Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 2, 2013 3:38 PM

Jun 2013
what kind of stupid reason is that? lol she's wearing glasses and she's also a klutz epic combination
Oct 2, 2013 3:38 PM

Dec 2011
Well, that was really underwhelming. I was under the impression that the pace was off and I got bored really quickly. Mirai doesn't seem to have much of a personality either aside of being clumsy and the interactions between her and the MC felt so awkward.
I don't know, it wasn't a good way to start the show imo, I hope it improves.
Oct 2, 2013 3:51 PM

Jul 2010
ED is amazing.Mirai is beautifuru.Loving the animation and OST.Pretty awesome start.
Oct 2, 2013 3:51 PM

Jan 2011
I'll agree that the lack of development of Mirai's personality was probably the most off-putting aspect of the first episode. Hopefully, they'll remedy that in the next couple. I'm getting a lot of Hyouka vibes from this one, which isn't a negative since I really liked that show. I'm actually surprised that the rating for this episode wasn't higher since many people are big enough fans of the Kyoani style that they will allow successful execution of the standard features of that style to override any minor plot or character deficiencies.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Oct 2, 2013 3:55 PM

Feb 2011
I'm confused.
are there only spirit warriors?
The youmu, can humans see them?
Are humans out of the loop with the whole spirit warrior / youmu thing? like, do they know?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Oct 2, 2013 4:02 PM

Jun 2010
HOLY SHIT KYOANI! This episode surpassed my expectations. We're still at the first episode but I can already feel it. This is going to be epic. So worth the hype.

Excellent OP and ED. Well, even though KyoAni is supposed to be trying different things, their cute and clumsy mainstream girl is still present. Not that i hate it though. I like Mio v2. I hope there will be an actual pairing between the characters ( in terms of romance ). I agree that Mirai is the weak link of this series though. I hope she will have some good character development.

Next ep will show us how can KyoAni execute this battle scene. I can't wait!

Awesome start. MORE!
Oct 2, 2013 4:06 PM

Nov 2012
i always love kyoani animation and its not any different from this
cute clumsy megane girl <3

May 2012
KyoAni sure is the best..Mirai reminds me of Fuko Ibuki,,.

Mar 2013
ehh not sure i understand the entire premise of this

mythical creatures? spirits?

been there done that, pretty boring episode
Oct 2, 2013 4:08 PM

Sep 2008
This episode was alright. I feel very neutral about it but the animation looks really great. Not too sure if that will be enough to keep me around but I will look forward to the next episode. Not really impressed with any of the characters yet, except maybe Mitsuki. She looks pretty cool. Other than that, only the sword had me impressed lol. I really like it.
Oct 2, 2013 4:13 PM

May 2013
Can already see the direction Mirai and Akihito's relationship is heading but still liking the first ep. Always been a fan of superpower anime and am I glad the animation is superb and not just lots of flashes and lines making up fights.
Oct 2, 2013 4:24 PM

Aug 2013
i've been waiting for the anime adaption to this for so long!!! love the animation so far, not sure i really like the ost much, but it'll grow on me
Oct 2, 2013 4:26 PM

May 2011
Them production values are crazy good. OP/ED (especially this) are great. Hopefully the characters and setting get the same care, cause there was just so much info-dumping for the world building.
Oct 2, 2013 4:29 PM
Jul 2013
That was an alright episode. Great animation and interesting main character and the secondary characters. Looking forward to this anime, next week :)
Oct 2, 2013 4:54 PM

Oct 2007
I think I set my expectations just right for this one, which I think I'm getting better at every time when it comes to Kyoani anime. I'm sort of indifferent to the cast right now, but there's a chance for that to change. Not sure I'm liking the music as much as some though the opening song and ending songs were good (opening didn't seem to match the visuals though to the point where I'm not sure what I watched wasn't just a place holder opening sequence for the first episode), but then it's not really my preference either and this might sound controversial but I think I was a bit underwhelmed by the visuals.

