Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 13, 2013 5:04 AM
Jan 2013
It is just one of many problems with this show's direction and story telling - but still arising mostly from the character establishment of Kuriyama Mirai.

So this girl just doesn't make sense - is that only myself felt that? She apparently says herself that she has trauma of killing someone + says she is scare of taking someone's life. Then, she just single handedly put knife on someone's heart BEFORE even knowing that he is actually immortal, trying to kill him even after whatever she is available.

This is only second episode and there is still a lot of excuse that this series might be able to explain. However, this paradox that Mirai has is regarding her personality itself - 'I hate killing someone but I like killing you lol'. She just do it straight out, I just fail to understand what the hell the story writer is thinking.

Not just that, this character - as usual from Kyoani - has dump of moe factors including megane + doujikko that makes her personality even more questionable. It seems that staffs just decided to throw those moe properties for the sake of being moe.

This is not only thing I found strange from this show, but hell - her existence itself bugs me so much
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 13, 2013 7:41 AM

Sep 2012
I completely agree with you.

Kitchiri said:

Not just that, this character - as usual from Kyoani - has dump of moe factors including megane + doujikko that makes her personality even more questionable. It seems that staffs just decided to throw those moe properties for the sake of being moe.

well, not completely, because I don't entirely agree with you for this part. How will adding glasses and making her an airhead make her personality more questionable? What is her established personality in your opinion?

Perhaps her being clumsy challenges her setting, since she should have good reflexes, but she isn't really depicted as clumsy, so I'm assuming that your dojikko point refers to her airhead behaviour.
rainbowcakesOct 13, 2013 7:54 AM
Oct 13, 2013 9:42 AM

Oct 2009
Character development but only the writer knows about it.

I agree with the 'development' and 'story telling' ... it's just crazy. They try to pour a bucket of fantasy "awesomeness" and all the animation shower. then you remember... oh there was a plot?

Then this overly moefied thing of a girl ... I don't even know if she is THIS annoying in the original novels or KyoAni moefied her into a blob even more. And then don't get me started on the guy who's a lame excuse as a protagonist - c -
They look as if they were just passing through then , 'oh you look like a main heroine of an anime! let's be friends since I have a 'unique' ability too! did I mention I'm a perverted otaku so every guy can relate with me' ...

It just doesn't feel right. no cliffhangers.... it's like weak spaghetti sauce ... all you have to do is swallow
Oct 13, 2013 9:01 PM
Jun 2013
Most youmu don't look like humans...but she quickly stabbed a very human looking half youmu yet she struggles to kill uglier ones. I don't get it.

And yeah, her overt "moeness" is just disgusting.
Oct 14, 2013 2:32 AM
Jan 2013
Vatskan said:
I don't agree that her stabbing the protagonist in the beginning was left unexplained, as it has been shown that she can sense a youmus presence. She thought Akihito was a youmu, as she felt he was one, and she tried to kill him in order to overcome her fear of taking a life. She wants to be able to kill, and not to hesitate when doing so. After she learned that he was immortal, she took the liberty of using him for further practice, in order to overcome her psychological problem preventing her from becoming a spirit hunter, or spirit murderer, as she herself probably views it. This means that her actions are not contradictory to her inner thoughts and ideals. She is just having an inner conflict between two separate wills, that's all.
That can be one of the better 'excuse' that story writer can make regarding her character development. The fact that we have to guess-work around and forcefully have to make an excuse and exception for a character in order to understand her questionable, even paradoxical action - is already a sign of failure in the scenario.
Oct 14, 2013 8:56 AM

Jun 2012
Vox_Populi said:
Most youmu don't look like humans...but she quickly stabbed a very human looking half youmu yet she struggles to kill uglier ones. I don't get it.

she knows when a "supposedly human" is in reality a youmu (you can see that in the second episode), so she knew already that Akihito wasn't "completely" human, and you also can see she doesn't seems to know that there's "good youmus" (like that girl in the second ep) so that's why her first reaction was to stab Akihito the first time they met, she knew there was something off with him so I think that would be the excuse for why she did stabbed him like that without no apparent reason ("attack and think later" I suppose?)

