Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 10, 2013 1:07 AM

Jan 2013
M_intent97kg said:
I'm waiting for the 501st Joint Fighter Wing to fly in and save the day...

Best comment.
Oct 10, 2013 2:27 AM

Apr 2008
raionsama said:
PS: The moment I heard the ending I was so sure this was nano. HORRAAAH! Been performing theme songs for a couple of 2013 anime now. Good for her, not to mention that voice is appropriate for action anime like this one.
…that's not a guy ?
Oct 10, 2013 3:59 AM

Jan 2013
I actually like the CGI characters, because they still maintain a 2dish look.

You guys know anime isnt really hand drawn anymore anyway right?
Oct 10, 2013 4:40 AM

Dec 2011
Those fog ships reminded me of neuroi from Strike Witches. And it seems I'm not alone in that either.
kuuderes_shadowOct 10, 2013 6:41 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 10, 2013 5:13 AM

May 2011
For some reason remind me when I watched Kingdom.
Oct 10, 2013 9:30 AM

Sep 2009
Whoa. This anime seems to be very interesting. I find it new :D And it's unique :))
Oct 10, 2013 9:34 AM

Sep 2012
The ED is going to be the OP, right? Great that it introduces all the ship girls there...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 10, 2013 12:15 PM

Jul 2010
Am I the only who cant bear this CG at all ? So sad, I was so excited about this anime.
Oct 10, 2013 5:49 PM

Feb 2013
Iona is best girl in this season right now.
Oct 10, 2013 6:30 PM

Sep 2011
CG animations for the battle was great, but the characters on the other hand...
Oct 10, 2013 8:26 PM

Jul 2012
The CGI doesn't bother me as much since I watched Kingdom and bore w/ it for the story. Iona definitely looks and sounds cuter than her manga counterpart. But I'm a bit worried about this going the anime original route. The manga is compelling and one heck of a hidden gem. I hope the story doesn't lose it's charm especially since it's going to a short season. I'm also a bit worried that the bloody scenes will lose their impact if they ever go that far in the story because of the CGI animation. It also bothers me that Chihaya is behaving more of a silent brooder than that BA slicker in a suit w/ that reckless grin that just tells you "Yeah I'm awesome. What of it?" we got in the manga.
swordstriker21Oct 10, 2013 8:49 PM
Oct 10, 2013 9:08 PM

Jul 2012
Very interesting. I thought all the mental models would be like Iona (being ships and all) but they all have their own personality. Which is cool too.

I don't read the manga but Chiihaya is a good character so far, especially as he seems to care for Iona.
Oct 10, 2013 11:59 PM

Apr 2008
Christ so many superficial nancies in this thread. Hope you all drop this series then cause of the heretical 'CGI' bullshit. Don't want to see you moaning and complaining every episode after all since lol no way they're gonna change the animation to suit your prissy tastes.

Deviation from the manga aside, I have to say I wasn't disappointed in the first episode. Voices work in my opinion. Soundtrack was adequately epic and the battles were a treat on the eyes. Next episode we get Takaoooo my favorite ship.
Oct 11, 2013 4:18 AM

Apr 2011
swordstriker21 said:
The CGI doesn't bother me as much since I watched Kingdom and bore w/ it for the story. Iona definitely looks and sounds cuter than her manga counterpart. But I'm a bit worried about this going the anime original route. The manga is compelling and one heck of a hidden gem. I hope the story doesn't lose it's charm especially since it's going to a short season. I'm also a bit worried that the bloody scenes will lose their impact if they ever go that far in the story because of the CGI animation. It also bothers me that Chihaya is behaving more of a silent brooder than that BA slicker in a suit w/ that reckless grin that just tells you "Yeah I'm awesome. What of it?" we got in the manga.

Yeah lot of characters lost it's charm. Chihaya is most prominent case, but personaly I am bothered more they needed only five lines to completely shater Kongous character. And for Iona she is cuter but I will miss her snarking.

If I put aside adaptation fails, on it's own it was decent episode and I will gladly continue watch it (just hope they didn't killed Saori how that flashbag implied)
Tenzen12Oct 11, 2013 4:22 AM
Oct 11, 2013 10:43 AM

Oct 2011
Navel battles!!!!!
Oct 11, 2013 2:02 PM
Feb 2013
i'm not gonna like the CG if this series have a romance on it.
Oct 11, 2013 4:57 PM

Jan 2013
The CGI was a little odd looking in several places. But overall, the visuals are well done.