They're technically good of course, but it sort of feels like a checklist of what I've come to expect out of a Kyoani premiere episode. Really well animated liquid effects, hyper expressive character reactions, sunlit schools with hardwood floors, lots of lens flare, all things that dazzle the eyes, but stylistic wise I can't really praise much. Kyoani is and has gotten really good at animating these particular sets of things no doubt I guess, but yeah very familiar with this style from them now that it's hard to get really impressed by it anymore. The comedy didn't make me laugh much, but it didn't have me completely groaning either other than the Mirai klutziness moments.

The main character Akihito is TEXTBOOK and I think it's here that I'm actually taking more issue than Mirai who by Kyoani standards wasn't that bad or I guess moeblob as some would put it though I am perplexed by her portrayal which I'll get too shortly. As for Akihito that inner monologue that never stops trying so hard to wax philosophical and wit, again VERY familiar by Kyoani standards except now instead of being just a completely normal average lazy dude he's an immortal who apparently has a glasses fetish which I guess is the shows groundwork for a setup for chemistry between him Mirai, though I'd swear if I didn't already know that this was based off of one Light Novel volume to date that they were skipping past stages in their getting to know each other. In general though I found some of the scene transitions jarring and hard to tell just how much time had passed. One would have to hope their relationship can progress deeper than what we saw in this episode and her just trying to stab him and him apparently liking it cause glasses=cute, but we'll see. Speaking of the stabbing thing, if this were any studio other than Kyoani I'd almost expect that to be played off as some sort of black comedy thing, but here it almost seems like they tried to make it seem almost charming and like a running gag which is very strange.

Mirai scenes in general were just plain odd. There's a really bizarre contrast between how she looks and how she acts at times and how the MC reacts to her yet other times in the episode it seems perfectly fitting. For example one moment she'll be tripping all over herself and other objects like her shoe laces are tied together and the next she'll be effortlessly leaping around acrobatically like she's an Olympic class gymnast and then be back to tripping all over herself all within the same sequence which creates a rather bizarre contrast. One has to wonder too why her first instinct upon someone trying to stop her suicide attempt is to leap over a fence and casually stab him in the gut. Also what's with her being okay with that without seemingly knowing that Akihito could survive the stabbing but having issues with killing spirit world monsters and lacking confidence in herself? She just seems sketch and like the only possibility besides character inconsistencies is that she know more about Akihito then she's been letting one which lends a lot of credence to his one friends warnings that she's to be avoided, yet in other scenes she seems like the daintiest klutziest non-threatening character ala your average Kyoani lead with her hiding (very poorly I might add) behind desks and being all timid and flustered so really not sure how to feel about her yet. Lastly one thing that didn't come as a surprise was that considering the character design included tights there's a lot of camera focus on her legs and feet for fanservice moments. That's pretty much a given nowadays in general.

Mitsuki was not at all what I was expecting and actually turns out to know Akihito first. To be honest I thought she was going to be introduced much later and be a lot more aloof and cold, but instead she's there from the get go engaging in banter with the guy. I'd like to say I found their exchanges interesting and amusing, but it all just felt like the usual kind of pointless mundane every day things and IMO lame comedy that Kyoani like to fill their shows up with, which again I anticipated so wasn't too bothered by I guess. God help the show if it wasn't trying it's hardest to make the gags stick though I also guess. Still she seems like the most sensible and grounded character in the show so far and I like her overall design though that's more of a predisposition than anything.

So yeah that was about the start I expected. It's tough to say whether I stick with this in the coming weeks and really depends more on the other shows I have in my to watch list for Fall (which is a lot) and how interesting they turn out to be versus this. So far not really drawn into this world yet, but I'll give it the usual 4 episode test and see if it picks up, but I'd be lying if I said I felt this show has much chance of getting meaty enough for me to keep up week to week strictly because that's just not how Kyoani tends to do with things.

rodac said:
I'll agree that the lack of development of Mirai's personality was probably the most off-putting aspect of the first episode. Hopefully, they'll remedy that in the next couple. I'm getting a lot of Hyouka vibes from this one, which isn't a negative since I really liked that show. I'm actually surprised that the rating for this episode wasn't higher since many people are big enough fans of the Kyoani style that they will allow successful execution of the standard features of that style to override any minor plot or character deficiencies.