I have to agree that first ep is just WTF WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??? and such, but second episode explain more things

actually, I like Mirai very much (most of the time I don't like moe-girls and such, I can't stand them), but she's just too cute to hate, and I like her style too lol

worst is the MC from Nagi no Asukara in my opinion, which is a HUGE crybaby for almost everything and you hear her whining all the time (and that after a while IS annoying)

at least Mirai "tries" to do things on her own, and pushes the intends of help from others (Akihito) and I really admire that! even if she is too clumsly and ends up failing falling, etc, but well, it's part of her charm I would say(?)
NemuriNezumiOct 14, 2013 9:02 AM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Oct 14, 2013 9:30 PM
Jun 2013
Aozumi said:
Vox_Populi said:

she knows when a "supposedly human" is in reality a youmu (you can see that in the second episode), so she knew already that Akihito wasn't "completely" human, and you also can see she doesn't seems to know that there's "good youmus" (like that girl in the second ep) so that's why her first reaction was to stab Akihito the first time they met, she knew there was something off with him so I think that would be the excuse for why she did stabbed him like that without no apparent reason ("attack and think later" I suppose?)

I understand she knew that he wasn't completely human. My point is, to relate back to the OP, she apparently has the trauma of killing someone but she immediately stabbed a human looking youmu in the heart, which would have killed him under normal circumstances I imagine. But she later struggled to finally stab the weird mummy eye thing? If you have issues killing, why struggle to kill the freaky monster?

As for her character overall, I'm afraid I already like Mitsuki more and she's barely been characterized.
Oct 14, 2013 11:51 PM
Jan 2013
Vox_Populi said:
I understand she knew that he wasn't completely human. My point is, to relate back to the OP, she apparently has the trauma of killing someone but she immediately stabbed a human looking youmu in the heart, which would have killed him under normal circumstances I imagine. But she later struggled to finally stab the weird mummy eye thing? If you have issues killing, why struggle to kill the freaky monster?
This was really a big part where I felt like "eww wth is wrong with the scenario". I've seen this kinda of characterisation in Bleach a lot (such as Ichimaru Gin, Ichimaru Gin...and Ichimaru Gin) but it normally comes out in long term story telling where writer can forget original personality of character. But in this series, only 2 episode and Mirai has 2 or more conflicting characterisation.
Oct 15, 2013 10:11 AM

Jun 2011
Vox_Populi said:

As for her character overall, I'm afraid I already like Mitsuki more and she's barely been characterized.

Wrong. I went back to watch the beginning part of episode 1 after I saw this, but this claim is completely wrong. She did not immediately stabbed him through the heart, she hesitated and her hand shakes like it did when she first confronted the ugle youmu, but then only she stabbed through his heart, and even when she talk, she kinda stutter a little. She was trying to get past her trauma, it's clear. Don't believe? Try to watch that part again then. She feared killing that ugly youmu, but did she stopped? She did not. She killed the youmu. It proved that she is not incapable of killing youmu. How is that contradiction?

Kitchiri said:
But in this series, only 2 episode and Mirai has 2 or more conflicting characterisation.

Do explain.

RedInv said:

I agree with the 'development' and 'story telling' ... it's just crazy. They try to pour a bucket of fantasy "awesomeness" and all the animation shower. then you remember... oh there was a plot?

Bolded: Tagged as slice of life, I guess it doesn't necessarily need a plot, though it might just have one soon.
ToG25thBaamOct 15, 2013 10:19 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 15, 2013 10:48 PM

Nov 2012
You know, I do think this series has a rushed development due to having a 1-cour series. I haven't read the LN yet , but maybe, just maybe, there are some details erased by KyoAni and the flow don't feel right in the end. I say this because the same happens to Coppelion, where I still question wth is good about it unless the arts, but after I read the manga it's really good. If that's the reason why we feel like "She is like this in previous episode, why is she suddenly like that in this episode?", I can't complain.

