Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 2, 2013 8:08 PM

Dec 2009
Animation was beautiful. Now, I'm finding the characters uninteresting. Gonna wait the usual 2-3 more episodes before deciding if continue or drop this.
Oct 2, 2013 8:09 PM

Feb 2012
I've repeated the ED song so many times.
Oct 2, 2013 8:23 PM

Feb 2012
The premise was FVCKIN EPIC. I love almost all of the aspects of this show. KyoAni did something fabulous this season and proved that they aren't only for moeblobs. They can do freakin' action shows too.

OP was good. ED, I'd still have to finish listening to the song.
Oct 2, 2013 8:29 PM

Aug 2010
The look of this show reminds me alot of Hyouka which is definitely a good thing as I thought Hyouka looked fantastic. I guess high production values is just a given however with KyoAni. From this episode anyway it doesn't seem like a grand departure from what KyoAni has done so far which is mostly school slice of life. I guess it's a bit early to be expecting full blown fight scenes just yet but what we've seen so far looks promising; I think they did a good job on the Youmu as well making them monster-like enough that they look like what you would expect evil spirits to look like but not so terrifying that you can't imagine a cute girl like Mirai fighting them.

Not a bad start, looking forward to see where developments take us next.
Oct 2, 2013 8:29 PM

Jul 2013
Hybridbloodszak said:
As good as KyoAni's production values are, why must they always work on such "safe" premises? Such a shame for a talented studio

From a first impression, I could go on a rant with the characters but it's only the first episode so I'll give KyoAni the BOTD and wait until the show has found time to grow its legs. Until then my thoughts about them can be summarized as: *Yawn*

What's "unsafe" according to you? KyoAni has produced all kinds of genre from Clannad to K-On. I think the only genre they haven't done yet is horror/thriller.

For one thing most light novels have similar premises especially if they're on the same genre and they're only adapting it. Why should they refuse work if they're offered to do it? If we go by your standard then might as well stop watching anime since they all tread on the "safe" zone
Oct 2, 2013 8:32 PM

Aug 2013
Topnotch visuals as expected. Story hasn't got me hooked yet but definitely interested on how it unfolds.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 2, 2013 9:13 PM
Mar 2013
The soundtrack and visuals are stunning, good job KyoAni. But to be honest, my first impression for the plot is 'okay.' It seemed that the plot was moving far too fast for the first episode. Is this just me? Then again, I don't know how many episodes this series is going to be, MAL doesn't say.
Oct 2, 2013 9:14 PM
Nov 2009
KyoAni really delivered in terms of the visuals and animation, it's easily their best-looking show since Hyouka. Directing was also pretty neat, Taichi Ishidate has got potential.
Oct 2, 2013 9:20 PM

Feb 2012
ED IS FVCKING ADDICTING. WHO AGREES WITH ME? I ALMOST BROKE AND RAPED THE REPLAY BUTTON. So Chill and refreshing. Love it.
Oct 2, 2013 9:28 PM

Aug 2010
Bucket Kill

Gonna call it first, she's going to duel wield later on
Oct 2, 2013 9:32 PM

Jan 2010
Hurmmm...moe with violence! Not bad...it might get better after this..0w0

Oct 2, 2013 9:32 PM

Nov 2009
BakemonoHyoukaWonderland? anyone? interesting, but i should be lowering my expectations...

Oct 2, 2013 9:47 PM

Jan 2013
i like Mitsuki....alot

classic KyoAni cuteness with Kuriyama.

cant wait to see how this plays out...

someone looks like Unohana in the OP....hmmm
Oct 2, 2013 9:57 PM

Jul 2012
Wow that was way more boring that I thought this would be.
Oct 2, 2013 10:00 PM

Jul 2012
Wow, I really enjoyed the soundtrack. The animation is great, same with the voice acting but both are a given with kyoani. All that's left is a good story. The first episode didn't really impress, but it didn't disappoint either.
Oct 2, 2013 10:08 PM

Jan 2009
looks good i will keep watching
Oct 2, 2013 10:18 PM

Jun 2009
Reminds me of Red Data Girl but the style is unmistakably Kyoto Animation
Oct 2, 2013 10:19 PM

Mar 2013
My most anticipated anime for fall. Pretty good start.. sasuga KyoAni~! Hmm.. The guy MC looks like the combi of Satoshi from Hyouka & Mochi from Tamako Market. Mirai is a combi of Yui & Rikka, while the other girl looks like Mio. Didn't like the OP song but i really did like the ED song~
Oct 2, 2013 10:20 PM

Nov 2012
The opening of the show is interesting. Didn't expect he will be stabbed right away.