Give it time lol.
PeacingOutOct 2, 2013 5:01 PM
Oct 2, 2013 4:58 PM

May 2010
Will be watching this, and being put on blast on twitter and blogs to much haha.
Oct 2, 2013 5:03 PM

Nov 2009
JD2411 said:
This is the moe version of Deadman Wonderland

best comparison so far lol
Oct 2, 2013 5:05 PM

Jul 2012
Mirai instantly reminded me of Fuko from Clannad at the beginning of the episode :) That ending scene was really cool. I really enjoyed this episode!
Oct 2, 2013 5:07 PM

Apr 2013
I think the mc is cute
I think the series will be interesting... but I feel it's going to lack something major, but I have no idea what.
Oct 2, 2013 5:07 PM

Jan 2013
I like the animation.
And that stab to the chest!
The op is okay.
I like the ed.
Seems like its going pretty well so far.
Oct 2, 2013 5:09 PM

Jun 2012
I've been waiting so long for this~
The start was interesting and this is definetly one of fall anime that I'm going to follow.
Oct 2, 2013 5:17 PM

Apr 2010
I'm not feeling it so far, but we'll see how the next episodes play out.
Oct 2, 2013 5:25 PM

Jan 2011
Was looking forward to this

Truly am a sucker for Kyoani but i been inching for them to do something more action oriented for a while so i'm happy about this !

animation top notch but it's to be expected,they really liked using slow mo/ motion blur now don't they

Music is pretty nice so far really like the ED

character can't say to much besides Mirai but shes has all the typical Traits for kyoani MC and i get it haha (it wouldn't be Kyo without Moe)

can't wait to see how well this will turn out.
Oct 2, 2013 5:44 PM

Mar 2012
Glasses chick is the living embodiment of MoeAni, but otherwise that was enjoyable. Loving the OST. Good stuff.
JoshOct 2, 2013 5:48 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 2, 2013 5:55 PM

Dec 2010
I like the characters and the premise, but the delivery fell short a little. Didn't exactly enthrall me, but I will keep watching.
Oct 2, 2013 5:56 PM

Jul 2011
Well...at least there is nothing to complain about the animation in this first episode.
Oct 2, 2013 6:19 PM

Mar 2013
Oh my gosh! Kuriyama is so cute :)
Having the ability to be immortal...I'm expecting him to lose a lot of blood in this whole series lol
Oct 2, 2013 6:26 PM

May 2012
01:32 dat MegaOta

02:18 what are they?

05:05 Mitsukichan to iu no ka <3

05:53 kawaii sugiru、shokku desu。

13:05 bijin detta!

13:21 dat A.

15:03 aww look at ofutarisan's bags

16:31 oh my beloved Mitsukichan

17:00 childhood friend? Akihito u lucky b...

21:10 i'm sure she's very strong

21:48 Michan <3

9/10 for this ep. Haven't seen such action-packed KyoAni in a while.
Dat ED by SDF's really good. Screw that generic-anison OP by Chihara Minori.
ShirubaasouruOct 2, 2013 6:37 PM
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Oct 2, 2013 6:29 PM

Feb 2013
It's a good start. A lot of exposition in some places and none in others that makes it a little jarring, but a good start.
Oct 2, 2013 6:29 PM

Sep 2012
WOW,
that was absolutely amazing, great way to hook the viewers.

of coarse not disappointed by Kyo.A , and truly shined with Mirai chasing Aki & killing bucket san, (RIP)

yoomu's seem cool and unique in there own way.

of coarse in the beginning i thought, hmm this is gonna be like Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro Chan ,with Mirai killing Aki over and over again.(just with out the "pi-piru-piru-piru-pii")

THEN i saw Mirai summon a sword from blood, and im like okay Sasha from Seikon No Qwaser(rofl)
haha but aside from that.

