Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 25, 2013 1:06 PM
Jun 2012
My interpretation is this:

Keima had developed feelings for chihiro (love) but uncertain about what to do about it.

Chihiro asks again (see episode 9 if in doubt) about why Keima went on a date with her to CLARIFY if her rejection in episode 9 really was keima getting back at her (aka I went on a date with you to get back at you for teasing me).

Keima confirms this by saying "you were not involved with the goddess/hell thing at all" (aka I didn't date you to discover you had a goddess, but to get back at you, I meant what I said in episode 9).

This falls like a tonne of bricks on chihiro as she winces in pain because she hoped it was a misunderstanding related to Keima having to do the goddess thing (aka hoping romantic possibilities still exist).

Keima shuts her down hard. (aka I meant what I said in episode 9).

Keima immediately regrets what he said during the same scene. He is vague/uncertain about his own feelings of love (?), we see him later on the bench crying wishing he had said something else.

She's on stage doing her thing and she breaks down crying at the very end of the song.

Enlighten me if I missed anything.
Sep 27, 2013 12:00 PM
Jul 2013
i completely agree with u because i felt that keima went through something very hard by making alot of girls fall in love with him. i think he lost track of his own feelings and was focused on saving the world.
Sep 27, 2013 12:26 PM
May 2012
interesting hypothesis there.
But in the end if there is another season then there will be a completely different plot.
But why chihiro????well i prefer tenri
Sep 28, 2013 2:45 AM

Aug 2013
it's just keima's way on protecting chihiro from getting into a deeper trouble..
you see what happen to kanon right?

despite being a jerk that only care about his 2d girls and "his ending".. keima is actually a kind person and actually "cared" about all of the people around him..

the thing is, not telling her about the reason behind the date and being jerk like that, is the only way he know to drove chihiro away from him, thus keeping her safe at the same time

thing probably won't end up hurting chihiro this bad if chihiro remembered about the first conquest and her"actual" first kiss.., since keima is the one that gave her that "push" to become someone special and not just a normal / ordinary person..

and no, telling her about the conquest himself won't help and can probably hurt her much more.. she needs to remember the feeling during the conquest by herself.., that's why keima didn't say anything..
Sep 28, 2013 5:45 AM

Apr 2013
Your reasoning certainly makes sense. But in the end, Keima has no reason to say such a thing with the intention of shooting down her hopes yet again. So why did he do it? I mean, what he said in episode 9 was pretty damn harsh, there was certainly a better way to handle it, even without coming clean. In episode 12, when she makes that comment about her involvement, he could have told her the opposite, letting her know that he said those things so he could get her out of the way and pursue Ayami, and further, that he only accepted the date with her to see if she held a goddess within her. That would have hurt, knowing he (apparently) had no feelings for her, but it would have been a darn sight less painful than believing he only dated her to punish her and cause her pain. So either Keima really did want to punish her and he was telling the truth there (which makes him an asshole) or he's an idiot who didn't know how to better the situation. But there is evidence in the series that it's neither of those. So i'm at a loss.
Sep 28, 2013 6:08 AM

Feb 2010
Keima isn't a guy who could easily have a girlfriend, and I believe he knows that himself.

Even though he might have developed some feelings for Chihiro, don't forget what he has been all this time. A gamer. And a really hardcore one for that matter that is able to apply game mechanics and equations in real life situations.

What riku_zero said about Keima saying those things to Chihiro in the last episode to drive her and protect her are plausible, but I don't think that was the only reason.

Did he love Chihiro? Did he love any other girl he conquered? (Remember how Chihiro said on the previous episode that he had to be serious with Ayumi to be successful)

I'm pretty sure that he realises that he is not a great BF material himself, given the gamer's path he has chosen (even though something might've happened with Chihiro since she's the one who sincerely fell in love with him, without remembering the previous conquer).
So, because I'm a hardcore gamer and have serious stuff to do, conquering girls with loose souls in their hearts and I have to make them fall in love with me, I have to reject you, but I might want to be with you anyways.
Sep 28, 2013 10:50 AM
Jun 2012
curzon17 said:
But in the end, Keima has no reason to say such a thing with the intention of shooting down her hopes yet again. So why did he do it?

Because she asked. Chihiro asked again whether he 'went on a date with her for no reason', remember she knows about hell now. The atmosphere in the anime is heavy to prove they both have feelings for one another. So it makes no sense for keima NOT to tell her the truth (aka she knew bad people were after her friend ayumi).

Keima had already shut her down in episode 9 (told her he didnt' love her), chihiro still has massive hopes/feelings that's why she asks (again) about whether Keima's rejection was a lie because she didn't know about hell then at that point.