Character interaction and plot are ....rather boring. I kinda want more darkness but oh well this is only 1st episode, there's more way to go.

Animation is awesome. As expected from KyoAni.
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Oct 2, 2013 10:27 PM

Aug 2013
That first scene when she just stabs him with no warning like what I wasn't expecting that.
Really pretty animation and the story seems interesting.
wow gay
Oct 2, 2013 10:28 PM

Nov 2012
Ehhh... I don't know what to really say. Didn't really like how it started off but we'll see.
Oct 2, 2013 11:06 PM
Apr 2013
mmm nothing completely exciting happened so far but it was still kind of interesting. Will wait till the story develops more.. I think this become pretty interesting.
Oct 2, 2013 11:16 PM

Jun 2013
omg love OP and ED.

i'm lovin Mirai and the supernatural plot.

I think this is the start of an amazing anime *knocks on wood*
Oct 2, 2013 11:25 PM

Jul 2013
People really want to be first with a review or what? lol not exactly much to evaluate with one episode.
Oct 2, 2013 11:32 PM

Aug 2008
As a straight male, I'd say "bring back Free!, KyoAni!"

I didn't find this episode to be enjoyable, tbh. I thought it was jumping around all over the place. It starts off really serious as the narrator talks about suicide, then it shows the girl repeatly stabbing the boy for comedic purposes... also, I don't get all this youmu thing.

I hope there'll be more explanations in the future.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Oct 2, 2013 11:35 PM

Jul 2013
A good start of the season, just character introductions for the most part as well as a good balance of comedy, drama, and fantasy action.

The animation in here is really great, well since it is KyoAni there production values are amazing. Characters, and story were also good as well as the op and ed gives me two thumbs up.

Oct 2, 2013 11:43 PM

Sep 2012
Orsonius said:
Finally KyoAni uses its great animation for something worth while.
As it has always done because what it did have been worthwhile (perhaps just not worth YOUR while)

Orsonius said:
But still:
>Highschool setting
>Moemoekyun
>betaprotagonist
which are GREAT.

Orsonius said:
the OP and ED was shit as well.
If it is shit this is above average shit lol.

Orsonius said:
Overall was pretty good though looking forward to more.
Being tsundere?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 2, 2013 11:43 PM
Jan 2012
Utter garbage, as expected.
Oct 2, 2013 11:46 PM

Sep 2012
Ayaros said:
Can we expect any more from your post? LOL

skudoops said:
AndyRayy said:
Hmm, I didn't sense that at all (and I like Bakemonogatari). I wouldn't really go so far as labeling any show with supernatural undead type elements as trying to be like Monogatari. Care to explain?
The way the dialogue was in the first half was pretty much bake style.
Indeed the most common comparison I see in Japanese forums is with Bakemonogatari. Nobody talked about Deadman Wonderland though, but then the anime got really little attention when it was aired in Japan....
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 2, 2013 11:46 PM

Mar 2012
Ayaros said:
I want to know which part of this make it completely garbage?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 3, 2013 12:06 AM
Sep 2013
This anime looks really cool! The chase scene kind of made me laugh though, Mirai looked too cute with that knife!! Anyways, the story seems really interesting. I'll keep watching.
Oct 3, 2013 12:15 AM

May 2013
what an op!!!! felt like fate zero

and that was a very very good animation there, love it 5/5
Oct 3, 2013 12:26 AM

Mar 2012
Acxelion said:
Someone mind telling me what "Youmu" means?

Youmu = the subspecies of phantoms called the "half-human half-phantoms" (半人半霊 "hannin hanrei" or "hanjin hanrei"). Half-human half-phantoms are the mixed-race of phantoms and humans (幽霊と人間のハーフ), which have a largish phantom accompanying them and a relativity long life span compared to humans, Youmu (妖夢) probably means "ghostly dream".

^
Some of these info came from touhou

NeoAnkara said:
Ayaros said:
I want to know which part of this make it completely garbage?