Yes she's clumsy, moe, and stuff-- I am annoyed by her clumsiness in first episode. But second episode, that first 5minutes has answered my expectation and that's enough. She may be your usual moe character, but she can fight and not useless. You might think she's annoying for being so contradicted. But you know, she doesn't want to be all friendly with Akihito from beginning, while Akihito does. That's why she feels uneasy with Akihito's friendliness towards her.

Aozumi said:

worst is the MC from Nagi no Asukara in my opinion, which is a HUGE crybaby for almost everything and you hear her whining all the time (and that after a while IS annoying)

and this is why I feel like dropping Nagi no Asukara.
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Oct 16, 2013 12:38 PM

Jun 2011
WorldInverse said:

Aozumi said:

and this is why I feel like dropping Nagi no Asukara.

My reason for feeling like dropping it was because of the NTR-like relationship that's going on.
Oct 16, 2013 1:00 PM

Dec 2011
watched the 3rd episode and she hesitated to kill again... pffftt

oh and she's trying to kill the last boss by herself :)

this girl is a moron~

and her power is overrated
Oct 16, 2013 1:07 PM
Mar 2011
there are two things you didn't get if you thought the opening was contradictory. one, her hand was shaking when she held the sword, which means she is still traumatized. She DIDNT immediately stab him which means you just didnt pick up that detail. And after she found out that he's IMMORTAL, she thought it would be a good idea to PRACTICE on him.

Every MC has to be male, extremely capable, powerful, with a good heart, or in other words, stereotyped to hell. It's not different than saying, that black guy is being contradictory cause he sucks at sports and gets good grades.
taj69Oct 16, 2013 1:14 PM
Oct 16, 2013 5:55 PM
Jan 2013
taj69 said:
there are two things you didn't get if you thought the opening was contradictory. one, her hand was shaking when she held the sword, which means she is still traumatized. She DIDNT immediately stab him which means you just didnt pick up that detail. And after she found out that he's IMMORTAL, she thought it would be a good idea to PRACTICE on him.
What you said is exactly why it is contradictory. >_>

Even with those blatant and cruel 'practices' of killing which could have normally killed anyone in an instant, she can't kill anyone else even now.

And about that 'shaking hand' part, iono what to talk about that. . Even without trauma of killing, perfectly normal person will indeed shake hands holding sword to kill lol. Thus, I can never buy all those explanation saying 'omg she is overcoming trauma by killing!'.
KitchiriOct 16, 2013 6:00 PM
Oct 16, 2013 7:46 PM

Nov 2012
Have read the LN. So yeah, Kyo Ani is the problem for messing Kyoukai no Kanata characters. My suspicions were true.

One good thing about this anime adaptation that it has much more actions. All other things are messed up, thanks KyoAni.
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
Oct 16, 2013 8:10 PM

Jul 2011
Natsu12345 said:

Wrong. I went back to watch the beginning part of episode 1 after I saw this, but this claim is completely wrong. She did not immediately stabbed him through the heart, she hesitated and her hand shakes like it did when she first confronted the ugle youmu, but then only she stabbed through his heart, and even when she talk, she kinda stutter a little. She was trying to get past her trauma, it's clear. Don't believe? Try to watch that part again then. She feared killing that ugly youmu, but did she stopped? She did not. She killed the youmu. It proved that she is not incapable of killing youmu. How is that contradiction?

Kitchiri said:
But in this series, only 2 episode and Mirai has 2 or more conflicting characterisation.

Do explain.

RedInv said:

Bolded: Tagged as slice of life, I guess it doesn't necessarily need a plot, though it might just have one soon.

LOL
LOL
LOL

WorldInverse said:
Have read the LN. So yeah, Kyo Ani is the problem for messing Kyoukai no Kanata characters. My suspicions were true.

