53 AM
Dec 2013
Esclair said:

The major issue isn't with her stabbing him, but rather, her inability to kill normal youmu while she was able to stab him (although reluctantly). Even after being able to stab him normally by episode 3 she still couldn't finish off a normal youmu by herself. Again, it's more effective to show the growth of her fondness for him if she didn't have any hesitation on stabbing him in the first place.

My problem with Sakura is that she only exists as a plot device. In fact, a transforming plot device. I'll have to see if she has any major use in the last 3 episodes but right now my opinion is that she could have been removed and the narrative would be stronger.

Like I said, pay attention to this line.

http://i.imgur.com/1rNNq5N.png

What bothers her is not JUST stabbing a Youmu. She can fight back but she can't deal the killing blow. Seeing Aki was seemingly immortal she said those lines. She felt more confident since there was almost no risk of him dying.

Regarding Sakura as a plot device, I will agree that she is. I doubt that she'll be any useful in combat. As a character she has a potential. There are deeper things that can be explored here but time is almost up. They failed with Miroku not having that much exposure. There are key foundations why Sakura was justifiable to be here. Remember that the one who set Mirai for death row was the Inami family. The society was the one handling the matters.
aiemDec 5, 2013 12:15 PM
Dec 15, 2013 2:07 AM

Jun 2011
I think the problem might be is that the show is trying to incorporate far too much drama than it can fit into 13 episodes. It gets annoying though with all of Mirai's feelings. They are not organized and don't add up to me either. I don't like the unparallel plot format they are going for either. I feel like there are a lot of things this show could have done differently to have made me like it more. Then again I guess I'm not the only person in the world this anime was made for. I found the first episode really entertaining but everything since then I have had moments of irritation with which is why I haven't watched it in a few weeks. I feel like the characters are surface level and there's nothing interesting I find about their love any longer because they are suppose t be such good hearted people but I don't believe it. The show reminds me a lot of Hyouka's art style and I wish I could appreciate it's lovely art but the behavior of the characters just makes me so annoyed that it's not fun to watch. When I compare this series to others airing right now I just say meh when it comes time to watching the latest episodes. I feel like this series is suppose t appeal to boys more than girls in the sense that boys won't really care if the characters feelings/behaviors add up where a female viewer might pay a bit more attention to that. Also all the moe as frick fanservice they constantly parade. XP If I were watching this series during a shittier season, like say summer, I most likely could have appreciated it more, but since I can compare it to other shows out right now while watching it it just doesn't seem to cut it for me. XP
Dec 15, 2013 4:41 PM

Jul 2012
She was a lot annoying in the beginning. Now she's just mediocre. My main issue with this show is that it's hard to get emotionally attracted to any of the characters. Also, I'm still annoyed by her voice actress who sounds like a 11 year old acting her role.

...And her catchphrase still pisses me off. :D

@Above post: Agreed.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.