Chihiro was fishing for Keima's true feelings and wanted/hoped she was a part of the goddess search because she could then forgive keima's actions towards her and start romantic possibilities again.
Sep 28, 2013 6:32 PM

Mar 2012
super88 said:

Chihiro asks again (see episode 9 if in doubt) about why Keima went on a date with her to CLARIFY if her rejection in episode 9 really was keima getting back at her (aka I went on a date with you to get back at you for teasing me).

I agree with Keima having developed feelings for Chihiro and not knowing what to do... but I have a different interpretation of Chihiro's side. She didn't just ask why he went on a date with her, she went right into "is there something inside of me?" And it's this part of the question that he actually answered. (He didn't actually comment on the date, did he?)

Think about it: she's just discovered that there are demons and goddesses and some sort of battle for Hell, and the fact that her close friend, Ayumi, had some sort of awesome important winged thing inside of her. In the original Chihiro conquest, that gap in her heart, although mixed with feelings for Keima, was ultimately about being special... shining. She even mentions Kanon and Ayumi specifically as having talents she will never have. Obviously, she got better enough to follow ambition and start a band... but I think finding out about this supernatural business takes the worry of being a "normal girl" to a whole new level.

Keima's rejection during the date was pretty horrible, but we know that she has, to some extent, accepted it. She helped him, and when she was watching Ayumi telling Keima that she *chose* to love him, Chihiro thought the same thing to herself. That's why I think her reaction has less to do with her feelings for Keima per se, and more to do with her insecurities. So, in my interpretation, what Keima said was, "You aren't involved," but what she heard was, "You aren't special."

She was really keeping it together during the concert, even pleased when Kanon showed up to sing with her... until she saw the wings. Kanon, Ayumi, even Yui... they're all part of something that Keima is as well, and she is not. Heck, I'm not an insecure girl myself, but I think I would feel pretty left out and upset in that situation. I imagine her thinking, "I can't be with him because I'm not like them." I think that's actually worse than only believing he acted like a jerk.

The part I don't understand is what Keima was thinking. I don't think he intended her to take what he said in that way at all, but I think he realized when he saw her reaction. I think that's why he didn't say anything else, because saying, "I went on the date because I thought there might be a goddess in you, but there wasn't" wouldn't really change the fact that she didn't have a goddess in her like Ayumi. If he were in conquest mode it might occur to him to confess his feelings as some sort of tactical choice, though it would be troublesome given all the other girls who like him now or who he may have to conquer in the future... plus, I think he's really lost since this is real.

That's my interpretation of that part... but I'm really not sure what he was thinking in the first place when he answered her question. Did he want to protect her by not getting her further involved? Did he just want to comfort her by indirectly saying that she wasn't in danger now? Did he simply not know what to say and went with a bare-bones answer? What are your thoughts?
Oct 7, 2013 12:55 PM
Dec 2010
I think he wanted to protect / keep her from the "Hell's business" thing thus cutting his ties with her. He regretted it but he would do it again anyway. If this was final conclusion of whole story she would most likely see through it,.. eventually but they have manga still being published so they would not make such ending right now would they....
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Nov 2, 2013 2:16 AM
Sep 2013
Keima is a gamer that focuses on main quest no time for side quest!!!!
Nov 2, 2013 5:55 AM

Jul 2010
I think you are all thinking Keima is like a god. He is not. He made a fault. And I think he is in love which scares him because he is now closer to real life.
When you watch episode 9 again you will notice events:
Keima conquered Chihiro (that is what he thinks) and was about to kiss her. But then Keima noticed he didn't conquer Chihiro and didn't kiss her. Then he listened to Chihiro's reasons which I think is unnecessary if Keima isn't really impressed. Then he let her kiss him. I think that pretty much shows Keima has feelings for Chihiro.
Jan 1, 2014 9:59 AM

Jan 2014
Wow Im impressed with you guys! You made a lot of essays here!

Oh Yeah! I love anime!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ermeson16 - Aug 26, 2013

156 by brunoyilli »»
Feb 19, 5:12 PM

Poll: » Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2013

302 by brunoyilli »»
Feb 16, 1:00 PM

» Chance of "TWGOK" season 4? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

no_soj - Sep 23, 2013

235 by Loguse »»
Dec 23, 2023 5:59 PM

» Continued chapters?

Mang_David - Oct 5, 2023

1 by Onedux »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:49 AM

Poll: » Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ermeson1996 - Sep 23, 2013

433 by waalex11 »»
Sep 13, 2023 2:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.