One good thing about this anime adaptation that it has much more actions. All other things are messed up, thanks KyoAni.

Oh man this is exactly why anime Mirai's personality is wtf questionable, the anime staff messing with the characters/plot too much!!!! drop the rating from 7 to 6 just because of this.
milloOct 16, 2013 8:15 PM
Oct 17, 2013 9:50 AM

Jun 2011
WorldInverse said:

Man wtf. And I had so much faith in KyoAni.. ): Why did they made those changes I wonder
Oct 18, 2013 9:09 AM

May 2009
Natsu12345 said:
WorldInverse said:

Man wtf. And I had so much faith in KyoAni.. ): Why did they made those changes I wonder

Probably because they think their (moe-loving) fans are morons and thus sell more BDs this way. And perhaps also because they think the LNs aren't good enough to adapt perfectly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2013 9:12 AM

Dec 2012
Bunch of haters. You are just mad because she is adorable as fuck.
Oct 18, 2013 11:20 AM

Jul 2011
AO968 said:

Probably because they think their (moe-loving) fans are morons and thus sell more BDs this way. And perhaps also because they think the LNs aren't good enough to adapt perfectly.

Well, i think 98% moe-loving otaku in japan are stupid, so this is actually a good move from kyoani to get more money.
Despite the horrifying writing, i bet this show will sells a lot!!! Maybe even better than Kuroko no Basket, since the majority of anime lover in japan who bought the overpriced bluray are:
1. Stupid otaku who are intimidated by anime with smart plot.
2. Fujoshi.
(Jojo and SnK are the only recent anime that could break the rule and bought by lots of non otaku)
Oct 18, 2013 8:28 PM
Jun 2013
Natsu12345 said:

This is cute.
Oct 19, 2013 12:35 AM

Nov 2012
Vox_Populi said:
Natsu12345 said:

This is cute.

well but that is true.

tsudecimo said:

Nah to tell you the truth, both versions are fine by me because she can fight. I don't care how moe a character is as long as she's not an useless crybaby.
Oct 19, 2013 12:41 AM
Oct 2010
WorldInverse said:

No wonder this feels so meh....what's the point of doing these type of adaptations anyway? It seems like they are just using the name of the source material, the characters and the setting while discarding most important things of the source material, the characterization and plot...

I don't mind they trim the fat where necessary (that way I don't have another Attack on titan on my hands) but why make such broad changes?
Oct 19, 2013 3:20 AM

Jul 2008
She has a naive feel about her but she isn't that bad :)
Oct 19, 2013 4:22 AM
Jan 2013
WorldInverse said:
Vox_Populi said:
Natsu12345 said:

This is cute.

well but that is true.
No. That's one of the worst way to defend her action.

The key point is this - judging ONLY from the action of Mirai from the first episode (FORGETTING next 2 episodes + trauma excuse popping up), there is not a single point of view you can think her as 'traumatised' person. When did something perfectly normal like 'shaking hand holding knife to kill' became 'traumatised' action? Pure non-sense.

Stab someone (OR multiple attempt to kill) to overcome trauma? WTF?

millo said:
Well, i think 98% moe-loving otaku in japan are stupid, so this is actually a good move from kyoani to get more money.
Despite the horrifying writing, i bet this show will sells a lot!!! Maybe even better than Kuroko no Basket, since the majority of anime lover in japan who bought the overpriced bluray are:
1. Stupid otaku who are intimidated by anime with smart plot.
2. Fujoshi.
(Jojo and SnK are the only recent anime that could break the rule and bought by lots of non otaku)
Hold on. You sound so racist here, I have no idea what to talk about...

I laughed so hard to your assumption of Jojo/SnK bought by non-otaku, because that's just false. It is only the otaku population who buys BD - non-otaku don't even care from the start. Jojo has been known for having extremely devoted followers called 'Jojo-er' - explaining its high success.
KitchiriOct 19, 2013 4:29 AM
Oct 19, 2013 8:03 AM

Nov 2012
Kitchiri said:
WorldInverse said:
Vox_Populi said:
Natsu12345 said:

This is cute.

well but that is true.
No. That's one of the worst way to defend her action.