Really looking forward to watching this one to see how it turns out.

Epic naval battles seem imminent.
Salmon is delicious.
Oct 11, 2013 6:41 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty awesome first episode, exactly what I was hoping for.
All the visuals but the characters are excellent and I got used to the characters funky visuals pretty fast. I really like the logo for this anime aswell. Will definitely watch the next episode
Oct 12, 2013 5:37 AM

Nov 2010
Enter Iona! Enter Iona!

Enter

Iona!

What a grand naval fight that was shipped to us

A bit sad about the CGI characters, that was noticeably stiff
Oct 12, 2013 6:00 AM
Dec 2012
Didn't imagine a submarine was a sentient being. The concept is interesting.

The show is better than Machine Doll character-design wise though both are CG anime. It let me focus on the story without getting distracted.
Oct 12, 2013 3:51 PM

Jun 2013
Okay So They are using CG eh.. noticed that it was not normal Anime..:Well It has so far looked O K..

Good Starting Episode For The Great Serie.....Why I can't stop Excitement Shivers and Laugh!!!!! XD

Loved the way Iona just Walked into Academy and How She Introduced Herself to Her Future Crew!!!! XDXDXDXD

Okay So Chihaya is regarded as Traitor By humans huh....that was little Unclear to me in Manga...

And Takao is HERE!!! WOHOO!! One The Best Characters (and Somewhat Comedy Relief) Of This Serie HAS Finally ARRIVED!!! XD
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Oct 12, 2013 10:52 PM

Mar 2013
They're inside of her :D
Putting aside my immaturity, I was a bit skeptical about the CG, but I quickly gotten used to because of the overall animation during the battles were amazing :)
Hopefully this ends up as a satisfying series for me
4/5
Oct 13, 2013 4:05 AM

Mar 2012
What stupid army would be commanded by kids? And that is the last hope of the humanity...
Oct 13, 2013 4:07 AM

Apr 2008
AhmedHan said:
What stupid army would be commanded by kids? And that is the last hope of the humanity...
What are you talking about?
Oct 13, 2013 4:29 AM

Apr 2011
I don't think I saw any kids here so far.
Oct 13, 2013 5:04 AM

Apr 2008
Tenzen12 said:
I don't think I saw any kids here so far.

And there certainly weren't any leading an army? Maybe he means the mental models in which case he's STILL wrong
Oct 13, 2013 6:30 AM
Feb 2013
Some people just can't handle CG's. It's their loss. :D
Oct 13, 2013 6:44 AM

Apr 2008
OdaPi said:
Some people just can't handle CG's. It's their loss. :D

Some people are just plain superficial
Oct 13, 2013 7:58 AM
Nov 2012
AhmedHan said:

I think pretty much almost all animes with this 'end of the human race' thing has a kid with the responsibility of saving it a.k.a Last Hope of Humanity
{cough} Evangelion {cough}Vilerape....I mean Vilerave the Vibrator, Guilty Crown and (to some degree) Mirai Nikki.
Oct 13, 2013 8:08 AM

Jan 2013
Tenzen12 said:
swordstriker21 said:

Yeah lot of characters lost it's charm. Chihaya is most prominent case, but personaly I am bothered more they needed only five lines to completely shater Kongous character. And for Iona she is cuter but I will miss her snarking.

If I put aside adaptation fails, on it's own it was decent episode and I will gladly continue watch it (just hope they didn't killed Saori how that flashbag implied)

Definitely agree with you guys. Another thing that disappointed me was the naval fight with Nagara. It was a lot more detailed in the manga and was one of the things that hooked me in a manga that seemed like an excuse to draw cute girls + battleships. The fact that it only has 12 episodes makes me hesitate whether or not I should just drop this and stick with the manga. 3 episode rule I guess.
Oct 13, 2013 8:16 AM

Apr 2008
Aincrad2013 said:
Tenzen12 said:
swordstriker21 said:

Definitely agree with you guys. Another thing that disappointed me was the naval fight with Nagara. It was a lot more detailed in the manga and was one of the things that hooked me in a manga that seemed like an excuse to draw cute girls + battleships. The fact that it only has 12 episodes makes me hesitate whether or not I should just drop this and stick with the manga. 3 episode rule I guess.