I REEEALLY look foward to the rest of series, prays for a 26ep.series.><
AND DAT ED!!!?
pfft could smoke to that.
Oct 2, 2013 6:32 PM

May 2013
Nice Episode
I thought the Girl was going to be badass I like the Immortal Dude
Oct 2, 2013 6:33 PM
Jul 2012
Someone mind telling me what "Youmu" means?
Oct 2, 2013 6:35 PM

Feb 2012
Love both the OPs and EDs.

Love dat animation and the cinematic feel during action scenes ( of which we'll see more of next ep! )

Overall, a great start.
Oct 2, 2013 6:45 PM

Apr 2012
Is that Jinbei and Ayaya I hear? XD

Well, Anyways KyoAni did a good job with the animation(as always :P)

The OP/ED are definitely a thumbs up ^^
Oct 2, 2013 6:49 PM
Jan 2013
Love the OP, the art was just glorious.

Not so sure about the story/plot though yet. Not sure what I expected but at least it wasn't a moe blob.
Oct 2, 2013 6:51 PM

Jan 2013
Probably the best artstyle I've seen in a TV anime. Just tops Hyouka.

The ED song and animation was amazing.

The premise is interesting and the characters are likable. Looks like potential romance
Oct 2, 2013 6:53 PM

Feb 2013
The only thing that bothers me with the episode and maybe the show is that the characters so far feel rather generic and lack any distinct personality. Also, the beginning reminded me of Hyouka so that was a plus for me. The ED song is pretty good too.
Oct 2, 2013 6:54 PM

Aug 2008
I really love the ED! The OP was good too!

First 2013 fall anime, and I have decided that this anime would be my priority!
Oct 2, 2013 6:57 PM

Mar 2012
I like the art other than the character designs. They're just downright awful.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 2, 2013 7:06 PM

Jul 2011
Not sure what to make of this anime yet…but I am feeling pretty optimistic about it.

The first thing I noticed was the OST, and wow, I couldn’t stop noticing the lovely music because it drew me in immediately. It’s very whimsical, cute, mysterious, and…magical. seriously I was thinking Harry Potter in the intro.

AND THEN LET’S TALK ABOUT THE ANIMATION and by talk I mean
that instead we just ogle at our screens and say

“ohhhhh pretty~”

and also, I’m really liking the colour scheme they have going on.

Zero complaints at all for the OP and ED. The ED appeals to me in a way that even I don’t understand. It’s just kind of cool y’know?

No idea with the plot so far. At times I’m bored and other times it has my full attention. Right now I see it tipping one of two ways

boring and cliche or actually interesting

I really hope it’s the latter, crappy plots upset me so and I’m bad at ignoring overdone tropes.

The dialog had it’s tidbits of wit and those little segments may or may not have been the factor to win me over.

AND THEN THERE’S THE CHARACTERS and I don’t know about them either! They all seem to shift between something original and cliche. Most noticeably with the main guy, one moment he’s spurting the same crap we always hear, and the next he’s acting in away outside of whatever typical character type you’d think he was bound to.[as in the kind but naive protagonist who will always put himself at risk for the sake of others kill me now ugh] Also, he seems intelligent. that’s all I ask for in a main character.

I’m remaining open minded to the cutesy-blood-girl because we’ll be seeing a lot of her obviously and you can’t enjoy a show if you hate the characters that have the most screen time. But. The. Clumsiness. Annoys. Me. how can she even be skipping around time and space the way she does is she’s supposed to be so clumsy? make up your mind already this is dumb.