The key point is this - judging ONLY from the action of Mirai from the first episode (FORGETTING next 2 episodes + trauma excuse popping up), there is not a single point of view you can think her as 'traumatised' person. When did something perfectly normal like 'shaking hand holding knife to kill' became 'traumatised' action? Pure non-sense.

I don't really understand why "shaking hand" is perfectly normal. She is a youmu hunter, not a normal person. She stabbed akihito because she felt he is a youmu that has to be killed/hunted. And then, she learned that akihito is immortal, thus making him a practice dummy because she knows akihito CAN'T DIE.

You said "judging ONLY from the action of Mirai from the first episode, there is not a single point of view you can think her as 'traumatised' person". but in first episode she has clearly said "I'm afraid to take lives." Her shaking hands have been shown many times, aren't they enough to show her feelings?

By the way,
WorldInverseOct 19, 2013 8:06 AM
Oct 19, 2013 11:57 AM

Mar 2012
WorldInverse said:
Kitchiri said:

I don't really understand why "shaking hand" is perfectly normal. She is a youmu hunter, not a normal person. She stabbed akihito because she felt he is a youmu that has to be killed/hunted. And then, she learned that akihito is immortal, thus making him a practice dummy because she knows akihito CAN'T DIE.

You said "judging ONLY from the action of Mirai from the first episode, there is not a single point of view you can think her as 'traumatised' person". but in first episode she has clearly said "I'm afraid to take lives." Her shaking hands have been shown many times, aren't they enough to show her feelings?

By the way,

LN Spoilers:

Mod Edit: quote tower put into spoiler tag.
ThangLongOct 30, 2013 11:42 AM
Oct 19, 2013 6:10 PM

Mar 2012
Forgetfulness said:
Esclair said:
How come the second paragraph contradicts WorldInverse's statement in post #17?

Who is correct on this one?

ThangLongOct 30, 2013 11:46 AM
Oct 19, 2013 6:18 PM

Nov 2012
Forgetfulness said:
Esclair said:
How come the second paragraph contradicts WorldInverse's statement in post #17?

Who is correct on this one?

as I said, Forgetfulness..

ThangLongOct 30, 2013 11:47 AM
Oct 20, 2013 2:11 AM
Jan 2013
WorldInverse said:

Everyone is afraid to take lives, everyone can shake hands before killing - no, that is not an explanation of trauma. No-one knew that until she said it herself. Again, I'm just laughing at this whole concept of 'practising killing to overcome trauma' and how come that practice subject can be perfectly normal half-human instead of non-human youmou.

Just think that 'what would happen if Akihito was not immortal'. Is his first action of the 'attempt to kill' itself can be justified? If he wasn't immortal, he was truly just gone from this world. Does that really match up with her questionable hesitation with killing small youmou + her suggested trauma and her little to no hesitation when stabbing human like Akihito? Absolutely not.

Edited: Wait, there was no trauma thing in original LN? Then why Kyoani had to add that crap concept to ruin the show? What are they thinking? (*by AVGN)
KitchiriOct 20, 2013 2:15 AM
Oct 20, 2013 9:12 AM

Apr 2012
I dropped the show because of this after the first episode. The main girl is a moe bag full of paradoxes that stabs people for fun but is unable to kill monsters and the main dude is some sort of masochist (yet again) that just lets himself get killed daily just like that. I want some dude that actually defends himself against it for once, he had so many chances to atleast give her a good beating, but he just takes the stabbing just like that.