About that I am curious about their pacing because we saw quite a few late manga ships in the showcase they did at the end.
Oct 13, 2013 8:33 AM

Jan 2013
Darklight0303 said:

About that I am curious about their pacing because we saw quite a few late manga ships in the showcase they did at the end.

Anime original route so can't really say but they might just cover up until the end of the fight with Kirishima and Haruna and fill the remaining time with flashbacks on stuff not shown on the manga. That's how I explain the lack of Yamato and the U-boat captain on the showcase anyways.
Oct 13, 2013 4:05 PM

Feb 2013
I like it! If a girl said to me "Board me"...

I usually like military/submarine movies, so I hope this anime will have some good battles.

The CG might be bad, but at least it's consistent.
Oct 14, 2013 1:43 AM

Apr 2008
AhmedHan said:
The audience's persistent image of adults are "slow to react", "many political bullshit, no action", "play dirty", "old-styled inflexible dudes", "binded by social rule/authority with no guts to break free" or something like that.
Thus kids are more appropriate to make an entertaining show.

Aincrad2013 said:
Darklight0303 said:

Anime original route so can't really say but they might just cover up until the end of the fight with Kirishima and Haruna and fill the remaining time with flashbacks on stuff not shown on the manga. That's how I explain the lack of Yamato and the U-boat captain on the showcase anyways.
"Mankind's first victory" seems like a good place to end the season and wait for the BD sales.
They can even show the flood of congratulation letters during the final ending credit to mark The End Of The Beginning
nseikaOct 14, 2013 1:50 AM
Oct 14, 2013 1:46 AM

Apr 2008
Where the heck is episode 2 anyway?
Oct 14, 2013 8:09 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Yippee!

Eventually you start, but ... Damn! All those expectations ruined by CG intrusive to the point of use for the characters. Unfortunately if you do not stand a step as technical choices, they will suffer the consequences of the animated series!
The decision to put the CG well for the PCs had to be subject to a level that makes you fluid animations and characters with a level of facial expressions almost similar to the 3D graphics used lately for the film of Captain Harlock! :)
So it's like seeing a series dated! Ugh!
We now come to rest, good plot that moves the first steps, so much action drew my eyes and also the narrative of the Cold War type, affects me a lot! * _ *
Interesting characters, for now.
I hope that the discussion remains on a high level!

In the light of what was said before, my vote is 4/5!
Oct 14, 2013 11:52 AM

Jun 2012
Not used to that much CG, so character animation felt a bit weird to me but everything else was good. Even with that, quite liked the concept and the action.
Oct 14, 2013 5:50 PM

Oct 2012
When i first glanced at this anime i thought, this is going to suck.. but it seems I've been proved wrong it has me at the edge of my seat filled with curiosity.

5/5

Oct 15, 2013 12:27 AM

Aug 2013
It seems interesting. I just dont like the drawing, they are ugly. This anime doesnt have that kawaii characters
Oct 15, 2013 12:38 AM

Apr 2008
beersandsmiles said:
It seems interesting. I just dont like the drawing, they are ugly. This anime doesnt have that kawaii characters

And that's a good thing. Too many kawai animes anyway
Oct 15, 2013 2:02 AM
Jul 2012
i've put this on hold, it might get better, but i just found ep 1 boring, i dozed off quite a few times
Oct 15, 2013 4:32 AM

Feb 2011
I really can't get used to the CG, it was so bad that I had to skip forward after the battle...but then I noticed that they use it for the whole episode.
Kind of sad, the story seemed nice.
Oct 15, 2013 5:10 AM

Apr 2008
Did the staffs make Gunzou's mother commit suicide ?
Oct 15, 2013 1:45 PM

Apr 2011
It certainly look that way :(
Oct 16, 2013 3:58 AM

Feb 2012
This looks promising, I'll definitely keep watching. I liked the OST and the animation, although I see a lot of people bashing the character design. I agree they're not the most appealing kawaii creatures, but I don't mind at all. There is too much moe anyway.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Oct 16, 2013 5:48 AM

Aug 2012
I like the content, but the animation is fucking ridiculous. Choppy CG all over the place. I understand the ships, but why animate the people with CG? This is honestly the first time I ever factor animation into my score.