I’ve seen the other girls character a thousand times already and that doesn’t even bother me anymore. fine. sit at your stupid little desk, call him a pervert every chance you get, act mysterious, relay information and have otherwise no impact on the story whatsoever. I give up.

also random teacher.

and with all of the bullying out of the way, as I said before I’m optimistic, this one has my attention so far, and I hope it keeps it. If not, at least it was a decent first episode.
Oct 2, 2013 7:12 PM

Jun 2011
Am I the only one that thinks this show is very similar (and I mean VERY similar) to Bakemonogatari? I mean, think about it; it's not only the mystery/occult premise that they share. The main guy is very similar to Araragi, right down to the immortality (or heightened healing ability), and his friend in the literature club seems like a combination of Senjougahara and Hanekawa: always talking down to him in a sort of haughty way (Senjougahara) while being seemingly his only friend (Hanekawa). The way the characters speak to each other, with the female character leading the charge and the male character reacting (typically flamboyantly) just screams -monogatari. And even some of the visual direction (such as when they were talking in the park) mirrored the way the Monogataris change visual styles at the drop of a hat depending on the conversation. I might just be seeing something that's not there, but to me, it's a pretty glaring and easy comparison to make.

Regardless, the episode was okay. I didn't like how they tried to force characterization at nearly every point, such as during the MCs speech at the beginning (typically all disguised, direct characterization, telling and not showing), and over the course of his many interactions with Mirai (I know you are immortal, it has been discussed and explained, thank you). Mirai seems like a typically KyoAni moeblob, but nevertheless, she's pretty likable. The art and animation were typically KyoAni fare: that is to say, they were excellent.

Overall, I'm going to keep watching. I was excited for this before, and even though it has disappointed me so far, I'm sure it will get better soon.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Oct 2, 2013 7:19 PM

May 2012
All I can say is I love the ending song! But for now, the story did not pull me in yet. Will watch for more...
Oct 2, 2013 7:23 PM

May 2012
VR-Yan said:
Is that Jinbei and Ayaya I hear? XD

Well, Anyways KyoAni did a good job with the animation(as always :P)

The OP/ED are definitely a thumbs up ^^

Haha, I just finished Mushibugyo before watching this then when the main guy talked, all I can remember is Jinbei...

Yeah, especially the ED, played the ending song for several times already.
Oct 2, 2013 7:27 PM

Nov 2007
"I laid my heart bear as I said something to that effect." Bear?! Seriously, CR!

Pretty decent start for the anime. Kuriyama is kawaii so I think that's a given that I will watch yet another KyoAni anime week-in week-out.

Let's wait and see for Mitsuki's brother(?) to appear. He will probably be the dark character in the anime.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 2, 2013 7:37 PM

Mar 2012
Is it me or Kyoani is changing?
You know that Kyoani is good in making Slice of life anime?

Free! = Kyoani`s first all boys main character show (Aimed at girls)
Kyoukai no Kanata = Kyoani`s first action shounen anime
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Oct 2, 2013 7:46 PM

May 2012
For a first episode not bad. I'll wait for the second episode to give it a score but I think I could see my self enjoying this.
Oct 2, 2013 7:54 PM

Jul 2012
Wow! Only the first episode....and I got a lot to talk about this anime. :3

Well, at first I thought it was confusing, since I didn't really understand what the main characters were talking about in the beginning, but I got it down later on. :3
Oh! And Mirai Kuriyama....she's so adorable~! > W<
The way she trips was really cute, then when she had the blue bucket on her head....so cute~! x3
I like her a lot~! o wo
The action was good too, even if it was a little bit only. :3

The way Kuriyama pulls out her sword really reminds me of the way the Deadman Wonderland characters pull out there weapons. :P

Other than that....yet another great anime from Kyoto Animation I'll be enjoying~! x3
Oct 2, 2013 8:02 PM

Jul 2013
I love the art and music!! Looks like we'll have another masterpiece on our hands folks.. let's see how the story folds out, hopefully it doesn't turn out to be dumb and cliche.

Kuriyama = a sane (or maybe insane?) YUI!! They even look alike >.<
MoeGodOct 2, 2013 8:07 PM
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.