Nope sorry I thought characters were supposedly KyoAnis forte but this is a horrible mess.
Oct 21, 2013 4:21 PM

Jul 2012
tsudecimo said:

moe =/= cute
Oct 25, 2013 6:50 AM

Jun 2011
Kitchiri said:

Just think that 'what would happen if Akihito was not immortal'. Is his first action of the 'attempt to kill' itself can be justified? If he wasn't immortal, he was truly just gone from this world. Does that really match up with her questionable hesitation with killing small youmou + her suggested trauma and her little to no hesitation when stabbing human like Akihito? Absolutely not.

That is if killing youmo is illegal. Exorcists existed to exterminate youmo, Mirai exists to kill youmo, she was traumatized alright, but she needs to kill youmo, especially when she wanted to get over her trauma.

She hesitated to kill Akihito,
she too, hesitated to kill the small youmo,
and she still, hesitated to kill the other youmo,
but she did stabbed, Akihito,
she did killed the small youmo,
only that she did not kill her 3rd prey before it had the chance to escape.

Bolded: She knew that Akihito is a youmo.
Oct 25, 2013 9:49 AM

Jun 2012
Kitchiri said:
So this girl just doesn't make sense - is that only myself felt that? She apparently says herself that she has trauma of killing someone + says she is scare of taking someone's life. Then, she just single handedly put knife on someone's heart BEFORE even knowing that he is actually immortal, trying to kill him even after whatever she is available.

This is only second episode and there is still a lot of excuse that this series might be able to explain. However, this paradox that Mirai has is regarding her personality itself - 'I hate killing someone but I like killing you lol'. She just do it straight out, I just fail to understand what the hell the story writer is thinking.

Dude she is made to be somewhat unlikabale/annoying at the beginning it's the same in the novels no? You can't expect more, with the shitty past she had, it's normal that she contradicts herself when in regards at killing and whatnot. The question you should be asking at yourself should be "What is harder? killing a second time when you already killed someone in self defense in the past or killing the first time because you have a reason to". Killing is a sensitive topic you can't expect to have 100% rational explanation of someone's personality regarding this, you are not a murder(I suppose) so the problems you found in Mirai personalty are just... irrelevant and a waste of time to discuss.
Oct 28, 2013 8:51 PM

Apr 2011
This show needs 3 things from its viewer: Patience, attention, and clear state of reasoning; which not a lot of people been able to do it. Why? Because it doesn't spoon feed like any other chuuni shows out there.

as for

Kitchiri said:
It is just one of many problems with this show's direction and story telling - but still arising mostly from the character establishment of Kuriyama Mirai.

This is not only thing I found strange from this show, but hell - her existence itself bugs me so much

well, no.

Didn't you see her standing on the ledge? What do you think shes doing? Didn't you also see her trembling hand right before she stabbed him? And what do you think Akihito's been saying before he said "megane suki des'? If you failed to formulate all of this hints, then this anime is not for you. You'd better drop it right away.

The reason she keeps stabbing Akihito comes from Mirai and Akihito himself:
- Mirai: She never see him as a human. But a 'possessed' human by youmu or whatever existence which "not human" .It was also implied in eps 2 that she doesn't see Ai as a human being. You can see it like 'wolf in sheep clothing', no matter how 'sheep' it looks, but you know exactly that it is not a sheep. That was how Mirai sees Akihito at first. When she stabbed him, she felt a slight relieve of reasoning 'people don't die if they got stabbed'. So, she won't feel any guilt from stabbing Akihito and he will never die (it was implied in a conversation in a restaurant). I know, its fucked-up logic, please bear with it a little longer. (Anyway, killing != stabbing; please, do learn the difference))
- Akihito: He never distance himself from Mirai despite being stabbed countless times. Instead, he looks forward to it by staying late after school. So, the MC is pretty fucked too. For whatever reason we don't understand. Maybe he finds pleasure being stabbed by a bespectacled girl or whatever.

Regarding trauma. She said she was afraid taking ones lives. She always hesitates before killing youmu (MC's included). See here: hesitates != never/won't/don't want to do it. She will do it, but it takes time for her to muster all of her courage to finally deliver a killing blow. She's okay with slashing and ripping youmu apart as long as it won't kill them. It was implied in her fight with mummy youmu.