6/10 Animation is bringing this score down.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Oct 17, 2013 4:01 AM

Jun 2011
Jyuu-niDesu said:
Darklight0303 said:
Natsu12345 said:
silvver said:

it's moe warships? can't you do better?

This. I have 1 major problem with this show, and 1 minor one.

The thing I hated the most is how they sexualize females. You can clearly see that they deliberately show the females' boobs and asses, in the ED sequence, and they just HAD TO MAKE THOSE SHIPS "female". We can never call male and female on equal ground, just based on that. How sad.

One minor problem is, how come the fleet consists of only children? They're the MC Gunzou dude's classmates, aren't they? Well that's not much of a problem, if they would just explain to us why did they betray humanity, I mean the rest of the crew.

The premise alone would probably work, but they just had to add in so many females for fanservices' sake, as some insurance. Sigh. I just hope that they don't make all the Mental Model females, for equality's sake

Hahahahaha that's the best joke I ever heard....wait you are joking aren't you?

i hope it is, but honestly, it is good that there are people that are fed up with the constantr fan-service the anime industry have been providing. But to take it out on this? than what makes show like Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai and Kill la Kill(She is not weaing any armor!!) or perhapse almost every other anime show that have been out there for the past 5 years.

Sorry but I am dead serious. I haven't watch Machine-doll yet, at least not in full, but I've read the manga, and the art in comparison is horrendous, they looked so much more kiddy in the anime. As for Kill la Kill, well underboobs everywhere. Not liking it's system much, because that girl got trashed without the help of her armor. I mean, like.. seriously? Got trashed without the help of her armor then pwned her opponent with the help of her armor? Make the armor the protagonist then, it would actually be a lot better imho.

Tenzen12 said:
Natsu12345 said:
silvver said:

it's moe warships? can't you do better?

This. I have 1 major problem with this show, and 1 minor one.

The thing I hated the most is how they sexualize females. You can clearly see that they deliberately show the females' boobs and asses, in the ED sequence, and they just HAD TO MAKE THOSE SHIPS "female". We can never call male and female on equal ground, just based on that. How sad.

One minor problem is, how come the fleet consists of only children? They're the MC Gunzou dude's classmates, aren't they? Well that's not much of a problem, if they would just explain to us why did they betray humanity, I mean the rest of the crew.

The premise alone would probably work, but they just had to add in so many females for fanservices' sake, as some insurance. Sigh. I just hope that they don't make all the Mental Model females, for equality's sake

-For minor problem: What exactly is your definition of children? Because with exception of Shizuka (glassed girl) they are around 19 years old, which makes them adult in some countries, and even in these where not it hardly can be called children.

-For major problem: Gender of ships is cultural, all ships are "females".In English, Japanese, even in my own language. That's how it is and manga provide several strong male characters as well, though I am not sure if anime will use any of them.

- Thing you hated most: Yes I agree, I hated it too and think this and effort make girls look "Moe" (and some other anime only flaws) puts it's original work into bad light.

- When the show first started, I saw lots of adults commanding those fleet of ships, there I thought, wow this is promising, even though the plot has yet to surface, but then after a while.. they shifted their attention to those little children (well.. youngster), and introduce that moe little lady (what's more, a loli) as the ship.. then.. well.. there goes my "children".

- Hmm didn't know that. Imho there is no point in genderization of ship because they're just a lump of metal, no offense. In the show, I just hope that they would make a few male Mental Model, just a few is fine.. Just so that we don't go "Ohhh so kewt" when a new ship is introduced

- True. Japanese animation is slowly adapting into this culture. ):
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 17, 2013 11:16 AM

Apr 2013
So far everything looks OK. Going to stick with this one for a while :P
Oct 18, 2013 6:06 PM

Apr 2009
OMG, did her mother slit her own wrist in the bathtub? O_o

Questions and lots of questions! Why are the aliens only using/appearing as world War II naval ships? Where did they come from and what are their intentions? What do they really look like? Why aren't they using aircrafts or spaceships? I guess I'll get in line and wait for more episodes to answer those.

I didn't much care about moe girls and anthropomorphism before but I couldn't resist this time because of the ships, naval battles, strategies and tactics, in that order. I haven't read the manga so I don't really know about the last two, so I'll just wait and see.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

127 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

109 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 15, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

196 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 14, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2013

153 by TechOtaku »»
Nov 23, 2022 1:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2013

124 by djharvey »»
Jun 13, 2020 5:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.