Just ignore him, he is just a hipster.
look at all the anime he dropped, he got shit taste.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Oct 3, 2013 12:39 AM

Dec 2012
SHE SO MOE. Love her character design + clothes + motha fuckin' glasses.
KyoAni protagonists are always so sploosh, even as a relatively straight male. He actually reminds me vaguely of Araragi. In fact the entire episode was Shaft-esque. Which is definitely not a bad thing.
davidfreshOct 3, 2013 12:45 AM
Oct 3, 2013 1:00 AM
Sep 2013
So far, it's decent. The only thing great about this episode was the animation. But story-wise, not good. I'll probably give this anime a few more weeks.
Oct 3, 2013 1:17 AM

Sep 2008
Well, unfortunately I found myself bored throughout the whole episode. The characters didn't really appeal to me and the plot wasn't interesting either. Nonetheless, this is just the first episode, and with all the hype I've been seeing for this anime, I'm sure it'll get better eventually.
Oct 3, 2013 1:32 AM

Sep 2012
will "fuyukai desu" be the next "watashi kininari masu"? :3
Oct 3, 2013 2:50 AM

Nov 2011
Im liking it, will have to wait for another two to four episodes to get a real opinion on it but a very good start.
Oct 3, 2013 3:06 AM

Feb 2013
My first impressions is that it's interesting and I'm hooked. Seems like it may be a great series.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Oct 3, 2013 3:11 AM
Mar 2008
Usual moeshit art style made in KyoAni apart, the story looks interesting enough.
Oct 3, 2013 3:16 AM

Sep 2012
Don't really care for the main characters, and I'm finding the glasses girl to be unlikable.
Oct 3, 2013 3:16 AM
Aug 2012
Best anime I've seen this season!
Though I've only watched this and Coppelion so far...
I really hate these moeshit characters...
Oct 3, 2013 3:19 AM

Jun 2009
While I'm not quite a fan of how much of an air-head she is...

I gatha say, it's interesting so far.

EDIT: The opening...

OMG! THERE'S A FUCKING SPEAR USER! I FREAKING LOVE SPEARS!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2013 3:25 AM

Jan 2011
Could be an awesome show! Animations are absolutely stunning (the chasing scene!, Mirai summoning her sword etc.), way better than Free! I love the colors, also the look and feel of the two main charas. And i like the „style of the action“, better than the most Hollywood garbage! =p And the fun alongside the action within this first episode was great (Mirai falling over Akihitos trap ^^, but than those absolutely cool and awesome animated jumps downstairs). I think the action will develop in some more serious stuff later (at least I hope so), but in the first episode it was realy something I enjoyed very much. ^^ OP/ED awesome \o/ Great Job KyoAni!!!
Oct 3, 2013 3:43 AM

Apr 2013
Nice start, stabbing Akihito and I was like :O
The OP is nice too :) I feel bad for Mirai </3 looking forward to the next episodee excitedd
Oct 3, 2013 4:18 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Definitely up to standard with other KyoAni works without anything ground breaking (not that I think there is a need to be). Anyway, this was a good episode but I'll be closely following to see where the plot is pointed towards.

OP was, well I've forgotten it already, sound design hasn't really stuck out for me yet, great ED and characters seem set up pretty good so far. My initial impression of Mirai was just a badass all the way through so that difference threw me off a little bit.

Seems great so far, but we'll see.
Oct 3, 2013 4:23 AM

Jun 2008
I just didn't like the main girl &&"
Overall the anime is kinda interesting looking forward the next epi and to black hair guy

Oct 3, 2013 4:29 AM
Oct 2007
"dark fantasy" huh. Hirasawa Yui...useless demon hunter
Oct 3, 2013 5:02 AM
Mar 2013
Gahh! after all of these positive reviews, I'll watch it. For christ sake, I'm a romance genre fan. Probably because I'm a loner.

I just hope my senses would never fail me after watching this. o.0
Oct 3, 2013 5:09 AM

Mar 2010
The artstyle is great, i like the MC but the story is no where near unique or interesting.. It's like mixture of animes stirred together (k-on+ Bakemonogatari + Haruhi + any other magic/demon/whatnot theme :( )

I don't find this ''fresh'' at all..
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.