As for Moe properties, there's nothing wrong with it. Maybe it just a personal taste. There are a lot of Pixiv artists liking Mirai y know.
Oct 29, 2013 5:37 PM
Jan 2013
allflying said:
This show needs 3 things from its viewer: Patience, attention, and clear state of reasoning; which not a lot of people been able to do it. Why? Because it doesn't spoon feed like any other chuuni shows out there.
I have not intention of watching this anime to feel superior than others like you do. Everything you said, I've already done with its rebuttal in other post.
Oct 30, 2013 5:11 AM

Jul 2013
I don't know if this has been said already but I think the reason Mirai wants to kill the MC was because hes a yomou...when she said that she has a trauma of killing someone + she is scared of taking someone's life, I think shes referring to normal people..not yomou...
Oct 30, 2013 9:29 AM

Sep 2012
People keep going back to the whole "her hand was trembling before she stabbed him" thing.

Ok, yea, I guess you're right. But it was still a contradictory scene. The thing in her apartment, she was literally avoiding going home just so she wouldn't have to kill it. She would rather be homeless, out on the street at night, than confront a monster and potentially kill it.

She may have had a little hesitation when she stabbed Akihito.. but she's the one who backflipped over the fence to him and tried to murder him. She directly pursued him. And yes, that was before she knew that he couldn't be killed. She wanted to kill him.

I mean, later in the same episode, she showed more remorse for "killing" a bucket of water. A fucking inanimate object.

The purpose of the scene is obvious. It was simply to establish that Akihito is indeed immortal. They "showed" us, instead of explained it. Gave us "proof". It was an exposition scene used only for the purpose of introducing our main character's unique trait.

My problem with Mirai was how much of an asshole she was. Like, she was fully aware that she was causing pain to Akihito. And yet, she still tried to use him as a practice dummy every day. Regardless of whether or not she was "scared" to take a life, that is just seriously asshole behavior. She's just a bad person. And when she speaks to him, do we get a "oh hey, sorry for stabbing you through the fucking heart every day, even though I know that you still feel immense pain"? No. We get "you're unpleasant". Fuck you bitch.

Oct 30, 2013 9:47 AM

Dec 2012
ITT: People are confusing personalities they don't like with badly written ones. Same thing is happening in Golden time and Nagi.

Mod Edit: personal provocation removed.
ThangLongOct 30, 2013 11:14 AM
Oct 30, 2013 10:10 AM

Jan 2009
tsudecimo said:
ITT: People are confusing personalities they don't like with badly written ones. Same thing is happening in Golden time and Nagi.

Only hardcore weeaboofags don't like Nagi and golden time, just because the heroines are not over the mains dick from the start of the anime. Kind of like.....hmmm idk real life? Hence the seinen tag on them. But oh well they are both very popular in japan and both get 25 eps. I love how japan is slowly trying to break it's self free form the moe plague, but some people won't let it go.
Oct 30, 2013 11:50 AM

Dec 2012
Thread Cleaned

Personal provocation removed. Quote tower put into spoiler tag.
Oct 30, 2013 9:11 PM

Sep 2012
Red_Keys said:

She may have had a little hesitation when she stabbed Akihito.. but she's the one who backflipped over the fence to him and tried to murder him. She directly pursued him. And yes, that was before she knew that he couldn't be killed. She wanted to kill him.

I mean, later in the same episode, she showed more remorse for "killing" a bucket of water. A fucking inanimate object.

My problem with Mirai was how much of an asshole she was. Like, she was fully aware that she was causing pain to Akihito. And yet, she still tried to use him as a practice dummy every day. Regardless of whether or not she was "scared" to take a life, that is just seriously asshole behavior. She's just a bad person. And when she speaks to him, do we get a "oh hey, sorry for stabbing you through the fucking heart every day, even though I know that you still feel immense pain"? No. We get "you're unpleasant". Fuck you bitch.

/quote]

Well said.
Dec 4, 2013 5:02 PM

Jan 2009
watch episode 10 to know why Mirai is acting weird the entire time
Dec 4, 2013 6:10 PM

Nov 2012
this thread should be closed after episode 10 I think. LOL.
Dec 5, 2013 1:11 AM

Dec 2012
WorldInverse said:

yep yep

Haters will still bitch though. Fukai dis.
Dec 5, 2013 2:21 AM

Apr 2011
WorldInverse said:

This. xD
Dec 5, 2013 2:53 AM

Mar 2012
Episode 10 actually proves that the whole trauma aspect was an unnecessary addition to the anime that really only served to muddle the narrative in the first arc. There's 1 line of dialogue that mentions the trauma in the episode 10 exposition, but otherwise the trauma sub-plot has to be taken at face value, so it's still terrible.

With Mirai's entire backstory revealed, the trauma storyline really plays no part in the larger scheme of things. It could be removed without greatly affecting the plot in the first part of the story. In fact, the whole trauma + Sakura aspects really muddled the real internal conflict Mirai had regarding Yui's death in the LN, but I guess with the changes they made to the overall story it'd be much harder to move the plot in that direction, so that's why they added trauma + sakura.

However, the addition of these 2 external factors really dilute what should be an interesting internal struggle for Mirai. They did add a lot of additional scenes due to the trauma/Sakura, so I guess it was more of a flashiness factor.
Dec 5, 2013 8:11 AM

Dec 2007
Esclair said:
Episode 10 actually proves that the whole trauma aspect was an unnecessary addition to the anime that really only served to muddle the narrative in the first arc. There's 1 line of dialogue that mentions the trauma in the episode 10 exposition, but otherwise the trauma sub-plot has to be taken at face value, so it's still terrible.

With Mirai's entire backstory revealed, the trauma storyline really plays no part in the larger scheme of things. It could be removed without greatly affecting the plot in the first part of the story. In fact, the whole trauma + Sakura aspects really muddled the real internal conflict Mirai had regarding Yui's death in the LN, but I guess with the changes they made to the overall story it'd be much harder to move the plot in that direction, so that's why they added trauma + sakura.

However, the addition of these 2 external factors really dilute what should be an interesting internal struggle for Mirai. They did add a lot of additional scenes due to the trauma/Sakura, so I guess it was more of a flashiness factor.

Or you know..she could have just been lying?

Trauma would make a good excuse to keep "practicing" to kill him. She mentioned trying to get over the fear by practicing on him, but we know she was actually trying. It could have just been more deceit on her part, which if that is the case, makes it an excellent plot tool since her next mission was to get close to him.
Dec 5, 2013 9:25 AM
Dec 2013
Esclair said:

I wouldn't argue about your preference that it wasn't needed. In fact I would agree in another way that even without it they could pull the story off. It wasn't that vital. However, what they aimed was to add a little more to Mirai's character dimension.

If you say that her trauma and stabbing Aki over and over was a conflict on one another then you need to pay attention to the subtle stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/1rNNq5N.png

She forced herself to stab Aki right from the start. Note how it seemed rather odd for a stab. After seeing for herself that Aki didn't die she began to try and try over and over. It came to the point that she was comfortable with it and treated him like a dummy. In fact she used her as a means to train.

Then people would say she was a bitch for stabbing him so nonchalantly. In a way that's what they wanted to show. She just saw him as JUST a Youmu. She never treated him as a human or as a person. Hence the drama that builds up to ep 4 and 5. Gradually she understood how he was and that he was no different from a normal person.

Also sakura might have no purpose for now. But if you were paying close tabs to what was going on you could piece together what's about to happen. It's their fault that Miroku hasn't had that much exposition yet and is still a mystery character. Though, you can generally piece what Sakura was to be and why Miroku offered her ownership of the weapon IF she can kill Mirai.
aiemDec 5, 2013 10:16 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.